Eplaya is doomed

We're doing it wrong...we know

Eplaya is doomed

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:58 am

Doomed, I say...are we soon to become victims of our own success? There is WAY to much information in these forums. Fewer and fewer newbies are chiming in with questions about how much water they should bring, which theme camp should they join, where the playa concession stands are located, etc.

I propose that at least 60% of the information found herein be expunged from our files. Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that since we are not getting the same levels of idiot questions, the degree of snark we have enjoyed in the past has dropped.

Delete the info or face extinction, eplayans...the choice is yours. Unless this was Larry's intention to begin with.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Re: Eplaya is doomed

Postby Elliot » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:27 am

Ah yes, if sarcasm can drip, Dragonpilot presents us with a downpour.
I'm afraid the problem lies in human nature. I've done it myself, on other forums. To me, it has been a matter of "I don't know where to start", so I simply asked. And I received answers -- from kindly enthusiasts who weren't fed up yet.
And those kindly enthusiasts are us.
I'm considering typing up some standard replies that I can paste in, but most people are still individuals, deserving of the personal touch.
Some partially standardized replies would certainly make sense. And I like how some ePlayans have important links in their signature.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Fundraiser now live: http://igg.me/at/elliotsbicycleservice/x/11087604

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby sadie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:09 am

dragonpilot wrote: Fewer and fewer newbies are chiming in with questions about how much water they should bring, which theme camp should they join, where the playa concession stands are located, etc.

Concessions!!??!! Well spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska!! I didn't know there were concessions!! Do they take a debit card? :lol:
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!
sadie

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Postby Elliot » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:22 am

sadie wrote:
dragonpilot wrote: Fewer and fewer newbies are chiming in with questions about how much water they should bring, which theme camp should they join, where the playa concession stands are located, etc.

Concessions!!??!! Well spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska!! I didn't know there were concessions!! Do they take a debit card? :lol:

Indeed.... Many tall yarns have been spun here on ePlaya over the years about the Food Court and similar BRC features! :lol:

Elliot

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:25 am

sadie wrote:

Only "Burner Bucks" accepted in the food court!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Elliot » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:42 am

FIGJAM wrote:[...
Only "Burner Bucks" accepted in the food court!!!

I hear that the exchange rate is changing this year, from the old USD 1.60 per Burner Buck to more like USD 1.80. But at the same time, they are supposed to bring in better vendors.

Elliot

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:06 pm

this is turning out to be just like the similar namedforum on Assbook
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby trilobyte » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Giving this a nudge over to Feature Requests in the ePlaya Feedback board, since that's a better fit. In other words, you were doing it wrong! :P

Weighing in on the serious side, we actually get a lot more posts and participation from first timers and new burners than we have in the past (hell, our userbase had nearly doubled in less than 3 years). I think there's a fair bit of snark on the site, but not the over-the-top levels that it had been during its 'wilderness years.' And that's a good thing. I think snark, sarcasm, and tough love are a good thing... but when things get mean-spirited it's only fun for trolls. The site's primary mission is to help people plan and prep for the burn, so as the brain trust evolves and grows that's a good thing. Eric's post on snark is awesome, and I hope that kind of stuff never goes away.

On the not-so-serious side, doom is good. The man is doomed, every fucking year. So are many of the structures - some of the most amazing art and structures and experiences I've ever had on the playa... were doomed from the start. Whether it was to fail on the launchpad, suffer catastrophe along the way, or meet its end in fire... it did it's thing and is gone. I don't think it would be the same experience if they just brought out the same man and temple every year, would it?

If ePlaya's doomed to anything though, it's doomed to evolve and grow and change. Think New Improved Doom if you will. I am all for that. Don't worry, we'll continue to do it wrong, as we've been doing for more than a decade. :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ygmir » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:58 pm

yeah, I came in at what I like to call the "end of the second age", eplaya had flourished first, died, and been re-born, a few years before me. I seem to have come in (though I doubt caused) at a time of change, where some of the "big players" of yore, were still trying to hold on tight to the past, and being snarky, down right rude, at times.
I got my ass kicked weekly, if for no other reason than I was new, and didn't agree with many politically, and had "other" ideas. The original "Bar" thread had tech issues, and a new one was started (Bar2), to help load times, but that drove a huge wedge between a group of the originals.............Some, we able to transition, move on, and have fun......some, "took their ball and went home". Of those, some went peacefully, others, Trolled their way out.
I sort of see us at another "event horizon", in the we have a wonderful crew of semi new folks, and some very new.
And all that goes with it, is great!! I guess I'm more on the "old timer" side of it, though not nearly as long as some still here, but, probably in terms of shear posts. I see others chiming in and being helpful, answering questions, stirring it up and even snarking and such.......it's all in good fun, good spirit and, I'd say mostly, harmless. I don't see the board dying, as long as a few new folks show up and participate. It's not like long ago, when you were "put to the test" by some, some that are still here, with probing questions, false flag arguments, derision and at times flat our rude behavior.
When is was pretty much just AntiM, things were great, she kept some of the worst at bay, and all went well.
When the Mod. crew changed/increased, a new level of civility, (started by AntiM) was brought in......and yeah, it changed it from the edgy stuff that sometimes took place, to more reasoned and polite discussion, but did not diminish anything, IMHO, just changed the flavor a little.

I still find this place, a concentration of the best humor, wittiest repartee, and deepest well of knowledge, I know. Helpful people, willing to share experience and wisdom.
It is a place, I can hang with my "betters", and feel accepted and acknowledged.
Your "Playa Soul" is what matters here, not your education, gender(s), color, age or language.

R.S.

Ygmir
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:03 pm

As Political Officer of great Kamp Apokalyptika I know doom. I bring doom. And to this eplaya doom, I say Meh.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:29 pm

trilobyte wrote: The site's primary mission is to help people plan and prep for the burn, so as the brain trust evolves and grows that's a good thing.

I don't trust MY brain!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby aserendipity » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:50 pm

PLAYA SOUL !

yay

xoA.
aserendipity

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:04 pm

The quality of the ticket begging is falling off.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Return to ePlaya Feedback