case studies

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:50 am

III wrote:you are still off topic.

please stop.

I will stop when the lies stop. Slander is not good in any community.

This is not a matter between 2 people it is between 4 people. It needs to be cleared up now or else she and the others should leave me alone about the matter.

I have pleanty of time to hear how this matter will be fixed.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:54 am

Sorry, I meant to say time is running short for this matter to be fixed.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Tancorix » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:07 pm

I'll ignore Trey for a minute......

Tony: Legal action? Are you sure you want to go there? Can you go there?

With the spat I have with Badger and others I paid Armstrong Teasdale here in KC to go after him and others. They looked into it and partially returned my money. The reasons? Case law is very weak regarding online defamation (copyright violation is another story), a plaintiff's chance of success is pretty low, and no matter how deep the pockets are that's backing you they said this sort of case is not a wise expenditure of funds. So with that in mind have you done your homework here? If you sue them will it accomplish what you want it to? What about the fallout, can it come back and bite you in the arse? And if it does can you handle that? If you haven't considered it now is the time to do so.

Back on topic, my opinion has shifted and I'm for freezing an offending thread but not purging it. Sometimes people need reminders of what the community doesn't tolerate.

Also DM, I never answered your questions: Yes and Yes, as in DNA is not a match.
Tancorix

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:15 pm

Tancorix wrote:I'll ignore Trey for a minute......

Tony: Legal action? Are you sure you want to go there? Can you go there?

With the spat I have with Badger and others I paid Armstrong Teasdale here in KC to go after him and others. They looked into it and partially returned my money. The reasons? Case law is very weak regarding online defamation (copyright violation is another story), a plaintiff's chance of success is pretty low, and no matter how deep the pockets are that's backing you they said this sort of case is not a wise expenditure of funds. So with that in mind have you done your homework here? If you sue them will it accomplish what you want it to? What about the fallout, can it come back and bite you in the arse? And if it does can you handle that? If you haven't considered it now is the time to do so.

Back on topic, my opinion has shifted and I'm for freezing an offending thread but not purging it. Sometimes people need reminders of what the community doesn't tolerate.

Also DM, I never answered your questions: Yes and Yes, as in DNA is not a match.

As far as on topic, this is way on topic. They made me a point of topic without any say from me. Yes I have had almost 3 months to think about this and yes the attorneys I've spoken with think also that something needs to be done about anyone that slanders me in public domain.
This has already done some irrevesable damage that to a certain extent I am willing to compromise for the better of the community. After all, what good are the rules of the TOS?CG if they are not followed.
If anyone is going to accuse me of anything they better have the goods to back it up. I know I do.

So I say again, can we clear this little matter up? Put up or shut up.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:20 pm

Just so I'm making it clear, They should put up or shut up.

No offense.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby rodent » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:41 pm

Speaking of putting up or shutting up... either sue or fucking shutup about it. Your endless prattle is beginning to irritate even ME (and that takes some doing).

make a formal complaint to the admin and wait for their decision. In the mean time... let it fucking GO!

---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)
rodent

Postby Don Muerto » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:06 pm

Tony, I wonder what calibre of lawyer would advise his client on written slander.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Don Muerto

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:07 pm

Ok,

I tried to be very nice about this and I see that's not going to work.

Good luck guys.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Don Muerto » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:10 pm

Kinetic, thank you for making two simple, declarative statements regarding the situation. With so much bruised-ego bleating going on around here, the important things tend to get drowned out.
Don Muerto

Postby III » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:13 pm

>I'm for freezing an offending thread but not purging it.

i think it could even be moved to an impound area after it's frozen - get it out of genpop, but keep it around so that people can peek at it for history's sake. even if it's just beaten to death in this thread.

thanks for bringing this back to board policy, k.
III

Postby rodent » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:16 pm

On the subject of freezing and impounding threads, there is the potential that people will start offensive threads just for the "honor" of getting it frozen. Kind of a contest to out offend the offenders. Probably not a huge concern but worth thinking about.

---
rodent

Postby Don Muerto » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:19 pm

Ultimately, I would like see the impound housing neutered example threads. Only enough threads to illustrate the types, and all poster info stripped from them.

That would be ideal, IMO.
Don Muerto

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:10 pm

rodent wrote:On the subject of freezing and impounding threads, there is the potential that people will start offensive threads just for the "honor" of getting it frozen.....

If you dug through the eplaya you could find more than a few past threads that were overly personal in a negative way wrt the thread title and apparent intent, though the search engine is not well designed for finding them.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby jimbobby » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:26 pm

Put up or shut up.

you are a liar. I put up on this in the 'what do you hate...' thread. No need for me to shut up I guess.
<oh my gawd!>
jimbobby

Postby rodent » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:57 pm

jimbobby wrote:
Put up or shut up.

you are a liar. I put up on this in the 'what do you hate...' thread. No need for me to shut up I guess.

If you keep feeding the troll, he just gets larger.

Now... getting back on topic, the neutered, frozen thread idea has merrit but I'm sure there will be complaints about what get edited.
---
rodent

Postby jimbobby » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:29 pm

history has shown us that this particular variety is self sustaining. I have held my tongue way long. Now I vent. No more one way traffic.
<oh my gawd!>
jimbobby

freezer

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:13 pm

Tancorix:
Sometimes people need reminders of what the community doesn't tolerate.

only a red ripe pig-fucker would dare say such a thing within a community of acceptance and tolerance... but then again, this is e-playa. so please continue your... pick a phrase, you scumbag...

b.

Postby technopatra » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:52 am

Lord love a duck.

I just dropped in to say hello and I get to pages upon pages of poisonous circle jerking. What on earth is going on in your real lives that you need to avoid so desperately that you would spend so much time and energy repeating yourselves like this?

I repeat for emphasis:

What on earth is wrong with all of you?

I'm going to set straight what I can, then split:

1 - Tancorix/Kinetic/whatever you have continually and vastly oversated your involvement in every aspect of your "help" with this board. You gave your opinion on the CG's, you joined in, what, two phone calls, and you have been the number one whiner since I came on board. This does not a cooperative colleague make. You take the stupidest, smallest of issues and blow them way the fuck out of proportion, even when they have nothing to do with you, and get unbearably, undeservedly righteous about them. You have compassion and caring somewhere inside of you, but instead you choose to create more pain and pains in the ass than could ever be considered necessary, even here. You make me feel sorry I ever shared any personal information with you, ever.

2 - Badger/Isotopia knows exactly what he's doing at all times, and none of you need to defend him in the slightest, let alone get righteous on his behalf. You sound like Tancorix, fer chrissakes.

3 - Ripping on Emily is by far the stupidest thing any of you can do. She is the last bastion, and one of the only people left who thinks this board should even exist. If you want the Project to pull the plug - and they totally will if you scare away volunteers like Emily - like you did Precip, and me - then keep it up.

4 - Yes that's right, I quit largely because I was tired of reading the hate you are spewing. I thought that if I was just straight about it the board would turn into an even bigger turdball, but you beat me to it, so here it is.

5 - While it's nice to see the old hats, the fact is you have contributed NOTHING here is nearly a year, and to come back just to bitch about how Emily and the other remaining admins are trying to manage this totally fucking impossible group of pre-rational shit stirrers because she WANTS TO SUPPORT YOUR SORRY ASSES you should really just go the fuck back to the 3playa and stop using this place as your nearest portapotty. Don, III, Precip, I mean you guys especially, because I know for a fact that you are all cooler people than this. You've repeated your "arguments'" too many times to pretend you are still in a real conversation, so just shut the fuck up already.

I don't know why I tortured myself reading the last several pages fo this thread, which used to be such a helpful, productive thread. You have caused me actual physical pain. It's just so nice to know I wasted a year of my life trying to help this place be something good.

If any one of you had HALF the strength of your stated convictions, you'd remove yourselves from the board permanently.

Here, I'll show you how it's done.
technopatra

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:07 am

Ok,

I’m going to do my best to put a positive spin on this. As I write this I’m hoping that there is at least someone that will Post something more positive than what I am about to say. By that, I mean,
I could have said “shit! TP is pissed She is really pissed”
I didn’t say it but if you could just give me a chance and cybethink it out loud for a moment........ (everyone is or should be thinking this anyway.)

Then I try to make some kind of happy/funny moment out of it just so I can make my point for a very short moment. (Plus I really don’t want too much gloom on eplaya despite the fact):

On the lighter side of things….. is tonight a full moon?
Last time I made mention of this fact, it (eplaya.) got crazy then too.

Let me get straight to the point;

There is something going on with eplaya that is very special. A lot of people feel it. Some are having a hard time adjusting to it, some see it and others just don’t know how to deal with it.
My theory why this is,
the most awesome bad asses, ( and yes, I may be kind of kissing ass here but from what I’ve seen, there are some awesome people with the webteam that are doing, not trying, to make eplaya the most awesome thing on the planet. TP did, Emily is Spanky is RA is Dana is and so many others.)
I don’t know how many of you in this thread have seen this team in action over the past 1.5 years, But I have, in as many ways that I could via email in person, IRC, chat, websites, speaking with the engineering team…
And they are the most, utmost primo in their field that I have ever seen. It is refreshing.

How do I know what I am talking about?

I am the luckiest man on the planet. (IMHO) I was lucky enough to be around all of what everyone uses now at its core in the beginning of this cyber revolution. From Dec tops 10-20, pdp vax 1170 series to the IBM 360-80, through c/pm to IBM Dos and IBM os2 to Xerox parc to Mac/Apple to NeXT to windows to Irix to solaris to..... on and on and on.....it really doesn't matter. I was lucky and was in the right place at the right time for this stuff.
This may not mean much to most but I have to say, I am privileged to know this webteam. They have IMHO put together the start of a new presents (sp) on the internet. (If you only knew what was running under the hood and how it works.)
The people that put this new eplaya together really put their burning soul into it trying to take in account everything (well almost) everything that could possibly go wrong except, they could not imagine anything like this.
They really couldn’t.
They took the most important things that they thought would be priority and did a redundant backup to make sure everything would be fine.
They are truly awesome. Ok sure it's not as perfect as some on the board would like to have it but they try to accommodate as best they can in the limited amount of time that they have before they have to take care of something else.
All I’m trying to say I guess is that,
the eplaya webteam/BM webteam comes to eplaya (this message board. ) to interact with this attempt of a community less than TP does and she is pissed. (she is no where’s here on this board as much as many others including myself. But I do have a reason for being here.)

I really don’t want to know what the webteam thinks.

I don’t know about anyone else but I really want to be a part of this special aura feel felt known as eplaya.
Heck I feel it everyday.
Something awesome has to come out of this. Too much work has gone into it not to.
I just refuse to believe eplaya cant or is not it.

As in really, really it.

(This comming from a hippie.)

I trust TP's judgment about Badger. If she says so then it must be.
So I tried.
I'm willing to try again.
Does it need to be so nasty in the process?
With everyone?

It would be nice if some would understand this point. Not in a bad way from me, just to say "hey, what are you talking about" when I try to make a point in a haphazard way only because I am really working at the same time as I am typing this as usual as does Emily, that really doesn’t have time for this as does Spanky and Ra, who most definitely, don’t have time for this because they are all busy. Mostly spending a lot of time besides working in their real life, working also for eplaya the community board. ( that is what is says on the burningman website and eplaya message board right? I could be wrong.)

I want to help and sure anyone can say I (DVD) am a big part of the problem but I'm doing my best to interact with this comunity and make a point of things that I feel will be an issue I forsee down the road as a potential problem. not just for me but maybe other newbies or whatever. Sorry,
if I see something wrong I try to do what I can to fix it, and maybe it may not be the best way in some eyes....

Can we be adult like about it and come up with some kind of solution?

I am truely not looking to get flamed for saying/doing this.

Just trying to be as honest the best way that I can.

I cant proof read this any more.
Make of what I post as you will. It really is the best that I can do.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Badger / Isotopia

Postby emily sparkle » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:55 am

The accounts of Badger and Isotopia will remain suspended for an additional week as a result of his 'hacking' into the Isotopia account to post while his accounts were suspended.
:) emily sparkle
eplaya administrator
___

mobilize, energize, motivate, INSPIRE ordinary people to do things to improve their quality of life.
- nobel peace prize winner, wangari maathai
emily sparkle

Postby Tancorix » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:17 am

Technopatra, that was a wildly inaccurate and deeply revealing post. The best way to respond to such a charged statement is to wave goodbye and wish you the best of luck with your new position. I hope it works out for you.

Back on topic, Emily, could you define what you meant by "hacking"? I know technically you don't have to explain every decision the admins make but another week's suspension is kinda harsh, IMHO. I'm curious what prompted this and I'm sure a few others are too.
Tancorix

Postby Don Muerto » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:17 am

TP, if you read this, then you know that I think the world of you and am sorry for my part in whatever pain you are feeling. Much of what you say is spot-on, and even that which I disagree with is taken to heart by someone who considers you a friend.

Emily, I never tried to insult you or your performance here, but if you took it that way please accept my apology for it. No volunteer deserves a plateful of crap for trying to do the thankless job of moderation. I think your exasperation came through as haughty, high-handedness, and people ran away with it.

In the interest of avoiding future problems akin to the Badger/Tancorix thing, more than rehashing the particulars or assigning blame, I would appreciate having your answers/views to those questions I asked. I think most people realize that the spirit of the rule is more important than the letter, but since eplaya has a *written* CG/TOS the letter has been made important. Having a reasoned discussion about what constitutes inappropriate posts and the mechanisms for flagging them would be valuable. I strongly encourage the collective eplaya and it's admins to think about the questions and their ramifications. They seem important to me.
Don Muerto

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:58 am

I guess this might qualify as a case study:

The eplaya team, whomever they are, might consider posting summaries of their meeting notes in an eplaya feedback thread if they wish more productive eplaya feedback. I've seen a meeting announcement posted elsewhere, and an eplaya summit thread in the free-for-all General Discussion forum, but this seems more appropriate for the eplaya feedback forum.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Badger / Isotopia

Postby spectabillis » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:12 pm

[quote="emily sparkle"]Badger and Isotopia will remain suspended for an additional week quote]

thanks for the update Emily
spectabillis

i say...

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:25 pm

spectabillis:
emily sparkle wrote:Badger and Isotopia will remain suspended for an additional week quote]

i agree with spectaballis and emily (whoever she is) - we should just enforce our ideas of community standards on these bastards! how dare they violate what we think is in the best interest of the group! damn them! damn them to hell!! TO HELL!!!

i'm interested in a poll (of like minded burners, and you know who you are;) to see if perhaps it would be best to simply OFF these offenders of community standards... i don't mean KILL them, but i don't mean baking them cookies either (wink wink).

yes, i'm feeling better all ready. i love the e-playa. it really feels like the real playa, but with an E, and everyone knows what everyone should know - less they be unlike me in their interpretation of community standarrds!!! damn them!!! kill them!!!! no no no... i would never suggest such a thing.

really... i like burningman. i think it's a really great place, and people are nice. and i like all the glitter and funny costumes. i can't wait for next year (i mean, this year). whatever it is, it's going to be the BEST YEAR EVER!!! and all those silly cars are so funny, and cute.

i love you all.

B.

the outter inner side of what we all know is truth

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:55 pm

Tancorix:
I'm a kind of magical person who knows what is best for the community. I think you should all listen to be, or else you're dumb.

That's a very revealing statement. I'm right with you! I'm wondering how we can take this thing and move it forward. I'm on your side.

B!

Postby Tancorix » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:11 pm

Sorry Bronco but that's not my quote.
Tancorix

Postby jimbobby » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:20 pm

but this is

Well, as the old saying goes, thank God and Greyhound she's gone. I hate ripping on people but here's a notable exception. This fucking bitch was one of the laziest, biased, admins I've ever run into.

:D
<oh my gawd!>
jimbobby

Postby spectabillis » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:32 pm

I would strongly suggest reading the very beginning to understand the intention of this thread.

One of the things about this board is a certain appreciation and respect to the thread/topics creator and its intention.

III and the admins have both agreed that personal comments and 'jabs' were not to be part of it, and basically is 'thread drift.'

Not trying to be a comment Nazi, but this thread continues to be inflamatory and is running the risk of being locked.
spectabillis

Postby geekster » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:47 pm

I agree. If this thread is to serve any purpose at all, it needs to remain civil. I understand that people can have strong opinions, but there is no useful purpose in dredging up comments from the past to toss into here unless your sole purpose is to sling crap.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests