Need more Avitar information

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Need more Avitar information

Postby calsur » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:41 am

To the Eplaya,

I did a real quick, on the fly survey on the Avatars that are currently working.

They are Isotopia, Nipples, Abeerinthemorning, Lydia Love, Quad Princess that show up under the 2003, theme "fuck".

Under 2004 stuff, Lujak, De Facto, Lastrealburner, Zanaru, RingO"Fire, Tiahaar.

Also Badger and Tonka changed their Avatars and appear in both the 2003 and 2004 with working Avatars.

All the working stuff is Jpeg or Gif images under about 7 kb. Badger busts the curve here with a 10.9 NEW Avatar. Also there was one Bitmap at 15.6 kb.

So why am I posting here? What is working is above. To the people with dysfunctional, busted, "just isn’t working" Avatars, lets hear what your Avatars are in the size and format area. I think the problem is a switch or setting but need data from users to prove it. If you have the Avatar on your computer, highlight the file, do a right click and select "Properties". This shows you all the data you need, file size & format.

Now having poked my stick into the wasps nest, I am going to switch over to Amazon and order a Rush and B-52's CD's
calsur

Reloaded

Postby zanaru » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:52 am

My avatar turned to the dreaded red x after the upgrade. I have since reloaded it.
zanaru

Postby precipitate » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:22 am

It seems pretty clear that the upgrade process wiped out the avatars
directory. Technopatra's looking into restoring it.

In the meantime, feel free to reload your avatar.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:56 pm

the eplaya should have been backed up before the upgrade or at least a montly tape backup should have been done. just restore the backup into a new directory and search for the gif and jpegs.

copy and paste into the new avitar directory. :?

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby precipitate » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:58 pm

Thank you so much. I'm quite certain the administrators wouldn't have
been able to figure that out without your help.

Or were you suggesting that Calsur do the restore?
precipitate

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:01 pm

precipitate wrote:Thank you so much. I'm quite certain the administrators wouldn't have
been able to figure that out without your help.

Or were you suggesting that Calsur do the restore?

Sorry to have embarrased anyone. I just had a hard time imagining doing anything without backing it up. habit of mine.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby precipitate » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:09 pm

I'm not sure why you assume that it wasn't backed up. I mean, it may not
have been, but there's nothing to indicate that in my post. I simply said
Technopatra was looking into restoring it.

You've seen the speed things move around here. It'll get done when
someone has time to do it. I hardly think it's a high-priority item.
precipitate

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:20 pm

precipitate wrote:I'm not sure why you assume that it wasn't backed up. I mean, it may not
have been, but there's nothing to indicate that in my post. I simply said
Technopatra was looking into restoring it.

You've seen the speed things move around here. It'll get done when
someone has time to do it. I hardly think it's a high-priority item.

Darling,

please reread your post. I did'nt say anything about eplaya not being backed up nor did I suggest that you had said anything period.

relax. I was just suggesting the obvious. it really had nothing to do with you. no need for you to grab an attitude. not unless that makes you feel good. if so keep on keeping on.

Yes I of all people am aware of the speed Eplaya runs. If you respond to this post , or even respond in an upset tone I'm just going to let you be. in fact I'm going to let you be anyway because it takes too much of my time and it sucks up my post count. :P

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Lets get back to the THREAD of this post

Postby calsur » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:00 am

NOW, what I am trying to identify is what avatars are NOT working and their size and format. You know, trying to get info to fix the problem.

If "precipitate" & "DVD Burner" want to argue about what should have been done and all that, START YOUR OWN POST. Other wise, shut the fuck up. If I want to listen to idiots argue I will invite my Mom and brother Tim to dinner.

For the rest of the time I want to see 2 thing posted here. The size of the busted avatar in kilobytes and the format (jpg, tiff). This is straight information gathering, nothing more.

Information Tech types tend to have preconceived ideas about what is causing a problem. They are too focused. We now know what is working, lets identify what’s broken. A pattern may emerge.
calsur

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:10 am

:lol:
yes calsur. sorry about that.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby III » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:46 am

>>Information Tech types tend to have preconceived ideas about what is causing a problem

boy do you ever.

that doesn't keep you from being wrong, though.

oh - 2.3 kb, gif. does that help your correlation?
III

"The Misytery of the Missing Avatars"

Postby technopatra » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:36 pm

Actually, Calsur DID give me the info I needed to figure out what happened. Bless yer heart for handing me the right dot to connect:

The default max image size for phpbb is 6k. We changed it on the last version to be 15K fairly early on, so it is probable that most avatar images were greater than 6k.

When we installed the new version and folks tested it on our dev site, all looked fine - because all the images were cached and we didn't think to instruct folks to clear it for testing. (noted as something to not f*ck up again).

When the live version launched I again didn't immediately see a problem due to the caching until III clued me in.

Then the bug reports started coming in about missing avatars. Simultaneouly, someone who was trying to re-upload their avatarhad a problem due to size limiits. Spanky responded that the max size was set to 6k, and reset it to 15 or 20k- it rang a little bell with me but it'd been so long I'd forgotten that we'd had to do that the first time, too.

So the new version would only allow a 6k max file, effectively killing almost but not all of everyone's avatars.

(i think. I'lll validate this theory with Spanky)

Calsur and III, you guys are SO the Beth and George to my Nancy Drew. Everyone knows they did all the legwork while Nancy got the glory when she announced the thief/saboteur/kidnapper. Thank you!

Now to figure out if we can just re-implement the avatars we've got, or whether everyone has to re-upload...stay tuned for the next exciting installment of "The Mystery of the Missing Avatars".
technopatra

SO the Beth and George to my Nancy Drew

Postby calsur » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:53 am

George, not Beth.

technopatra, thanks for explaining the reference. I was always a Hardy Boys fan myself.

And just a bit about me. When I get interested in a thing like the avatar problem I tend to FOCUS on it to the exclusion of things like manners. I apologize if I was harsh with people in previous posts.

And III, I am a surveyor and not a IT guy. But I appear to be the only surveyor born after 1700 in Caltrans District 12 so I spend a lot of time trying to explain why we need this non-Caltrans software to work on Caltrans computers to the IT people and why this will NOT work to the surveyors. No shit last week I said this. "You can not plot a 42" wide map on this plotter because it only takes 36" wide paper." And to answer your question, your 2.3 kb, gif busted the curve in the other direction. According to what I was able to see, your avatar should work.

From the previous post by technopatra, there is some ideas and a possible solution. I hope so. Later
calsur

Postby III » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:58 pm

>> I apologize if I was harsh

me too.
III

Re: SO the Beth and George to my Nancy Drew

Postby technopatra » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:48 pm

calsur wrote:George, not Beth.

FYI - George was a girl, too. The butch one. ;-P
technopatra

Postby admin » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:03 pm

Hey, yeah! The avatar upload size was wrong. But that wasn't the problem; the avatars/imges directory was moved during the backup for the migration and I forgot to move it back over. I merged the two directories together and it appears all is well again. My apologies to the boards for overlooking this obvious step. BAD Sysadmin :oops:

~Spanky
admin
Site Admin

Postby DVD Burner » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:23 pm

Well that gave me a good laugh. All that thinking about kb's and all. :lol:

Spanky is still da man #2

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby juanicoheal » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:18 pm

Boy am I glad to see all your smiling faces again!

Three Cheers for ADMIN!
juanicoheal

Glad you got it worked out.

Postby calsur » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:50 pm

But I am NOT going to read any Nancy Drew.
calsur

Return to Feature Requests