Can I show up for part of the time?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Can I show up for part of the time?

Postby ^Rhino! » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Yggy, that's awful.

This last year, on the way to Burningman, I stopped in Winslow, Arizona. I stood on a corner. There was no girl in a flatbed Ford who was comin' down to take a look at me.

Thus, I DON'T have to take it easy.

So there.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby Canoe » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:40 pm

burner von braun wrote:... Plenty of room at the Hotel Larryharvey...

So, you're trying to make him waste money on a private detective making sure you don't know where he lives?
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Monkeystyle » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:57 am

Ok, i might be showing how new i am but i keep hearing about wedneaday, what happens on wednesday?
Monkeystyle

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:47 am

The ePlaya Meet & Greet beginning at 6 p.m. at Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro one of the truly wonderful events held each year. You can actually meet some of the more infamous ePlayans there. And if you're really lucky, Savannah!
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby ^Rhino! » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:17 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:The ePlaya Meet & Greet beginning at 6 p.m. at Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro one of the truly wonderful events held each year. You can actually meet some of the more infamous ePlayans there. And if you're really lucky, Savannah!

Infamous? You call us infamous?

I'm just incorrigible.

And, now that I'm over 50, I'm merely eccentric.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

^Rhino!

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:41 am

I like notorious! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ygmir » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:22 pm

well, most refer to me as sweet, gentle, and innocent, if not naive..................
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:02 pm

Any days you can make it will be much better than not being there. But after last year I personally would be concerned about showing up late in the week, finding out that the population is maxed out, & having to wait for people to leave before I could get in. I was unable to Burn year but understand this happened. Anyone care to chime in on that???
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby ^Rhino! » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:03 pm

FIGJAM wrote:I like notorious! 8)

In other words, you don't have issues.

You have a subscription.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

^Rhino!

Postby ^Rhino! » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:05 pm

ygmir wrote:well, most refer to me as sweet, gentle, and innocent, if not naive..................

Gentle you may be.

Ladies may refer to you as 'sweet'

But INNOCENT?

Al Capone has dibs before you do.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

^Rhino!

Postby aserendipity » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:11 pm

I started to write some more adjectives describing Yggy and erased them as I was "gushing"
aserendipity

Postby lucky420 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:22 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:Any days you can make it will be much better than not being there. But after last year I personally would be concerned about showing up late in the week, finding out that the population is maxed out, & having to wait for people to leave before I could get in. I was unable to Burn year but understand this happened. Anyone care to chime in on that???

yeah I heard about that too. it didnt make sense to me as to why more tickets were sold than would be allowed in. I would've been royally pissed if I'd had to wait for that reason.

I could be wrong but someone wiser than me may have an answer ^^
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Canoe » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:35 pm

http://blog.burningman.com/2013/08/news ... brc-entry/
Burning Man and the Bureau of Land Management have begun tighter management of the entrance gate to the Burning Man event. Measures are being taken to ensure camping is occurring in designated areas and to manage overall population of the event. The new entrance controls will likely result in increased wait times at the Main Gate,

From second-hand reports, some were delayed, and some breezed right through, even when within arriving within 20 minutes of each other. You can search eplaya for a few posted first hand accounts.

https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic ... 69&t=66794
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby trilobyte » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Yes, that did happen. The BLM knows exactly how many event tickets have been sold (as well as allocated for staff, etc), and agrees to those numbers before the tickets are ever made available. It had more to do with the BLM wanting to restrict the number of people being brought into the city until additional infrastructure could be put in place (as per what the ticket team posted on a recent Reddit event). Once the additional banks of porta-potties had been installed and the streets set up, the BLM backed away from their in-for-an-out stance. I doubt that situation will be repeated this year.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ^Rhino! » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:00 pm

trilobyte wrote:Yes, that did happen. The BLM knows exactly how many event tickets have been sold (as well as allocated for staff, etc), and agrees to those numbers before the tickets are ever made available. It had more to do with the BLM wanting to restrict the number of people being brought into the city until additional infrastructure could be put in place (as per what the ticket team posted on a recent Reddit event). Once the additional banks of porta-potties had been installed and the streets set up, the BLM backed away from their in-for-an-out stance. I doubt that situation will be repeated this year.

