If there was ever a serious national threat...

All things outside of Burning Man.

If there was ever a serious national threat...

Postby dragonflyannie » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:44 am

If there was ever a serious national threat (i.e. ~ nuclear), does anybody think the Black Rock Desert would be a good place to go? We already know how to survive out there for a week. Do any of you think we could pull it off for longer if necessary? I know this isn't the brightest and happiest subject on the eplaya, but I've often wondered about this.

Thoughts?
dragonflyannie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:49 am

Right. Taking refuge in a national emergency on federal land ideally suited as a both a landing strip and target range is my idea of a good time.

I'll be up in the Granites looking down at all the fun, thank you very much.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Taniwha » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:52 am

well maybe if it happens during the summer .... remember the playa becomes a lake (with whitecaps etc) during the winter ...

Probably a spot with year-round water might be a better choice .... (remember how much crap you bring with you and how much garbage you carry out).

Being near the Top Gun training base, or nuclear testing ranges might not be a good idea (though BRC is not down wind) ... making a fast break for Canada is probably a better idea
Taniwha

well then...

Postby dragonflyannie » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:54 am

if that's the case, i suppose it wouldn't be the smartest place to go. i thought it was a conservation area now. didn't think it would be much of a target with little towns like gerlach and empire the only things out there. and might i ask (with the risk of sound naive, but on a need to know basis) who exactly would be landing there? don't we already have military bases in nevada?
dragonflyannie

Re: If there was ever a serious national threat...

Postby Blenderhead » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:58 am

dragonflyannie wrote:If there was ever a serious national threat (i.e. ~ nuclear), does anybody think the Black Rock Desert would be a good place to go? We already know how to survive out there for a week. Do any of you think we could pull it off for longer if necessary? I know this isn't the brightest and happiest subject on the eplaya, but I've often wondered about this.

Thoughts?

I'd go ONLY if Larry dropped the admission price to $100 (with NO tier system) and let everyone have guns again (after all, it IS the apocalypse, right?).
Blenderhead

Postby Rob the Wop » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:05 pm

First strike. Seriously doubt it.
Second, third. Still doubt it.

There are lots of dry lake beds in the desert, any can be potentially used.

But there are a lot of problems with trying to use it for any sustained period.

1) Water. There are probably underground streams, but do you have drilling equipment? Is the water potable?

2) Food. Without large scale irrigation and soil treatment, you ain't growin' shit.

3) Food part duex. Animals to eat? Jackrabbits (NOT good eating), rattlesnakes (good eating but not gonna be near the playa), rats (again- not on the playa), etc. Hit the hills instead, the valleys are barren for the most part.

4) Environment. Wouldn't a cave be better protection from the heat and elements? The playa would suck. Again, hit the hills.

5) Protection. OK, if the serious threat happened- you couldn't miss someone camping on a large, featureless, uni-color, stretch of flat land. If the threat involved hiding from anyone- you're screwed.

Best bet is to find the nearest hills, preferably some with wildlife and running water. Find caves, stay out of sight, take E until the bad people go away.
The other, other white meat.
Rob the Wop

Postby dragonflyannie » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:08 pm

Rob the Wop said:
Best bet is to find the nearest hills, preferably some with wildlife and running water. Find caves, stay out of sight, take E until the bad people go away.

That answers my question pretty well Rob, thank you ;)
dragonflyannie

Re: well then...

Postby Taniwha » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:11 pm

dragonflyannie wrote: and might i ask (with the risk of sound naive, but on a need to know basis) who exactly would be landing there?

It used to be a gunnery range in WW2 (more up north past the Black Rock) which is why you often dig up shell casings (or live rounds - if you find one bury it!). I doubt it wouold be used again for a nuclear war .... no time for training fresh recruits ...

As I mentioned above the Naval 'Top Gun' school is nearby (just the other side of I80 near Fallon) - the rest of the stuff is further south (the testing ranges)
Taniwha

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:13 pm

I believe "NCA" is more of a designation of what the public can't do there, rather than what the government can do there.

In any case, Google on [lakebed landing] or [lakebed gunnery].
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: well then...

Postby Blenderhead » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:20 pm

Taniwha wrote:
"It used to be a gunnery range in WW2 (more up north past the Black Rock) which is why you often dig up shell casings (or live rounds - if you find one bury it!). I doubt it wouold be used again for a nuclear war .... no time for training fresh recruits ..."

Ummmm... if you happen to dig up what you might think to be a live round of ammunition, it might be a good idea to find BLM and let them deal.

Or it would make one hell of a "gift" to those campers blasting New Order on a loop 24/7 across the street.
Blenderhead

Postby dragonflyannie » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:22 pm

I looked this up:

http://www.nv.blm.gov/Winnemucca/blackrock/nca_faq.htm

if anyone is interested in why the black rock desert was made a national conservation area... interesting stuff.
dragonflyannie

Postby PJ » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:50 pm

Clue: Should the apocalypse come (nuclear or otherwise) the best choice for a new habitat won't be a place that's uninhabitable by humans.

Go and live as best you can in a place where stuff can be grown and hunted and gathered. It will rain a lot there. It will have distinct seasons.

Life will be primitive, nasty, brutal, and short. Most of you will die in the first two years from starvation, disease, and predation.
PJ

Postby dragonflyannie » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:59 pm

this is why i love the eplaya...
have a question? get it answered with no reservations.

you guys have painted a pretty clear picture of why the black rock desert wouldn't be suitable. my long time pondering of this idea has been put to rest.
dragonflyannie

Postby Taniwha » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:16 pm

PJ wrote:Clue: Should the apocalypse come (nuclear or otherwise) the best choice for a new habitat won't be a place that's uninhabitable by humans.

