eplaya and you

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:12 pm

Don Muerto wrote:
technopatra wrote:Don Muerto, if you keep making me laugh until I pee my pants, I'm sending you a bill for laundry detergent and adult diapers.

It's just the avatar, -I can't be held responsible.

Go ahead and send the bill to me anyway at:

El Jefe Grande
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
NW Washington, DC 20500

Make sure you write "Uric Acid Remediation" on the receipts.
Anyway we can lure him back?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:16 pm

Tiara wrote:One thing I'd like to see a lot less of is the "us" vs "them" mentality that seems to have sprung up regarding the "old timers" on this board. The reality is (as has been stated elsewhere) that a majority of the core group that was posting so heavily before the event this year are people that came to the eplaya within the last year. Several of us celebrated our "first anniversary" at Decompression this weekend, since many of us met for the first time at last year's SF Decompression.
Makes me sort of wonder if there isn't a cycle to this. Connect big time and then "gruduate" with some sticking around longer than others.
Tiara's someone else I'd like to see spent a lot of time here again.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby cowboyangel » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:29 pm

hmmmmm might as well go for it....complete eplaya control belongs to me!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby stuart » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:53 pm

sort of wonder if there isn't a cycle to this

ding ding ding ding ding

foam, if you check out the bar thread, amongst others, I think you will find that all of the hullaballoo about this board not being able to foster conversation was a bit off.

I do think we are in better shape here than we were at this time last year due in large part to the absence of a few select trolls.
call me baby
stuart

~

Postby sparkletarte » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:12 pm

As long as the inane babbling is kept to the General D section, who cares? It's General! Of course there's shit to wade through- it's a public message board. It's just like the rest of your life.

I won't be that interested in Burning Man-planning-discussion talk until at least 5 months from now or something like that. I have a rest-of-my-life. That's what General D is for, I thought.
sparkletarte

Postby calsur » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:15 am

So having been on the Eplaya since 22 January of this year and actually made it to the real Playa. I have heard all this bitching about the loss of the Plonk feature. So one question.

What is a plonk?

Try explaining it to someone who never had it.
calsur

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:24 am

I got cha' plonker right here!

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby calsur » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:49 am

DVD Burner,

When I finally meet you in person you are due for an interesting time.
calsur

Postby cowboyangel » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:45 pm

is that a threat yor issuing calsur?????????
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Bump!

Cause I sorta miss techno!

(I still stay in contact with her).

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:06 pm

Techno died,officially 7 years ago.

Get the fuck over it!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Re:

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:42 pm

Bob wrote:Agree w/everyone, I guess, sort of, and don't take any of this personally.

I haven't ever logged on to the eplaya or the newbieplaya with any expectation other than that Burning Man's Black Rock City LLC owns the board and desires a forum, call it "official" if you want, for current participants and new people to interact by sharing information and personal experiences.

That's always been my starting point on this BBS, as well as in other online communication (the Web, email, mailing lists, etc.). My primary aim is to further what I consider to be good and beneficial for the event and the people who participate in it. While I've consciously tried to keep my own ego not-an-issue, I've certainly not avoided having a faceless personality. My goal here is basic sharing of information, but I also want to see Burning Man continue as an event open to all who want to experience and participate, without having any overly narrow cultural, social or political agenda. Hence my first-principle slogan, "It's just a fucking, camping, trip".

That said, the new format and the process by which it came about shocked me plenty. We have developed a certain culture here, even in the practice of rejecting narrow definitions -- at the same time, the process has satisfied Irony, another first-principle concept I attach to my experience of Burning Man. Irony is always a moving target.

So, the new thing was... like having a bunch of shop students try to make a new engine and a prefab aftermarket art-car body fit onto an old Detriot iron chassis, albeit with distinctive Burning Man touches. In the end, if it runs, it's just fucking transportation, even if it looks for the time being like a bar-car full of Baja party doods.

I came to Burning Man in '96 via word-of-mouth, via a college friend who also found out via word-of-mouth and had been going for a few years. Within a year I plunged into volunteering and was hooked into a few official and unofficial email lists, albeit that some were only peripherally involved with the actual event. In the same time frame I made the putting together of not-unuseless web content one of my goals. My first project was a web page for Recycle Camp, then on to a Desert Structures web page to support my work with the theme camp crew in providing answers to basic questions, inspiration, and starting points for people building whatever on the playa. Then on to DPW matters, burn scar prevention issues, etc. With all of this, of course Burning Man was a touchpoint, but I also do desert camping and share information with people outside the context of the event, who may or may not be your stereotypical "participants". So, my online experience has ranged from casual and seasonal encounters, to the extremely inside aspects of this elephant-by-committee. I've also been on Usenet for years, which is another world altogether, but undeniably has some amount of crossover in the context of mostly-online worldwide communities that occasionally meet face-to-face locally.

