are artists born or are they grown?

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby LeChatNoir » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:08 pm

I’d like to add that the artwork that impresses me the most is that which has heart in it. That heart could be in the form of a finely crafted marble sculpture or a very simple painting that conveys a long-pondered and heart felt emotion. Either way, if the soul is in there, it generally shows. And if you put heart into everything you do, even the most mundane of jobs can be viewed as a work of art. Heck... If a fellow digs ditches for a living, he can make the walls straight and the bottom flat with the correct slope. By putting heart into it, it can be viewed as a work of art, even if only to him.

I’m working currently on a project that incorporates the artwork of a bunch of children. Now these kids certainly aren’t “skilled” in any trade or craft, but they most certainly are the artists in this job, I’m just the assembly man. So I suppose, just like beauty, art and the artist are relative entirely to the perspective of whomever is looking and the situation from which they look. I was at an opening night of an exhibit earlier this year and was caught examining a rosette carved into a 150+ year old door the old home that housed the gallery. The lady that questioned me was curious as to why I would dwell on such a feature when I was surrounded by lots of beautiful artwork. I tried to convey to her the idea that this carving done by someone long before either of us were born, was possibly just as much (and in some cases more of) a work of art as the ones that surrounded us, but I don’t think she quite understood. Oh well... So it goes.
LeChatNoir

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:33 pm

LaChatNoir wrote:And if you put heart into everything you do, even the most mundane of jobs can be viewed as a work of art.

The lady that questioned me was curious as to why I would dwell on such a feature when I was surrounded by lots of beautiful artwork. I tried to convey to her the idea that this carving done by someone long before either of us were born, was possibly just as much (and in some cases more of) a work of art as the ones that surrounded us, but I don’t think she quite understood. Oh well... So it goes.

Sounds like you put your heart into explaining that. Kudos.

Postby tonka » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:00 pm

the only median which people can truely comunicate is the abstract
baring your soul kinda feels like taking off a PVC catsuit after dancing in it all night at a techno rave party...
tonka

Previous

Return to Open Discussion