Thread Ownership

We're doing it wrong...we know

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:43 am

Late addition to (L)user Guidelines:

All eplaya logins must pass through the Goat Oracle.

GIGO.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

STOP

Postby admin » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:38 am

Take it back to General Discussion, kids. Don't make me get all tough with you.

~technopatra~
admin
Site Admin

Re: STOP

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:57 am

admin wrote:Take it back to General Discussion, kids. Don't make me get all tough with you.

~technopatra~

Your still awsome. Never foget that. :wink:

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:33 pm

My point: How can I, as a user, tell the difference between the login identity "DVD Burner", "Red-Assed Baboon", "Blue-Assed Baboon", etc.? May as well give out random letter & number sequences when people log in for the first time and again when they wish to create multiple and similarly fake identities to abuse the good graces of this free forum. It should be obvious that on the current eplaya the free abilility to change identities and maintain multiple identities at best fosters a noncommittal chat-room atmosphere, and at worst enables a really hideous form of pranking and counter-pranking.

Sure, it's customary at Burning Man to use nicknames -- one, usually. The eplaya has become the kind of Halloween party you want to leave, and quickly. While I'd prefer the kind of standards newspapers use for Letters to the Editor, I can accept at least giving people relevant guidelines on the proper use (if there is any) of anonymity.

I'm only one small person, though -- I'd of course open the discussion up to the pranksters, in terms of justifying themselves and their love for the eplaya.

Bob

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:50 pm

Bob wrote:My point: How can I, as a user, tell the difference between the login identity "DVD Burner", "Red-Assed Baboon", "Blue-Assed Baboon", etc.? May as well give out random letter & number sequences when people log in for the first time and again when they wish to create multiple and similarly fake identities to abuse the good graces of this free forum. It should be obvious that on the current eplaya the free abilility to change identities and maintain multiple identities at best fosters a noncommittal chat-room atmosphere, and at worst enables a really hideous form of pranking and counter-pranking.

Believe it or not there is a mod to control/curb that sort of thing.
this is just something that should be looked at later then implemented accordingly. that of course IMHO.

I can understand how Bob can be rather jealous of how well I manage to stay within the rules

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:35 pm

DVD Burner wrote:...I can understand how Bob can be rather jealous of how well I manage to stay within the rules

And if I said you were perhaps among the least of all eplaya evils, I still wouldn't know who the hell I was talking about.

Bob

Postby admin » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:45 am

Bob wrote:Sure, it's customary at Burning Man to use nicknames -- one, usually. The eplaya has become the kind of Halloween party you want to leave, and quickly. While I'd prefer the kind of standards newspapers use for Letters to the Editor, I can accept at least giving people relevant guidelines on the proper use (if there is any) of anonymity.

The system only allows one username per email address, but that's about the most we can do in terms of limiting multiple identies. We did state that we discourage the use of multiple identities in the Community Guidelines. (see link in footer)
admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to ePlaya Feedback