Sock Puppets

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Sock Puppets

Postby technopatra » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:34 pm

Ok guys, please have your discussions about sock puppets here. Please do not use this as a forum for accusations of sock puppetry, but rather as a place to talk about why you have a sockpuppet, your experiences/frustrations dealing with sock puppets, and what, if any, policies you'd like to see around sock puppets.
technopatra

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:44 pm

Thank you TP.

so as I was saying;

well then Melissa don't say anything to me anymore.

I don't say anything to you and I do not start shit with you. I steer clear of you because I love watching other newbie's flame the shit out of you politely.
If you don't like my smilies then youare going to have to be great full I post nothing else but smilies to spare you any public embarrassment.

maybe eplaya's priorities ought to be the plonker.

just a suggestion.

My posts are no worse than putting icy hot on my balls. (though I really cant imagine ever doing that. but it was really funny.)

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby precipitate » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:46 pm

And this relates to why you use sockpuppets how?

If you want to stir shit with me, use your PM button.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby pheonixphire000 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:56 pm

I don't understand why someone would have a sock puppet. Why can't you just say what you have to say and then deal with the consequences. I have also seen people have arguments with themselves or just talk with themselves on the eplaya. What is the point of this? It just seems silly to me. Just my personal opinion.
pheonixphire000

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:58 pm

precipitate wrote:And this relates to why you use sockpuppets how?

If you want to stir shit with me, use your PM button.

No this has nothing to do with socks. but I see you dont get that.

This is a continuation from here. as far as socks goes, so you and Trey dont use them. so what. Badger does, many people do so what.

no need to get into that with you. way too silly. even though this "do as I say not as I do" attitude really needs to stop.
best way is you not say anything to me anymore. you as far as i'm concerned are not important to me. You dont impress me.
I've done my part. Eplay has several plonkers, I.P. trackers, blah blah blah.
Just take care of your end and we'll be done with each other.
dont bother me and I wont bother you. I prefer watching the newbies handle you.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:10 pm

Of course not, why would you post a comment about sock puppets to a thread titled "Sockpuppets" that would be ridiculous!

My take on sockpuppets:

The few people that have socks and are "out" about them don't really bother me. I find Isotopia's posts hilarious, and I don't think they would be as funny coming from Badger even though everyone knows they are the same person.

What I find annoying is the people who use their socks as "yes" puppets, or people who feel that by having a sock they are some how more intelligent than the rest of us (why? Because we didn't figure it out? Maybe we just don't care!)
Chai Guy

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:12 pm

pheonixphire000 wrote:I don't understand why someone would have a sock puppet. Why can't you just say what you have to say and then deal with the consequences. I have also seen people have arguments with themselves or just talk with themselves on the eplaya. What is the point of this? It just seems silly to me. Just my personal opinion.

as to your question. there just is too long of a story of how my socks came to be.
you'll have to research that one on your own.

start with digiman.

never patronize _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ . or you'll wind up with a ton of socks.

plus the PM's only hold 30 messages. (30x4 some would never be able to figure that out.)

Really need the spellchecker also. hey I sent several. :roll:

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:13 pm

I'd suggest a rating system.

Maybe finger-based (number of, or which digit).

Or a one-to-five scale based on no. of Motrin tabs.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby III » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:17 pm

i've used socks. it's arguable that "trey goesh" is a sock - even if it's a very comfortably worn one.

reasons for socks:

- personal experimentation: it would let me engage in behaviors i'd normally avoid because of the judgement of others. i've since gotten over the need for this one, mainly because i'd learned that the core values would shine through no matter what, and the same people would either accept or reject me, regardless of name.

- voicing unpopular opinions: i used the moniker "spectator hunter" back in '98 on the eplaya, advocating violence against photographers. lets just say it wasn't one of my more shining moments.

- manipulation: i'd toyed with the idea of doing this back in my usenet days, but decided it was just too much effort, besides which the lessons learned from the personal experimentation days proved to me that i, at least, am not really capable of manifesting sufficiently diverse personalities to keep myself interested.

- professional responsibilities: sometimes you perform a professional role, rather than representing yourself. in this case, it's a nice idea to have a separate address (say, mayor@gigsville.org, for example) which may be used for those professional duties, and transferred to someone else, or terminated when those duties are over. i currently have one of these for the eplaya, which will have certain adminsitrative privileges for the reorg, and then will either be mothballed or put away.
III

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:21 pm

this sockpuppet topic is old and has been done before.

viewtopic.php?p=18512#18512

another "do as I say not as I do" BS thingie.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:40 pm

Chai Guy wrote:
DVD Burner wrote:No this has nothing to do with socks. but I see you dont get that.

This is a continuation from here. as far as socks goes, so you and Trey dont use them. so what. Badger does, many people do so what.

no need to get into that with you. way too silly. even though this "do as I say not as I do" attitude really needs to stop.
best way is you not say anything to me anymore. you as far as i'm concerned are not important to me. You dont impress me.
I've done my part. Eplay has several plonkers, I.P. trackers, blah blah blah.
Just take care of your end and we'll be done with each other.
dont bother me and I wont bother you. I prefer watching the newbies handle you.

Of course not, why would you post a comment about sock puppets to a thread titled "Sockpuppets" that would be ridiculous!

My take on sockpuppets:

The few people that have socks and are "out" about them don't really bother me. I find Isotopia's posts hilarious, and I don't think they would be as funny coming from Badger even though everyone knows they are the same person.

What I find annoying is the people who use their socks as "yes" puppets, or people who feel that by having a sock they are some how more intelligent than the rest of us (why? Because we didn't figure it out? Maybe we just don't care!)

And I see you didn't get it either though I can see how that could happen when you read only what you want to read. that's why I kept the whole quote in tact. I'll let you figure it out. (even though you already showed that you did'nt get it. That does'nt mean anything about your level of intellegence. :roll: )

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby PurpleKoosh » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:53 pm

Chai Guy wrote:I find Isotopia's posts hilarious, and I don't think they would be as funny coming from Badger even though everyone knows they are the same person.

We do? I must've missed that memo....
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:59 pm

To reiterate what I just posted elsewhere re: Policies:

FWIW, I've seen not much since the changeover that would lead me to suggest evicting anyone aside from the [other person's name][obscene reference] character, but I don't read everything. Not seeing the full record, including complaints to the admin, I'd trust tp's judgment.

Fake identities in general (other than recognizable "playa" names), along with no personal info linked from a profile or able to be gleaned from posting history, automatically lead me to take postings under those names with a 100g grain of salt. Readers who cannot distinguish the few kooks, crackpots & malicious trolls from more sincere contributors, and can't avoid overreacting to the benefit of no one, perhaps deserve to get sucked in, IMO.

Maintaining multiple IDs is by itself no big deal, unless used in in malicious or extreme violation of the guidelines, other obvious BBS conventions, or the comportment one should expect at the event. Joe Dunphy on the old eplaya passed my test for this when he essentially faked being a regional contact on top of repeated arguably libelous character assassination.

Even if the posting standards currently aspired to by the web team are more sensitive than those used previously, my own would allow for quite a bit before I would chalk up a strike on someone simply over a sock puppet or two. Idiocy is a separate issue, even chronic idiocy -- a "plonk" function would do nothing for the benefit of newbies who wouldn't stay long enough to bother wading through the inevitable expositions of who's plonking whom.

Bob

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:01 pm

DVD Burner wrote:....that's why I kept the whole quote in tact....

Hardly.

Bob

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:07 pm

And I see you didn't get it either though I can see how that could happen when you read only what you want to read. that's why I kept the whole quote in tact. I'll let you figure it out. (even though you already showed that you did'nt get it. That does'nt mean anything about your level of intellegence

Honestly, I read the whole thing before I posted, then I read your quote above and so I went back and I re-read it, and I still have no idea. I rarely understand what it is that you are trying to get across and I make it a point to try to understand everyone. My only guess is that you really don't care or want people to understand you, if you did you might consider changing your posting style a little.

Purple Koosh,
We do? I must've missed that memo....

Really? It was on the same memo re: cover sheets on your TPS reports, I'll re-send.
Chai Guy

Postby precipitate » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:09 pm

> We do? I must've missed that memo....

And that happens, too. It's here.
precipitate

Postby precipitate » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:12 pm

> No this has nothing to do with socks. but I see you dont get that

Begging pardon, Tony, but this thread has nothing to do with anything but
socks.

If you wish to continue to post non-responsive answers, fine. But know that
it's really fucking annoying. Which, I'm sure, is why you do it.
precipitate

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:18 pm

Chai Guy wrote:Honestly, I read the whole thing before I posted, then I read your quote above and so I went back and I re-read it, and I still have no idea. I rarely understand what it is that you are trying to get across and I make it a point to try to understand everyone. My only guess is that you really don't care or want people to understand you, if you did you might consider changing your posting style a little.

So as I said, I knew you would'nt get it and I know why.
As I said;

This is a continuation from here. See , "here" is a link that is a continuation from where the post originated from.

Like I said, knew it would be too complicated for you. :twisted:

Nothing to do with your level of intelligence.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:19 pm

I'm up to three Motrin, btw.

Bob

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:20 pm

precipitate wrote:> No this has nothing to do with socks. but I see you dont get that

Begging pardon, Tony, but this thread has nothing to do with anything but
socks.

If you wish to continue to post non-responsive answers, fine. But know that
it's really fucking annoying. Which, I'm sure, is why you do it.

told you when you say nothing to me i say nothing to you.

I know you dont get it.

A gene thing for sure.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:23 pm

Four....

Bob

Postby III » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:25 pm

>> you dont get it

i'm quite sure it would take a tequila enema, a boot to the nuts, and a prefrontal lobotomy to get it.

most human beings aren't quite ready to lower themselves to your abysmal intellectual standards for the questionable reward of "getting it".
III

Postby precipitate » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:37 pm

Done. You win, asshole.
precipitate

Postby PurpleKoosh » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:39 pm

precipitate wrote:> We do? I must've missed that memo....

