All things outside of Burning Man.

$5 in playa costume, $10 in street clothes

Postby girlie » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:46 am

from the L.A. Decompression invite
>>>$5 in playa costume, $10 in street clothes

I was going to wear a costume, now i probably won't -- 'cuz i'm stubborn,
and this sort of thing really really bothers me. Burning Man event
organizers often seem to think it is appropriate to discriminate against
people based on what they are wearing. That just seems so backwards.

There are better ways to encourage fanciful dress and active
participation. Anyone else bothered by this as much as me?
girlie

Postby Blenderhead » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:02 am

The application of economic sanctions against anyone reluctant or refusing to participate in an endeavour within the controlling party's designated "acceptable" parameters is... fucking LAME, but it IS their party.

We have to pay 20 if we don't "fit in" up here; and seeing that SF is freakshow capital of the world, it's going to be a little difficult to stand out in the crowd (so to speak) enough to qualify.

Fuck me, I almost used the word "paradigm." Must be too much coffee.
Blenderhead

Postby III » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:08 am

the funny thing is, i can still hear larry giving that speech about discriminating against people because they didn't wear costumes...
III

Postby PJ » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:27 am

My playa clothing IS my street clothing back home.

An advantage of being self-employed is that I never have to wear uncomfortable clothes. At B.Man I'm as dusty as anybody else but I'm just not that much into the costume thing. Being comfortable on my bike while avoiding sunburn does it for me.

But somehow I think that, should I show up in my basic canvas shorts and a long-sleeved cotton shirt, I'm gonna get the evil eye if I ask for the discounted ticket.
PJ

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:34 am

I had the same feeling about the Oct 4th party, only it was stronger for me becuase it was even more of a category” “BM casual.” Yeah, I was being a smart ass when I asked exactly what that meant, but it steemed from a real question. One person’s “playa casual” is another person’s formal wear and vice versa.
I think it was Matt who came up with the best solution one night at Nova: if you ahve playa dust on your shoes (or anything else, but shoes are pretty predominant) you are wearing “playa wear.”

That said, I do kind of like sometimes having a discounted price for “costumes,” depending on the party and/or venue. But it’s not necessarily a BM thing: if you have a toga party (for lack of a better example) and it $5 for people in togas and $10 for people not in togas, it does encourage more participation and helps cut down on the spectator factor. It’s not appropriate for all situations but I think it does have its uses.
Ivy

Postby herself » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:52 am

Whenever I go to one of these things, I wear what I want. It's usually something I made and something I would not wear to work (or on the street) but when I enter I just hand them the full amount and say I prefer not to be judged by ticket takers. Who are they to judge whether my outfit is good enough? I can see wanting to encourage creativity but not by passing judgement. Ps. when I was younger I would not have been able to afford such glibness about entry price but old age has its benefits not the least of which are financial : )
herself

Postby jbelson » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:07 am

At the mutaytor party, I just told them that I had a glow stick shoved up my ass. I got the $5 discount
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Postby megmystery » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:14 am

I'd never thought about this as discriminatory becasue I love to dress up. but now that you all mention it, it is unfair and I bet a whole lot of people would dress up anyways I mean look at all the costumes out on the playa and there isn't a ticket discount there.
megmystery

Postby blyslv » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:17 am

herself wrote: old age has its benefits not the least of which are financial : )

Can I borrow 5 dollars?
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby RebA! » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:41 am

I just think of it is I get to drink 5$ more booze if i put something cooky on.

For me its a financial thing. Every 5$ is important to me
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:55 am

when I enter I just hand them the full amount

We are all dressed in "playa wear" (and I mean serious costumage, some of you have seen the fox costume and know of what i speak) when we went to Flambe Lounge. It was something like $10 in costume, $15 without. we all handed the doorpeople $15 claiming those WERE our street clothes. Pretty funny.
Ivy

Re: $5 in playa costume, $10 in street clothes

Postby Taniwha » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:05 pm

girlie wrote:I was going to wear a costume, now i probably won't -- 'cuz i'm stubborn,
and this sort of thing really really bothers me.

yeah me too ... it rankles .... but just put on a dust mask :-) not what they want .... but inarguably playa clothes
Taniwha

Postby stuart » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:16 pm

so, the L.A. thing. What can I expect? It's a day party. As a result I was discouraged from bringing my art. I am not really getting a strong sense of this event. Also, I can't find anyone chearleading for it. I washed all of my playa clothes. I can't wear anything blinky. I am so confused! Is this another 'if yer cool you don't care' kind of deal? Where the hell can I jump in with both feet around here?
stuart

Postby Alpha » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:41 pm

I'm curious, too, Stuart. Want to go to the decomp but I have no idea what to expect. It's on the street -- can I bring my kid in a stroller? Would I be the only dork in playa wear? [A: yes, everyone else in playa wear is cool]

questions abound...
Alpha

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:44 pm

Stuart!

