Scream if you received a STEP ticket

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Scream if you received a STEP ticket

Postby Capn Crunch » Fri May 02, 2014 10:53 am

smiffman wrote:
branka wrote:I am screeeeeeeeeeeeeeaming!

I just bought two tickets through STEP. I register at an unspecified moment in time in the first 20 minutes. (It is hard to say with compulsive clicking and then seeing that I am signed up after the page reloaded).

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!

:)

Nice, congrats. I did the same as you in about that same time span maybe 5 min longer. Just throwing it out there for the stat peeps, even though there is no way to tell.

Definitely nice to hear. For every person that gets one, it makes anyone that doesn't -- that much closer! So, Did you end up getting one as well? I
"Forget honesty, forget creativity, the dumbest buy the mostest." - Dead Kennedys, MTV Get Off The Air
Capn Crunch

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby Sahara25 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:44 am

I was screaming out so loud on my way to class today when my friend called. WE GOT 2 TICKETS!!!
I am so overwhelmed right now, I can't really believe it :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

See ya all there!!!

I just can't stop smiling :D :D :D :D :D :D
Sahara25

Burning Since: 2014

Postby smiffman » Wed May 07, 2014 4:59 am

Capn Crunch wrote:
smiffman wrote:
branka wrote:I am screeeeeeeeeeeeeeaming!

I just bought two tickets through STEP. I register at an unspecified moment in time in the first 20 minutes. (It is hard to say with compulsive clicking and then seeing that I am signed up after the page reloaded).

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!

:)

Nice, congrats. I did the same as you in about that same time span maybe 5 min longer. Just throwing it out there for the stat peeps, even though there is no way to tell.

Definitely nice to hear. For every person that gets one, it makes anyone that doesn't -- that much closer! So, Did you end up getting one as well? I

I have not received any ticket emails in my inbox/spam folders, I am eagerly awaiting.
smiffman

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Capn Crunch » Wed May 07, 2014 9:42 am

I have not received any ticket emails in my inbox/spam folders, I am eagerly awaiting.[/quote]

Have faith... from the sounds of it they are slowly working their way through. 8)
"Forget honesty, forget creativity, the dumbest buy the mostest." - Dead Kennedys, MTV Get Off The Air
Capn Crunch

Postby tatonka » Thu May 08, 2014 8:19 pm

Got notice that there is one ticket and one parking pass, so I tried to buy them but ticketfly keeps haveing problems and they say they are having a server error
:( guess I have 60 some hours to get thru :)
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby burner von braun » Thu May 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Good Luck tatonka, and let us know if you need help!
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Postby tatonka » Thu May 08, 2014 8:40 pm

will do , really dont have enough cash to go this year , so im wondering if its trying to tell me something :) But ill keep at it .

tatonka

Postby tatonka » Thu May 08, 2014 8:47 pm

Alright got in and got the parking pass and one ticket , now I need a ticket for my friend. He's signed up also , I tried to sign up for 2 but it only is giveing chance for one :(

So need one ticket for my buddy , or Ill will come alone :(

tatonka

Postby Capn Crunch » Thu May 08, 2014 11:18 pm

tatonka wrote:Alright got in and got the parking pass and one ticket , now I need a ticket for my friend. He's signed up also , I tried to sign up for 2 but it only is giveing chance for one :(

Glad to hear it Tatonka!! I was honestly hoping one would come by you way... The wait is torturous. :lol:
Capn Crunch

Postby tatonka » Thu May 08, 2014 11:50 pm

Capn Crunch wrote:
tatonka wrote:Alright got in and got the parking pass and one ticket , now I need a ticket for my friend. He's signed up also , I tried to sign up for 2 but it only is giveing chance for one :(

Glad to hear it Tatonka!! I was honestly hoping one would come by you way... The wait is torturous. :lol:

Im glad it worked out , need to start saving some money. :)

tatonka

Postby pink » Fri May 09, 2014 1:54 am

Yay for Tatonka! Hey some years I've made it up there by cashing in my cans & bottles I save to get gas. They're my emergency fund. You've burned once, so you've got the gear, don't have to do anything fancy. Hope a ticket for your friend comes through soon.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby tatonka » Fri May 09, 2014 8:39 am

thks Pink , just checked my change bucket and have 130.00 in it :) small steps

tatonka

Postby Ratty » Fri May 09, 2014 8:48 am

And once you get to the burn you can work some 4 hour shifts in the cafe. They have a pooled tip system. Viola! gas money.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby tatonka » Fri May 09, 2014 12:15 pm

How do you sign up for that ?

tatonka

Postby tatonka » Fri May 09, 2014 12:23 pm

I was signing up to get ticket and they kept have server error's , so I kept at it till it went thru. Today there was 3 charges for -458.00 on my account , but looking down further there was also 2 refunds ,whew.

tatonka

Postby Capn Crunch » Fri May 09, 2014 12:39 pm

tatonka wrote:I was signing up to get ticket and they kept have server error's , so I kept at it till it went thru. Today there was 3 charges for -458.00 on my account , but looking down further there was also 2 refunds ,whew.

Phew! Glad that is all sorted (would have been quite the expense). :lol:
Capn Crunch

Postby RosieTahoe » Fri May 09, 2014 2:03 pm

I'm so happy for everyone that's gotten a ticket, I can't wait to see all you snarky eplayans out in the dust, hey maybe I'll actually make it to the eplaya meet and greet this year (virgin year last year and I didn't make it to anything I had planned, OF COURSE ;) Anyway, I completely understand that this year isn't last year and there is no way to know how many or how quickly people signed up for STEP... but... Do any of you know of any burners who signed up for STEP during the first day of registration last year that didn't eventually receive a ticket?
We have two tickets between my husband, my brother, and myself and are waiting for one more through STEP. We are lucky enough to live in Tahoe but my brother is flying out from NY (already has his flight booked) so it is crucial we locate one more ticket some way some how before the burn. Usually, there is a flood of tickets on craigslist or through friends of friends locally in the week before the burn and I know there's the OMG sale in August as well but it would be much less stressful if something came through before then. Any thoughts on how it went last year? - again, I KNOW last year is not this year, just trying to get some anecdotal evidence!
RosieTahoe

Postby Eric » Fri May 09, 2014 3:40 pm

RosieTahoe wrote:Do any of you know of any burners who signed up for STEP during the first day of registration last year that didn't eventually receive a ticket?

Nope. That information was never released, so any guesses are speculation. Even if we find someone who did register on the first day and somehow didn't receive a ticket, there would be absolutely no way to know if they were the only person from that batch not to get one, or one of hundred.

Do not put all your ticket hopes in the STEP basket - be proactive and use all your other Burner resources.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Capn Crunch » Fri May 09, 2014 4:07 pm

RosieTahoe wrote: Any thoughts on how it went last year? - again, I KNOW last year is not this year, just trying to get some anecdotal evidence!

The real question is... with how bad the servers got hit at 12:00 (when STEP opened), how many people do you think it took to take the site down, repeatedly? By 12:30... probably somewhere in the Thousands? Speculation, entirely.... But, when you consider that tickets sold out within 45min of opening day, which was in the tens of thousands, then it becomes obvious to not let STEP by your high priority when obtaining a ticket.

Just wait till tickets are sent out, and plan on buying third-party. :wink:

p.s. also in previous years, BLM opened up more tickets throughout the year, which BM pushed those into STEP... Not saying that wont happen this year, but it's a good possibility that it will not.
Capn Crunch

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 09, 2014 4:29 pm

Capn Crunch wrote:p.s. also in previous years, BLM opened up more tickets throughout the year, which BM pushed those into STEP... Not saying that wont happen this year, but it's a good possibility that it will not.

Do NOT count on any more tickets. Remember there was that thing where they were only letting new people on the playa if other people were getting off it.

Or maybe that was rumor.

Or maybe I just made it up.

Or maybe I'm gaming the system.

The brits have (or maybe had, I picked up from reading and not especially current books, either) a saying "Some people are so sharp, they'll cut themselves." I think that in this case that might apply.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby fernley1 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:07 pm

Way to go Tatonka, glad you got 1ticket.
Hope your friend gets one too.
Last year, a fellow camper worked at the center cafe coffee shop for 2 4 hour shifts and made pretty good money.
She just went there and volunteered and they put her to work.
She said it was fun.
fernley1

Postby unjonharley » Fri May 09, 2014 5:13 pm

re: fishys post.. That is another thing that killed Oregon Country Fair.. City busses bringing looky lou's.. So many they to count exit head to let more in.. Oregon Country started out in a swamp (dry in summer).. Land owned by The Greatful Dead..I went to see Jerry in later years.. But the bastard had a heart attack.. The next time he fucking died.. I attended the fair for 25 years.. Will be sorry to see Burning Man go down e same trail..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby Eric » Fri May 09, 2014 7:25 pm

Capn Crunch wrote:p.s. also in previous years, BLM opened up more tickets throughout the year, which BM pushed those into STEP... Not saying that wont happen this year, but it's a good possibility that it will not.

Do not plan on this happening, at all. Why? Because there is absolutely no way to know if the BLM will allow it again, and trying to figure the governments good will into your vacation plans is a little too ... risky. Use STEP as one avenue, and look for alternative ways as well.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Capn Crunch » Fri May 09, 2014 8:19 pm

Eric wrote:

Do not plan on this happening, at all. Why? Because there is absolutely no way to know if the BLM will allow it again, and trying to figure the governments good will into your vacation plans is a little too ... risky. Use STEP as one avenue, and look for alternative ways as well.

Exactly -- which is why I was saying don't expect it. :P
Capn Crunch

Postby Eric » Fri May 09, 2014 9:32 pm

Capn Crunch wrote:Exactly -- which is why I was saying don't expect it. :P

People are going to gloss over that point, and just hear the bit that tells them what they want to hear. That's why you see Mods come in and re-enforce stuff, especially if it's not going to be popular. The likelihood of the BLM doing that is slim-to-none, and I'd rather people look for other ways to find tickets in addition to STEP than cling to fantasy hopes about miracle tickets from the sky.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby RosieTahoe » Sat May 10, 2014 8:54 am

Eric wrote:
RosieTahoe wrote:Do any of you know of any burners who signed up for STEP during the first day of registration last year that didn't eventually receive a ticket?

Nope. That information was never released, so any guesses are speculation. Even if we find someone who did register on the first day and somehow didn't receive a ticket, there would be absolutely no way to know if they were the only person from that batch not to get one, or one of hundred.

Do not put all your ticket hopes in the STEP basket - be proactive and use all your other Burner resources.

Eric, I understand completely where your responses are coming from, but I was just trying to get some anecdotal evidence from last year to give me some idea of what might happen this year. I mentioned in my post that I have no doubt about EVENTUALLY getting a ticket through the various channels and I don't think I implied that I would stop pursuing those channels due to STEP. Just that, tickets become more and more abundant locally the closer the burn gets, but it is going to give me some heart palpitations if we get within a few weeks of BM without a ticket!

And no, I wouldn't need to find someone that didn't get a ticket that registered on day 1, I would have to find just one person who registered say four days or a week after registration that DID get a ticket.

Not trying to pick a fight, just seems like this topic gets handled with such kid gloves! Aren't we adults here?!?! haha...maybe not ;)
RosieTahoe

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat May 10, 2014 9:01 am

RosieTahoe wrote:Aren't we adults here?!?! haha...maybe not ;)

Definitely not. Read through the ticket threads this year. Read through them last year. And the year before. Look at the huge amount of magical thinking.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Capn Crunch » Sat May 10, 2014 11:12 am

Eric wrote:

People are going to gloss over that point, and just hear the bit that tells them what they want to hear. That's why you see Mods come in and re-enforce stuff, especially if it's not going to be popular. The likelihood of the BLM doing that is slim-to-none, and I'd rather people look for other ways to find tickets in addition to STEP than cling to fantasy hopes about miracle tickets from the sky.

Ah, point taken... I didn't see it that way, but totally understand. A Pandora's box of sorts. :D
Capn Crunch

Postby Eric » Sat May 10, 2014 12:39 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
RosieTahoe wrote:Aren't we adults here?!?! haha...maybe not ;)

Definitely not. Read through the ticket threads this year. Read through them last year. And the year before. Look at the huge amount of magical thinking.

What Fishy said.

And I didn't think I was handling it with kid gloves - exactly the opposite, I trying to be as bluntly honest about prospects as possible. We are in an unknown zone for everyone, including the BMorg - we've reached the point not just of selling-out, but of having waaaaaaaaay more people wanting to go in a given year than the BLM would ever allow. All the old anecdotal evidence is based on a different reality than last year & now. Plus you're assuming that because someone who registered on day 4 last year got a ticket, there will be a ticket offered to someone who registered on day 4 this year - since the STEP tickets offered is based on the number submitted by participants who no longer need them, there is absolutely no way to quantify how many tickets will be entered into STEP in any given year. They could fall from the sky like monsoon rain, they could be like the California drought.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst; don't put all your dreams in one basket, etc...

Now, lets get back to using this thread to celebrate people who do get them. I think the technical details side has been hammered a bit.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby kiwiburner » Sun May 11, 2014 9:04 pm

Eric wrote:

You heard it here first folks!!

;)
kiwiburner

PreviousNext

Return to 2014 Tickets Discussion