5%
e-Playa
9%
eplaya
18%

Total votes : 22

What to call the eplaya

Postby spanky » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:01 pm

I see lots of different ways people write the word "eplaya" and, being a stickler for consistency, would like to settle on something we can all agree on, so here is an unofficial poll:
~Spanky

\<>/
spanky

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:04 pm

Well I think no matter what it should have caps on the "E". It gives Eplaya more respect.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:13 pm

How many variants can you list in a trademark application?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby precipitate » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:23 pm

Wouldn't it be advisable to fix the product first before focusing on
redesigning the brand logo?

(Shamelessly stolen from someone else, but spot-on.)
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby stuart » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:35 pm

y'all fixed it fer yerselves by migrating. The rest of us are having a fine time.
call me baby
stuart

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:36 pm

stuart wrote:y'all fixed it fer yerselves by migrating. The rest of us are having a fine time.

Thank you very much.

Stuart always gets it.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:18 pm

Per
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://bbs.burningman.com/

the name "e-playa" was used by the web editors from 1998 through 1999, but the editing became glaringly inconsistent after that.

Bob

Postby Lydia Love » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:54 pm

The rest of us

not always.

there are still things about this board that drive me completely bug fuck.

So I only read a couple of threads and ignore the rest and grit my teeth over the broken bits that can't be ignored.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby stuart » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:08 pm

muc the same could be said about another board
call me baby
stuart

Postby Rian Jackson » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:08 pm

HAH - our Home Away from Home.

*smirk*

i don't like capitalization. (hush, i didn't SAY capitalism! quit auto-editing me!)
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby Badger » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:52 pm

y'all fixed it fer yerselves by migrating. The rest of us are having a fine time.

Really, Stuart, that's the sort of simplistic one-liner I'd expect DE FUCTO to come up with. It also suggests a level of exclusivity that doesn't actually exist on either board as far as I can tell.

I'm disappointed in ya' bud.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby tonytohono » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:56 am

We are part of a virtual representation of something that actually exists, and of which we wish to emulate in some way, shape, or form. If you capitalize the E it makes the playa less relative. If you capitalize the P you end of looking like some meglo-crap-assed corporate entity that yes, I admit to utilize myself on a regular basis.

I even type it that way myself on occasion, and it got my vote (ePlaya). But if you look up at the eplaya logo it is spelled all lower case and it looks great that way.

The thing is Badg, do we really want consistency? I mean who really gives a rat's ass if it is spelled this way or that way? Perhaps uBeRpLaYa would like it better like ePlAyA or would that be EpLaYa.
tonytohono

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:45 pm

Badger wrote:

Really, Stuart, that's the sort of simplistic one-liner I'd expect DE FUCTO to come up with. It also suggests a level of exclusivity that doesn't actually exist on either board as far as I can tell.

I'm disappointed in ya' bud.

As I've said from the begining, I thought that Eplaya is about Inclusion.
The people on that other board were doing the exclusion/exclusive thingie and if you think they were'nt excluding indivisuals then need I remind you why the "is Eplaya a club for 5 people?" was created. Calling Defacto Defuto is excluding.
Anyhoo,
I think Tony may have a point though, sometimes I think who gives a rats ass how eplay is spelled, it's the inclusion that counts.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Badger » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:21 pm

The thing is Badg, do we really want consistency? I mean who really gives a rat's ass if it is spelled this way or that way?

Doesn't really matter to me. However one spells it I usually have a pretty good idea of what's meant. I opted for 'e-Playa' because I remember reading a similar discussion in the NY Times around the word 'e-mail' and what the correct spelling should be.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:57 pm

Lets go rad and call it Xplaya or XtasyPlaya or Sextasyplaya!

Oh shit I don't really care and thought the whole idea was stupid anyway!

Xplaya!

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby stuart » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:45 pm

disappoint

sorry to,

I was just a little off put by P dropping in to throw a criticism. I think most of them folks are just swell and miss some of them being here but it seemed kind of like a petty jab for no apparent reason. I meant what I said when I said they seemed to have fixed the problem for themselves. Do you disagree?
call me baby
stuart

Postby Ivy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:09 pm

Stuart,

If you must know, I was the one who originally said it, not P. One reason she dropped in to say it was becuase I didn't feel like ebing trolled and slandered for posting my opinion, which is still one thing I think is "broken" about this board.
I also still find the eplaya difficult to follow becuase of the design layout (the boxes, the dividing lines, the massive overload of information shoved on the screen) and I still have yet to see a reliable and valid way to keep track of what I have read and left unread.
It is my opinion that these issues (which have been on the table a long time) should be addressed before any new issues, such as consistency in spelling of its name.

