I'm outta here

All things outside of Burning Man.

I'm outta here

Postby clandyone » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:21 am

I'm kinda fed up with having to run the gauntlet all the time, and sick of having to prove that I'm credible. It's been a fun year. I wish all you well. Might be back eventually, but this environment is just too exclusive for my little noggin at present.

I'm not storming off in a huff, at all. Just feel that the time has come to take inventory, as it were.

Mwah. Take care. I'll most likely be back at some point.
Won't somebody please think of the children?!
clandyone

Postby III » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:59 am

well, poop.
III

Re: I'm outta here

Postby blyslv » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:34 am

clandyone wrote:I'm kinda fed up with having to run the gauntlet all the time, and sick of having to prove that I'm credible.

this environment is just too exclusive for my little noggin at present.

????? (altho I don't suppose you'll see this.)

Fare thee well. I'll miss you.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:05 am

you should stick it out just a little longer.

i'm gonna do it. because i'm not letting anybody try and kill my fun.

you should stay.

i may not be the best writer but whatever and who ever your having problems with (i'm sure it may be the same people i'm having problems with) i'll help and fend them off with you. i have help from my friends on ePlaya.
stay. dont let the dumb dumbs dictate your being here. i'm not.
THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN

Postby jbelson » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:15 am

You should never let someone chase you out of somewhere you like.

Sure, there are tools here (myself included), but it's just a message board.

You have the luxory of ignoring whomever you want. Dont give anyone more importance than they deserve.
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Postby Alpha » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:24 am

It saddens me to learn that the online BM community is now fragmented into at least three different boards. :-(
Alpha

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:16 pm

Alpha:
I would venture to say that the online BM community has long been
“fragmented” into hundreds, if not thousands, of boards.

I mean, think of the regional boards alone. Not to mention theme camps and village.
(Solo Collective has been known to have 20-30 boards, and I know
Gigsville has a shitload.)

I understand your point, though.
Ivy

Postby THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:27 pm

Alpha wrote:It saddens me to learn that the online BM community is now fragmented into at least three different boards. :-(

Ivy wrote:Alpha:
I would venture to say that the online BM community has long been
“fragmented” into hundreds, if not thousands, of boards.

I mean, think of the regional boards alone. Not to mention theme camps and village.
(Solo Collective has been known to have 20-30 boards, and I know
Gigsville has a shitload.)

I understand your point, though.

it's called growing pains.
i know you dont want to hear from me but it is the same as when i first went to burningman in 94 there were about 1000-5000 people and i thought that was way too many then. needless to say the attendence now. the same is true with ePlaya. it's just going to take some getting used to.
THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN

Postby Kinetic II » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:36 pm

Compared to what this used to be, I don't see that many people stepping up to try and right the ship. I see the old e-playans on Harriet's site bitching about stuff here, and there are other sites doing the same, yet is anyone doing anything besides bitching? Is anyone e-mailing the admins about it? Is anyone proposing solutions?

I got ripped about becoming a moderator because of a short fuze, TMI problems, and excessive stress causing me to have questionable judgement of late. But at least I offered to try and do SOMETHING besides bitch or mope off to some corner of the internet and bitch some more. If anyone did suggest something it's been a while...the feature request and bugs & problems section is a little scarce with new input since the latest mess began.

I love the new online home I got into but e-playa is like the mothership. It needs help, it's sinking. Is there anyone out there who cares enough to help bail water or do we have a crew that's inclined to sit and bitch about how long it took it to sink? Post the feedback, make the suggestions public if you don't mind and let's fix this place.
Kinetic II

Postby DogBoy » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:46 pm

Post the feedback, make the suggestions public if you don't mind and let's fix this place.

Amen!
Say, what if the complaint is that Technopatra seems to be the only one responding? I'm sure there are other admins working, but I haven't seen any responses besides hers. Admin/Moderators, identify yourselves!

