Why we should care about our Dot-Ru visitors and the stuff

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Why we should care about our Dot-Ru visitors and the stuff

Postby Bin Noddin » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:54 pm

they plant here.
From Washington Post, 1-20-06:

http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/01/account_hijacki.html
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby spectabillis » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:35 pm

claimed responsibility for the break-in, which it said was made possible due to a series of Javascript security flaws in the LiveJournal site.

Yep, its a valid concern. But LiveJournal's situation does not specifically apply - its mostly javascript, and it was targeted with that much effort because of its mongo user base. This board usually does not get that kind of visability, and its phpbb based.
spectabillis

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:07 pm

Interesting. Thanks for the post. I think Technopatra has an account there.

Security is a big issue with me. I wish the IT at the org would switch over to IPV6 and do it soon.

In fact, if the org wants to continue with inhouse ticket sales, I would strongly urge the ORG IT to turn it on.

In fact I would suggest it to everyone.

IPV6 is tough to figure out for most hackers.

It's not hard to turn on though. :wink:

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby spectabillis » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:31 pm

DVD Burner wrote:... I wish the IT at the org would switch over to IPV6 and do it soon. In fact, if the org wants to continue with inhouse ticket sales, I would strongly urge the ORG IT to turn it on....

What has this to do with the current board spamming problem?

Please keep the drift low on board feedback topics.
spectabillis

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:44 pm

spectabillis wrote:
DVD Burner wrote:... I wish the IT at the org would switch over to IPV6 and do it soon. In fact, if the org wants to continue with inhouse ticket sales, I would strongly urge the ORG IT to turn it on....

What has this to do with the current board spamming problem?

Please keep the drift low on board feedback topics.

If you don’t understand what IPV6 is then please do not assume I post thread drift.

If you do not know what IPV6 is then please do some research on it.

Then say, if you have proof, that I am "thread drifting". If you cannot find info on IPV6 then ask me with the respect I have just shown you and I will be more then happy to accommodate you with what I know.

I understand moderators feel that they have unlimited privileges but as I have posted many times recently. I am only here . to relax and have a good time with my fellow
Eplayans

I do not violate any TOS or community guidelines.

Intelligent debate is one of many things I seek on eplaya.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby spectabillis » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:14 pm

Yes, I know what IPv6 is. But since much of the equiptment is in the co-location facility to use it effectively would require their support and the support of the connection providers. To address the current spamming problem - the current approach to solving that is the installation of phpbb mods that were identified by a user willing to do research and make recommendations.

If you are here to relax, great, you might want to take that approach vs. being defensive and keep the drift low. If you are thinking my request is inappropriate then please, you are encouraged to make the case in the case studies thread.

Board feedback is kept clear of off-topics and personal arguments to ensure we can keep track of important board issues.
spectabillis

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:14 pm

I should clarify that my definition of "relaxation" is "mental stimulation". Which, YES, I do get on eplaya.

IMHO!

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:47 pm

spectabillis wrote:Yes, I know what IPv6 is. But since much of the equiptment is in the co-location facility to use it effectively would require their support and the support of the connection providers. To address the current spamming problem - the current approach to solving that is the installation of phpbb mods that were identified by a user willing to do research and make recommendations..

If you did understand what IPV6 was all about you would know that it takes less than 60 seconds to set up. I tell all of my clients to turn it on. It is the current industry standard. Burningman has always been on the bleeding edge but this is something so simple that it would be wise to use and something that would help the ticket team and eplaya and the ORG websites and their communications internally and externally immensely.

spectabillis wrote:If you are here to relax, great, you might want to take that approach vs. being defensive and keep the drift low. If you are thinking my request is inappropriate then please, you are encouraged to make the case in the case studies thread..

DUDE-OLA,

I am not on the defensive. You are. I am being as nice as I can to tell you the truth of the matter. Accept it or not, I still know what I am talking about. You are creating drift because you are not giving any indication that you understand what I am talking about thus calling what I post "thread drift".

There is no use for me to go to the "case studies" thread if you (and many others.) dont get it on this thread or that thread.
I am doing my best to make what I post as simple as possible.

spectabillis wrote:Board feedback is kept clear of off-topics and personal arguments to ensure we can keep track of important board issues.

you dont see me starting an argument. I am only offering SUGGESTIONS. As I have always stated here on eplaya, Tribe, and the webteam list and other communitiy boards.

Offense is the best defense I've been told.

:lol:

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

ui

Postby spectabillis » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:04 pm

[quote="DVD Burner... something so simple that it would be wise and something that would help the ticket team and eplaya and the ORG websites and their communications internally and externally immensely.[/quote]

What you are discussing is the transport of the communications which does not concern the operations of the board. Board feedback is kept for things about the board. Since there are no features of migrating to IPv6 that could or would change the operations of this board, please understand this.

Really, everytime you comment here with your replies we get notified and takes our time from getting to other things. I am continuing to ask politely to quit. If you dont accept my response, for whatever reasons, then PM spanky - dont reply here.
spectabillis

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:04 pm

Oh and dude,

I'm havin a few beers and shots after this.

If I dont answer then it means I'm out havin a blast and have not a care in the world because I deserve it because all the work that I have done has payed off and my clients have no complaints. They just want me to hook them up with more of what I have to offer.

But it's friday and they know I am not available on the weekends. (sometimes on mondays also.)

Ciao!

maybe I'll post over the weekend but................Hey.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:18 pm

Dude just accused me of threatening him in a PM.

Is this what BM is all about?

spectabillis wrote:You want to explain why that sounds like some sort of threat?

DVD Burner wrote:Absolutly not.

There was nothing threatening there in my last post.

Dude you are a waste of my time now.

Go grow up somewhere.

Dont PM me this weekend. You are sounding stupid.

BYE!.

there is one PM (the initial PM to me.) that he sent before I'm posting this. I'll let him send it.

What up wit dat?

Dont PM me with this negative stuff.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby spectabillis » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:24 pm

You gotta be kidding me?

I just sent you a PM asking for clarification, and you say you are not being defensive?

*sigh*
spectabillis

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:25 pm

You know....

why is it that these kiddies have to pull the " oooooh mommy, “he threatened me" bullshit when all I do is tell them the truth?

Time for me o go and party.

Have an awesome time this weekend fellow eplayans.

I know I will. Love ya all.

Tony-

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby spectabillis » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:27 pm

Yep, I suggest you take a breather.
spectabillis

Postby Kinetic IV » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:29 pm

The more some things change the more others stay the same.

Instead of devoting all this energy here there's a long list of Russian sock puppet accounts that need to be documented. Do I have to go through the list by myself? As for the proposed fix I don't understand what IPv6 is truly going to offer in terms of fixing this...I think Spanky's on the right track with what's already been suggested. Not that my opinion means anything but it's a free board, you got it anyway.
Kinetic IV

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:33 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:The more some things change the more others stay the same.

Instead of devoting all this energy here there's a long list of Russian sock puppet accounts that need to be documented. Do I have to go through the list by myself? As for the proposed fix I don't understand what IPv6 is truly going to offer in terms of fixing this...I think Spanky's on the right track with what's already been suggested. Not that my opinion means anything but it's a free board, you got it anyway.

Uuuummmm......Ok,

I can go with that. I gotta get outta here.

See you guys later.

Love you!

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby spectabillis » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:53 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:As for the proposed fix I don't understand what IPv6 is truly going to offer in terms of fixing this...

It doesn't, but try convincing that to others is not always easy.

To try to bring this further back on track about the board, this just adds another reason its so difficult to get a good resource to volunteer. Similar to the ticket problem: you have people who want someoneto point to direct frustration and agression, others who think their way is the best no matter what, disagreement on what to do, people just being assholes ... etc.

Its one of the biggest problems, things could actually get done if I could bring the right people on board. Of course if you try to point out these things to people you see how it quickly degrades into something personal. I cant keep these things clear from board feedback, and the people I try to enroll in helping come here to get info and see it.

Seriously, its a no win situation. Some people cant help themselves and ruin it for everyone. The only fix I see is to start banning certain people from being able to post here and I want to avoid that.
spectabillis

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:24 am

Amazing.

2 years ago a very prominent friend of mine and I suggested the ORG try using VOIP for long distance communications and for the webteam.

They said the same type of thing. "What is VOIP going to do for us?" is what they said to us.
2 years later they decide to start using Skype. :shock:

So I say " you guys should create your own SIP server. It would save you and everyone lots of money." They tell me "we just do not have the resources and just don’t have the people to maintain something like that". Now there are people on the webteam that emailed them also saying that you don’t need to maintain anything. That there are free programs that work really well.
I I tell them that Skype has serious security flaws. They tell me, "oh it's ok. Skype just sent new updates. It's going to be fine."

UUUmmm, what happens? Sure enough, not too long ago a new problem pops up with skype: http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=843

Ban me for telling the truth about the matter but I think Burners should know.

when people offer some knowledge of things, it may be in the ORG's best interest to at least listen.
Do a little research instead of attacking the messenger.

But hey, like I said on another thread, it may take 2-3 years before these guys get it. It usually does.

Now,

you can ban me if you like. 8)

Peace.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby spectabillis » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:22 pm

Please, keep this to the board, whatever your other issues are you can contact someone - only person I know is spanky - no one else can help you here.

But since you used to be part of the etf volunteer team you already know this, so you are using this forum to try and push some personal adgenda. What it is I dont know, but you are making it very difficult for everyone else on this board and it would be greatly appreciated if you would stop.
spectabillis

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:31 pm

Whatever.

Have a nice day.

Another 2-3 years guaranteed.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

replying in the ePlaya Feedback sections

Postby spectabillis » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:10 pm

viewtopic.php?p=199728&highlight=#199728 - why do you keep replying with off-topic comments when you have been asked, many times and politely, not to? since you dont seem to be listening to me or anyone else, you are running the risk of being blocked from the ePlaya Feedback section.
spectabillis

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:17 pm

So anyhoo,

For those that are interested. This is in relation to the article at hand that Bin Noddin posted:

IPv6: World's Largest Technology Upgrade On Deck

IPv6, the latest version of the Internet Protocol, expands the address space, and offers improved security, quality of service, digital rights management and mobile communications features.

By Laurie Sullivan
TechWeb News

Jan 9, 2006 01:59 PM

Bugs, spam, viruses, software security issues, quality of service and more have spurred experts to push for commercial deployment and government reform on Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6).
A panel battled the topic of when companies should deploy IPv6 and where the technology will make the greatest impact. The discussion took place at the 2006 International Consumer Electronics show in Las Vegas last week. In the end, the four panelists agreed to disagree. But all said companies should examine methods to ease future deployments, such as planning a transition and making certain future hardware and software purchases are IPv6 ready.
IPv6, the latest version of Internet Protocol, provides more IP addresses than today's version 4. It supports auto-configuration to help correct most shortcomings in the current version, and has security, quality of service, digital rights management and mobile communications features.
The debate has heated up in the U.S. now that Asian countries are mandating adoption where IP addresses are in short supply. "Let me reiterate how pathetic we are in the U.S.," said Alex Lightman, chief executive and president for IPv6 Summit Inc. "In the U.S., we have between 1,000 to 2,000 IPv6 users, whereas Japan has between 200,000 and 500,000."
The Japanese government estimates the move to IPv6 will create a $1.55 trillion technology market by 2010. Lightman said the U.S. Department of Defense has mandated IPv6, but they've yet to build a network. Rex Wong, chief executive at DAVETV, which delivers Internet-protocol television (IPTV) content to mobile devices, PCs and televisions, believes there are "too many regulations and competitors in the U.S.," slowing adoption.
The U.S. government and the Department of Defense, two of IPv6's strongest proponents, are estimated to spend billions to make the transition happen. The White House Office of Management and Budget has directed U.S. federal agencies to develop IPv6 transition plans by February and requires that agencies comply with the mandate by June 2008."I predict the U.S. government won't use or accept IPv4 packets after 2017," Lightman said.
Momentum is increasing in the U.S. Experts believe the lack of IPv4 addresses in an "always on" connected world has prompted concern. In some industries the deficiency has begun to show. "Telecommunication carriers periodically check to see if you're done using the dynamic address they loan you when making a call," Lightman asked. "The dirty little secret is carriers take the address back when they need it even if it ends the call, leaving you to think it’s a bad cell zone."
Approximately 200 companies have requested a block of IPv6 addresses. Lightman, who expected everything from electronics in apparel to radio frequency identification technology to become IPv6-enabled, said only a dozen devices from various vendors such as Cisco System Inc., Juniper Networks Inc. and Panasonic are IPv6-ready.
Two technologies that slowed the need for more IP addresses were Network Address Translation (NAT), which translates IP addresses and lets large companies use one IP address to connect many devices, and Name Based Virtual Hosting, which allows multiple DNS names to function off the same IP address.
Recent surges in the use of mobile IP, IP telephony, IPTV and related technologies are creating a strong demand for the next-generation protocol. The CES panelist agreed IPv6 will make the biggest impact in IPTV by delivering low cost video transmission and quality of service (QoS). Set-top box shipment will reach 56 million units by 2009, estimates Christine Arrington, principal and senior analyst at Acacia Research Group.
But a transition to IPv6 from IPv4 means rewriting applications and installing new hardware. It puts security into question, too, since few firewalls and intrusion detection systems are v6 compliant. IPv6 will enable several security features, such as authentication, encryption, and an inability to "spoof or pretend to be another IP address like you can in IPv4," said Sinead O'Donovan, product unit manager for Windows Networking at Microsoft.
When Microsoft releases its Vista operating systems later this year it will be IPv6-enabled out of the box, O'Donovan said. "Windows Vista will support IPv6 throughout the product where there are 14,000 components from Web server to browser," she said. "About 180 million PCs are shipped annually with the Windows operating system."
Most operating systems are enabled. Windows requires a service pack II upgrade by manually installing the feature. Microsoft's OS for mobile devices won't ship for another year. But Lightman said Symbian OS and Palm 6.0 are ready.
Security experts believe there are no known vulnerabilities in IPv6 that aren't already possible in IPv4. "We expect vulnerabilities in transition and tunneling protocols during the migration from IPv4 to IPv6," said Cory Benninger, CISSP Security Consultant at Foundstone Professional Services, a Division of McAfee, in an e-mail to TechWeb. "The IPv6 platform's immaturity is the largest vulnerability."
Implementation flaws in IPv6 have already hit a number of software vendors. Benninger provided a sample list: Cisco IOS IPv6 denial-of-service vulnerability, Linux Kernel IPv6 Denial of Service Vulnerability and Windows (XP, 2k3, Longhorn) is vulnerable to IPv6 Land attack.
IPv6 isn't backward compatible with IPv4. Lightman said transition will require encapsulation, tunneling or dual-stack routing where both protocols run simultaneously for awhile. O'Donovan said Microsoft Vista will be dual-stack.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:09 pm

So UUUMMMM yeah like,

For those eplayans that this IPV6 thingie thing seems to maybe have peaked your interest, here is something you can experiment with:

http://www.conferencexp.net/community/D ... =1&tabid=3

IPV6 is high def ready. That's right HIGH DEFINITION READY.

All the crashes that happen year after year at the burn, this thing really works.

You can also can put security on who watches your stream

Yes this is the Microsoft's version of IPV6 but all current OS's are IPV6 ready. (old OS's are also IPV6 ready but that is another debate.)

Have fun ya'll and know that I love you all.

Have a lovely weekend.

Tony-

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:13 pm

BTW this is not commerce, IT'S FREE.

No selling anything is involved.

I have no idea how long this all will be free.

Also, check out "MASH" for IPV6. I myself do a Google alert on IPV6. It keeps me up to date.

Peace.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:19 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot the IPV6 of the post part.

http://www.conferencexp.net/community/D ... &tabid=126

If anyone wants the directions for the MAC or LINUX installs let me know and I will post it.

Have fun.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Kinetic IV » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:41 pm

DVD, specifically how will turning on IPv6 help Spanky and the admin team stop the Russian script kiddies from exploiting what appears to be a phpBB problem ? My take on this having run a private board on servers that did have IPv6 enabled, it took patches and some good old fashioned admin account ass kicking to get the problem under control. From a technical angle I just don't see where enabling IPv6 is going to solve this problem. Now it will certainly help in other aspects...but how will it help with the problem at hand....which is the topic of this thread? I'm not trying to be mean spirited, negative, etc, I'm simply trying to understand where you're coming from on a tachnical angle.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:51 pm

I know you are not trying to be mean spirited.

Did you read the article?

i think it is all there, but I will post other info to make it more clear if it is not ( and it seems like it is not. )
as soon as I can get it all together.

It's saturday and I am partying.

But as always I will deliver.

I hope you trust that much of me.

Tony-

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:53 pm

P.S. you have to try IPV6 to get a somewhat understandin of what it is about.

Very hard to explain.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Kinetic IV » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:57 pm

I'm already running it. I read up about it the first time you posted a reference to it and I enabled it on everything I could get my hands on.

I keep seeing this as a phpBB issue and maybe I'm getting tunnel vision which is blocking out other potential fixes. I'll step back and rethink this.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:01 pm

Thanks.

Love you dude.

:wink:

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Next

Return to Feature Requests