Burning house boat

All things outside of Burning Man.

Burning house boat

Postby Smokey » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:05 pm

Would anyone be interested in pooling together money to rent a house boat in the spring? I was thinking, if we get 30 or 40 peeps together, it shouldn't be that expensive. Lake Shasta has rentals and is a pretty warm lake. I'm thinking we need to rock that place burningman style!

If this sounds like something people want to do, I'll look into costs and space (how many people could fit) and post more info.

I think it would be awesome to have someone who knows how to DJ on board. swimming and boating all day, party all night.

Would people be able to commit without flaking? past experiances anyone?
If everyone in the ghetto were on mushrooms and E, the ghetto would be a place everyone would WANT to be.
Smokey

Postby Badger » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:09 pm

Hmmm....

Sounds do-able.

Sounds cool.

Especially if you punch the date out to round Spring/April.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Flux » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:15 pm

I'm definitely interested.
Flux

Postby Badger » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:21 pm

I'll bring the scotch and the diesel wipes.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Flux » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:23 pm

Don't forget to get the optional damage waiver insurance ripoff thingy. Then we can torch the boat when we're done!
Flux

Postby Badger » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:25 pm

Then we can torch the boat when we're done!

That's probably not anything that'll have to be intentionally done.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Blenderhead » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:26 pm

Can we dress like pirates? Yarghh.
Blenderhead

Postby rodent » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:47 pm

Pirate House Boat Party!!! I like it. Mabe rent 3 or 4 and lash 'em together (anyone read Snow Crash?)

hurm... could build a cheap raft with something on it to burn... (brain filling with ideas...)
---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)
rodent

Postby Badger » Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:40 am

OK, I'll say it. If it's in April then I'm in for two.

Five months to go, lots of time for the undecided to mull it over but I'm thinking....

If there are more than enough people interested then perhaps....
several boats... might need...to be rented...with the optional insurance....

Several boats by some obscure maritime interpretation of the law...

might constitute.... a....

flotilla. Flotilla could = trouble. Maybe.

Well, probably.

Pirates, supposedly.... don't like...

other... ships....... and well, you know....

I'm not suggesting something/anything (nor is my firend Todd)....

Fuck. I'm going to be. I'm drunk. G'night.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby herself » Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:33 am

Would anyone be attempting to MOVE the boat? Or are we just talking stationery here? I think it sounds really fun either way.
herself

Postby Blenderhead » Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:50 am

Yes, research must be done. Principally, do the maritime laws regarding piracy apply when said acts of piracy are committed by a group of voluntary participants on a landlocked body of water?

And this reminds me of an incident I read about here in SF a while back, where a bunch of goths (DeathGuild folks?) rented a bunch of pedalboats at the lake in Golden Gate park and practiced a bit of naval warfare on each other.
Blenderhead

Postby Don Muerto » Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:03 am

Blenderhead wrote:And this reminds me of an incident I read about here in SF a while back, where a bunch of goths (DeathGuild folks?) rented a bunch of pedalboats at the lake in Golden Gate park and practiced a bit of naval warfare on each other.

The Battle of Stow Lake. They say the frigid depths of that deadly tarn have perfectly preserved the pallid skin and stainless piercings of those who died upon it's waters...
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Don Muerto

Postby Smokey » Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:47 am

a 16 person sleeper is $1680 for 3 nights (mininum 3 nights). I have partied on one of those before, as long as everyone gets cozy, 30 people shouldn't be a problem. or bring a mat to sleep on the deck.

At 30 people going, thats $56 a person just for the boat.

So I'm thinking after gas (you gotta drive it somewhere!), food, booze (kegs?), it should run NO MORE than $150 a person. We could probably do this for about $100 a person.

If you are interested, email me at BurningHouseBoat@aol.com and let me know the following:

1) Dates! Your choices are:
A) April 8-10 This is Thursday night though Saturday night, be home sunday.
B) April 9-11 This is Friday night through Sunday night, be home monday.
C) April 16-18 This is Friday night through Sunday night, be home on monday.

2) How many people in your group are seriously considering going. This will determine how many boats we get (we might be able to negotiate a lower cost of rental)

3) Let me know any suggestions you have.

This is NOT a commitment to go.

By emailing me, I can save your address so I can relay information directly to you rather than on the message board. Even if you have nothing better to say than "any dates are fine" please email me.
If everyone in the ghetto were on mushrooms and E, the ghetto would be a place everyone would WANT to be.
Smokey

Postby III » Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:52 am

>How many people in your group are seriously considering going.

that probably depends on whether we get to keel haul tony if he shows up.
III

Postby Don Muerto » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:18 am

I think he should be Flogged Around the Fleet (see number 5)

I think this would be more sociable and fun than letting one houseboat have all the fun.
Don Muerto

Postby Isotopia » Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:43 pm

I'm already trying to decide. My one piece or two piece bathing suit.

Maybe I should put it to a vote.

Feeling sexy just thinking about it....
Isotopia

Postby Flux » Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:41 pm

Isotopia wrote:I'm already trying to decide. My one piece or two piece bathing suit.

Maybe I should put it to a vote.

Feeling sexy just thinking about it....

I vote for: One piece of your two-piece suit!
Flux

Postby Smokey » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:08 pm

Just wanted to bounce this back to the top. so far, flux is the only one that responded, so either people are still checking their calendars and such or no one cares to party on a boat............
Smokey

Postby Don Muerto » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:12 pm

Have you read the rental agreements closely for any 'no ramming' clause? I could get into mocking one up as a Phoenician trireme and

(never mind)
Don Muerto

Postby Kinetic II » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:09 pm

Iso: 2 pieces are better than one.
Kinetic II

Postby herself » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:03 am

don't get yer panties all in a wad there mr smokey I believe badger spoke up for two people and though I haven't said so yet, I'm interested as well. It's just that spring seems a long time away.

harriet
herself

Postby Tiara » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:23 am

You might want to check out http://www.redding-online.com/bridgebay.htm#air

The average water temperature of Lake Shasta in April is 58 degrees, and overnight temperatures are commonly in the forties.

There's a reason why houseboat rentals are cheaper that time of year. . .

Air and water temperatures increase dramatically after the snowmelt.
Tiara

Things you need to be aware of

Postby Layne » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:08 am

having done this for the past three years, these are the experiences I've had.

a.) Don't even THINK about going until mid June. The outside air temp and water temp combined are far too cold to truly enjoy it.

b.) Best to have around 15 to 20 a boat. (there are cheaper boats out there) burners tend to be resourceful and can get by with just your basic
boat.

c.) Get a ski boat or have someone bring one along. Very important for
ice runs and in-case there is some kind of un-forseen injury. Plus the skiing is always a +

Our config usually consists of 30 to 40 people with two boats Fri-Sun and
a ski boat. We go to a distant cove, tie the boats together put the sound system on one boat and use the other as a dancefloor. We have played
as loud as our sound system could handle for about 50 hours and have not once been harrassed/asked to turn down music by anyone.

Wish I could go but I'm already plugged in for one in July
Distrikt DJ
Camp Houligan
Layne

Postby Smokey » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:39 am

maybe we should push back the dates? I know two people with speed boats, but can't commit till they find out some dates, but ya, I think speed boats are a must.

And for some reason, insurance does not cover intentinal damage or neglect. So if we can convince them that the pirate flag, the cannons, and the 3000 lbs of gunpowder in the hold of the boats created the accidental explosion when we attempted to loot eachother, I think we can pull it off.
Smokey

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:40 pm

I've rented a few houseboats and have some unsolicited free advice

1. Check out the prop before you cast off. I had to pay for a new prop once because they said I damaged it (again, non-accidental/ neglect clause). They charged me $200 for it when I could have bought the thing for $40 and put it on myself in about 10 minutes. While you are at it, go over the entire boat and look for any signs of damage or previously repaired damage, mark those down on the contract so you don't get dinged for someone elses mistake.

2. Buy as much insurance as you can, and if possible pay for everything with a credit card that also offers additional insurance when using their card.

3. Bring along some extra gas to fill the boat up with when you return, just like some rental cars, they will gouge you to refill the tank when you return it empty.

4. Find out their policy on what to do if you have a break-down or problem with the boat. Some friends and I got stranded on Lake Havasu once on a broken down rental and had to threaten to take them to court to get a refund.
Chai Guy

Postby Raheer » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:46 pm

Blenderhead wrote:Yes, research must be done. Principally, do the maritime laws regarding piracy apply when said acts of piracy are committed by a group of voluntary participants on a landlocked body of water?

And this reminds me of an incident I read about here in SF a while back, where a bunch of goths (DeathGuild folks?) rented a bunch of pedalboats at the lake in Golden Gate park and practiced a bit of naval warfare on each other.

That depends. Are we saying that the VICTIMS are volunteering, (in which case it would be legal; it would qualify as a simple boarding action between approving vessels), or that the PIRATES would be volunteers, but that we would be striking unknowing, (and presumably unexpecting), vessels? Because in the latter case, we would be violating the Inland Maritime Commerce Act of 1794, which, if I remember correctly, calls for the death penalty!

Raheer, the Pirate Barrister!

ps: If it's in the spring, (or summer, anytime execept July), you've got two more between my fiance and me.
Politics. From the Latin poly, meaning 'many', and the Modern English ticks, meaning 'blood-sucking parasites'....
Raheer

Postby Lovemonkey » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:52 am

I've done this on Shasta and it's a blast! We had 3 boats tied together, parked it in a cove and weren't bothered all weekend. There were about 90 people and most slept on the rooftops so there was plenty of room.

Here's some advice:

1. DO NOT attempt to burn anything on shore, even in a makeshift firepit. This is asking for serious trouble.

2. Wait 'til at least June or it'll be like the Burn in 2000 and everyone will be wearing parkas.

3. If you have 30 people per boat your toilets will fill up after 2 days(again, like the Burn in 2000.) Be prepared for that.
Lovemonkey

Return to Open Discussion