Just like the org, the BLM learns by doing. I think things will smooth up this year a little.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

^Rhino!

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:05 pm

Canoe wrote:http://blog.burningman.com/2013/08/news/burning-man-blm-tighten-management-of-brc-entry/
Burning Man and the Bureau of Land Management have begun tighter management of the entrance gate to the Burning Man event. Measures are being taken to ensure camping is occurring in designated areas and to manage overall population of the event. The new entrance controls will likely result in increased wait times at the Main Gate,

From second-hand reports, some were delayed, and some breezed right through, even when within arriving within 20 minutes of each other. You can search eplaya for a few posted first hand accounts.

https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic ... 69&t=66794

I try to arrive as near gate open as possible so it's not a concern to me. But if I were considering showing up for only part of the week, I personally would try to get there by Wednesday or Thursday and hope there is not a repeat of last year’s gate closures.
After paying pre-sale prices, driving 2000 miles @ around 5 MPG, & spending money on everything else that goes with a week on the Playa, I would be pretty pissed off if I arrived & couldn't get in the gate. But I guess it isn't specifically stated anywhere that you are guaranteed entry if you show up with a valid ticket & vehicle pass. What a silly assumption!
I guess there is always the chance of showing up during a rain storm & not getting in right away either so hope for the best, plan for the worst, & enjoy what time you have when you do get HOME. But I would not wait until the last 4 days. YMMV :D
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby trilobyte » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:50 pm

Indeed, Rhino.. in all the history of the event, I don't think there's ever been a year where such a large percentage of the population has shown up so early, and it's been many many years since so many stayed all the way through. I chalk it up to some really amazing photos of the giant saucer coming together circulating online (every time I saw one, it made me want to get out there asap), and then both the man base and temple being really spectacular structures you couldn't help but want to see burn.

The really rough weather the week before the burn didn't help a whole lot, either. The storms not only disrupted and slowed down the progress of getting camps and art built, but it affected the United Services operations. That got them off to a slow start, and when combined with a big uptick in population in the front half of the week I think United Services was fighting a very uphill battle all week long. As much of a bummer as it had to have been for people held up at the gates, making sure something was being done in the porto department before more came in was probably a good thing.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby lucky420 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:56 pm

thanks for clearing that up Trilo
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby ^Rhino! » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:24 pm

Trilo, what people need to know is that BEFORE the event, people ARE WORKING. They're working on art, on camp set-ups, they're squaring things up so that all of us can enjoy the event as a group. The WORK is before the event. The event itself requires loads of it. So, if you haven't done so by now, VOLUNTEER! I GUARANTEE that you will be glad you did. I always get an added bonus of smiles and love before the event, making sure that camp is set up and that we have the Gate issue of the Black Rock Beacon ready to go!

And we'll have an Exodus edition as well.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

^Rhino!

Postby aserendipity » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:19 pm

Excellent !

smiles and love to you .

xoA.
aserendipity

Postby trilobyte » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:32 pm

I'm sorry if something I posted implied that the people working on setup in the week before the event weren't working.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby aserendipity » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:54 pm

Excellent to you as well Trilo
you said everything exactly right
it is just a different kind of love that projects
Heston/Coburn in the rocks
aserendipity

Postby FossaFerox » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:50 am

Getting back to Monkeystyle's question, aside from the meet and greet for ePlaya there are a LOT of big parties and events that day and especially that night. I was sad to miss the Festival of Bubastis at Spanky's this year but there was so much to see and so much happening Wednesday night I just couldn't swing it.

The reason for the many parties is that Wednesday is the last day of the "early" city. It isn't a hard change over, but after Wednesday the city just feels a bit different, more and more day by day. It isn't a bad change, but it becomes a little bit less about community and a little bit more about the party as the population grows. It's also "Whiteout Wednesday" when many people choose to wear white, though this isn't official or universally recognized/practiced.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby Monkeystyle » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:12 am

Gotcha, yeah, i guess thats when the weekenders start to.show up to party. Im not sure.why someone would spend $380 for tickets and not make the commitment to be there for the whole week. I think you would loose a ton of the experience just showing up for the end... That brings up another question. Assuming i dont have an early access pass, when should i show up at the gates to get in as early as possible? This road trip we are doing this summer starts august 14th from winnipeg and at that point my fiancee will be joining my best friend and i. Then we head to vancouver, then seattle, then on the 20th, portland where shes flying out. That gives me and mike 5 days to get to san fran and then reno. So showing up early isnt an issue... Is it worth or possible to show up sunday night to get in line? Or am i just over eager?
Monkeystyle

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Postby lucky420 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:41 am

Last year gates opened at 6 pm on Sunday.

Not all late arrivals are just "weekenders". Some have school or work commitments...

:coffee: :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby ^Rhino! » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:13 am

trilobyte wrote:I'm sorry if something I posted implied that the people working on setup in the week before the event weren't working.

You didn't, Trilo.

I just was doing my 1-minute or less public service announcement. I might actually do that again this year at BMIR, to announce when the Black Rock Beacon new issues are out. Practice makes perfect.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

^Rhino!

Postby ^Rhino! » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:19 am

Monkeystyle wrote:Gotcha, yeah, i guess thats when the weekenders start to.show up to party. Im not sure.why someone would spend $380 for tickets and not make the commitment to be there for the whole week. I think you would loose a ton of the experience just showing up for the end... That brings up another question. Assuming i dont have an early access pass, when should i show up at the gates to get in as early as possible? This road trip we are doing this summer starts august 14th from winnipeg and at that point my fiancee will be joining my best friend and i. Then we head to vancouver, then seattle, then on the 20th, portland where shes flying out. That gives me and mike 5 days to get to san fran and then reno. So showing up early isnt an issue... Is it worth or possible to show up sunday night to get in line? Or am i just over eager?

Dude, it might actually be worth your while just to hit one or two of the taco stands on 447 run by members of the Pyramid Lake Band of the Paiute Nation. Tacos made with Indian frybread are fantastic, and if you so desire, you can just get the frybread covered with powdered sugar or brown sugar+cinnamon. So then, if you show up Sunday night, you get GREAT eats right before Gate opens.

I was VERY lucky last year. I took the deep southern route to get to Burningman, picking up a friend in L.A, but stopping to get Indian Tacos from the Hopi and the Dine (Navajo) Nations. Not much difference between those and Paiute varieties. They're ALL great.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

^Rhino!

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:25 am

Plan to show up no earlier than 6pm on Sunday. While we have not yet gotten our official confirmation that the BLM will let us open the gates at that time, that's been the start time for the last couple years. Stay tuned to the boards for confirmation, which usually comes a little later in the season.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby FossaFerox » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:48 am

Also, you do NOT want to "show up early to get in line". Early arrivals that don't have EA admission passes for registered theme camp setup (Which stop being valid Sunday at noon if memory serves) are put in the detention lot. It's first in, last out. Once the gate opens they gradually let people filter out of D-lot, but if you get there an hour early expect to get into the city an hour AFTER the gate opens, or worse. And the earlier you arrive the worse it is.

They simply cannot afford having people "line up" on the one lane road that leads from Fernley to BRC through Empire and Gerlach. Traffic is bad enough as it is once people start showing up after the gate opens. If we could treat the opening of BRC like any other big event and line up it would be catastrophic. People would be out there for days (everyone brings everything they need, give or take a pot to piss in) and if that happened then people with EA passes wouldn't be able to get in to build stuff.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby lucky420 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:59 am

D lot is not the staging lot. There is a difference. Staging is for people who arrive a early. D lot is for rigs that are difficult to inspect or for other problems.
Last year they staggered the people in the staging lot with the people in line. I was in staging and it wasnt so bad. WE were about in the middle of staging lot. We got in line there (gate will be there supervising the parking ) and then just parked and visited with others. There was a bank of porta potties... :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

PreviousNext

Return to 2014 Tickets Discussion