40-60 mpg (Everyone Love's Me)
13%
60+ mpg (Only the Gods do better)
4%
I only use human powered vehicles!
5%

Total votes : 215

Postby Wind_Borne » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:47 pm

About 40 miles per gallon; and 40 smiles per mile.

Welcome back to the company of riders, Chai Guy.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington
Wind_Borne

Postby gyre » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:06 am

The last record holder I saw was a purpose built turbodiesel tested at high speed for days on a track. It had over 2,500 mpg as I recall. I can't find the current info on this record. I did find records of +10,000 mpg and +12,000 in the Shell Ecomarathon, the last for hydrogen. The rules for this one are so odd, that I think it is a meaningless record even for research. It's a short run at very low speed. Absolutely pointless.
There are some records for street cars from 100-155 mpg though. They used to achieve 50 mpg in contests in the 50s. A streamlined car could achieve 70 mpg with air conditioning without any exotic technology- just a decent gas engine. Air would costs more mileage than propulsion would on the highway. The trend in research is to a 1.6 litre gas or diesel with direct injection and variable compression achieved by a compressor or, in one case, a moving cylinder head. Much more practical than a hybrid, but it could be used in one.

I have proposed a light highway system added to the standard system which would be restricted to cars under 2,000 lbs. This would create more highway space and is very very cheap to build. Limited access would encourage use of light cars which I propose a spec system for. Anyone building one wold have to meet specific design rules. Some could be cheap and efficient, others could be very efficient and more expensive. To my shock, dot engineers I've talked to think it is a good idea. The low cost per mile for extra space is the winning point for them. Highways are about to separate cars and trucks anyway. Besides safety, building a mile for a truck costs much more than for a car. A light highway bridge might costs +$100,000 instead of millions for one that can carry a truck. All that has to be done is to convince the whole country. How long can that take?

If anybody cares, the highway speed record was set in 1938 at a speed just under 300 mph. The driver had to exceed 300 mph to set the average. That's pretty fast, folks. The location was the autobahn.

Check out the Drysdale V8 motorcycle out of Australia. Makes a Bimota look like a big wheel. http://home.mira.net/~iwd/
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:18 pm

I'm with AntiM. I haven't had a drivers license in 16 years- but since I live in San Francisco, a very small city with a mostly good public transit system, I don't really need one.

I take public transit to work, and walk home as long as it isn't pouring rain. If I need to move or get heavy stuff I usually go in with a licensed friend who belongs to City Car-Share, and we run errands together. On occasion a car owning friend will help if needed.

For night life, etc, I use taxi's. Not the best fuel economy, but I figure I'm still making less of an impact than I would owning a car.

I also try to use our plentiful farmers markets as much as possible to avoid the "cross-country lettuce" syndrome. Not always possible, but I just love all the fresh local food around here!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:49 am

Utah is receiving the first shipment of rails to build a commuter system between SLC and Brigham (just north of Ogden where I live) TODAY. Recycled steel rails at that. ABout freakin' time.

About damn time, although the "Legacy Parkway" is still going in parallel to I-15. Roads too crowded? Build more roads.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:56 am

This morning I saw a hybred make a turn without signaling.

virtue tarnishes.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Desert Duck » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:22 pm

This is what I want. Then I'll run it on leftover veggie oil from my fryer.
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Location: Oregon foothills near Silver Falls...wait, no...San Francisco...umm North bay?...The Playa!!!!

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sat May 13, 2006 5:16 pm

H1 goes down!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/13/autom ... ref=slogin

at 10mpg only a fucking idiot would drive one and I'm sure he supports the war and thinks he's a patriot for doing so! When he fills up he does so with Bl__d!

Only 30+ people have taken the poll and fifteen hundred people have read it.

that's nuts man.

Can it be that many are too embarressed by the car they drive?

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby wildilocks » Sat May 13, 2006 10:11 pm

Oh, don't I feel smug now - my 50cc scooter [sold in the US as the Venice] gets around 90MPG, apparently. I'm not so good with conversions of KPL to MPG so I just went off what I could find on the intarweb. I know it's a bit polluting though as it's a 2 stroke.

But I try to cycle to work at least half the time instead, as my daily commute is only about 5 miles. Depends on how much stuff I need to carry and whether or not I have other places to go in the evening.
wildilocks

Postby diane o'thirst » Sat May 13, 2006 10:47 pm

They only made $168 million on the Hummer over 14 years, that's pretty poor showing all things considered. I've always said Hummers aren't meant to be in the hands of civilians; fuel economy aside, our roads aren't made for them. They're made to move around the open wilderness, not traffic lanes. The tires rip up the pavement because they're so heavy, they crowd the lanes, and they're not even as good as the inspiration. Their tires go flat, the HumV's tires don't.

Sure, Schwarzenegger bought one and he had it instantly converted to hydro-cell power. He knows that stock, it's a piece of shit! Who'd want one anyway? Just get an Explorer or an X-Terra. You don't need bigger unless you're breeding St. Bernard's or you're Mormon and have 9 kids to haul around (if that's the case then you should forget the 4WD and just spring for one of those mini schoolbuses and repaint it, you'll be able to run biodiesel and save money).

Edit: Just read in the paper yesterday that Oregon's building two ethanol plants, one in Clatsanie. Forget where the other one's being built. They're going to cost around $12 million and will convert corn to fuel. Yeah!!
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby mdmf007 » Sun May 14, 2006 9:33 am

go to www.fbo.gov search for past conttract awards, and AMG

AMG has had contracts for 9 billion in Hummers.
the 168million represents only 16,800 humers. That is the amount of hummers sold in private hands last year.
the H1 was a success, the H2 was a phenomenal success.

And as far as weight Ford f-350 Crew cabs weigh more, have more power, and bettter fuel economy. There are lots of other rigs out there that are ridiculous. go check out Internationl trucks CXT - Whats the point in that one? 4 MPG ridiculoous.

As far as ethanol and biodiesel goes, choose one -Food or Fuel to import. The US consumption of automotive fuel could never be met by Biodiesel. We would have to replace every square inch of farm ground and more to grow enough crops to convert to fuels - leaving no room for food production.

I choose Fuel, I like the idea of being able to feed myself, and fuel rationing when it becomes necessary.
Just my 2 cents worth.

later
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby joel the ornery » Sun May 14, 2006 9:56 am

what is the point?

go anywhere, haul anything, in style.
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sun May 14, 2006 11:23 am

mdmf007 wrote:As far as ethanol and biodiesel goes, choose one -Food or Fuel to import. The US consumption of automotive fuel could never be met by Biodiesel. We would have to replace every square inch of farm ground and more to grow enough crops to convert to fuels - leaving no room for food production.

Hey maybe that can get rid of ag programs or subsities that pay farmers not to grow food. So the food import stance now becomes a slight probability and we save money to redirect into production plants.

No one source of fuel could ever supply america with it's current rate of gas consumtion. Multi-fuels! From recycled, wood, paper, garbage, shit, ethanol, alcohol, solar, wind, propane, methane, sugar cane, sugar beets and a whole lot of other stuff even the the bad oranges that are left on the ground. But I also think that bio-technology will create a super enzymes that can break down organic matter more effient then our current processes.

First America needs to cut it fuel usage by 50% or more.

That's easy for most americans. Just buy a more efficient vehicle. The poll shows that 50% of BMers drive cars rated under 30mpg. and what about biking, walking and mass transit.

With fuel prices nearing $4 and a barrel %75, liquidfied coal more then meets it's break even point and Montana has the greatist stores of coal.
Sure it's still fossil fuels, but it's another slice in a pie filled with many energy sources.

"Scooters" Only with a scarf flying behind me.

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby diane o'thirst » Sun May 14, 2006 12:24 pm

Keep in mind that we have 99 million acres of farmland being paid to lay fallow, and ethanol can be made from woody plant material, not just corn. We wouldn't even need to raze the fallow farmland, just harvest it as it is. Unfortunately, that brings up the "fuel vs. wildlife habitat" question.

One thing to consider is in decentralizing production, each community could produce its own fuel instead of trucking material to a refinery, trucking to distribution points, trucking to local fueling stations.

I asked my local station a couple days ago when they were going to offer E85, and he was of the opinion that it "wouldn't burn as efficiently at this altitude." Could have been a polite "fuhgeddabowdit," of course, because we're only 500 feet above sea level...
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby mdmf007 » Sun May 14, 2006 4:04 pm

If we could power america on Shit I am all for it, This country is full of shit!!

I myself believe the future lies in Hydrogen. Storage problems aside, it is about the cleanest burning fuel out there.

CXT's rule, but you have to admit pretty impractical.

later all.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

motorcycle

Postby Otisserie » Sun May 14, 2006 9:32 pm

I get 52 on the highway, but then again it's a motorcycle; does that count?

One thing about biodesiel or any plant-based fuel is that in theory it should reduce carbon emissions. If you grow crops you are taking carbon out of the air, then you burn them and put that carbon back in the air. From a carbon perspective that's a wash. Of course you have to add in the carbon released by the energy needed to harvest the crops and create the biodesiel. Still, it's a step up from fossil fuels which add new previously stored carbon into the atmosphere. The trick is not to use inefficient crops for fuel production (such as corn) that require lots of energy to convert into fuel.
I don't experiment with drugs anymore; I already know which ones I like.
Otisserie

Postby Isotopia » Mon May 15, 2006 8:59 am

Getting back to the original question...

I think the idea of fuel efficiency is somewhat relative. If I have a Hummer and drive it 2000 miles a year for my annual sojourn to the backcountry of Alaska am I a 'bad' person?

What if I drive my Toyota Prius 40,000 miles annually as I commute from Marin to Palo Alto.

Carbon taxes such as the one's suggested on these sites seems to look at the issue

http://carbonfund.org/

http://grist.org/

http://nativeenergy.com/
Isotopia

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Mon May 15, 2006 9:23 am

Isotopia wrote:Getting back to the original question...

I think the idea of fuel efficiency is somewhat relative. If I have a Hummer and drive it 2000 miles a year for my annual sojourn to the backcountry of Alaska am I a 'bad' person?

<Yes, if it's a H1, but not as much as you are stupid. Gas is really expensive there so look into something more efficient- a ford 150 still gets better gas mileage.>

What if I drive my Toyota Prius 40,000 miles annually as I commute from Marin to Palo Alto.

<Glad you drive a Prius, but you should look into something a little closer to work if you can. Some people can drive less in their job- I can't! Better fuel efficiency is my only resort!>

Carbon taxes such as the one's suggested on these sites seems to look at the issue.

<Oh Boy! here come the Carbon Police! Don't need no stinkin' Carbon Pigs just higher prices will motivate the system. Perhaps the oil industry is doing America a favor?>

AIIZ

Apollonaris Zeus

Price of has no effect

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:29 pm

This past June recorded the largest consumption of gas in history!

How much less or more driving did you do?

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby EspressoDude » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:44 pm

lets see....Its all about weight, how much do you need to move around.

Used to have a '41 dodge army pickup flathead 235 cuin 6 one bbl carb.
mileage: 8- 10 mpg cuz it weighed 4500 lbs

daily commuter rig is about 20-25 mpg. 8 miles to work. buy gas every 2-4 weeks. My Harley is 40-50 mpg, ride it whenever possible, but can't haul everything to burningman on it.

Best way to save gas>> live close to work

Rental rig...10mpg, but only drive it to/from BM.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby helitack » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:53 pm

12-15 mpg, 5798 pounds of Detroit iron. But I can get a bunch of stuff in it. And it's paid off. Got 300,000 miles so far, more to come.
helitack

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Apokiliptika

Postby BAS » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:07 pm

I'm driving a Saturn Wagon, I have no idea what gas mileage it gets. I'm looking into getting an old school bus and maybe a diesel station wagon (the bus is proving easier than the station wagon...), and converting over to waste veggie oil and biodiesel (home brewed). The biggest problem I am facing is that I live in an apartment and haven't found anywhere to work on the vehicles or brewing biodiesel.

Hey, maybe this is a good spot to ask about such things! :)

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby ibdave » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:37 pm

Well after having my 17mpg suv totaled, my wife and I got her a Toyota Camry Hybrid... WOW.. What a cool ride.. Never had it so nice..
Right now were getting 32mpg in just city driving.. Were still learning how to change our driving habits, when we learn how to drive it it should get 40mpg in the city.... 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby cowboyangel » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:30 pm

I drive a truck.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Re: Price of has no effect

Postby diane o'thirst » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:30 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:This past June recorded the largest consumption of gas in history!
How much less or more driving did you do?

Since Memorial Day I've done more driving than I did in the past six months.
First, I drove from Eugene to San Jose to Santa Cruz to Eugene again...that's easily 1000 miles right there...
Then around the Solstice I drove up to Portland and back... 225 miles all told...
Then the next week I drove up past Walla Walla WA, a round trip of about 700 miles.
And a week before I take off for the Playa, I'm going to Boring again for another horse show so that'll be another 225 miles tacked on to the odometer.
445 miles from here to BRC, which means another 890 miles.

So this summer, discounting around-town driving (I try to do a circular route when I do errands), I'll log about 2600 miles. I get roughly 17 MPG and tank up with Plus because Regular eats my engine up.
GAH!!! Hurry up and start selling E-85, dammit!!!
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:36 am

larry averages 500 miles a day and a semi gets 7 mpg (deisel). Where does your lettuce grow?
AntiM

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:29 pm

hey i'm not talking about how your company transports it wares people. The options are too limited other then biofuels. Hauling 50,000 lbs of bananas around takes alot of fuel.

I'm talking mainly about your personal transportation!

Mine got 47 mpg on a recent trip. My best ever.

AIIZ

PS- War= $4.00 this summer can we afford War in the middle east mind alone the cost of gas!
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby AntiM » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:48 pm

Well, actually right now it is carrots to Con-Agra. But that's not important right now ... unless you like frozen dinners.
AntiM

Postby diane o'thirst » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:59 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:PS- War= $4.00 this summer can we afford War in the middle east mind alone the cost of gas!

No, we can't afford the war. But the way things are going, we'll be living with nuclear energy imported directly from North Korea and hand-delivered by Al Qaeda (how very accomodating of them) very soon. Image
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby BAS » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:48 am

AntiM wrote:Well, actually right now it is carrots to Con-Agra. But that's not important right now ... unless you like frozen dinners.

I eat an awful lot of their frozen dinners.... :?

B.

P.S.: Doesn't ANYONE make a diesel station wagon these days?!!
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby can't sit still » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:10 pm

"P.S.: Doesn't ANYONE make a diesel station wagon these days?!!"

If you want a little one, there's the diesel Jeep. If you want a big one, there is the Sprinter van. If you want an old one , there are plenty of MBZ wagons running around. Check Craigslist. There are tons in the bay area.
I haven't seen any new diesel wagons. The MBZ will run forever.
I put one of their turbo-diesels in my pickup. Wagons have become pase because of mini-vans. I doubt that anyone will build one soon. There are diesel utility vehicles like MBZ and Land Cruiser.

Good luck on your search, but I think that you'll have to get an old MBZ and refurbish it.
Dan
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion