register your complaints against other users here.

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

register your complaints against other users here.

Postby III » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:48 pm

created because people couldn't seem to keep it out of the case studies thread, which is intended for post facto analysis rather than bickering over exactly which nit was picked.
III

Postby rodent » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:52 pm

Or send them to the "Verbal Thunderdome" thread...

---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)
rodent

Postby jimbobby » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:26 pm

I would like Tancorix's account disabled because he called me a thief. As I have shown, that statement is libelous and legally actionable. I quoted his public blog under the fair use priniples of copyright law. I would hope that someone becomes familair with those laws before they toss around threats of legal action (a threat is a violation of the TOS by the way). Beyond that I feel he is violating the 'expected behavior' rule also.

That's three strikes in my book.
<oh my gawd!>
jimbobby

Postby geekster » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:40 pm

I would like for anyone that ever threatens legal action to have their accounts immediately suspended for the purposes of safeguarding their rights.

People have a right to take legal action. Once such action is proposed, it is time for them to stop talking here and start talking to a lawyer. Further talking here could get them into trouble or possibly damage their case.

I would also like to see any user that threatens legal action and doesn't follow through with it to have their accounts permanently suspended because their threats could be tantamount to harassment or bullying.

in other words, if I threaten action, I should be suspended from posting until such action is complete. If I threaten action but do not follow through, I should be banned.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby dougaldutch » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:48 am

I agree that at the moment it is just too easy for someone to threaten legal action without having to make good with the threat. It degenerates into an an ugly mess of people trying then bolster their threat or counter a threat with their interpretation of the law, handly cut and pasted.

Friction is increased on the board even further and while friciton can be good and will always exist between certain indiviuals, when it becomes deterimental to the whole it has gone too far. The board of late seems a tad tense, or is it just me?

There needs to be clear consequences for anyone claiming to take legal action, the suspension seems fair but the total ban a tad harsh. Certainly people familiar with the board would be aware of the consequence but what about newbies. Also how to deal with sock puppets, a total ban means they just up and create a new persona and head back into the fray.

DougalD

Just a few thoughts
I'm off my tits on Happiness!
dougaldutch

Postby spectabillis » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:37 am

dougaldutch wrote: Certainly people familiar with the board would be aware of the consequence but what about newbies. Also how to deal with sock puppets, a total ban means they just up and create a new persona and head back into the fray.

Newbies dont have a reason to make that kind of threat. Socks are not a problem because it bans the IPaddress, so they would have to log from a computer on a completely different net.

But for legal reasons, yes, any threat made be treated strongly for the bmorg to protect itself from liability concerns, in preparation of the situation the persons involved carry through.
spectabillis

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:17 am

Jeeeezzzz.

You guys are really draggin eplaya even further through the dirt with this thread. It's bad enough that you could'nt do a good enough job before no matter how many bullies you put on one person at the same time and could'nt get it right. Now this?

Seems like desperate measures to me.

I did see an attorney yesterday. Guess you did'nt notice how long I was off the eplaya, anyway (since you guys brought it up. And dont say I'm still talking about it.) and yes, it is going to not only be a lot of trouble but it is going to take a lot of time.
You people are about the sillyest people anyone has ever seen.

Maybe you guys should take heed to Technopatra's advise and just go and stay on 3playa. You guys are not gonna do that. Why?? cause you guys like bullying the unknown.

You guys are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. ( and I bet you guys wanna mix that shit up again, why, because you guys are not that bright.) I seriously wonder if spending the money is actually worth it as sad as you guys are.

Anyhoo. cant talk about this any further. Enjoy the rest of you guys sad day. :lol: (sad life really)

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:27 am

Speaking of following through. The OP nor any other posters in this thread have ever done what I've done. When I say I'm gonna do something for eplaya I do it. I dont just talk about it. I've done (amougnst other things.) hosted 2 chats.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby geekster » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:23 pm

You guys are not the sharpest knives in the drawer

Yeah! THAT's the way to win friends and influence people! Call them names! Why didn't *I* think of that!

Ya see, while I might not agree with everything people say and don't really have a problem calling people on things, I *TRY* to do it in a way that doesn't disparage them personally. I also accept the fact that some people are more sensative to criticism than others and see criticism as an attack rather than an opportunity to grow.

My observations is that you, on the other hand, often appear to lash out when people disagree with you. This results in escallation and it eventually spirals out of control.

I am FAR from perfect and am guilty of loosing control myself or not paying close attention to what I am saying and being mean at times. When I have caught that, I have tried to come back and apologize for the behavior.