Just so we're clear that it wasn't a petty jab, and yes, I do disagree.
Ivy

Postby stuart » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:43 pm

well, fuck you for disagreeing with me. That is no longer allowed on the eplaya. You can disagree with others, just not me.

really though, I just felt like someone was poking their head in my party and saying that my party sucked and then leaving immediately thereafter. I truly believe the 3playa was a wonderful solution to a perceived problem.
call me baby
stuart

Postby Ivy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:00 pm

I truly believe the 3playa was a wonderful solution to a perceived problem.

It wasn't a solution, it was an alternative. Does Xara Dulzura fix problems that people percieve Burning Man suffers from?
Ivy

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:29 pm

Ivy wrote:Stuart,

If you must know, I was the one who originally said it, not P. One reason she dropped in to say it was becuase I didn't feel like ebing trolled and slandered for posting my opinion, which is still one thing I think is "broken" about this board..

Trolled and slandered? Last year you trolled me (and slandered me many times.) About my Idea about eplaya camp. I wondered whether or not anyone wanted to do one and you came back at me with the " seems like you want everyone to do it for you" nonsense. (To Paraphrase but I’m sure I got it right.)I'm sure you have noticed that there are people that want to do an eplaya camp as much as I did. You were rather mean about something I was serious about. You have always been mean and when you get back the energy you give, you go hide on another board and whimper and complain.

Ivy wrote:It is my opinion that these issues (which have been on the table a long time) should be addressed before any new issues, such as consistency in spelling of its name.

Just so we're clear that it wasn't a petty jab, and yes, I do disagree.

It is petty. Belive it or not it really is. There is no board on the web that is perfect. If you see a problem (Physical not virtual ie; me being a problem.) then fix it or find someone that can. Ra, Spanky and everyone else have thier hands full and Techno has been asking for a php guru for the past year. You complaints are old because you are not comming up with a solution.

Ivy wrote:I also still find the eplaya difficult to follow becuase of the design layout (the boxes, the dividing lines, the massive overload of information shoved on the screen) and I still have yet to see a reliable and valid way to keep track of what I have read and left unread.

Does it make your head explode? Come on now. It's another petty petty complaint that is not really worthy IMHO but hey, you are entitled to make your complaint.

Seems to me you and a few others are just interested in complaining and making others miserable. Why do you do it anyway? I was nice to you the first day on eplaya, the second day on eplay all the way up to and after the little incident on the "Girlie girl" thread. I have even complimented you on your website and you were, and still have been, really nasty. ( and I don’t mean that in the nice way.) I’ve even said you were a nice person even when you weren’t.

Seems to me you took your queue from Trey and PP and want to stay that way while everyone here on eplaya is not only having fun but getting things accomplished. Maybe you feel like you are left out or your toes were stepped on because someone stole your thunder, but the chip on you shoulder is, like I said, from the energy you are giving off.

IMHO of course.

Let it go.

Seems to me you are really upset about something else. Maybe because someone is dishing back what you have been dishing out.

At least Joel is creative about the way he goes about things when he does'nt agree, and funny from time to time. Not everyone agrees on everything on this board but we learn to work things out. You guys can do that too. You just need to try.

It amazes me that you guys would complain to Techno about me. I have never complained to her about anything. If anything I try as best I can to pump her up mentally from the bullshit she and Spanky have had to go through. ( yes, the same mean people that are on the other board insulted and called Technopatra and Spanky some really bad things. I have no idea why they stick up for you guys.)

Why dont y'all Relax or something. Come back and be usefull on eplaya? Go on the Bar thread and have a virtual drink and have some fun and let your hair down. No need to be mean, really......or you can be mean if you like. Just dont go crying and hiding cause you cant take it.

Now I belive this Thread Spanky created was "What to call the eplaya"

What did Dr. LRB say about thread drift?

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:30 pm

What to call the eplaya?

Awsome.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby technopatra » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:54 pm

Ivy wrote:It is my opinion that these issues (which have been on the table a long time) should be addressed before any new issues, such as consistency in spelling of its name.

Me too. So come help. Or help me find some help. I have no tech support (beyond major server issues) right now, and haven't for the last oh 8 months or so.

The spelling of eplaya is something we can do without PHP assistance. The other changes you request we can't. Precip had offered to help, got some work done to implement a graphic-less skin, came up against some kind of barrier (skinning the tool is not as easy as it seems like it should be) and bailed because she is too busy with other things and too irritated with certain members of the eplaya to want to help it.

Part of the reason we chose this tool is that a lot of people know PHP. Unfortunately, they do not seem to be compelled to help with the eplaya. I even worked it so that P would not have to joint he web team to helpp out the eplaya, but alas, it wasn't enough.