I’ve been trying to bite my tongue for several weeks now about the whole LA Decomp thing. I know some of the issues I have are personal and I don’t want to spew those on everyone.
However, i came “this” close today to sending an email to Wolfie and Twan when I saw an announcement on the OC burners list with a link to Wolfie’s interim website. I fought to let it go, thinking maybe it was just me, but now I’m glad to see you post this because I know I’m not the only one...

I will try to write this as logical and coherently as I can and not let emotion cloud me but I make no promises.

I want to know what the fuck is going on with LA?
Why is it that I get announcements about “official” LA BM events on the SD and OC lists long before there’s a peep on the LA list?
Why is it, then, the instant I heard about the decomp, I sent email to the BM LA regional asking that my name be considered or passed on to the appropriate person(s)) to volunteer, participate and perform and was ignored? (Not to mention the other LA regional announcements recently I’ve tried to get on the list that have apparently been “overlooked”, but that’s a different issue).
Why is it, that, since the LA regional ignored me, I sent and email to the rumored person in charge, who responded that, yes, he was helping coordinate and would I like to help, to which I replied an enthusiastic “yes” and was...you guessed it...promptly ignored.
Finally, after hunting down yet another email address, I got in touch with someone who said I would be added to the “schedule” and they would pass on my info to the volunteer coordinator. And that they would get back to me with more info. I have yet to hear from them again. Maybe some people come up with theme camps three days before BM and pull them off; me, i need the next week to prepare if I’m going to put together a performance.

The website is bullshit. Why in the world would you announce an event and include a link to a website that’s a 404? It’s not that hard to throw up a list of the stuff going on; it’s already written out in the announcement. And how effective is it for Wolfie to put up an “interim” page? Yes, we get info, but that circumvents the (currently non-existant but promised) LA regional website. Hell, why not let him put up the info (he’s prompt to promote, if nothing else) and just direct people there? Why expose your disorganization?

Look, I understand that is a big ordeal, orgainizing this event and putting it all together. And in such a limited amount of time. But why make people beg to help you? You can’t even find someone to beg to if you so desired.
I’m so tired of this LA scene where you have to “know” people and if it’s not the biggest and flashiest thing on the block then it doesn’t matter.

I’m tired of “shows.” I want to particapte and goddamnit, I’ll be participating at that fucking street faire whether the cool people want me to or not.

Stuart, if you want to jump in with both feet, jump in with me. Fuck the “if you’re cool you don’t care” LA attitude. Let’s turn this city on its head.
Ivy

Postby stuart » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:27 pm

Fuck Yea Ivy!

I have this horrible impression that the L.A. regional thing is cooked by 'industry' people. By this I mean, studio execs assistants assistants, bullshit promoters or worse still AMWs. This could just be some hairbrained theory I have. I really have no basis other than a few chance encounters.

I had a theme camp in Shangri-la, an SD based mega-village, this year. Those folks rocked. So nice, so competent, so fun, so little attitude. But a bit of a commute for me if I want to be a part of the 'community'.

I gotta tell ya, w/o breaking my arm patting myself on the back, the thing I wanted to bring is pretty goddamned flashy. I was told that since there would only be about 3 hours of dark that my bit would not work out. First, in a city block under a freeway my thing would work just fine. Secondly though, I got the list of stuff and I find that there are people doing light sensitive shit on the list anyway. In the meantime, I've got SD people begging me and my campmates to bring our installation down to SD decom as well as various other events.

I have an absolute justice league full of super friends locally but most don't do BM. I don't need this as a social thing. I just want to meet other burners locally in order to share/w(h)ine/collaborate more easily. For me it's about growing and evolving my event experience. The last thing I want is some cliqueish bullshit. What am I, 12?

all that being said, I really have not tried as hard as you apparently have. I respect your effort, but your results, and the vibe, are not encouraging.
stuart

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:55 pm

I have this horrible impression that the L.A. regional thing is cooked by 'industry' people.

I very often feel this way. Sometimes I think is it becuase I'm "not really" in LA that this stand out more to me, I dunno.

How big is your big flashy thing? Have you been down to the BB? I know there is an open meeting tonight where they will apparently be discussing, amongst other things, the street faire. I can't make it, as I have an importnant rehearsal tonight and I only got the email about an hour ago (note to organizers: if you want people to show up and give input, give them more than a few hours advance notice). You might head over there.

