Are aforceforgood's posts offensive?

All things outside of Burning Man.

Are aforceforgood's posts offensive?

Absolutely. He intentionally aims to offend, and he's a good shot, but then refuses to cop to it when confronted.
8%
Somewhat. He's sometimes offensive, but not as frequently as others seem to think, and I don't think he really means to be.
8%
Marginally. His insensitivity is not a great thing, but I think getting offended is an overreaction.
8%
Rarely. Once in a great while he steps over the line, but mostly his comments strike me as humorous and/or harmless.
8%
Never. I have yet to read anything by him that I find the least bit offensive.
8%
Closeted. I think affg is a closet racist who is in denial about his own prejudices, which are nonetheless obvious to the rest of us through his posts.
20%
Who gives a shit? Can we go back to talking about the Barlow essay and the Governator?
40%

Total votes : 25

Postby Kinetic II » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:34 pm

Iso, your just jealous because with my longer legs I look better in a skirt or dress than you.

Seriously I get something out of almost all the discussions on here...even if I had plonk-ability I doubt I'd use it..and if I did it wouldn't be used long. My attitudes are held hostage by my short attention span problem...if it goes too long...

what was I typing? Anyway you see my point.

I really wanted a change of "literary scenery" that's why I opened my mouth and inserted my foot as I always do. It works.
Kinetic II

Postby Rob the Wop » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:19 am

Fine. You forced me to post it.
Sorry for the big picture, but it was orignally posted as a collage.
I'm the one in the blue dress (Miss Stimblaxweemee).
Behold my beauty and tremble.

The other, other white meat.
Rob the Wop

Postby foamin' at the mouth » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:49 am

oh my dear!!!
that scalloped neckline is tres chic!
can i borrow that dress?
I often heard the sorrel nag (who always loved me) crying out, ..."Take care of thyself, gentle Yahoo."
foamin' at the mouth

Location: that fishing village designed by interior decorators

Postby Rob the Wop » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:01 am

foamin' at the mouth wrote:oh my dear!!!
that scalloped neckline is tres chic!
can i borrow that dress?

Sorry m'dear. That one is already in ruins. I have a hard time with dresses, I can find them that fit me- but I tear through the upper arms and shoulders. If the dress fits my shoulder width and arms, it looks like a monsterous potato sack covering me. I can find ones that are shoulderless and armless, but they don't work for pulling off a "school marm".

What's a girl to do?
The other, other white meat.
Rob the Wop

Postby foamin' at the mouth » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:15 am

I can find them that fit me- but I tear through the upper arms and shoulders.

May I suggest a boatneck look for you then? You cant go wrong with that and a string of pearls.
I often heard the sorrel nag (who always loved me) crying out, ..."Take care of thyself, gentle Yahoo."
foamin' at the mouth

Location: that fishing village designed by interior decorators

Postby alice » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:06 pm

~trembling~

SEXEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
bitch all you want - it won't change nothin.
alice

Postby stuart » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:30 pm

I think when black people take a really long time to cross the street in a crosswalk, and intentionally block my car from preceding, it's okay because they're asserting rights that in fact they did not have for a really long time. I can show them a little extra respect now since they got zero in the past.

That's how I feel. Is that racist? Yeah, kind of.

It is racist if you think that all black people are prone to this behavior: if you expect it when approaching a light with black people waiting at the crosswalk. If, when you observe the behavior and speculate as to the cause and your internal dialogue goes something like 'there go those black people, blocking my way again. I wonder why they do it?' This also bears the taint. If it goes 'Hmmm, this has happened before, I wonder why?' I would find it not really racist.

As far as affg goes, yeah, he is a closeted racist.
stuart

Postby aforceforgood » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:28 pm

stuart wrote:As far as affg goes, yeah, he is a closeted racist.

And here I thought nothing would be decisively determined by this thread. If there's one thing I've learned Stu, if you think you can absolutely determine what someone is from their posts on a bbs, then all you're doing is making a jackass of yourself.

But thanks for helping me see whose arguments/opinions (or lack thereof) I should take seriously. Interesting how little basis people like to give for labeling someone they don't like, isn't it? And how little they will actually back up what they say when called on it...