Go and live as best you can in a place where stuff can be grown and hunted and gathered. It will rain a lot there. It will have distinct seasons.

actually I'm having second thoughts .... should nuclear winter kick in the shores of the new black rock lake might be a perfect place to eeek out our post apocalypse existance ... I have dibs on Double Hot ....
Taniwha

Postby blyslv » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:33 pm

National emergency doesn't have to be the same as nuclear war. Maybe the federal government will declare such an emergency to crack down on internal dissent, or cover up statutes with bare breasts and states will start seceding. It's a militiaman's wet dream, but it could happen.

Theme Camp idea -- "Survivor's Camp: Celebrating the Post-Apocalypse Good Times. Join us as we replicate conditions of civic breakdown and martial law. Team together with a diverse group and devise coping skills and survival strategies. Free loaders will be eaten. Learn to make your own bullets."
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby PJ » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:52 pm

Taniwha wrote:...should nuclear winter kick in the shores of the new black rock lake might be a perfect place to eeek out our post apocalypse existance ... I have dibs on Double Hot ....

Bring all the canned food you can steal and protect it from your fellow travelers. Be sure to take along a can opener. Also, bring a sharp knife for slitting your wrists when the food runs out.
PJ

Postby Taniwha » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:54 pm

PJ wrote:Also, bring a sharp knife for slitting your wrists when the food runs out.

well - looking at your pic .... there'll be some good eating ....
Taniwha

Postby Rob the Wop » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:57 pm

PJ wrote:Life will be primitive, nasty, brutal, and short. Most of you will die in the first two years from starvation, disease, and predation.

I've been saying this for years, and I'll say it again here-
<i>"Vegetarians will become a food source for carnivores when the revolution hits."</i>

I predict living three years. You can help by camping next to me, being a heavy sleeper, and carrying BBQ sauce with you at all times.
Rob the Wop

Postby Kinetic » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:00 pm

I love the Black Rock but that's the last place I would go. I'd be heading towards Central America and the jungle. Plenty of water, lots of different plants and animals to eat, and yet remote enough to be able to hide out without being bothered should others pass through.
Kinetic

Postby PJ » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:05 pm

Kinetic wrote:...Kinetic...On Special Assignment in: CO, UT, AZ, NV, CA and testing some very cool experimental telco stuff!

You're not that annoying "Can you hear me now?" guy in all those commercials are you?
PJ

Postby Kinetic » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:10 pm

PJ wrote:
Kinetic wrote:...Kinetic...On Special Assignment in: CO, UT, AZ, NV, CA and testing some very cool experimental telco stuff!

You're not that annoying "Can you hear me now?" guy in all those commercials are you?

No, but I'm doing something very similar. I signed enough NDA's that my hands hurt, but I'm playing with some very cool toys as a result.
Kinetic

Postby Taniwha » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:14 pm

PJ wrote:You're not that annoying "Can you hear me now?" guy in all those commercials are you?

Worse than that .... you're not the guy who's installing the cell tower near Gerlach are you?
Taniwha

Postby antron » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:32 pm

hey k,

i'm no expert, but can't you get fired from you job for discussing company confidential anything outside work? at your telco, doesn't that include talking about not telling about the cool stuff you're under nda about?
antron

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:48 pm

No, I'm not installing cell towers. That job is already taken and it doesn't pay worth a damn.

If this works for certain groups they won't need cell towers. Satellites are another story as we use them for both communication and GPS. And the only other things I can say are think very small and ultralight, especially with the power source.

Postby Rob the Wop » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:53 pm

Anonymous wrote:No, I'm not installing cell towers. That job is already taken and it doesn't pay worth a damn.

If this works for certain groups they won't need cell towers. Satellites are another story as we use them for both communication and GPS. And the only other things I can say are think very small and ultralight, especially with the power source.

NDA means you log on as guest to spill secrets?

BTW, do YOU know where the weapons of mass desctruction are? Well? Hmmmmmm?
Rob the Wop

Postby PJ » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:02 pm

The world needs less phones and more conversations.
PJ

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:52 pm

Antron, I'm in danger of losing my job anyway by the end of the month. And the info I gave out is stuff I was told I could speak about.

As for the guest account, I asked the admins to pull the Kinetic account. It was time for a serious change and my departure from the e-playa should be a non event...well it's going to make some people happy. I have to thank the admins for honoring my request. Thank you Emily and everybody.

And with that, the Kinetic account is no more. Goodbye and goodluck to all!

Postby PJ » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:01 pm

Kinetic wrote:...I asked the admins to pull the Kinetic account. It was time for a serious change and my departure from the e-playa should be a non event...the Kinetic account is no more. Goodbye and goodluck to all!

Seems like an odd action for an applicant for a B.Man Regional rep. to take. I would think the interviewers would be looking for accessibility, consistent recognizability, and copious communications.
PJ

Postby Isotopia » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:06 pm

Seems like an odd action for an applicant for a B.Man Regional rep. to take. I would think the interviewers would be looking for accessibility, consistent recognizability, and copious communications.

and the ability to take heat. not to mention criticism.
Isotopia

Postby herself » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:21 pm

> Most of you will die in the first two years from starvation, disease, and predation.

Oh and where will YOU be Mr PJ?

enquiringly,
herself
herself

Next

Return to Open Discussion