Anyway, i don't know the specs but I'm at the point now where I'm saying bring it anyway and set it up (as long as it's not a safety hazard or what have you, you know what I mean). Just do it. It's a good test: It'll either be okay and show that LA isn't all crazy attitude like we thought, or the worst that can happen is you'll cause a big fuss and they'll turn you away. And if they do, you call me over and there will be the biggest fucking fuss the LA burners have ever seen. (Have I mentioned that I like to cause riots? I should list that under my hobbies.)

I am often very envious of the SD community and the stuff they have going.
Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:58 pm

It's on the street -- can I bring my kid in a stroller?

I was wondering about this today, too: none of the announcement's I've seen have indicated all age appropriate or any age limit. It doesn't really concern me, but I was curious about it. As I am about many other things regarding this event...
Ivy

Postby stuart » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:59 pm

don't know what the BB is.

As far as my big flashy thing goes, well, In it's best incarnation it is a rear projected 12'x9' vidwall with a P.A. attached. It is not something I could do without proper infrastructure. On the playa we provide this ourselves, but it just aint practical to haul the shit blind downtown and hope for the best. Not to worry, there are other events coming up for Nate and me to have fun with the rig.

In the meantime, I have checked out some links of some of the folks involved in the LA decomp and am putting the pieces of the puzzle together.

Good luck with your show this weeekend.
stuart

Postby Alpha » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:58 pm

You guys rock. It's a shame Venice and Long Beach are so far from me (NE valley) because I'm ready to get involved. I know a couple other burners who don't give a crap about the LA Scene and would be thrilled to take charge of our own destiny.

I'd be willing to take on the maintenance of an LA Regional web site if the powers that be would accept the help. (no worries, I come with good credentials)

If decomp is lame maybe we just need to plan our own event?? Maybe I need to go register laburningman.org ?
Alpha

Postby III » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:08 pm

>we just need to plan our own event

some of us (those with unfortunate labels attached) have been doing this for years. my suggestion: start small and grow. in fact, i'm willing to have an "i live in la and hate the la burning man scene" bbq when i finally get a place of my own up here, and if my wonderful girlfriend is okay with that idea.
III

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:43 pm

Stuart: The BB is the Blue bonga forenrlyknown as Little Pedro's (I swear that that whole phrase is it's name). It's a pretty cool (IMO) little restaurant bar, burner owned and operated, and it's the forefront of the area where the street faire will be. that's why I suggested ging to the meeting: not only to talk with the peeps but then you could also see the lay of the land and see if your big flashy thing was feasible. I wish could could set up your stuff, it seems such a shame to not.

Alpha: Yeah, I've been pondering characteristics of LA on and off and besides the whole "hipster" thing, the layout of "LA" is pretty unique in its expanse and probably contributes to a lot of the chaos. One of the things I really like is Inge's Nova get-togethers. Nova is a fairly centrally located place for just about anyone in the area (by the farmer's market at 3rd & fairfax), the food is good and not too pricey, it's very low key and informal and it's just a nag out and chat kind of thing.

trey: You anme the time and place and I'm so there. I will bribe your girlfriend. Hm. I'll have to start working on an outfit for the "I live in LA and hate the LA BM scene" theme...
Ivy

Up here it's 10 in BR attire, 20 in street wear

Postby cabiria » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:57 pm

I'm planning on wearing the same thing I wore for two weeks straight on La Playa. Jeans and a halter top.

And my "Fuck me I built the Man" laminate.

Not sure what they'll charge me.....
cabiria

Postby PetsUntilEaten » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:18 pm

aw, come on! player-hatin' at its best!

True - Los Angeles' structure unlike SF and NYC - doesn't allow for people to walk down the street & find treasures or necessarily have much of a neighborhood feel. Granted: other cities seem to offer themselves up to you as you walk the street. In Los Angeles, the architechure, sprawling streets, and lack of walkabilty lead to needing to know about the thing in order to find it. So we have to work for it.
PetsUntilEaten

Postby Alpha » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:49 am

I think you guys are missing my point. If restaurants and barbecues were sufficient then you wouldn't be bitching about the sorry state of the LA decompression. If all you want is a big backyard I'd be happy to offer mine.

I should probably see a proper decomp before I say anything more about this topic. I guess I should have planned that trip to SF....
Alpha

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:23 am

Somebody pls explain how "LA" "Decompression" is not self-cancelling.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby madmatt » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:12 am

Ivy -
Why on earth would you wait around to get 'the establishment's' permission to do your thing? Ok, if you would be setting up a flame cannon, ok, that's just got practical constraints, or if you were planning on doing 20 people nekkid belly dancing, ok, it's the city streets here.

