Yet Another BBS

All things outside of Burning Man.

Yet Another BBS

Postby III » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:02 pm

for those that don't know - there are two other alternative bbs type pages being developed as an alternative (i.e. not replacement) to this one.

they are both still in their infancy, but nevertheless the both offer options that have been asked for here, and may provide an opportunity to grow a different sort of community.

they are available at alt.playa and 3playa
III

Postby herself » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:21 pm

By the way, trey's application is fast as hell, it puts mine to shame@!@!
herself

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Camp Crypto!

Re: Yet Another BBS

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:28 pm

III wrote:for those that don't know - there are two other alternative bbs type pages being developed as an alternative (i.e. not replacement) to this one.

they are both still in their infancy, but nevertheless the both offer options that have been asked for here, and may provide an opportunity to grow a different sort of community.

they are available at alt.playa and 3playa

nice boards Mr. III
DE FACTO

Postby herself » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:50 pm

Gee maybe I should just post every fucking thing I have to say to this thread so it will always be on top.
herself

Postby PetsUntilEaten » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:06 pm

herself wrote:Gee maybe I should just post every fucking thing I have to say to this thread so it will always be on top.

thats a really good idea!
PetsUntilEaten

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:11 pm

Wow III. your BBS runs much faster than

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/digicastipv7 ... chat4.html

But I think they serve 2 diffrent purposes.
DE FACTO

Postby aforceforgood » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:41 pm

Maybe we should each of us have our own board.

Sarcastironically,

Mr. Force
aforceforgood

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:51 pm

aforceforgood wrote:Maybe we should each of us have our own board.

Sarcastironically,

Mr. Force

You guys can go for it.

I'm off in another direction.

AS USUAL.
DE FACTO

Postby III » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:34 pm

>Sarcastironically

yeah, i know.

but this place has left a void - it's dropped below the "acceptably useable" level. so, in lieu of other adequate substitutes, a couple of us are trying to figure what factors are involved in making something that passes our standards.

harriets only got a couple of weeks of work in on the alt.playa - i only have a couple of days put in on the 3playa. it shouldn't be surprising that tehre isn't one clear answer yet. hopefully, not everything will disolve before there is one.
III

Postby Kinetic II » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:48 pm

While I hate to see the board splinter like it has, I also have to applaud the initiative happening here. Instead of bitching, both H and iii went out and did something about it.

iii's board is a must see for the sheer speed. My god it freakin screams. And H's board is a very interesting place...great content and very interesting code.

Still I hope the e-playa summit doesn't become a bitch fest and brings about some changes so we get this place running right again. I miss the energy level we had here. I hope the problems are fixed so it returns.
Kinetic II

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:53 pm

Kinetic II wrote:While I hate to see the board splinter like it has, I also have to applaud the initiative happening here. Instead of bitching, both H and iii went out and did something about it.

iii's board is a must see for the sheer speed. My god it freakin screams. And H's board is a very interesting place...great content and very interesting code.

Still I hope the e-playa summit doesn't become a bitch fest and brings about some changes so we get this place running right again. I miss the energy level we had here. I hope the problems are fixed so it returns.

It will. Watch.
DE FACTO

Postby Kinetic II » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:58 pm

I hope we get it on track before the January influx....when they announce the theme the board traffic skyrockets.

Again, Trey's board is worth a look. Oh man, the speed, the pure speed is addicting. You hit post, that screen practically snaps to attention and you see the post. It's crisp, it's clean, and I wish we had a fraction of that speed here. But with 2500+ users it's unlikely. I can still daydream about it though.
Kinetic II

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:00 pm

it's supposed to. that was his objective.

less code and graphics does that.
DE FACTO

Postby Kinetic II » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:02 pm

He certainly met the objectives. I have never seen anything online come up like that site. He certainly knows his stuff.
Kinetic II

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:05 pm

Kinetic II wrote:He certainly met the objectives. I have never seen anything online come up like that site. He certainly knows his stuff.

a nice system, good code and throughput will do that.
DE FACTO

Postby III » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:18 pm

>knows his stuff.

sorta. 15 years of doing real time embedded graphics programming (like the toys that de facto uses to draw pictures, but back before desktop computers were fast enough to render them in less than a couple days), and another 5 watching a major corporation do all the wrong things for the back end of a cellular network at least taught me what i don't know.

there are plenty of people out there who could do something better than what i'm cooking up (from any number of perspectives). but, so far, aside from harriet, the people willing to step up to the plate haven't been up to the task.
III

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:26 pm

I promote people that are better than I like these guys:

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A., ing. jr.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)
Université de Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada

List archives: http://www.xiph.org/archives/
Ogg project homepage: http://www.xiph.org/ogg/

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A., ing. jr.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)

Don't know if this interests anyone but hey I like them and they are good people.

speex seems to be an a-o-k program in it's beta form.
DE FACTO

Postby PetsUntilEaten » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:10 am

shameless bump!
PetsUntilEaten

Postby PJ » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:31 pm

Kinetic II wrote:...Trey's board...the pure speed is addicting...I wish we had a fraction of that speed here. But with 2500+ users it's unlikely...

The quantity of registered users isn't the major speed issue. Rarely do the notes at the bottom of the page indicate that more than a half-dozen are on the E-Playa simultaneously.
PJ

Postby III » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:34 pm

>quantity of registered users isn't the major speed issue

it's one of the possibilities. there are a couple of different tables that get joined and cross referenced. increasing the number of users, threads, and posts all contribute to the slowdown. i'm aplanning on developing automatic archiving of dead wood in at least two of those three categories to help maintain the speed, though...
III

Postby PJ » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:23 pm

III wrote:>quantity of registered users isn't the major speed issue

it's one of the possibilities. there are a couple of different tables that get joined and cross referenced. increasing the number of users, threads, and posts all contribute to the slowdown. i'm aplanning on developing automatic archiving of dead wood in at least two of those three categories to help maintain the speed, though...

What I meant was, on this BBS I've never noticed a speed difference whether one user was present or a dozen. It's always slow, even on a fast PC with a big pipeline. Useable, but slow. Ping time has typically been ~75 mSec.

When it first went alive it was unacceptably slow; apparently some adjustments/changes were made in the first day or two and it's been the same ever since.
PJ

Postby III » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:39 pm

it was reasonably quick during the beta period. in the first week after bunring man, there were up to 100 users on during heavy load periods. that's a lot to contend with.

furthermore, the hosting site doesn't have too much control over ping times, since that just measures the network delay. however, 75ms is reasonably quick, and the delays you're experiencing are more likely due to server side processing delays and image downloads.
III

Postby PJ » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:19 pm

III wrote:...furthermore, the hosting site doesn't have too much control over ping times, since that just measures the network delay.

Understood; I was just periodically checking/including that in my message as a sanity check. Even Yahoo.com has long ping times when there's network congestion.

III wrote:...however, 75ms is reasonably quick, and the delays you're experiencing are more likely due to server side processing delays and image downloads.

Exactly. I didn't want to mistakenly be blaming the server/application for lags inherent to the uncertain mercies of the network path.
PJ

Postby nipples » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:34 pm

Nothing personal, but I use a public stall at a coffee house to read prior posts, over other peoples shoulders?! (valley-girl dialect)

Anyways, both of you have not the traffic allowing me free access (I only pay to post.. otherwise I am at the mercy of BIB BROTHER, whom is FUCKING ME UP THE ASS with what I have to look at! Un-couth FUCKS! . It has happend (as a fluke?) a few times for me on Harriets board, but not yet on the Trimiesters. Is it true he allows dissenting & snide opinions? How fresh! Cannot wait until his volume exceeds Harriets & I get a look at it (these FUCKS in the coffee house have not been there yet, though I am always telling them HOW BAD they have it wherever they ARE).
nipples

Postby nipples » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:36 pm

bib brother riding
try as much i hitch them up
always in my crotch
nipples

Postby PJ » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:37 pm

I'm not sure I followed that, but if you pay to post, please pay in exact coinz.
PJ

Postby nipples » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:47 pm

got sum coinz hanging
add them up should be enough
laughing my ass off
nipples

Postby PetsUntilEaten » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:09 pm

hmmm.
PetsUntilEaten

Postby herself » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:00 pm

oh dear, both the altplaya and 3playa are completely technically wrecked, though latter will probably be fixed bfore the former, ugh ugh gugh

update: all is well at 3playa

altplaya still hurtin' : )
herself

Postby III » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:10 pm

>all is well at 3playa

thx. i generally keep 3 phases of code at the 3playa: there's the test code, which is what i develop with, then the released version, which should be tested but occaisionally has some hiccoughs that slipped by me, and finally a backup of the prior release, in case i introduce something broken accidentally. they all work on the same database, so you should be able to comfortably use the backup at any time...
III

Return to Open Discussion