Water?

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Water?

Postby fimjox » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:24 pm

Water has to be available either for sale or for free. I know the policy is to be self sustained, but many, many people don't have a camp or car. They get there by Internet rideshare, fly into Reno, hitchhike, get a ride with friends, etc... They can't be carrying 5 gallons of water.

You used to sell water for $1 a gallon It has been about 5 years since I have been and I guess now you have stopped. If you can sell ice (not nearly as a necessity as water) you can sell water. I saw a camp with a sign that said We Need Water.

It is not asking much to provide the basic basics for people. Dehydration is a major problem and the scarcity of water contributes. I asked at a Medic Station for a glass of water and was refused becuase they didn't have too much and what they had they needed for their patients. It is embarrassing to ask a camp for a quart of water.
fimjox

Postby Dork » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:36 pm

5 gallons? Are you only going for the last few days?

If you can arrange a ride for you and your gear, you can arrange room for 5-20 gallons of water. Ice is sold because it's difficult to maintain for a full week. If there weren't ice sales you'd have a lot more people having to bring things like propane fridges and extra coolers filled with ice and dry ice. Many more people would be coming and going during the week to re-stock. With water, you can just bring it all in the beginning.

I've been going since 2001 and have never seen water for sale in any obvious way. I did see a lot of "potable water" trucks roaming around, which I suppose could have been there to refill RV tanks and such. If you really have no way to bring in water you can always buy ice and allow it to melt.
Dork

Return to Feature Requests