One thing I've learn from Usenet is that "October" is not just a month, it's a phenomenon. Younger people and student types, like "burners", coming home from a carefree summer to the cares and woes of school and work obligations, start up new computers and online accounts, log on wherever, and naturally want to express themselves, as fecklessly as young people are accustomed. Not a lot of civilized models are out there, so you have to expect some tension between the old and new hats in longtime online forums.

Here on the eplaya, a volunteer team was tasked with grafting a new software like an ill-fitting costume complete with body-mods onto an old community. I see a similar "October"-like tension among that largely faceless, anonymous group of toilers, the regular old-hat codgers, and the newbies who appear every single year between events wanting to feel things out.

On the plus side, for me -- the basic stuff of the interface still generates legible text on the topic pages in a sufficiently bearable and attractive manner, with enough flow to follow people's serial contributions. If I get sick of the colors or other layout aspects, I know I can always switch to my own style sheet or default settings to change things (running MSIE 6).

However -- I can see how it could have appeared that "smileys" might make a certain class of newbies feel more comfortable, but they're utter crap -- the equivalent of having a tee-shirt and glo-stick booth on the Gate road to the event. No artistic involvement either in their creation or use. Having this default feature in our faces at the posting front-end is like putting a first-year acid casualty in charge of a Greeter shift.

Usenet-style "true" threading would be a big plus, if the software people could find something to adapt for the purpose. This would help further clarity and prevent some of the misunderstandings I've seen develop.

I think what upsets me and some of the regulars comes down to lack of trust. We aren't going to rake anyone, not the newbies or the tech people, over real or virtual coals. Well, maybe the completely clueless, and only if their actions seem to have the potential to completely drag things down, to the point of harm to others or the board in general. We (and any interested participants) could have more explicitly been offered the opportunity to try a new interface and hammer on it for a while, but that's water under the dam at this point. We're all inventing this as we go along.

As I recently wrote here on the new board, I authored the only thing resembling a TOS (Terms of Service) statement for the old board:

"We reserve the right to maintain this board for the benefit of all. Please behave."

Feel free to use and amend it.

Bob's usage...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Re: eplaya and you

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:27 pm

Yep the couch has it right. No surprise.
Off season we are good kids, but as it gets closer to summer we have the flock of seagulls, the lumbering drooling trolls, and the clueless ding-a-lings. I love seeing on book face someone having a hissy fit because ePlaya is populated by elitist snobs and snarky jerks.
I wouldn't want it any other way.
I feel safe and cozy here.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby AntiM » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:31 am

Ghosts in the machine.

Also, what led up to getting the mod team in place. Except we weren't a team, more like ships flashing signals in the dark, listening for echoes.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:48 am

robbidobbs wrote:Y I love seeing on book face someone having a hissy fit because ePlaya is populated by elitist snobs and snarky jerks.

truth be told i have seen an uptick as of late, a coordinated effort it seems from a couple of BM 'bloggers" to discredit eplaya in a number of different venues.

i guess somebody's traffic has gone way down since, you know....that thing happened.. 8)
Attachments
Widlar_-_NatSemi_Ad_400px.jpg
Widlar_-_NatSemi_Ad_400px.jpg (43.27 KiB) Viewed 117 times
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:39 pm

It's gonna be a fun year with the carnage, spotlights and rumor mill silliness of sherpagate debris. It's just as well we have a safe place to hang out here.

Although the NEB could use a good laundering.
No disparaging meant. It's just been a long strange winter.
Last edited by robbidobbs on Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robbidobbs

Postby torrey.smith » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:46 pm

I've been trying to put a basic stream of content into the Works In Progress thread. It's neat to see everyone's stuff :)
Sarge
torrey.smith

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant Camp

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:56 pm

I liken this place as one big extension of The Bar, where you can overhear people's projects, engage people in conversation about life, sob into the NEB if needed, keep up on friends goings on.
Life.
I do miss some people that have wandered off, like CBA.
robbidobbs

Previous

Return to Open Discussion