Directed Group Sale

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Directed Group Sale

Postby Hope-a-Lope » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:21 pm

I opened my email link at 8:13pm. Entered my information by 8:14pm. Checked out and received confirmation email by 8:15pm.

I am STUNNED at how easy that was.

I'm going home in August, fuck yeah!
Hope-a-Lope

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Pharos

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:56 pm

From everything I've read today, the ticket buying experience is going smoother than the last 3 years. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:58 pm

@Dr Helix - why, you ask? Part of it is the inherent nature of complex system design, and part of it is the nature of busy on-sale events. There are also the demands of all the people who had a tough time with reading comprehension and following instructions. Your post makes it sound like everyone had all their ducks in a row (which wouldn't be unreasonable, it wasn't that hard to do), when in truth thousands of participants in the DGS had problems that the ticket team has been working long hours and through the weekend to help with. You also make it sound like neither Burning Man nor Ticketfly was providing updates, which is completely untrue. As a volunteer working for Burning Man, wtf do you think I was doing all day? Burning Man was also communicating updates through the FB page and via multiple twitter accounts (you'll also note that the first post in this thread suggested following the @BManTickets feed). Ticketfly was also posting updates via their feeds, too. I know you've been to the event before, but maybe it's that you've never been the one buying tickets during the on-sale before. I'm unhappy that there was a glitch, but I'm extremely happy with the support from both Burning Man and the ticket provider. Just a couple years ago there was zero in the way of support on the boards, and now not only are they providing support but they include me on the process and treat me as part of the team. And the response time has gotten significantly better - the ticketsupport@ system handles more than double the number of cases per day than the previous system, and on the tech side the problem was identified and resolved quickly, and within 15 minutes the fix was live and word was being communicated out (here, via email, and via social media). Demand for DGS tickets was higher this year, but getting through the initial server crush and to the point where there was no wait for tickets was hours faster this year compared to last.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby AlakaLazlo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:51 pm

I wanted to extend my congrats to the ticket crew. I was actually on a plane at noon and was a bit freaked because it didn't have wifi. I assumed all the directed tickets would be gone by the time I landed and I'd just have to deal with the main sale. (A pain, but soooo worth it!) But upon landing (around 2:45pm PST) I grabbed my phone and followed my e-mailed link. Entered the code, my CC info and BAM, 2 tickets and a car pass. Took me less than 5 minutes beginning to end. I know some people had trouble, and I feel for them. But for me, this was absolutely painless. Well done kiddies! See you all in BRC. :P :P :P
AlakaLazlo

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: ...and then there's only LOVE

Postby DoctorIknow » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:58 pm

@Dr Helix - why, you ask?

It is kinda sad to read posts about suffering and being angry for 30 minutes waiting for tickets and a "how dare they" be so incompetent, etc.

Those of us who've been buying BM tickets since they went online for sales are probably just smiling, thinking "..if they only knew...."

Yes, it is a pain in the ass. But another way to look at it might be:

-----Wow, the system worked and I've got tickets!
-----It is amazing that I am at BM in a serviced portapottie and shit is not piled up like a volcano erupting above the seat (yes, it was like that in earlier days)
-----Golly, isn't it great that there is this beautiful minute on the playa with no dust and perfect temperature? This is worth everything!
-----I just passed thru the Greeters! I have no memory of the last 5 hours waiting in line. I can't believe I'm here and about to have an incredible week!

Two monks, a old one and a new one, come to a river.
A young woman is on the riverbank, stressed because she is afraid to cross the shallow but swiftly flowing river.
The older monk, picks her up, carries her across, let's her down, she thanks him.
Two hours later, the two monks are still walking, and the younger monk says:
"We have learned we must not touch women. How could you do it?"
The old monk says:
"True, I carried her across the river. But you are still carrying her."
DoctorIknow

Postby mdmf007 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:25 pm

This was actually the easiest its been in years, Kudos to the ticketing team getting it way better this time around, thanks Trilo for your hours...

MDMF
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:31 pm

Ticket day 2011: 16 hours.

Ticket day 2012: 12 hours.

Ticket day 2013: 6 hours.

From everything I've read, today went great apart from the first hiccup!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Dr Helix » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:08 am

I laughed a little when I saw folks today talking about how the ticket sale was much smoother than it has been. There wasn't a lot of that kind of comment yesterday when everyone was pulling out their hair. And I did acknowledge you Trilo in my post saying you were an important voice yesterday trying to let us know what was going on at least. I say to you sir, many thanks. I didn't look for other info sources besides eplaya for help, so for that I stand corrected and chastized. I still stand by my statement that if a professional ticketing group is going to charge me to use their service that they should be able to handle it. Do glitches occur? Sure. But should I expect it? No. But water under the bridge at this point as everyone seemingly got what they wanted; tickets! And for that I say excellent! See you all out there.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby freeeeeman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:37 pm

has the directed group sold out yet?
freeeeeman

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dodgeball Addiction

Postby brcprincess » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:46 pm

I'd like to say thanks to BM for making the directed group sale possible. It's relieved a huge amount of stress for our camp.

It's a nice to be taken care of so thank you :D
brcprincess

Postby tamarakay » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:35 pm

http://blog.burningman.com/2014/02/news/directed-group-sale-update/

Props to them. Good communication, owning the error, and let's all move on. Once the codes were authorized the process was quick and painless.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby trilobyte » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:28 am

The directed group sale is not over, but those tickets will sell out. If your camp or project has invited team members who haven't yet gotten their tickets (traveling, busy at work, waiting for payday, etc), remind them that the time is now. :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby usurpedus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:45 am

thank you, this was definitely a successful experience
usurpedus

Postby Killbuck » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:06 pm

SIDESHOW: Carnival of Smoke and Mirrors 2015 is looking for drop-in performers!! Do you have a freaky talent, skill or characteristic? Do you lay on a bed of nails, or swallow swords? PM me if interested.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Dr Helix » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:56 pm

As of 11:50 pst today, tickets are still available. At least you can still get on the website and it doesn't indicate it's sold out.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby trilobyte » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:28 pm

From an official standpoint, the sale has ended. Links have been removed from the ticketing page as well as the burner profile. The TF page is still 'alive' - as the ticket team is using the very few remaining tickets to help out some outstanding customer support issues. If you know anyone in a registered project who has not yet purchased their tickets, I'd suggest telling them it might be worth a shot to try and use the link in the email asap and see if their purchase will go through.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby unitivity » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:27 pm

I am in the individual sale but this info is very important. Thank you very much.

It is very important to notify the bank of the drop of that much money

in a strange area at one time for it could be estoppel time at the wrong time for the credit or debit card.

Thank you for pointing that out. Mr. Administrator. You are very good at this, respect >

ps. the code is not valid because the sale has not started. I suppose.

Thanks for tweet treat as well, we shall see how fast these go out on twitter.

Best regards

( unit )

AKA - unitivity
unit
unitivity

Burning Since: 2014

Postby trilobyte » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:31 am

You're very welcome. We'll post a thread with similar tips and info ahead of the sale on Wednesday morning.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Previous

Return to 2014 Tickets Discussion