At BM, would a business suit be radically iconoclastic?

All things outside of Burning Man.

At BM, would a business suit be radically iconoclastic?

Please repeat the question.
9%
Iconoclastic Statement - Yes
13%
Odd but readily available costume choice
17%
Really uncomfortable desert attire
39%
Appropriate for all occasions casual and formal
22%

Total votes : 23

Postby blyslv » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:57 am

My ex-mother in law gave me this liller black double breasted funeral suit. I brought it this year, but niver got around to wearing it. Next year it's heavy on the starch and I'll burn my Jerry Garcia tie.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby Badger » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:37 am

and I'll burn my Jerry Garcia tie.

Oh man, don't do that. The only tie I own is a J. Garcia tie. It's actually quite beautiful - if such a symbol of herd behavior can be called such.

I hate the fucking Dead. I'm not keen on Garcia but my tie is really one of the most beautiful ties that I know of. If yours is even half as nice I'd take it off your hands
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Rob the Wop » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:38 am

The Cacos used to hold a formal cocktail party on the playa, black tie affair. Brought the suit, missed the party (blame playa time and assorted drugs).
The other, other white meat.
Rob the Wop

Suits and ties as symbols of conformity

Postby Angry Butterfly » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:40 am

It's kind of Ironic that a tie is considered a symbol of conformity, because for many years it was the only peice of clothing that really allowed men to express themselves in formal business attire. I knew a shrink who really loved his ties, and he had some very beautiful ones. I think the whole casual dress movement is kind of a shame. I have a beautiful silk suit I havent worn since moving to california, because people in the bay area have a suspicion of formal dress. I would rather see a suit than godawful pleated khakies and a swag polo shirt any day. Suits are way more creative than that whole generic khaki look. YUCK!
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Postby Don Muerto » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:56 am

For my part, I can't pick out at tie to save my life. Beyond simple color matching, I couldn't tell you if a tie "goes" with a suit or anything else for that matter. What does this say about me? That I was born in CA? That I never progressed beyond the Garanimals stage of self-dress?

I *do* look good in a suit, but they are a fuckin nuisance IMO. At that buttoning and unbuttoning of the jacket, the collar and tie noose, and having to hitch your pants to sit down. Ugh. Gimme jeans.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Don Muerto

Postby blyslv » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:04 pm

I used to call a tie a "symbolic leash." That got me alot of blank stares in the big city, I'll tell ya what! Also, ties always made me wonder if I was supposed to be ashamed of my shirt buttons. When I wore a suit everyday it was in Washington DC. It would be 99 degrees and 99% humidity and I'm wearing 7 fucking layers of clothing!

I used to love the fucking Grateful Dead! Sad to say, Jerry's still dead, but they opened my eyes to something or other when they needed it, back in the late 70s. But then I had an obnoxious, irresponsible deadhead roommate and it changed my perception. The best tie I have I bought for $3.00 on the street. It's a rip-off of Bugs Bunny.

Badger I'd give you my Garcia tie, but it was a gift to me and I do like it, but am too ignorant of design or color or whatnot to be able to see the artistry in it. It strikes me as kind of random.
blyslv

Postby Badger » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:02 pm

but am too ignorant of design or color or whatnot to be able to see the artistry in it.

Go neutral with the suit. Grays shifting down towards a light slate usually work well. Do NOT wear a white shirt, do not wear a shirt that's the color of the MAIN color of the tie, do NOT wear anything of a distracting nature (pins, tie clips, etc) in fact, if you wear earrings you might even want to take them out....

Jesus I gotta stop. I'm not gonna start 'Queer Eye for the e-Playa Guy.'
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby blyslv » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:04 pm

All very good bits of advice. I found that after donning a black pillbox hat and a tribal penis gourd I didn't need any other accessories.
blyslv

Postby Lydia Love » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:29 pm

that *was* an exceptionally fine outfit.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby Wind_Borne » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:33 pm

Angry Butterfly's observation of the irony of the tie is so apt! When, in a previous career, I was swimming with the sharks on Wall Street I had to show up every day in a suit. I found sartorial expression in one of two ways:
    Wear Italian suits instead of Brooks Brother's.
    Find the coolest ties

Cool ties were relatively inexpensive; and I had dozens of 'em.

Don,
Once you get used to the suit thing its a no-brainer: wake up, shower, put on suit, pick cool tie, go to work.

Oh, and the tie. It's not there to hide your buttons. It's only a symbolic leash if you think it is. But, truly, the tie is a phallus -- a long, colorful penis swinging from our necks and proclaiming our manhood! Don't ask me about bow ties, I'm not into mutilation ;-)
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington
Wind_Borne

Postby Lydia Love » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:34 pm

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to buy my step-dad a tie for christmas again...
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Re: Suits and ties as symbols of conformity

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:13 pm

Angry Butterfly wrote:I have a beautiful silk suit I havent worn since moving to california, because people in the bay area have a suspicion of formal dress.

Darlin'- I live in the bay area. I love a good suit (not a boring financial district suit)
I work as the staff photographer for a lovely gay dive called The Stud in SF, and wear a suit & tie 90% of the time. I'm known for them- I get weird looks from some first timers, but who cares?
I even wear sharkskin suits to fetish parties- I just let anyone unwise enough to question my attire as "fetish" that my fetish is looking better than them.
Let me know when you want to come visit my bar in a suit (Tuesdays or Saturdays are the best)- we'll work it out.