And that happens, too. It's here.

d00d - your memory's a fuck of a lot longer than mine.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:12 pm

precipitate wrote:Done. You win, asshole.

So what's the diffrence between this and fuckwit and blah blah blah.

did'nt calsur get a warning about doing something like that?

another do as I say not as i do.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Tancorix » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:19 pm

With apologies to all, forgive me for what I'm about to say. I couldn't post all day due to job constraints related to govt work. Now I can.

Tony: As a person, I like you. You have some good ideas, you've tried to implement changes here and with some things you've had success.

That being said your eplaya characters have made my life a living hell. We share some similarities on posting styles and that has caused people to think we're one and the same. That is definitely not the case, but every damned day I hear sock comments directed towards me. Just today on the 3Playa I was accused of being you, again. I am so fucking sick of this I can't stand it.

I did create socks here, and Trey explains the reasons behind them a lot better than I did. I have to say that a well run sock is fun, and even more so when it's a character stretch such as being a male and taking on a female role. It's like acting without the camera, a role playing situation that in some aspects can be beneficial to the person involved, and in some cases let you share experiences that might get you ridiculed or ignored. A sock has it's place.

But if a sock acts like an ass, then it deserves to be taken out. And in the case of A3, TP's actions were justified imho, and I am glad she had the authority to do what she did. I deeply admire and respect TP...it's good to see her not so stressed over WSPR and A3 characters anymore.

Anyway Tony, back to you. I understand the complaints. The one liners, the cryptic threads. It drives me crazy. Back when I was posting and was depressed, I tried to avoid one liners and put in tons of stuff. Yeah it was bad, but it was something readable. This is a content driven board, you have to add content here. One liners while occasionally appropriate are like junk food to a place like this. You have to add substance, quality content to sustain it. Have your posts done that? I think not. And I ask you to step back and take a long hard look at them. Seriouslyl

And while I'm venting, once and for the last damn time, I am Tancorix. I have no socks now and haven't for months. I was known as Kinetic and some still call me that...and someday I might go back to that ID and immediately retire Tancorix when I do. Beyond that, there are no fucking socks people, at least from me. I apologize to all for any damages the previous socks caused, some of the actions I took with my old socks cost me some friendships that I regret losing. I feel the pain every day on the 3 Playa and apologies have done nothing to blunt that pain. In fact Tony, with everyone thinking I'm you, it keeps them dogpiling on me. I'm at the point that I'm thinking of walking away from the boards, and from BM itself because of this. It literally drives me crazy and it's making me sick. I know that's wrong but it's just stating what Trey and a few others in private have seen. And it has to stop.

Now if you'll excuse me, and with apologies to all for my foul language born of sheer frustration, I'll let others have the forum. And wait for the inevitable attacks which is all I seem to know from both boards anymore. I wonder who else is going to accuse me of lying, or of being you? When does the attacks stop?

Shawn aka Tancorix, formerly known as Kinetic
Tancorix

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:34 pm

Dood,

Unlike you I cave not to BULLIES. I have no idea about this allanon thing. that all came from you guys.

So far the only ones that have not contributed to eplaya are club 5. the rest of you all can cave in to them. I wont.

Even I have contributed more than they, (from what I know.) I've seen a lot of so cal $#@%# talkers that have been bulling newbie's and me and that's all I see from them.

do things your way with them. they are no friends of mine nor do I want to be around them and their drama. (good thing we aren't next to each other in person.)
go hang with them if you must. fine by me. there are way too many better people here than they. In fact I'm sure there are more than plenty here that would not have a problem if they never came back to this board and stayed on their own board. Eplaya would still be better without them.

but that's neither here nor there. I have not called them "assholes" asswipes, (well except for SED once called that first.) but they are nothing new.

They screw up often and will again big-time. and I would like the privilege to be there when they do.

so do what you gotta do.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Don Muerto » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:07 pm

What is there to 'get' about a guy with such an inflated opinion of himself that he has to create alternate identities so that he can hold conversations with 'people' he respects?

It takes exactly two sentences to figure out that Tony is not the smartest guy in the world. Unfortunately, he gives you one-hundred a day to reinforce that impression.

I have no problem with socks in general, but the purposeless creation of socks for self-indulgent ego wanking seems to me an abuse of the board. IMO its not a sanctionable abuse, but it is rather rude and antisocial and lowers the signal to noise ratio dramatically. I see it as somewhat akin to tearing your shirt off your skinny white torso at a party, rubbing your hands all over yourself while exclaiming: "God! I make myself so HOT!"
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Don Muerto

Postby III » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:08 pm

>>from what I know

which has already been established to be nothing nada zero zip zilchweed bullfuck void.

it's nice that you're a legend in your own mind. lord knows you'll never amount to anything anywhere else.
III

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:12 pm

here comes club 5.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Next

Return to Feature Requests