Negativity on the eplaya

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:13 pm

Kinetic II wrote:Photoshop is overrated. I'll stick with Paint Shop Pro.

I dont know I kinda like Photoshop 7.1 and Paintshop pro both.

But wait this is the "Negativity on the eplaya " thread.
DE FACTO

Postby III » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:22 pm

i like gimp.
III

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:34 pm

This is'nt negativity on th ePlaya but it needs to be addressed.

Not everything in the world or Burning Man is perfect and if you set that as your expectation, you will be let down and frustrated with life quite a bit.

too true. after all, it was obvious that the prior eplaya was not perfect either. i think it's just that we were hoping that if things changed that it might be an improvement, or maybe just the same but different, or maybe even just a little bit worse.

i definitely don't feel like one of the in crowd over there. i'm not an old hat. i have no connection any more. there are other people who influence the tone way more than i do, or ever did. that may be why i don't like it, but i don't think so. i think it's because there a lot of self absorbed idiots. it's almost like jerry dunphy, except that there's a lot of them and none of thnem have any more of a life than i do...

Most of us do have a life. I sure do. I enjoyed your input a lot in the begining when i first got here to the ePlaya. but you started to get really mean. not just to me either. but I think it would be a good thing if you expressed some of these feelings here.

I agree with Tiara:
III, I disagree with your evaluation of your role on the eplaya. While you may be absent in this latest incarnation of it, you were a major presence in the eplaya as most of us knew it. Anyone who stuck around long enough could easily see through your sarcasm and occasional fuckwit flames (that should be read as "flaming of fuckwits", rather than ascribing the term as an adjective to your posts) to see that your motivation came from an interest in that board as a community

Weather you want to admit it or not, you are a OH. that is something to be proud of.

It would have been nice if you had let me in on your "sarcasm and occasional fuckwit flames "

even if you had PM me that would have been nice. it would have made me feel welcome and we could have cleared up all of this sillyness a long time ago.

even DUH FUCKTO PM'd me as his "digiman" to let me know he was joking.

I got used to it.

i won't deny that i was, or even tried to be influential. but i also tried to allow it to follow in its own current, and go along for the ride, occaisionally dipping in an oar to nudge where things were going. that's completely different from the all out volume based firefight that's going on there now. i have neither the desire nor the ability to be constructive in that sort of erosive environment.

yes you can and you have. More than you know. hey. your quotes are here are'nt they?

and it's nice to know that there is the freedom at H's to loose the capps.

there is no reason that you cannot do what you do at H's , here.

I welcome it. sorry to use the quotes but I think they are usefull and would like to see you here more often. you do things I can't that's for sure. one being me not speaking French. and I lived in Paris for a year. (and kick myself everyday for comming back here.)

Hope somebody gets something positive out of this. I know i did.
and i know it's the wrong thread for this. I was supposed to post a negative.

well mabey i did try to make a positive out of a negative.

hope you can make this work for you some kind of way?
DE FACTO

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:58 am

III wrote:i like gimp.

This one I can't figure out. So i went to Websters to see if I understood the definition better I would understand the joke better.

here's what I found:

4 entries found for gimp.

1Main Entry: 1gimp
Pronunciation: 'gimp
Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps from Dutch
Date: 1664
: an ornamental flat braid or round cord used as a trimming
2.Main Entry: 2gimp
Etymology: perhaps from gimp (fish line strengthened with wire)
Date: 1901
: SPIRIT, VIM

3.Main Entry: 3gimp
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1929
1 : CRIPPLE
2 : LIMP <walks with a gimp -- Damon Runyon>
- gimpy /'gim-pE/ adjective

.4.Main Entry: 4gimp
Function: intransitive verb
Date: 1948
: LIMP, HOBBLE <gimping up the stairs

So ok mabey some others get it. I still don't but I don't get Adam Sandler either,

http://www.adamsandler.com/
DE FACTO

Postby aforceforgood » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:01 am

Generally a google search will clue you in if you're really in the dark about something someone's talking about.

