ePlaya Forum Index Organization

We're doing it wrong...we know

ePlaya Forum Index Organization

Postby antron » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:18 pm

heya,

it's now pretty clearly, and, hopefully, permanently 2004. it might be a good time to re-order the forum index page, move 2003 to the very bottom, move tips and tricks up, and perhaps add in the topics apropos to preparing for the burn this year.

i'm sure that's a lot easier said than done. i don't want to call for any unnecessary work, but it might point folks toward the event that brings us together in the first place.

thoughts?
antron

Postby technopatra » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:17 pm

You're totally right, Antron, buit we need to rethink and reduce the whole architecture.

I'll admit some temerity as any reorg will make familiar threads harder to find at first, but that's unavoidable. I'm working on a reductinoplan that I'd liek to post and get feedback on to help ease the transition, if I ever finish the damn thing.
technopatra

Postby III » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:30 pm

>>any reorg will make familiar threads harder to find at first

i'm happy to hear this, since in the past the approach was to just throw everything out and let the chips fall where they may with new empty categories. take a little bit of time, to decide what the minimum needs are,and what might need to be rotated annually (or less to my taste, biannually) and what can be set up as a permanent fixture.
III

Postby technopatra » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:18 pm

yep III, that's the plan. To have a plan, and follow it.

I took another look at your previously proposed structure, and while I still think it needs to be a little broader, I'm definitely shooting for "less is more" with easily and logically archivability.
technopatra

Postby III » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:00 pm

i'll admit that my previous suggestion (which i can't remember at all now) was biased towards the minimalist side. i think a good guideline would be to be able to access all the categories from a single page, without excessive amounts of scrolling, or navigating to sub folders.
III

I need/I want forums

Postby precipitate » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:44 pm

Given the new TOS that prohibit selling stuff, might it not make sense to
replace the I need/I want forums with a message sending people to
craigslist, obtainium, etc.?
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Re: I need/I want forums

Postby technopatra » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:28 am

precipitate wrote:Given the new TOS that prohibit selling stuff, might it not make sense to
replace the I need/I want forums with a message sending people to
craigslist, obtainium, etc.?

Well, it was meant to be a gifting forum, which I think is still valid. Pewrhaps more specific messagin about gifting in the folder description? Or when we collapse the forum, I could post a sticky message - one that would stay at the top.
technopatra

Postby precipitate » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:55 am

Yes to both. Yes to gifting, yes to sticky message about rules. Excellent.

Though even gifting might be better handled on craigslist and other
regional boards, I do have this PVC pipe that needs a home ...
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby technopatra » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:07 am

Ok, descriptions are in.

you raise a good point about gifting elsewhere. What does everyone else think? Should we keep a place for folks to gift? We may just collapse the folders into the "Tips & Tricks", which we may collapse intoa larger category of "preparation" or somesuch.

What do y'all think?
technopatra

Postby III » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:24 am

for me, the more collapsing, the better. but you knew that...
III

Postby technopatra » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:03 am

yeah, I did, and I'm leaning more and more your way, III.
technopatra

Postby III » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:10 pm

just a note - we are getting towards the time when traffic will be picking up.

i have no idea what the status of the reorg is, but i suspect that if it's going to happen, and that there is a desire to mionimize disruption, that it should happen soon. real soon. (probably measured in days, rather than weeks...)
III

Postby III » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:13 pm

>>mionimize

minimize.
III

Postby Chai Guy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:29 am

I was just taking a look at a the organization of folders and wanted to throw this out and see what everyone thought.

1. NEWBIE QUESTIONS- It seems to me that about 60% of these posts are asking questions that have already been asked in other threads (recently someone asked about tents, which there is already a tent thread under structures). My thought was to eliminate entirely the Newbie Questions folder and just move all the current threads to more appropriate folders. I think that because the Newbie Questions folder is the first one people see they just automatically go there and post with out taking the time to read any of the previous posts or to consider the most appropriate folder.

2. Regional Events Vs. Specific Locales Folder (i.e. Canada, U.S. Europe). - Could we eliminate the Regional Events or Eliminate the Specific Locales folders? I'm thinking they are somewhat redundant. Also, on the first page could we consolidate the Specific Locales Folder under one category rather than listing them out individually? I just think this would be easier to manage.
Chai Guy

Postby III » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:12 am

under the proposed new structure (which i *think* has blessing from tptb), all advice/questions categories would be rolled into one, and all the regional/event categories would be rolled into one.
III

Postby Chai Guy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:40 am

Cool. Also , I think we need a ticket folder. Thanks
Chai Guy

Postby III » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:04 pm

proposed new thread structure: ("==" are folders, "-" are topics)

== Black Rock City
- Announcements (Messages from the Nebulous Entities)
- Questions and Advice (For newbies and veterans alike)
- The Nature of Burning Man (Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of burning man)
== 2004
- Camps, Art & Activities (Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.)
- The Theme & The Event (What are you excited about? How was your experience?)
- Tickets (Buy and Sell)
- Share (Rides, Resources, Obtainium)
- Lost & Found. (Looking for something or someone you left behind.)
== Community
- Regional Contacts & Events (Get in touch with other burners in your area)
- General Discussion (For sharing your interests outside of burning man)
- Eplaya Feedback. (Help make these forums better)
== Archives
III

Postby Tancorix » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:03 pm

I love it, now how quickly can we get it vs. this mess we have now?
Tancorix

Postby III » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:31 pm

soonish, i hope.

btw - i don't think that this is a solution for all the misposting problems, any more than the tos & ug were solutions for other problems we'd been having. i certainly hope the benifits outwieght the drawbacks, but i'm sure there will be some of the latter, regardless of what changes are made.
III

Postby antron » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:41 pm

trey, i think that would be a great structure for the top page. there wouldn't need to be any changes in the 2003 navigation...it'd all be just one layer down--and certainly searchable.

maybe there could be a calendar for when 2004 moves down, too. say, the day tickets go on sale for 2005.
antron

Postby Alpha » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:35 pm

May I suggest that we add a ticket resale topic to the I Need / I Have area? The coming months will surely bring many posts similar to the last two, and I hate to see a new topic in the "Newbies" area every single time...
Alpha

Postby III » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:09 pm

tickets are planned to have their own area, since it's the one item for which money exchange is permitted on the eplaya. need/have will be rolled together into "share".

not sure what the timeline on this is, but i'm still hoping soon.
III

Return to ePlaya Feedback