Like when I showed exactly how Don Muerto condemned me for things I hadn't even said (He actually said them), did he defend himself or apologize? No. He did however post a lot in hopes of burying his faux pas... let's see what you do...
aforceforgood

Postby Don Muerto » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:31 pm

aforceforgood wrote:Like when I showed exactly how Don Muerto condemned me for things I hadn't even said (He actually said them), did he defend himself or apologize? No. He did however post a lot in hopes of burying his faux pas... let's see what you do...

That is not why I dropped the subject.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Don Muerto

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:33 pm

I think when black people take a really long time to cross the street in a crosswalk, and intentionally block my car from preceding, it's okay because they're asserting rights that in fact they did not have for a really long time. I can show them a little extra respect now since they got zero in the past.

That's how I feel. Is that racist? Yeah, kind of.

That's not racist. it's about the same as putting an elderly person in the place of a black person.

And by the way elderly persons = 100 points
children = 50 points
and black people = 200 points and a very big mess to clean off your hood.
DE FACTO

Postby Sylvia » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:35 pm

What a big circle jerk this all is.
Have a nice hot cup
of Shut the Fuck Up!
Sylvia

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:41 pm

Sylvia wrote:What a big circle jerk this all is.

Ah, The big picture evades you! eh?
DE FACTO

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:52 pm

DE FACTO wrote:

After 798 posts De Facto, the big picture evades me, and I'm quite sure I'm the better for it. Please go be quiet somewhere.

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:54 pm

abeerinthemorning wrote:
DE FACTO wrote:

After 798 posts De Facto, the big picture evades me, and I'm quite sure I'm the better for it. Please go be quiet somewhere.

Be the change you seek. :lol:
DE FACTO

Postby Kinetic II » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:31 pm

The more I read this thread and the opinions in it, the crazier it gets. I must be a full blown racist then because if I was in the crosswalk scenario I'd notice which group of people was blocking me and I would likely think thoughts like that.

At the same time I have those thoughts, there's no reason why I can't be friends with those same people, talk to them, work with them. I was raised around biased individuals, it's hard to shake that attitude when it was around you for years. Yet I consciously choose not to discriminate. I choose to ignore color. I try and push my comfort limits and learn more about everyone. Do I stereotype? You bet your ass I do. But so do a lot of others who claim to be holier than thou. I know that hispanic youth can put together some damn nice cars. I know some black teens that put stereo systems in hard to fit vehicles that blow my socks off. Is that stereotyping? Yeah, it is. But so what. They have the skills I need. ANd they meet the physical descriptions and they have those skills. I feel it's calling it like I see it. It might be racist. But at this point I haven't been shown or told how to approach it differently.

Maybe I'm just ranting and wasting bandwidth but damn...I'm going to be fragged for all kinds of things anymore. (I know, I'm not a target of this thread but in a general sense many of us are). I'm kinda sick of it. As long as I treat them fairly, as long as they do the same in return, I'll revert back to my golden rule approach. It's served me well. And if I'm a racist, well so be it. Get over it, and talk to me anyway. That's how I feel about this mess.

One last thing: People in glass houses should not throw rocks. We all have our issues. It's how we handle them that matters most.
Kinetic II

racist?

Postby SED » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:44 pm

Well, Kinetic, I don't know if mentioning this makes me a racist, but you're one, racism's good enough for me.

BTW, What better case for a good old fashioned lynch mob than Tony Duh Fuckwit?
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

Re: racist?

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:48 pm

SED wrote:Well, Kinetic, I don't know if mentioning this makes me a racist, but you're one, racism's good enough for me.

BTW, What better case for a good old fashioned lynch mob than Tony Duh Fuckwit?

whoa .....was that supposed to scare me?
:lol:

(See who the fuckwit is now?.....I don't suppose you do yet.

you will.)
DE FACTO

Postby Isotopia » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:49 pm

Douche pan.

(PLONK!)
Isotopia

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:52 pm

Isotopia wrote:Douche pan.

(PLONK!)

and this from a wanna be this Image

time to go our seperate ways. you don't bother me and i don't bother you.
DE FACTO

Postby SED » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:00 am

Happy trails.
SED

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:04 am

SED wrote:Happy trails.

asta.

and be sure to take this one to heart down the road later.

Image :lol:
DE FACTO

Postby Isotopia » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:06 am

(PLONK!)
Isotopia

Postby herself » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:14 am

By the way, I don't really think my crosswalk scenario is that racist. In imagining that scenario, in trying to understand why it happened (because it made me angry and I wanted it to stop), I tried to put my mind inside the black kid's mind that was taking his/her (don't remember which sex though I think it's happened a few times, I used to live near Oakland Tech) sweet time, and in doing so, it seemed like they were saying "hey, we have the right to take our time to cross this street and we're gonna make USE of that right, because we didn't used to have any fucking rights and now at least we have SOMETHING." Does that makes sense? What I'm saying is that if I were a 14 year old black kid, I'd probably do exactly the same thing. Assert my rights to the extent possible. And that includes walking slowly through a crosswalk.

However, just the fact that I'm talking so much about a potentially racially-charged situation feels kind of racist to me. And maybe that paragraph above is racist. It doesn't feel racist to me. But then maybe I'm wrong. That's why it's hard to discuss these things, because it makes you feel very exposed.

harriet
herself

Postby Patience » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:46 am

Your scenario doesn't sound racist to me at all. A little presumptuous, but not racist.
It's not that I hate you. It's just that I'm a much better person than you.
Patience

Postby SED » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:59 am

It isn't racist to say what you see. It would be racist to say that black people who block traffic do so because they are black and can't help it.

We're not talking about race, here. We're talking about culture. I am constantly having to slow down and pull around cars stopped in the middle of the street by people who can't be bothered to pull over. Those in cars have without exception been black. I'm sure white people do this too, but I haven't seen it.

Am I inconvenienced? Not greatly. I did witness a fire engine, lights and sirens on, having to slow down and move around a lane blocker. The guy had stopped his car in the road, got out and was idly chatting with a friend.

Any rationalization of rude, inconsiderate behavior based on past wrongs is bullshit. My recent ancestors died in concentration camps, but it doesn't entitle me to make German tourists go out of there way to get past me.

The car stopping, slow-walking shit is an example of self-defeating behavior well documented by non-racist people of all colors. If those young dudes were in a hurry to get some place, say to work or the library, there would much less for true racists to use as rationales for their stupid thoughts and words.
SED

Postby Isotopia » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:02 am

How would most people weigh in on this statement:

"As a waiter I often cring when a see a large group of African-Americans enter the restaurant because I know I'll be busting my ass for a very small tip - if I get one at all."
Isotopia

Postby Don Muerto » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:06 am

Isotopia wrote:How would most people weigh in on this statement:

"As a waiter I often cring when a see a large group of African-Americans enter the restaurant because I know I'll be busting my ass for a very small tip - if I get one at all."

Have you tried showing a little more leg?
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Don Muerto

Postby SED » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:16 am

Don Muerto wrote: I know I'll be busting my ass for a very small tip - if I get one at all."

Have you tried showing a little more leg?[/quote]

Or using more lube?
SED

Postby stuart » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:30 am

affg

you exist to me only online for the present. I judge affg. Affg may or may not be a fair representation of the person posting, but it is the reference I have to deal with and as such I feel quite justified in making a judgement about the persona. I have had as much exposure to affg as I feel I need to judge on this matter. You may now feel free to call me a whiney little bitch again.
stuart

Postby Patience » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:51 am

Iso- Having waited tables for years, I have heard that line from other servers a lot of times, and have confronted it as racist every time. To be honest, I found that, more often than not, I received shitty tips from African American tables. That's just what happened. But I never assumed I would get a bad tip. That's where the line is drawn for me. Acknowledging that members of certain races (or any other kind of categorization--elderly people generally tipped me poorly as well) generally tipped a certain way is not racist. The assumption that a table would do or be this or that based on the color of their skin is definitely racist.

Unlike most of the people I worked with who would "cringe", I also sometimes received quite generous tips from African Americans. I like to think that this is because I treated them well, whereas people who disliked waiting on black people did not. People sense that stuff, and tip accordingly. It seemed to me that those servers were often fullfilling their own prejudiced expectations.
It's not that I hate you. It's just that I'm a much better person than you.
Patience

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion