Merging Request/ Moderator Action

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Merging Request/ Moderator Action

Postby Rian Jackson » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:57 am

Hey Techno and team:

Maybe I'm putting this in the wrong place, I'm not quite sure. But can we merge Jim Mason's threads? Or possibly issue him a warning to stop making so many new ones on the same topic?

I feel spammed, especially since he clearly is not involving himself to any real extent in the conversations happening there. It's making it difficult to follow the discussion.

Ah, well, you guys know best how to handle this. I'm just sayin'....
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:02 pm

Bunch of fragile flowers. Just leave it alone.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby technopatra » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:04 pm

This is a discussion we had with him. Jim asked that since his posts were referring to specific documents, we leave them separate so the discussion could focus on each doc.

It was kind of a gray area as the topics are certainly related, but not actually duplicated. If you feel this violates the crossposting guideline, we will revisit this with the rest of the eplaya admin team.
technopatra

Postby Badger » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:07 pm

Maybe I'm putting this in the wrong place, I'm not quite sure. But can we merge Jim Mason's threads? Or possibly issue him a warning to stop making so many new ones on the same topic?

It'd be nice if we could do the same with all threads that are turning into chat rooms.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Rian Jackson » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:09 pm

nah, it felt like grey area to me too.

mostly it's just that it's clear that he hasn't really involved himself in discussion, but rather is posting his stuff (that IS mostly duplicated) just to fill up space/ justify himself/ boost his ego/ whatever. That, for me, tipped it into the cross-posting realm.

thanks for talking to him. if he starts making a bunch more, then it might be time to take further action? just saying....

thanks, T. you're a rockstar.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bunch of fragile flowers.

*snort* troll.
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby technopatra » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:39 pm

Badger wrote:

It'd be nice if we could do the same with all threads that are turning into chat rooms.

How are you defining that? Do you just mean boring conversations? No can do.
technopatra

Postby Dork » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:09 pm

I'd rather we just had an "ignore" function that kept things off our "view posts since last visit" list. The threads we all hate are usually the ones with a ton of posts so obviously someone feels they're worthwhile to keep around.
Dork

Postby Rian Jackson » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:04 pm

Ah, Techno! Help!

Ok... so now it's at the point that unless i do a search for jim's posts i can't find all the relevant threads. his latest ones are not document related but instead a way to get attention to his name and his words rather than joining in a discussion.

Personally, i feel like it's over the edge. I want to be involved in this conversation; i want to be part of this dialogue. It's currently very difficult.

Can ya do something?

Thanks bunches,
me
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby technopatra » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:53 pm

Yes, I have combined them into the "We Have a Dream" topic. The original argument for posting separate threads was that each would generate a big, focused discussion. That clearly isn't happening . I am leaving the Chicken John one for now as it already has 3 pages of replies and I think that merging those two would causes confusion.
technopatra

Postby Rian Jackson » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:01 pm

hey, whaddaya think about merging Jim's new makershuggersgiftersdrinkers onto Andi's thread, as it is a direct response to Andi's queries?

can ya warn Jim again? i realise you're working with him and he's not listening but he's driving a lot of people batty with his constant creation of glory threads - that actually serve to disrupt the flow of reasonable conversation.

thanks. you're still a rock star.
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby Badger » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:53 pm

Personally, I don't know that it be a good idea to merge one person's thread into another's. Could be like grafting half a fruit with half a vegetable.

I know I'd be annoyed if that happened to one of the threads I started.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Simply Joel » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:59 am

Badger wrote:Personally, I don't know that it be a good idea to merge one person's thread into another's. Could be like grafting half a fruit with half a vegetable.

I know I'd be annoyed if that happened to one of the threads I started.

Badger, yet you put sufficient thought into your posts... and that is where i percieve a difference.
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby
Simply Joel

Return to Feature Requests