BTW, I think K/Ailchinn would make a fine moderator.
DogBoy

Location: Twins City, OR "The hardest place to find in Oregon"

Postby THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:53 pm

all of the less interested and other opinionateds have suggested at most a plonk button so they cant hear other points of views anymore.

same types that think taking a pill will solve the problem. clueless to understanding that looking in and changing thier diet will help them feel better.

change is tuff for some.
THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:54 pm

I can't speak for everyone, but I know that a lot of people made suggestions, then made them again, then pointed ou the same things, and then made those suggestions again.
I believe some people are trying not to annoy or aggrivate by posting suggestions endlessly.
I think we all understand that this is a time of change and that the admins are still working on a lot of things and only time will tell.
But I think there has been more than ample input by way of ideas and suggestions to help. It just started to sound like a broken record after a while and that doesn't benefit anyone.
Ivy

Postby RebA! » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:55 pm

What Ivy said!

change is tuff for some.

I deal with change daily.. not tough for me.
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Postby THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:57 pm

you know there were a few people that turned me on to some new positions that at first i thought were silly. i just was'nt gonna do that.....then they tricked me and i have'nt been able to do it just that 1 way ever again.

woo hoo :P
Last edited by THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN on Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN

Postby PJ » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:58 pm

Ailchinn wrote:..I don't see that many people stepping up to try and right the ship...

The problems are structural. The people that don't like the new structure aren't empowered to fix it.

Say you're driving your pickup truck down the road, and suddenly it turns into a minivan. Many people like minivans, but you don't. So you sell it and get another pickup truck. Problem solved.
PJ

Postby Lydia Love » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:03 pm

all of the less interested and other opinionateds have suggested at most a plonk button so they cant hear other points of views anymore.

I am interested in other points of view.

Oh, I'm sorry - did I miss it when you posted one?
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:08 pm

RebA! wrote:What Ivy said!

change is tuff for some.

I deal with change daily.. not tough for me.

no THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN said that. but i get what you mean
THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN

Postby aforceforgood » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:30 pm

clandyone wrote:As with everything on Ye Olde Internet, take it with a fistful of salt...

Damn. I'll miss your insight and humor, Clandy. Only a woman as beautiful and strong as you could accidentally arouse me by using the words "fistful of salt"...

I've made suggestions as gently as I could several times -which ain't easy for me, it's an ADD thing. I know the people working on this board are volunteers, and that figuring out how to make computers do what you want em to ain't easy either. So like Ivy said, I've made gentle periodic nudges, every couple weeks, and they have archived the old eplaya, and I'm sure they'll fix all this stuff eventually. Hopefully that will be before this tan volvo place needs life support...

I've seen my own attendance here drop off as the old regulars have apparently gone to other boards that work better for them, and the ratio of humorous/insightful/thoughtful posts decline in relation to the usual internet bbs frippery.

And just BTW, that's fine, that's their prerogative, and I suspected as much, but I think it was kind of insensitive to let it slip that it is by invite only, thereby basically saying to the rest of us still here on this board that we're social misfits, or undesireable, or whatever. So much for radical inclusion or being pollinated with new viewpoints.
aforceforgood

Postby PJ » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:45 pm

aforceforgood wrote:...I think it was kind of insensitive to let it slip that it is by invite only, thereby basically saying to the rest of us still here on this board that we're social misfits, or undesireable, or whatever. So much for radical inclusion or being pollinated with new viewpoints.

That's NOT the case at all. The builder of that from-scratch BBS continues to stress that the whole concept of "invitations" is anathema to her beliefs. Everybody's welcome. But until she's done adding a few more basic functions it's hoped that it's not overwhelmed with new users. Some things will be quite awkward for a newcomer initially. For example the length of the threads will be a pain (especially on dial-up connections) because a paging function doesn't exist yet. Also there are some bugs, for example the sign-up function hasn't worked perfectly for some new people but others had no problem. Thus the server must be taken down periodically while she tests a new version. Generally it's not down for more than a few minutes at a time, but that can't be guaranteed during the on-going development process.
PJ

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:46 pm

Apparently there are several "alternative" eplaya places now; I can't speak for all but I know Harriet's is not invite only. The link is in her sig. You are welcome to come converse.
Ivy

Postby THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:48 pm

how come no one uses dual servers?

aw nevermind you probally will just say it's dumb because it's comming from me but i know. it's what i do. you never have downtime
THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN

Postby Kinetic II » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:02 pm

The board that was by invite was the SW MO Regional board and for most people it's not a place you want to check out. Your not missing anything.

As for Harriet's board, it doesn't appear to be invite only, but I'm making no further comment on that. It's her board, ask her about it. (keep your replies short though)

There is one thing about Harriet's board I will say. Yes, I'm over there too and I haven't made one post, nor do I plan to. (I refuse to bring the havoc and ill will I generated here over there.) Many of the old e-playans are there, and the post quality is very good, the interface is clean, and I know why many people made the switch.

Still, don't give up on the real e-playa. It's going to take time but it will come around. And while Harriet has a nice board, there are still 2300+ users here, that equals a lot more potential views and info if we can get more people to post and participate.
Kinetic II

Postby aforceforgood » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:22 pm

PJ wrote:
aforceforgood wrote:...I think it was kind of insensitive to let it slip that it is by invite only, thereby basically saying to the rest of us still here on this board that we're social misfits, or undesireable, or whatever. So much for radical inclusion or being pollinated with new viewpoints.

That's NOT the case at all. The builder of that from-scratch BBS continues to stress that the whole concept of "invitations" is anathema to her beliefs. Everybody's welcome. But until she's done adding a few more basic functions it's hoped that it's not overwhelmed with new users. Some things will be quite awkward for a newcomer initially. For example the length of the threads will be a pain (especially on dial-up connections) because a paging function doesn't exist yet. Also there are some bugs, for example the sign-up function hasn't worked perfectly for some new people but others had no problem. Thus the server must be taken down periodically while she tests a new version. Generally it's not down for more than a few minutes at a time, but that can't be guaranteed during the on-going development process.

Ailchinn wrote:The board that was by invite was the SW MO Regional board and for most people it's not a place you want to check out. Your not missing anything.

Cool, I suspected it was something like that, thanks for the clarification.

I've decided to check out harriet's board, I've felt that it was divisive to open another one, but like PJ said, if it works better, people will tend to use it. I don't think this eplaya's THAT broken, but it's worth checking out, I guess.
aforceforgood

Postby THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:31 pm

i really hate to say this but i like the PHP bbs and checking out what the developers have in store and checking out what the future is with PHP from sourceforge it wont be long before this bbs is more than what everybody wants. i'll stay....

bummer for lots of others huh. but not for the newbies and neoinovatives
THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN

Postby Lydia Love » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:35 pm

I've decided to check out harriet's board, I've felt that it was divisive to open another one, but like PJ said, if it works better, people will tend to use it. I don't think this eplaya's THAT broken, but it's worth checking out, I guess.

I think instead of it being an issue of divisiveness it was, for some of us, create something new or risk losing some of the relationships we've built online entirely. This eplaya isn't THAT broken for everyone... but for some people it is close to unusable for what they need in an online community.

I'll probably reside on both boards for the time being.
Lydia Love

Postby THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:39 pm

Lydia Love wrote:

I'll probably reside on both boards for the time being.

it really would be nice to see you stay and not leave over someone as small as i.

i know you dont belive me but i like to read what you write and do take what you say seriously and i'll grow on you after awhile. ....well after i mellow a little bit.

i'm like a fungus that way.
THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN

Postby PJ » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:40 pm

Lydia Love wrote:...This eplaya isn't THAT broken for everyone...

Exactly. And even more people use Yahoo Chat and irc and icq and etc. than the official E-Playa could ever hope to attract. Which is fine. Different venues for different folks.

Some will never use the Internet for anything. And no matter how big Burning Man gets, Disneyworld will attract more in one day than B.Man will in several years.
PJ

Postby THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:50 pm

PJ wrote:And even more people use Yahoo Chat and irc and icq and etc. than the official E-Playa could ever hope to attract.

eeeeuuwwww!

i've tried that. i'd rather get flammed at ePlaya.....that's why i'm sticking it out.
THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN

Postby Lydia Love » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:25 pm

it really would be nice to see you stay and not leave over someone as small as i.

No no - mind you, you've been driving me nuts some with all the loony threads and shit - but that's not what would make me go away.

I have gotten used to some of the stuff that just plain pissed me off when I got back from the playa. Some of the board's features have grown on me quite a bit. But after a month I still want a place to go that's more text, less blinky shit.

But hey - I've got that now so ... I'll play here some and there some. It's all good.
Lydia Love

Postby THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:31 pm

Lydia Love wrote:
But hey - I've got that now so ... I'll play here some and there some. It's all good.

good ....really
THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN

Return to Open Discussion