I fully support your right to bitch, however nothing can be done until I have the support I need to make changes. Perhaps that energy could be more productivley spent contacting anyone you know who might know PHP and want to help?

There is a new web team volunteer that I put dibs on to help, but he can't do anything until after the training in early Dec. I did send him off to the phpbb site to see about rampling up on this tool.

Either way, tho, I encourage you to let go of the old eplaya. It was a different product witha different interface and is not coming back.
technopatra

Postby technopatra » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:01 pm

Whoa whoa whoa, this is not the place to get into a personal scrap. Please cool it, you guys.

Ivy posted a legitimate "wtf?" questioning the priority of sorting out the name over other issues that are still on the table. I understand her frustration - it is second only to my own.

DVD, as always I appreciate your support. You have said some really nice things to me at times when I really needed to hear them. But Spanky & I have toughened up quite a bit over the past year and don't want to be any cause or excuse for you guys to go at each other.

'kay?

On topic: ironically, the spelling I prefer "Eplaya" is not listed as a choice. However I do find myself typing "eplaya" more than anything else.
technopatra

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:48 am

Man, How do I miss this stuff?

OK TP,

So anyway, What was the conclusion about the name?
Also How about this as a suggestion, Maybe take up donations for a better BBS. One that everyone will be happy with and one that the Admin's would like that makes it easy for the to transfer the database?

Just a suggestion.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Re: What to call the eplaya

Postby MoisturePup » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:24 pm

spanky wrote:I see lots of different ways people write the word "eplaya" and, being a stickler for consistency, would like to settle on something we can all agree on, so here is an unofficial poll:

I think we're going to have to rename the eplaya "Jim Mason's mass comnique dumping ground.
MoisturePup

Postby Bob » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:44 pm

MoisturePup's orientation probably would be toward BiCaps.

But really, isn't this "playa" thing kind of an albatross? The poll should be on

eRegional / ERegional / E-regional / E-Regional / e-regional / e-Regional / eregional

Hope this helps.

Bob

Postby III » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:05 am

>Part of the reason we chose this tool is that a lot of people know PHP. Unfortunately, they do not seem to be compelled to help with the eplaya.

i think that part of what you're missing is that there is more to software than just understanding the language it was written in. the actual underlying design affects how manageable modifications and maintenance are. software like wordpress has hooks built into it to allow easy expansions. phpbb, on the other hand, is a hellish miasma of distributed and interdependent parts. a number of us have looked into it, and backed out with our hands in the air, and offers of apologies for not being able to help out because it's just such a pain in the butt to figure out, much less modify without breaking it.

i hope that the plone efforts resolve those issues, though i suspect that the performance issues will be seen as a greater detriment than a lot of the things that are being complained about right now.
III

Postby spanky » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:49 pm

yikes!

It was really a simple question. When we write the word "eplaya" (decapitalized for neutrality) we should be consistent. Seems that the poll results show that most folks prefer "ePlaya".

Thanks for your, um, feedback. :)

~Spanky
~Spanky

\<>/
spanky

Postby Bob » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:41 pm

Um... given that the banner already uses "eplaya", and the URL isn't case sensitive, why take a poll? My guess is the banner designer used "eplaya" because the descenders on the p and the y and the ascender on the l looked nicely balanced.

Bob

Postby technopatra » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:52 pm

III wrote:>Part of the reason we chose this tool is that a lot of people know PHP. Unfortunately, they do not seem to be compelled to help with the eplaya.

i think that part of what you're missing is that there is more to software than just understanding the language it was written in. the actual underlying design affects how manageable modifications and maintenance are. software like wordpress has hooks built into it to allow easy expansions. phpbb, on the other hand, is a hellish miasma of distributed and interdependent parts. a number of us have looked into it, and backed out with our hands in the air, and offers of apologies for not being able to help out because it's just such a pain in the butt to figure out, much less modify without breaking it.

Point well taken, III. The way it was communicated to me before was that it was kind of a bitch and the folks who'd offered to help simply wanted to do other things. I didn't realize how fundamentally difficult this is.

III wrote:i hope that the plone efforts resolve those issues, though i suspect that the performance issues will be seen as a greater detriment than a lot of the things that are being complained about right now.

Well I can guarantee that as long as I am adminning this board, I will chain myself to the bloody server if our tech guys try to changeover the tool without adequate testing - and by that I mean that the performance would need to meet my standards before I will allow it. I have the handcuffs at the ready.

Tho to be perfectly frank, I am losing faith in Plone as an adequate replacement. Development is happening very slowly, and I have heard sweet FA about any great strides in their discussion tool. Granted, I have not looked too hard, either. I am not hip to rush any kind of changeover and I have yet to come across another freeware tool that I see as superior to phpbb.
technopatra

Return to ePlaya Feedback