I know what my weakness is.
16%
I know what others' weaknesses are.
11%
I have no weaknesses.
21%
I think I need to lower my dosages.
5%
What is all this touchy-feely crap about?
5%
Lighten up Francis.
37%

Total votes : 19

Enablers and Weaknesses

Postby aforceforgood » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:45 am

Alcoholics have enablers- people who enable them to slip further into their self-destructiveness by supporting them, calling in sick for them, etc.

I'm not just talking about alcoholism- there are many kinds of weaknesses, some that might even be converted to strengths, given enough creativity and will...

Do you have an enabler in your life? Your friend's life? Are you one?

Are there non-human enablers? Computers? Cars? Answering machines?

This interesting thought just popped up on my radar, and I'm wondering what you brilliant people out there will see that I don't. You know how it is, you can see the problems in other's lives so clearly, but there's some kind of wierd filter when we look at our own lives that prevents us from diagnosing our own problems and their source...
aforceforgood

Postby tzimisce1313 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:23 pm

there are enablers in co-dependency. and i think all of us know someone like that. which is not a good thing. it just is.
tzimisce1313

Postby Patience » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:22 pm

Enablers often allow addicts to hide their problems longer, or prolong the amount of time before an addict bottoms out.

But addicts seek out enablers. And even without them, they would still be addicts. Mostly an "enabler" is a scapegoat.

And I don't think inanimate objects are enablers. That's somebody really looking for an excuse. "I'm only an alcoholic because it's so easy to make the beer come out of this tap!" I don't think so.
It's not that I hate you. It's just that I'm a much better person than you.
Patience

Postby PJ » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:40 pm

Patience wrote:"I'm only an alcoholic because it's so easy to make the beer come out of this tap!"

If you're smart, you'll copyright that real quick.
PJ

My Granpappy knew Bill W...

Postby Alchemy » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:34 am

And my Grandmother could nag the paint of off of metal surfaces....When I was but a fledgling scrapegoat..a mere kid..I would sit around the dinner table and listen to the fabulous tales of Serenity and the nobility in suffering...yadda yadda(burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp hic)
So Im listening and My grandma leans over to me and says...as she wacks my elbow with a wooden spoon.......

Grandchile grandchile...Strong enabled..
git your elbows off the table....

orrrrrr something like that...

Ahhh manners....and co-defendants.......Dont drink and drive just drive me to drink..
Alchemy

Return to Open Discussion