Disable HTML and BBCode

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Disable HTML and BBCode

Postby Packoderm » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:37 am

I really do not understand why somebody would want HTML and BBCode enabled on this board, but it seems that it might be better for them to be disabled as the default setting and for the user to enable them if needed.

About BBCode: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode[/url]

Also, I do not see any way to delete posts. Is this omission, if this is indeed the case, intentional?
Packoderm

Postby AntiM » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:40 am

Not being able to delete posts is intentional. You post it, you explain it. Moderators can delete posts, usually spam or personal information, or posts which disrupt the board (repetitive posts, extreme personal attacks).

As for the BBCode, I have no idea why the board is set up as is.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Disable HTML and BBCode

Postby Here and there » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:09 pm

Packoderm wrote:I really do not understand why somebody would want HTML and BBCode enabled on this board, but it seems that it might be better for them to be disabled as the default setting and for the user to enable them if needed.

About BBCode: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

So, you're the person who is to blame for that? This was your idea? This has been implemented as a default, and all that it really seems to be is a halfway decent way to trip up the newbies and waste everybody else's time: ever see a post with unrendered code on the board? Why is this a good thing?

I would think that it would be a matter of common sense that the default settings should reflect what people usually want, which would be for the code they enter to actually work. Otherwise, why would they be entering it?
When in doubt, hit the ignore key. You'll seldom miss anything worth reading, and your blood pressure will thank you.

My Homepage: Torchlight
Other Pages: My Foes List
Here and there

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Oh, not Pack, he's too new.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:24 pm

[quote="Packoderm"]I really do not understand why somebody would want HTML and BBCode enabled on this board, but it seems that it might be better for them to be disabled as the default setting and for the user to enable them if needed.

About BBCode: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode[/url]

Also, I do not see any way to delete posts. Is this omission, if this is indeed the case, intentional?[/quote]

Do you like it better this way?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:44 pm

I suspect the reason it's disabled by default is spammy phisherbot mitigation, and not to trip up the new folks. It's a sticky setting though, so once you uncheck the 'disable' box all your posts will show up properly moving forward. I'd like to see some improvements in the way the board is set up to better screen out the spambots, if/when we can 'fortify the gates' I think it makes sense to try and change things to enable bbcode/html again. No promises, but we'll see.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Here and there » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:57 pm

trilobyte wrote:and not to trip up the new folks

I would never suggest that this was what the admin intended, but it surely is a side effect of the default settings chosen.

trilobyte wrote:if/when we can 'fortify the gates'

Finding ways to do that would be a good subject to explore. I wonder what people would be prepared to accept, in order to see that get done.
When in doubt, hit the ignore key. You'll seldom miss anything worth reading, and your blood pressure will thank you.

Here and there

Postby Here and there » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:17 pm

trilobyte wrote:I suspect the reason it's disabled by default is spammy phisherbot mitigation

Oh, and by the way, not to be mean about this - but that is a non sequitir, and I do have to call you on that. The url inserted into code that fails to work is still there, and can still be clicked on. In no way will keeping the code from rendering keep the spammer from doing what he came here to do.

As anybody who has ever run a blog and dealt with spammers knows, they are perfectly happy to leave ugly messes behind and to have their bots do the same. Some of us know this, because we've cleaned up those messes more times than we care to count. The people who are going to be bothered the most by the thought of their posts looking unsightly will be the legitimate users of the forum, not the spammers.

Here and there

Return to Feature Requests