But what the fuck are they going to do, stop you from belly dancing? Just do it.

PS - Don't let the frustrations with the BM bureaucracy turn you off to the LA BM community, they're totally different entities, and expecting them to work together smoothly I think is unrealistic. Especially because of the very anti-conformist nature of the people attracted to BM - no one wants to be told what to do, and even more so with the burners who have been at it the longest, they REALLY are not enchanted with the institutionalization of BM and burner goings ons.

Please don't get disenchanted - the enchantment is one of the only things common to (dare I say??) most burners.

Matt.

:roll:
madmatt

Postby stuart » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:59 am

ugly, morning, caugh syrup enabled ramble will follow. My apologies.

stuff and or things

pets, as an NYC expat I always find the conversation about why is L.A. so wierd socially to be fascinatun. No centralized residential population, i.e., no downtown. A fucked up self important, self canibalizing industry entirely too proud of it's anti-intellectualism often found behind the wheel of the social bus. Wonderful weather. No usable mass transit. I'm sorry, but I fuckin find driving drunk in L.A. to often be a necessity (flame on boys and girls). An ugly clash of hero/everyman worship. But I am not sure it is going to help me, Ivy, or Alpha figure out our LABORG angst.

I have only SD and of course SF to compare to LABORG but, dare I say it, I think LABORG has the not so hidden agenda of simple self promotion for those at the top and their minions. They at least desire it as a by-product. Should we find this surprising coming from L.A.? Surely not. But there I go again, voicing my gut reaction based on minimal experience. Mea Culpa.

Re: backyard BBQs. While these may not serve the purpose of giving us a proper faux playa decom experience, they certainly can serve the purpose of exposing those of us who are a little wary of LABORG to like minded folks in the hope that we generate a few meaningful, lasting connections with geographically (as much as anyone can be in L.A.) desirable like minded burners. The result of this, if desired, might be the genesis of an, dare I say it, organisation that has enough of whatever to do something a little bigger. The whole, you know, bigger and shit than the parts thingie. Trey, from what I gather you have done a great job of doing just that. The only catch in that for me is that you no longer do the event and so you can not help me fulfill my on playa megolomaniacal plans. Still, I want to have those drinks. I still love the event and one of the maxims my brother and I developed after our radically contrasting experiences this year was 'only camp with true believers'. It's a fairly obvious guide to having a successful time on the playa, but somehow, to many, it appears radically counter intuitive. I am, however, following your advice inadvertantly. I started small, had great success, got a little bigger, had great success. I am now at level C.

Matt, while Ivy may be able to just show up and dance, I get the feeling that she has done this, had success, and now wants a little more structure for her perfomances. Forgive me, Ivy, if I am overreaching. I know that for what I do, I have passed the point of being able to do it commando style.

and Bob, you just keep lookin' out the window.
stuart

Postby Ivy » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:47 am

I will show up and dance.

The city and the organizers, as well as innocent ystanders, may take issue with this:

It's no flame cannon, but it ain't no cotton ball, either.

Pets: I love you, you know that. But you do work in the industry and are probably a little biased. Not that I'm not biased in the opposite direction.

Alpha, I hear what you're saying about the BBQs vs the "EVENTS." But things have to start somewhere. You can't start with a huge street faire. Think Baker Beach vs Black Rock City.

Matt: I'll tell you why I "wait around for the establishment's permission." Becuase it's LA. Because I was born and raised here, and yes, it's hypocritical, but I'm an Angelina and therefore think like one: I want to be someone. I would like someone to say, "oh, yeah, Ivy's gonna dance, that'll be cool." It is that sort of side-effect self-promotion Stuart mentioned. I try to fight it, but I'm not immune. On a similar note, it's one of the reason I'm so sucked into the e-playa: because here, I fell like I'm someone and I make a difference. Yeah, I'll admit, the "mystery" of the unnanmed guerilla belly dancers is kinda cool, but I've done that--this year at BM, in fact, and while it was fun and I loved it, it needs something. Perhaps "offical" performing is not it, but I don't know until I try it. Honestly, i doubt I'll ever do it again, but I'd like to say, for myself, that I did it. I got past all the bullshit and the people who stood in my way and I got a slot in their schedule whether they like it or not. Ha.

Bob: As always you rock.
Ivy

Postby madmatt » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:13 pm

Ivy -
OOooooooohhhh, goddamn, look at them guns!!

Guess we all better wear our chain mail and kevlar.
madmatt

Next

Return to Open Discussion