Who's In...Who's Out?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Who's In...Who's Out?

Postby pink » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:49 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:^THIS^

***serious face on***

i have told all of my friends the same thing because it is true.

RELAX....go about your lives....plan your art, do your art, enjoy, and stop freaking the fuck out.

sit, like a zen spider, and wait...

2 weeks before the event it will begin to break as plans are changed, people get sick, people flake out and chicken out and someones cat's grandma died at the bar mitzvah they could not miss.

TRUST ME PLEASE, if you are diligent , the closer it gets, the wider your options will be and you will get what you seek.

be careful as always, but there will be PLENTY of legit ticks avail from legit people at face value...

DO NOT GIVE IN TO FEAR AND BUY FROM SCALPERS......thats what they want.

if you really want to get there you will get there, this is a truth, i have seen it many times, under many circumstances, its just part of the process.

i hope everyone who reads this takes it to heart, because its fucking true.

***serious face off***

2012 was the first and only year I didn't get a ticket. The lottery was not good to me. That Friday I posted 'I didn't get a ticket!' On Facebook. That Sunday I spoke the same at my AA meeting. A friend there says, talk to Scooter ( a mutual friend that had moved out of town). I think he's going. So I friend Scooter on Facebook, and two days later I have a reply to my initial post from him, "I have an extra ticket because my wife won't go. Want it?". And then Scooter joined retrofrolic, and hasn't been the same since :shock:

YMMV
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Joeln » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:00 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Time to stop thinking about the ticket you didn't get, and start thinking about the ticket you're gonna get!!! 8)

Hooray! I got a ticket.
A very kind soul here on Eplaya will sell me their extra.
This burgin is going to BM!
Collapse first and avoid the rush
Joeln

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby TT120 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:08 pm

Awesome Joel! You're gonna have a blast!
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: "No Adult Supervision" in BDV

Postby Monkeystyle » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:46 am

Congrats joeln!
Monkeystyle

Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Postby jadewombat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:52 am

trilobyte wrote:At no point did pre-registration ever promise or even imply any kind of guarantee to be able to buy tickets.

The purpose of pre-registering is a countermeasure against pro scalpers and their automated bots. It does a pretty good job, too - by comparison with your typical hot ticket event (where as much as 50% of the supply ends up in the hands of speculators), only a very small percentage of Burning Man tickets are sold for above face value.

Remember folks, Burning Man reserves the right to cancel the sale of any order that was placed for the purpose of selling either tickets or vehicle passes above face value. Don't 'feed the bears' and buy over face, aside from encouraging speculators, you risk losing out if the original order is identified as being sold for over face value.

Stay tuned for details and dates for STEP, as well as for details and dates on ePlaya's own ticket boards. Historically, those who throw their hands up in defeat don't often get tickets - but those who are determined and vigilant almost always get the tickets they need. Those who plan..burn.

OK, I'll ask the age old question--if your purpose is to avoid scalpers, then why not just make everything Will Call for everyone?? Person buys ticket, goes to event, no chance of escalating the price or reselling in the 7 months beforehand.
jadewombat

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:34 am

because of the ginormous clusterfuck that would occur at the gate...

duh.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:45 am

For age-old answers, see previous years' ticket discussion boards. The truth is out there...
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:49 am

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:because of the ginormous clusterfuck that would occur at the gate...

Which is short-sighted of them, because then they could sell tickets to watch the ginormous clusterfuck at gate...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jadewombat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:21 pm

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:because of the ginormous clusterfuck that would occur at the gate...

duh.

Duh yourself. How is this any different than the bottleneck that occurs on Exodus? Open more will-call ticket booths.

You're saying then that the huge scalper market SHOULD exist for this reason? And thousands upon thousands of people SHOULD NOT get tickets fairly and lose out to the scalpers, more thousands upon thousands of headaches--just so people don't have to wait an extra 1 hour (possibly) at the gate??

OK then, don't like that idea? Here's another one. Since you've said that the buying process is specific to someone's name on the credit card--a code reader at the gate checks ticket bar code is specific to the person's name who registered and bought it directly from BMORG. No resells in the general public and the tickets would say so just like boxes of candybars, "Not For Resale." The only resells would be back to STEP program where the barcode would be reset. New idea? Unt-uh. How many serial numbers have been revoked from scalpers posting the bar code on ebay the last few years?

If the big driver is to get people to go to the event and minimize the markup, then why not focus on this issue instead of "Oops, better luck next year." This just doesn't make any sense to me. Even if scalpers are 25% of those 38,000 tickets and the markup is near 400% as of now, guess what, the black market is making just as much money as the 75% but with no overhead. Why continue to drive this?

I'm glad you got a ticket and you think this system is fair and perfect. I'd love to live in your world. You guys want to buy some beachfront property in Santa Barbara? The Easter Bunny lives next door.
jadewombat

Postby fabigothangel » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:32 pm

Keep your fingers crossed for me and send me love and good vibes please <3 :D
live free and thrive
fabigothangel

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Earth Guardians

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:44 pm

Joeln wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:Time to stop thinking about the ticket you didn't get, and start thinking about the ticket you're gonna get!!! 8)

Hooray! I got a ticket.

Congrats!

See, we told you it was way too soon to panic. There are always tickets available from people that buy too many or find out that they are unable to go after buying them.

Thanks for getting it the right way :D
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:55 pm

jadewombat wrote:If the big driver is to get people to go to the event and minimize the markup, then why not focus on this issue instead of "Oops, better luck next year." This just doesn't make any sense to me. Even if scalpers are 25% of those 38,000 tickets and the markup is near 400% as of now, guess what, the black market is making just as much money as the 75% but with no overhead.

Nowhere near 25% of the tickets are scalped. I don't know that as many as 2.5% percent are. You may be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
Trilo is right, the answers have been gone over. I'll offer a little kindess--check out the ticket forums for 2012 and 2013.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:06 pm

you're too kind fishy.

i usually tell asswipes that have no fucking clue that when they use bullshit statistics to "prove" their so-called point they only hang themselves with rope they wove.

obey 'THIS'...
fuck you, it's magic

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

I make up numbers, too, at times. I hope I don't make them as wild as those. And I hope that when I do, I am open to correction from people who know.

And he didn't sign up on the board just yesterday, did he? As I recall, I checked that at his first post on the matter.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby unjonharley » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:44 pm

There were people at the potty turn out at Gerlach last year trying to buy tickets..

Be damned if I would drive out in the desert and hold up a sign "Ticket wanted"..

That is like trying to cross the desert without water...
unjonharley

Postby Monkeystyle » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:57 pm

fabigothangel wrote:Keep your fingers crossed for me and send me love and good vibes please <3 :D

I've got my fingers crossed for you. don't worry, you'll get them.
Monkeystyle

Postby BBadger » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:56 pm

jadewombat wrote: (yadda yadda yadda)

I'm glad you got a ticket and you think this system is fair and perfect. I'd love to live in your world. You guys want to buy some beachfront property in Santa Barbara? The Easter Bunny lives next door.

Holy fucking shit, is this 2012 again?! I thought for sure I had read these exact same comments, solutions, and other whiny bullshit over 9000 times back in 2012.

Same made-up bullshit statistics. Same tired belief that everyone using Will Call will somehow make tickets materialize for others. Same rich-person blaming. Same whining, blaming and pointless solutions to the problems that don't exist.

We've heard it all!

Guess what? Two years later and the sky has not fallen! Scalpers were not the menace everyone made them out to be (hardly any difference even during the panic). Neither were Plug and Play camps or any other lame ass scapegoats people were bitching about.

Instead the real menace turned out to be the endless herd of people who too dense to realize that Burning Man is just really popular and that supply simply doesn't meet demand anymore.

You want to know the world we live in? The world of reality. A world where, yeah, some people don't get tickets because they didn't happen to click a link fast enough. A world where other people want to attend the same event. A world where you might have to be patient and seek out alternatives.

DEAL WITH IT.

Sometimes whenever I read these ridiculous posts I think to myself: AWESOME! Now I won't need to meet this guy on the playa! The system WORKS!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby pink » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:06 pm

Yes, and see how well making friends on eplaya works? Being someone people want to meet? Joein has a ticket already! :D
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:41 pm

You can usually identify an internet troll by the pattern of behavior in their posts. They often try to revive topics that have been beaten to death, usually with remarks intended to pick a fight or start an argument. They don't often make a very good case, because their goal isn't to prevail, it's to start an argument and get people worked up. If you see something that might fit that pattern of behavior, click on the user's name on the right side of their post and then click on Search User's Posts on the right side of their profile page. Pattern behavior is pretty easy to spot. You can then opt to just ignore the user's posts (don't feed the troll, as it were), or even mute them so you don't see their posts anymore.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby fabigothangel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:30 am

[quote]Holy fucking shit, is this 2012 again?! I thought for sure I had read these exact same comments, solutions, and other whiny bullshit over 9000 times back in 2012.

Same made-up bullshit statistics. Same tired belief that everyone using Will Call will somehow make tickets materialize for others. Same rich-person blaming. Same whining, blaming and pointless solutions to the problems that don't exist.

We've heard it all!

Guess what? Two years later and the sky has not fallen! Scalpers were not the menace everyone made them out to be (hardly any difference even during the panic). Neither were Plug and Play camps or any other lame ass scapegoats people were bitching about.

Instead the real menace turned out to be the endless herd of people who too dense to realize that Burning Man is just really popular and that supply simply doesn't meet demand anymore.

You want to know the world we live in? The world of reality. A world where, yeah, some people don't get tickets because they didn't happen to click a link fast enough. A world where other people want to attend the same event. A world where you might have to be patient and seek out alternatives.

DEAL WITH IT.

Sometimes whenever I read these ridiculous posts I think to myself: AWESOME! Now I won't need to meet this guy on the playa! The system WORKS!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

I hear you loud and clear... s
but some people have hard time dealing with it... For multiple reasons... Some camps had their camp mate decimites latin for word cut down from the ticketing system.
I am all up to be positive and cooperative with the ticketing system... Lottery was a disaster... Even in the latest group sale Ticketfly had a glitch of 30minutes where people got lost in system AGAIN> Here it is to you all positive people trying to find a positive solution ! We have a problem of supply and demand here, and it has to be addressed seriously. Maybe having a 2 nd burn could be a solution ... just throwing out there... LMAO. Practically HUNTING FOR A BURNING MAN TICKET IS LIKE HUNTING FOR FOOD IN A PREHISTORICAL ERA>>> IT MAKES IT EVEN MORE INTERESTING>>>>> AND I'M NOT YELLING RIGHT NOW < I JUST LIKE THE CAP LOCKS :-)[/quote]
live free and thrive
fabigothangel

Postby fabigothangel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:30 am

How do you put other peeps quote in white???? I can't fucking do it! LOL
live free and thrive
fabigothangel

Postby remi » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:52 am

Joeln wrote:

Hooray! I got a ticket.

Right on Joeln! I was cheering for ya! See you on the playa!
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby remi » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:54 am

jadewombat wrote:
trilobyte wrote:At no point did pre-registration ever promise or even imply any kind of guarantee to be able to buy tickets.

The purpose of pre-registering is a countermeasure against pro scalpers and their automated bots. It does a pretty good job, too - by comparison with your typical hot ticket event (where as much as 50% of the supply ends up in the hands of speculators), only a very small percentage of Burning Man tickets are sold for above face value.

Remember folks, Burning Man reserves the right to cancel the sale of any order that was placed for the purpose of selling either tickets or vehicle passes above face value. Don't 'feed the bears' and buy over face, aside from encouraging speculators, you risk losing out if the original order is identified as being sold for over face value.

Stay tuned for details and dates for STEP, as well as for details and dates on ePlaya's own ticket boards. Historically, those who throw their hands up in defeat don't often get tickets - but those who are determined and vigilant almost always get the tickets they need. Those who plan..burn.

OK, I'll ask the age old question--if your purpose is to avoid scalpers, then why not just make everything Will Call for everyone?? Person buys ticket, goes to event, no chance of escalating the price or reselling in the 7 months beforehand.

Because it's a terrible idea.. The one option that seemed like a possibility is the non-transferable tickets process, where they write your name on every ticket. And if you don't want it anymore, the only way to get your money back is to put it back through STEP.

But then again, if you read back through the archives, there are reasons why this might not be the best idea for burning man.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby Joeln » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:23 am

[quote="remi"Right on Joeln! I was cheering for ya! See you on the playa![/quote]

Thanks Remi :D
Joeln

Postby Monkeystyle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:23 pm

fabigothangel wrote:How do you put other peeps quote in white???? I can't fucking do it! LOL

Hit the ''quote button on the top right if their post.
Monkeystyle

Postby fabigothangel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:13 pm

[quote="Monkeystyle"][quote="fabigothangel"]How do you put other peeps quote in white???? I can't fucking do it! LOL[/quote]
Hit the ''quote button on the top right if their post.[/quote]

I did it thank you :-)
live free and thrive
fabigothangel

Postby fabigothangel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:13 pm

I guess not LMAO!
live free and thrive
fabigothangel

Postby fabigothangel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:14 pm

I'm retarded!!!!!
live free and thrive
fabigothangel

Postby TT120 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:19 pm

To get the quoting thing to work properly, you have to go into your user control panel and under board preferences, edit posting defaults, and then check the yes box for enable bbcode by default.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: "No Adult Supervision" in BDV

Postby Joeln » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Sweet TT!
Oh - I guess that's not my problem.
Must be when I edited stuff out of Remi's post I accidently deleted the ] that was suposed to be after [quote="remi"

Gotta slow down sometimes
Joeln

PreviousNext

Return to 2014 Tickets Discussion