I will agree with the silly part. That is a major part of the fun for me. It is okay to be a little silly here. Well, I feel it is okay because I sometimes like to act like a clown and make people smile. As far as the sharpness rating of the knives in the drawer ... if we want empirical evidence we can all just sit down and take a test. I don't see, though, where intelligence has much to do with social graces. I see that as more a function of how one was raised.

Just because someone disagrees with someone else or finds someone's behavior irritating, it doesn't mean they are stupid. We might make more progress here if we found ways to communicate our frustrations without demeaning.

Now, exactly what made you think that the comments about legal action were aimed specifically at you? I was speaking in GENERAL terms. You are but one of a set of people that have used promises of legal action to somehow bolster your position or shield yourself from criticism or retaliate against turds flung your way.

You know, if *I* were to decide to take legal action against someone, the LAST thing I would do is let them know it was coming. I would allow them to continue to dig themselves deeper into trouble until one day there was a knock on the door and a summons was served. To tell everyone about it not only allows your potential adversary time to prepare and collect information to use against you, it also makes it look like you are using the threat of it to intimidate people into changing their behavior to something you are more approving of. In other words, you are using the legal system as a potental weapon in order to control someone's behavior. In this case you are reducing the law to something akin to a brandished weapon or raised fist. Just remember that the law is there to work for everyone, not just you. Once you decide to enter into that system, there are mechanisms designed to protect the other party too.

Yeah, I am surely not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I know that and I enjoy learning things from others. What can you teach me today, DVD Burner?
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:05 pm

geekster wrote:

You guys are not the sharpest knives in the drawer

Yeah! THAT's the way to win friends and influence people! Call them names! Why didn't *I* think of that!

DVD wrote:I've been called all kinds of names on this board. You think what I posted above was "name calling"? Calling someone silly doesn't exactly seem as severe as calling someon an asshat/asshole/asswipe. :lol:

Ya see, while I might not agree with everything people say and don't really have a problem calling people on things, I *TRY* to do it in a way that doesn't disparage them personally. I also accept the fact that some people are more sensative to criticism than others and see criticism as an attack rather than an opportunity to grow.

DVD wrote:I'm sorry if calling someone silly has "disparaged someone here personally". :lol:

My observations is that you, on the other hand, often appear to lash out when people disagree with you. This results in escallation and it eventually spirals out of control.

DVD wrote:Lash out? who posted on this thread first about whom?

I am FAR from perfect and am guilty of loosing control myself or not paying close attention to what I am saying and being mean at times. When I have caught that, I have tried to come back and apologize for the behavior.

I will agree with the silly part. That is a major part of the fun for me. It is okay to be a little silly here. Well, I feel it is okay because I sometimes like to act like a clown and make people smile. As far as the sharpness rating of the knives in the drawer ... if we want empirical evidence we can all just sit down and take a test. I don't see, though, where intelligence has much to do with social graces. I see that as more a function of how one was raised.

Just because someone disagrees with someone else or finds someone's behavior irritating, it doesn't mean they are stupid. We might make more progress here if we found ways to communicate our frustrations without demeaning.

Now, exactly what made you think that the comments about legal action were aimed specifically at you? I was speaking in GENERAL terms. You are but one of a set of people that have used promises of legal action to somehow bolster your position or shield yourself from criticism or retaliate against turds flung your way.

You know, if *I* were to decide to take legal action against someone, the LAST thing I would do is let them know it was coming.

I would allow them to continue to dig themselves deeper into trouble until one day there was a knock on the door and a summons was served. To tell everyone about it not only allows your potential adversary time to prepare and collect information to use against you, it also makes it look like you are using the threat of it to intimidate people into changing their behavior to something you are more approving of.

DVD wrote:That's the diffrence between you and I, I am a sympathetic person. I ask for consultation first, then decide if it's what I really want to do. If it's not what I really want to do I give fair warning to the persons I really dont want to inflict leagl damage to. It's called "a heads up, lets work this out", kinda thing.

In other words, you are using the legal system as a potental weapon in order to control someone's behavior. In this case you are reducing the law to something akin to a brandished weapon or raised fist. Just remember that the law is there to work for everyone, not just you. Once you decide to enter into that system, there are mechanisms designed to protect the other party too.

DVD wrote:Again another area where you and I differ. If I give warning about a legal issue I have concern with, belive me there must be a reason for me to bring it up. Geek you seem like a nice guy, take CWL's advice. Read what I post with an open mind. There is always an answer to why I do what I do. usually for the most positive reasons. (you may not think so but it's true.)

Yeah, I am surely not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I know that and I enjoy learning things from others. What can you teach me today, DVD Burner?

If you cant pick up the moral to my post here in this thread, there is not much I can teach you. Not only that, I do not teach, it is way too much trouble.

I'm not going to proof this response/post.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Return to Feature Requests