Hmmmm... will my playa be all suits, all the time next year?
Nah.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:21 pm

Badger wrote:Go neutral with the suit. Grays shifting down towards a light slate usually work well. Do NOT wear a white shirt, do not wear a shirt that's the color of the MAIN color of the tie, do NOT wear anything of a distracting nature (pins, tie clips, etc) in fact, if you wear earrings you might even want to take them out....
Jesus I gotta stop. I'm not gonna start 'Queer Eye for the e-Playa Guy.'

Personally I disagree. You're advice is perfect for the business world, but anyone touching my tie pins, collars bars or cuff links is gonna get back handed (unless they're cute and want the other side...)
I agree 99% of the time on the no white shirt rule- but a nice dark suit with a white shirt and the perfect vintage tie can be a killer look.
I own one grayish suit, one very odd green/gray/taupe Pierre Cardin suit that looks like it came from a very stylish republican wedding, and a pile of 50's and 60's sharkskin in blues, greens, golds, silvers, copper, pinstripe.....
Color color color
The world is gray enough as it is!

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Badger » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:48 pm

Actually Eric, my advice was a general on for the wearing of a specific type of tie. Because those J. Garcia are so vibrant my advice was put out there keeping in mind that the tie above all other things is actually the center of the ensemble. A white shirt with one of those things is definietly a faux pas
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Re: Suits and ties as symbols of conformity

Postby Angry Butterfly » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:44 pm

Eric wrote:
Angry Butterfly wrote:I have a beautiful silk suit I havent worn since moving to california, because people in the bay area have a suspicion of formal dress.

Darlin'- I live in the bay area. I love a good suit (not a boring financial district suit)
I work as the staff photographer for a lovely gay dive called The Stud in SF, and wear a suit & tie 90% of the time. I'm known for them- I get weird looks from some first timers, but who cares?
I even wear sharkskin suits to fetish parties- I just let anyone unwise enough to question my attire as "fetish" that my fetish is looking better than them.
Let me know when you want to come visit my bar in a suit (Tuesdays or Saturdays are the best)- we'll work it out.

Hmmmm... will my playa be all suits, all the time next year?
Nah.

Hey! I love the stud! I used to go to "Wedsnesday" ( with all the furries ) when It was going on. I would go as a devil girl with red featered wings and bring my friend Justice, and he would go as a devil boy with black wings. There was this bartender we loved there who appeared to be a wonderful classic bull dyke, but it is hard to tell in this town, we still remembber her fondly. My silk number however, is jones New York and more appropriate for the financial district. I don't have any men's suits anymore, i havent been able to find a decent vintage one in years, It used to be so easy to find them in the midwest for about $3 each, nice ones! Suits DEFINATELY count as fetish wear IMHO, At least I have a fetish for them. And a lot of (straight, bi and gay) Men really responded to me in one.
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:13 pm

Badger wrote:Actually Eric, my advice was a general on for the wearing of a specific type of tie. Because those J. Garcia are so vibrant my advice was put out there keeping in mind that the tie above all other things is actually the center of the ensemble. A white shirt with one of those things is definietly a faux pas

oops.
Me bad.

I'm not too familiar with the Garcia ties, being more of a vintage collector.

Sorry 'bout the mistake

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Houston, we have Thread Drift.....

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:20 pm

Angry Butterfly wrote:Hey! I love the stud! I used to go to "Wedsnesday" ( with all the furries ) when It was going on.

My friend Aaron was one of the people who threw that night- he was a technicolor bunny. I only went a couple of time though- Weds is a "recovery" day for me.

There was this bartender we loved there who appeared to be a wonderful classic bull dyke, but it is hard to tell in this town

Sherri-beth. She's is, and she's great.

i havent been able to find a decent vintage one in years

Ebay Ebay Ebay (apparently I like writing things in threes)
I have had the best luck finding great suits at unbelievable prices on Ebay.
One of my favorite ones is an amazing blue sharkskin I got for $25- including shipping! I'm an 80's thrift store craze leftover.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

RE:Suited to the inclusivity of BM.

Postby Dusty Mcgee » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:22 pm

The whole point of BM, (as a virgin '03 burner), is to be inclusive to ALL! I was given some shit for wearing some Tommy Bahama shorts and accused of not living the REAL BM lifestyle. Hey I had them in my wardrobe and it was hot and they were comfortable to wear....don't hate me but include me. This year I am already planning my wardrobe and a business suit was on the list. Not a good designer suit but a work-a-day suit that exemplifies the usual and the "everyone is welcome" feeling of BM. I also have a bearskin that Iam going to turn into a costume. Since I didn't kill the bear but found it at a second hand store, (or even if I did kill it), I will probably get some shit for it as well, but it will expand the minds of everyone there, which is the point of BM. On an aside: Does the man signify the "MAN" from the 60's as the establishment? I like to think that it does and when we burn the "MAN", we move on to an all inclusive community that lets us all walk around "naked" or in a suit. It would be great to have the same freedom in my small town and that is what I am working towards. Just some thoughts.
dusty[/u]
This message sponsered by "the Playa".
Dusty Mcgee

Previous

Return to Open Discussion