CRUSH THIS

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby gigglesnort » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:49 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Where do you get planatian leaves?

Dunno myself. In what I read, the author claims they grow everywhere. But I thought it was a type of banana, too. Susan Weed says:

You're sure to see plain plantain's flat leaves growing in your lawn, by the driveway, along hte path, between the cracks in the sidewalk, beside the road, as a weed in your garden, in planter boxes, and even in your house plants.

Plantago lanceolata, narrow- or lance-leaved plantain, and Plantago majus, broad-leaved plantain.
gigglesnort

Postby bullD » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:16 pm

I am crushing the doctor that hooked me up with the steroids.
bullD

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:33 pm

gigglesnort wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Where do you get planatian leaves?

Dunno myself. In what I read, the author claims they grow everywhere. But I thought it was a type of banana, too. Susan Weed says:

You're sure to see plain plantain's flat leaves growing in your lawn, by the driveway, along hte path, between the cracks in the sidewalk, beside the road, as a weed in your garden, in planter boxes, and even in your house plants.

Plantago lanceolata, narrow- or lance-leaved plantain, and Plantago majus, broad-leaved plantain.
Plantain, Rat-tail Plantain, White Man's Foot

Evergreen perennial, spreading by seed, which cling to feet - it was taken to the New World for herbal use and became known to North American Natives as "White Man's Footsteps" as it followed the new inhabitants where they settled. Persists for many seasons, forming a rosette close to the ground, so it survives mowing. Tolerant to trampling, surviving on paths and driveways. The leaves contain tannins and astringent chemicals which, when crushed, make useful styptics for small cuts and an alternative to dock leaves for nettle stings.
from here
Image Nettle are pretty awful, but a different itch than poisen oak as I recall.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Martiansky » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:36 pm

Oh, yeah! Now I remember seeing that growing as a "weed" in the yard! I remember one of those backwoods magazines saying you can eat the stuff too I believe. If you had to.
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Postby Martiansky » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:39 pm

or...maybe not.....
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:40 pm

No, I think I ran into instructions while looking and they certainly had a lot of medicinal uses back in the day.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby samtzu » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:44 pm

okay... I crush plantain leaves....

..... now what? ....
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer
samtzu

Postby gigglesnort » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:50 pm

now spit em out onto all your owies.
gigglesnort

Postby Martiansky » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:53 pm

all over the places where you plucked out your hairs the other night!
Martiansky

Postby samtzu » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:56 pm

Well, I can't spit around corners, and that is a part of my body that my mouth can't reach, so I'll just sit on them.... oh! Oooooohhh..... mmmmmm..... and wiggle around a little.... man, that's... nice.... I haven't had this sensation since I was eighteen months old with a full diaper... hmmmmm.... yeah.....

... where'd I put those Depends?.....
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer
samtzu

Postby Martiansky » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:58 pm

You can remember that?
Martiansky

Postby Martiansky » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:58 pm

Oh, bad visual...bad visual! (the full diaper that is)
Martiansky

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:58 pm

Description: Native to India, plantains are grown most widely in tropical climates. At first sight, many people confuse them with bananas. Although they look a lot like green bananas and are a close relative, plantains are quite different. They are starchy rather than sweet and are used as a vegetable in many cuisine's, especially those of Latin America and Africa. Plantains are sometimes referred to as the pasta and potatoes of the Caribbean. Sold in the fresh produce section of the supermarket, they usually resemble green bananas but ripe plantains may be black in color. They are longer and have thicker skins than bananas. They also have natural brown spots and rough areas. This vegetable-banana can be eaten and tastes different at every stage of development. The interior color of the fruit will remain creamy, yellowish or lightly pink. When the peel is green to yellow, the flavor of the flesh is bland and its texture is starchy. As the peel changes to brown or black, it has a sweeter flavor and more of a banana aroma, but still keeps a firm shape when cooked.

Availability: Plantains grow best in areas with constant warm temperatures and protection from strong winds. They have been grown in scattered locations throughout Florida since the 16th century. Because of the occasional freezes, Florida is considered a marginal area for plantain production. They are available year round in the supermarket.

[url=Description: Native to India, plantains are grown most widely in tropical climates. At first sight, many people confuse them with bananas. Although they look a lot like green bananas and are a close relative, plantains are quite different. They are starchy rather than sweet and are used as a vegetable in many cuisine's, especially those of Latin America and Africa. Plantains are sometimes referred to as the pasta and potatoes of the Caribbean. Sold in the fresh produce section of the supermarket, they usually resemble green bananas but ripe plantains may be black in color. They are longer and have thicker skins than bananas. They also have natural brown spots and rough areas. This vegetable-banana can be eaten and tastes different at every stage of development. The interior color of the fruit will remain creamy, yellowish or lightly pink. When the peel is green to yellow, the flavor of the flesh is bland and its texture is starchy. As the peel changes to brown or black, it has a sweeter flavor and more of a banana aroma, but still keeps a firm shape when cooked.

Availability: Plantains grow best in areas with constant warm temperatures and protection from strong winds. They have been grown in scattered locations throughout Florida since the 16th century. Because of the occasional freezes, Florida is considered a marginal area for plantain production. They are available year round in the supermarket. ]from here[/url]
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby bullD » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:01 pm

I'm crrushing the fishy for being both funny and persistent.
bullD

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:02 pm

Martiansky wrote:Oh, bad visual...bad visual! (the full diaper that is)

The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:07 pm

Thanks, bullD
They also have natural brown spots and rough areas.
Hm. New eplaya motto?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby samtzu » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:26 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Martiansky wrote:Oh, bad visual...bad visual! (the full diaper that is)

I was never that cute... although my diapers were probably that full.... and my hairline is now that far back...
samtzu

Postby CoworkerLurker » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:07 am

I crush bullD for "getting" Rian!
bullD wrote:i don't know you in a face-to-face reality based way (although I'm sure that will happen some day), however, i do know that you posess intelligence, decent morals, and a rock solid personality.

(the implied crush of Rian is obvious, yes? even if she was awfully cute when protesting that bullD was "overly generous")
CoworkerLurker

Postby Ranger Genius » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:55 pm

A big fat crush for Technopatra (in addition to the usual omnipresent and implicit one) for this:
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?p=136985#136985

Today, this signature banner is all for you, baby.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby PurpleKoosh » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:06 pm

Ranger Genius wrote:A big fat crush for Technopatra (in addition to the usual omnipresent and implicit one) for this:

Heartily seconded.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby bullD » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:28 pm

PurpleKoosh wrote:
Ranger Genius wrote:A big fat crush for Technopatra (in addition to the usual omnipresent and implicit one) for this:

Heartily seconded.

yep.
bullD

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:28 pm

And third-ed!!!
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby GuinivereElise » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:43 am

a huge fricken crush to Rob the Wop for taking me out in his new ZoomZoom to a fanfuckintastic place in Portland. Yay!!!
GuinivereElise

Postby Rob the Wop » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:53 am

GuinivereElise wrote:a huge fricken crush to Rob the Wop for taking me out in his new ZoomZoom to a fanfuckintastic place in Portland. Yay!!!

Awwwwww. Anytime darlin', anytime. Big smootches to you.
The other, other white meat.
Rob the Wop

Postby Rian Jackson » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:25 pm

the fishist:

You are my surlshine,
My cranky surlshine.
You make me poofy as skies are grey
You'll never know dear, how much I fear you
Please don't let my surlshine dry out.
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby blueniteowl » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:01 pm

Ranger Genius for the hysterical limericks
blueniteowl

Postby buckethead alien » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:52 am

Guinivere Elise
buckethead alien

Burning Since: 1997

Postby GuinivereElise » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:01 am

[blush]
GuinivereElise

Postby Rian Jackson » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:12 am

crushing giggles, a lot, for this:

Times like these I feell mighty grateful as I think about the mothers in far away (or not so faraway) places who must deal with sickness in their children having poor and inadequate resources. Poor as we are, we have all we need. Makes my heart hurt
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby bullD » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:18 pm

crushing, big time, the person who quickly finished my slides. woo hooo!!
bullD

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion