Buying a Ticket on STEP

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Buying a Ticket on STEP

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:16 pm

the gnashing of teeth was better last year.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby kiss-o-matic » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:18 pm

trilobyte wrote:Haha - and have him jump onto ePlaya. I know message boards can be a bit clunky and let's face it, we're all a bunch of miscreants... but I noticed that most of the people who come in and participate in the site (as opposed to the drive-by ticket seekers) are able to find the tickets that they need.

Good advice, indeed. He is more of a bucket-lister and maybe approaching midlife crisis status, but a very cool guy nonetheless. His sister has burned since the 90's and I'm sure she nudged him. I might have to do a bit of the leg work for him, but I don't mind. Due to his geographic location, he made my first two trips much, much easier so I figure I owe him that.

Im hoping the STEP program will brighten our spirits so the family can go as a whole. Not really sure how it works though, or how to stay on top of it so we dont miss out chance?

STEP is great, but you only get the full enjoyment if you're here following the progress of other STEP-children. I didn't follow last year so closely but the attention to detail paid to timestamps (of the confirmation email) in 2012 was far more exciting than this Sochi Olympics.

In regards to the TBA biness...
Just my take, but I would assume there is some type of analysis of the regular sale data before they proceed.
kiss-o-matic

Burning Since: 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:39 pm

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:the gnashing of teeth was better last year.

However, the garments being rended are ever so much more stylish.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:14 pm

Sequins EVERYWHERE!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Canoe » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:18 pm

fibonacci sequins.jpg
fibonacci sequins.jpg (14.39 KiB) Viewed 897 times
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:13 am

(Have I told you I love you guys lately?)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby faira123 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:57 pm

So I get that step is going to be first come first serve but does it work like the individual sale does or are there new ticket opening each day based on the tickets they may have received recently or is that automatically added to whats available or what? And ive seen a lot of post where people are talking about an after market. is that done on here or is that more through like craigslist and ebay? As you can tell im looking for tickets and just want to make sure I have the best chance possible and all the knowledge I need to make sure we go to burning man this year.
faira123

Burning Since: 2014

Postby FossaFerox » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:23 pm

In the past STEP was an automated wait list. You sign up, you're in line, as people sell their tickets back to the Org over the next few months they go to the next eligible people on the list. At least that's what I understand. Some people also opt to sell directly, especially once STEP closes after tickets are mailed. Don't buy from someone you don't trust. Tickets can be (and are) cancelled if they (or other tickets bought with them) have been scalped for a markup. Buy one of those unknowingly and you're SOL.
Last edited by FossaFerox on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby trilobyte » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:39 pm

trilobyte wrote:The thing about details to be announced is that it means that the details are to be announced. When the information becomes available, we'll post it on the ticketing page, in the Jack Rabbit Speaks, on this message board, and on Twitter and Facebook.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby kiss-o-matic » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:32 pm

I recall in 2012, the STEP queue was empty by the time it was closed, no? How did it work out in 2013? I remember seeing a lot of people that needed tickets on the way in. I seriously wondered how poor at planning someone would have to be to get all the way out there w/ no ticket.
kiss-o-matic

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:55 pm

In 2012 the queue was capped at roughly 2000 people, and yes, everyone in the queue was able to get a ticket (largely because the BLM allowed Burning Man to put additional tickets on sale). The queue was not emptied in 2013.

There are a number of reasons why 2012 and 2013 ticketing situations were a lot different. Summing it up quickly, 2012 was a one-of-a-kind year in a lot of regards. It was the first year with an OMG sale, and when combined with a lot of people who waited longer than they should have to sell their unneeded tickets, there wound up being quite a surplus of tickets in the last few weeks.

Because 2012 happened, 2013 was different. People had a better idea of what to expect from an OMG sale, and those holding extra tickets knew to sell them earlier in the season. On the flip side, there were actually some who figured that they wouldn't even bother trying to get tickets until the very end, expecting another surplus with tickets selling below face. That didn't happen, and people did dumb stuff in their mad scramble (maybe they thought the avalanche of tickets would be waiting for them on their way in?).

2014 will be different from both those years. Speaking personally, I expect that tickets will be harder to come by later in the season, but we'll see how it goes.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Canoe » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:45 pm

kiss-o-matic wrote:...I remember seeing a lot of people that needed tickets on the way in. I seriously wondered how poor at planning someone would have to be to get all the way out there w/ no ticket.

Some of them were, unbelievable.
One women had a rideshare take all her camping gear & supplies from Reno to BRC, while she stayed in Reno looking for a ticket. She was still without a ticket (Saturday?) and wondering if she'd be able to get in on Monday to find the rideshare and retrieve her gear...
Many had no idea (or didn't care) that the Bureau of Land Management had issued a Closure Order such that you weren't supposed to even get off the highway onto the playa unless you had a ticket in hand or waiting for you at Will Call, risking fines or arrest.
Many posting before they left for BM without a ticket, and along the way, all the way to gate, still without a ticket.
One example https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=334&t=66769#p972719
Mojojita wrote:...I was horrified by the sheer numbers of people with signs for tickets. They were not just in Empire and Gerlach, but up and down the lines waiting at Gate. We stopped counting at 50. I was also aware of more people stowing away this year. Saw the BLM catch one in an RV they stopped for something else - the guy made it through gate but not through the police dogs.

Another thread was a guy in Gerlach, part of around 100 "campers" squatting around the town. He was proposing they gather pallets and make their own burn on BLM land... Talk about NOT being good neighbours. Never heard back from him. Assume he was arrested or otherwise moved on.

On a variation, one Burner at BRC wasn't carrying their ticket around with them. They got sick and taken back to Reno, then released in Reno. Med in BRC had told them to get to Gate and they'd sort it out. "All I have is my passport, wallet and phone which is about to die". They found a rideshare and a ticketing supervisor contacted Med and they worked it out.
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:58 pm

Yeah, I don't think local law enforcement was expecting that tide of roadside hippies, either. In the couple years prior there had been nothing quite like it - my understanding is they'll be more active on that front this year.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby kiss-o-matic » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:54 pm

Dang... hanging out all week. That's gotta be rough. Live and learn. Hopefully everyone here walks away with their ticket. I assume those that went the last two years and even remotely have an inkling to go have bought tickets.

To play devil's advocate: assuming the event does grow in popularity by a small percentage a year, is there reason to believe the license will increase somewhere around the same number? I could see this getting painful as time goes on.
kiss-o-matic

Postby BBadger » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:13 pm

A bunch of damn squatters. Maybe this year they'll even set up shanty-towns along the route.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby omegared » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:49 am

Does anyone recall when STEP started last year? Just trying to get my finances in order so I can be ready to snap up a ticket whenever they come available.
"Honey you don't want to be in your tent right now. I looks like Burning Man THREW UP in there."
omegared

Camp Name: Kamp Joe 4 President

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:04 am

The date they started may, or may not, be the same as it was last year. All other ticket sales were later than last year's, for instance, so that I feel all bets are off.
Remember, too, that the start date is not the same date as the day you get an offer. Get the money together as soon as possible, and make sure that you don't use it for something else in the weeks or months until you are offered a ticket. And keep working your network, to see if you can find one someplace else.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:04 am

Last year's timetable has no bearing on this year's timetable, since a) new ticket provider and b) pre-sale/DSG/main sale all happened at later dates.

STEP opening up doesn't mean that you get a ticket immediately - it's just a queue. How quickly it moves depends completely upon how frequently people contribute tickets. It moves at a snails pace, but once you get a notification email you generally only have a couple days to respond. That has yet to be firmed up for this year, of course, because details are to be announced.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby omegared » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:20 pm

Thank you for the input. Understand how STEP works and that it's not a sure thing, but it and ePlaya are probably my best shot at a ticket. I want to be ready IF I get a chance at a ticket. Not paying scalper prices because a) It's ethically wrong. Hey if it were Chevelle tickets I'd just pay the markup, but this is Burning Man... scalping is kinda totally against the whole idea of it. b) Scalpers are charging a $500 markup for a ticket that they may or may not have... and if they DO have may be void. Not a gambler and $900 is kind of a steep bet.
"Honey you don't want to be in your tent right now. I looks like Burning Man THREW UP in there."
omegared

Postby Eric » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:48 pm

omegared wrote:b) Scalpers are charging a $500 markup for a ticket that they may or may not don't have... and if they DO have may be void if they come up with one. Not a gambler and $900 is kind of a steep bet.

Fixed it.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby omegared » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:31 pm

Nice work!!! :)
omegared

Postby omegared » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:40 pm

Dig your signature Cryptofishist... Nice!!!
omegared

Postby omegared » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:35 pm

WanWaaaa... that disappointing noise. Another great edition of Jack Rabbit Speaks and no new ticket information. :(. Breathe deep... slow breaths... patience is a virtue.
omegared

Postby Eric » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:59 pm

omegared wrote:Nice work!!! :)

omegared - just a style tip, but when you're responding to a multi-page thread, using the "quote" button (upper right corner of every post) will put the specific post you're replying to in your response (like yours is in mine). Just makes it easier to know who did the nice work! :)

As for the lack of info about STEP - yep. They are taking their sweet time, and all we can do is breathe & wait.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby omegared » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:19 pm

Eric wrote:
omegared wrote:Nice work!!! :)

omegared - just a style tip, but when you're responding to a multi-page thread, using the "quote" button (upper right corner of every post) will put the specific post you're replying to in your response (like yours is in mine). Just makes it easier to know who did the nice work! :)

As for the lack of info about STEP - yep. They are taking their sweet time, and all we can do is breathe & wait.

Kudos, thx for the tip. have been frequently been noted for bluntness and lack of style.
omegared

Postby waterygrave » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:23 pm

I am very, very interested in STEP too. I dont have a ticket yet, but I have the money set aside, ready and waiting.

Please dont leave me to the scalpers when the time comes, O ticket Gods!
waterygrave

Postby magpiejay » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:33 pm

Obviously I'll be waiting for 'to be announced' to be announced, but I have a horrible feeling I'll be coming all the way from Australia, with tickets, only to end up standing beside the road with a 'Vehicle Pass Wanted' sign.

Which is pretty ironic considering I cycled out last year (never again).
magpiejay

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:51 pm

waterygrave wrote:Please dont leave me to the scalpers when the time comes, O ticket Gods!

We HIGHLY recommend not even bothering with the scalper route: any tickets the BMorg discovers were sold for over face value are cancelled, along with any other tickets sold in that original transaction. You do not want to spend several hundred dollars over face value just to get to the Gate & be told your ticket is invalid, or counterfeit (both of which happened last year). You'll be turned around, your vacation will be ruined, and you're out the money. Work all the legit aftermarket routes you can, but going the scalping path is a good way to screw yourself.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby kiss-o-matic » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:09 pm

The counterfeit thing is scary. Were they pretty obvious to spot?
kiss-o-matic

Postby FossaFerox » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:45 pm

Probably not. I'd expect them to be perfectly reproduced, maybe save for the hologram. Remember, these things are easier to counterfeit than currency and worth about four times as much if you sell them at the real thing's face value. A part of me thinks it would be nice if the org released a list of security features to spot fakes, but then that would make buying scalped or questionable tickets slightly safer so I doubt they ever would.

Next year I'm betting on encrypted RFID chips. :P
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

PreviousNext

Return to 2014 Tickets Discussion