BM culture is also radically self-reliant, and thus people can get a little pissy and more likely to haul out the flamethrower if you ask dumb questions without trying to at least make a cursory effort at finding the answer yourself.

GIMP's an image program. Which in the context of the previous couple posts, should have been obvious...

As for arguing on the internet being a futile gesture, like shouting into the wind, I disagree with that (though I love that picture and think it's hilarious). Back during the recall, I put a lot of info up that wasn't getting covered at all by the mass propaganda media. Did I sway anyone, change any votes, make a difference?

Dunno, but it was something, me being who I am, I had to do because I felt it should be done. It's something I couldn't have done without the internet, and I don't know that some would've followed it without the "argument" which kept it more lively than a simple laying out of facts like you'd see in a voter information pamphlet.

And for that matter, what the hell happened to the voter information pamphlet that we got during the recall? Did they hire the guy who writes books for kindergarteners to write it or what? I'm surprised it wasn't in comic-strip form for all the information there was in it. Along with the outright lies.
aforceforgood

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:04 am

i did that.

is GIMP a mac thing?

also like i said earlier. if he had been less nasty or PM'd me it could have been resolved and moved along.

hey. life.

but thanks for giving me a clue. hey wrong thread huh?

and i thought the picture was funny too. real funny.
DE FACTO

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:12 am

you know i keep forgeting that this is an artist community. like myself artists have a tendacy to be a little sensitive.

hope all keep that in mind, as will i .
DE FACTO

Postby Kinetic II » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:02 am

Sensitive? Us? The artistic BM community? Impossible. You must be confusing us with someone else.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to finish up that 4 burner flame thrower I've been working on.
Kinetic II

Postby herself » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:28 am

de facto, I can appreciate your post. But I don't particularly feel it's my responsibility to make anyone feel 'welcome' here. You find your way here, check it out, and leave if you don't like it. There is no welcoming committee.
herself

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Camp Crypto!

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:11 am

herself wrote:de facto, I can appreciate your post. But I don't particularly feel it's my responsibility to make anyone feel 'welcome' here. You find your way here, check it out, and leave if you don't like it. There is no welcoming committee.

H. you missunderstood me also. none of this was about or directed to you.

this was to III.

Some day we really ought to get together to clear up this missunderstanding stuff, because this BBS is not getting us there.H. the last person in the world I want to piss off is you and you should know that.
I know my style is brash and seems loud but really, I'm not faulting you for anything. ok?
DE FACTO

Postby herself » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:15 am

Regardless of who your post is intended for, many other people will read it and feel free to comment on it. I think one issue the oldtimers are sensitive about is this sudden nicey nicey stuff that's expected. On the old board, most of the people were somewhat geeky, and it was far and away NOT their first online community. People expected people to be able to take some shit. I understand that this place is now trying to emphasize a certain level of niceness because it doesn't want poor little sensitive burnie babies fleeing. But being nice is not what being online is about, as far as I'm concerned.
herself

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:45 am

herself wrote:. I understand that this place is now trying to emphasize a certain level of niceness because it doesn't want poor little sensitive burnie babies fleeing. But being nice is not what being online is about, as far as I'm concerned.

Hey I undestand. and thanks for understanding. Hey I think people here could take it. There just needs to be something done about a qurkie popup durring the registration that explains "the rules"

Not rules in the sense of rules but rules in the sense of "The NoN rules of ePlaya".
So no assumtions happen.

Did that make any sense?
DE FACTO

Postby herself » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:57 am

Don't worry defacto, I understand that a couple people are working on a special newbie faq, you should see a link to it (or should I say "them") here soon..... and feel free to create your own!
herself

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:06 pm

And H, sorry for that double thread over there. if you want or can you please delete the empty one over there please.

I could'nt figure out how to do it.
DE FACTO

Postby herself » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:11 pm

oh, you're digiman? I can see I'm behind on my reading here. Anyway I deleted the second thread immediately. No committee decision necessary.
herself

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:14 pm

That is just so embarrassing. I've never posted but I thought if I were to post , it better be for a good reason. I thought that was a good enough one.
DE FACTO

Postby herself » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:38 pm

DE FACTO wrote:That is just so embarrassing. I've never posted but I thought if I were to post , it better be for a good reason. I thought that was a good enough one.

de facto, I don't really understand what you've written here. What is embarrassing. The fact that you posted on the altplaya? The fact that you created two threads, identically named, by mistake? Don't make people struggle to understand you, usually they won't bother. I had to fucking read your post like six times to figure out that you meant it was embarrassing that you posted two identical threads, but that you thought it was important to communicate your apology. I don't have time to puzzle over your posts.
herself

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:41 pm

herself wrote:
DE FACTO wrote: I don't have time to puzzle over your posts.

That was your mistake.

It really was'nt there to think about.

please don't answer this one.
DE FACTO

Postby antron » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:54 pm

DE FACTO wrote:please don't answer this one.

ok
antron

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:58 pm

antron wrote:
DE FACTO wrote:please don't answer this one.

ok

thanks.
DE FACTO

Postby Kinetic II » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:59 pm

Stolen from a quote Precip made on the altplaya: ( http://tinyurl.com/rtb5 )
> "Where does it say in the rule book of either life or BM that I have to like everyone?
It doesn't. That's why I like Gigsville. And part of why it's not even remotely for everyone.

I do believe in behaving civilly, even to people you want to garrotte. But that's not the same thing as liking them." <

She's got a point there and I've been trying too hard to like people or to have them like me. Screw that. Outside of here I'm not so likey-likey so why do it here? I'm not. Time to hang a hard left and go back to being Kinetic again.

(Edited to include a link to the source)
Last edited by Kinetic II on Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinetic II

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:06 pm

Right on K.

Things are getting back to norm.

Now all I need is III insulting me again and everything will be ok.
DE FACTO

Postby Tiara » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:44 pm

I'm just going to pop in here real quick with a little bit of unsolicited advice. . . when quoting another person's words from another thread, or another site altogether, it would be appropriate to provide a link to the original post so that readers have the opportunity to view it in the context in which it was posted.

Thanks for listening. Really. I'm not just trying to be a jerk. Rather, I'm trying to nudge things in a more positive direction and avoid future misunderstandings.
Tiara

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:48 pm

Tiara wrote:I'm just going to pop in here real quick with a little bit of unsolicited advice. . . when quoting another person's words from another thread, or another site altogether, it would be appropriate to provide a link to the original post so that readers have the opportunity to view it in the context in which it was posted.

Thanks for listening. Really. I'm not just trying to be a jerk. Rather, I'm trying to nudge things in a more positive direction and avoid future misunderstandings.

your right. but i did'nt know how they would feel over there and i did'nt want to create a flood of rubbernecks. plus i did'nt want to place names fearing getting others involved if negative repercussions had occured.

I will take hold to your advise though sir thank you.
DE FACTO

Postby Kinetic II » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:29 pm

Thanks Tiara. I was in a hurry and I forgot. I'll get that fixed. And your advice is always welcome with me.
Last edited by Kinetic II on Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinetic II

Postby DUH FECTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:35 pm

>even DUH FUCKTO PM'd me as his "digiman" to let me know he was joking.

YOU ARE LYING. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM PREVARICATION IN THE FUTURE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMPLIANCE. THAT IS ALL.
DUH
DUH FECTO

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:39 pm

If you don't like my posts, the scroll bars are to your left. Use 'em.

I thought they were to the right. what browser are you using.

welcome back duh.
DE FACTO

Postby DE FACTO » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:56 am

PLONK PLONK PLONK
DE FACTO YOU ARE AN IDIOT!
even though...........
DE FACTO

Previous

Return to Open Discussion