Barbie Death Village Reno Hotel Deal 2014

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Re: Barbie Death Village Reno Hotel Deal 2014

Postby jasonk » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:29 pm

Monkeystyle wrote:I am seeing a lot of reviews about bed bugs at the sands.... even one of them from as recent as this spring....

Where are you seeing the reviews?

I would perhaps email the hotel the URLs...if they really have them, they'll know it's being talked about, and they'll realize they should probably do something.

If they do have them...do we blame hippie Burners? ;)
jasonk

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Swamp Yankees inside Barbie Village

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:46 pm

jasonk wrote:
Monkeystyle wrote:I am seeing a lot of reviews about bed bugs at the sands.... even one of them from as recent as this spring....

Where are you seeing the reviews?

This is where all those truly terrorfyed (I misspelled that so bad, spellcheck can't help...) about bed bugs go...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby bm_cricket » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:28 am

Did anybody else notice that the hotel was suffering a little neglect? Maybe they just put me in bad rooms for my drive in and out of BRC. The elevators weren't working, the shower plumbing was coming out of the walls, the light switches sparked when they got flipped. :?

All my past years at the hotel were okay, ranging from 2009-2013? This year just seemed a little more dilapidated.
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Bless » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:06 am

That place is a dump. Much like most of Reno.
FUCK YOU I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU I'M A SHARK.
Bless

Burning Since: 2012

Postby bm_cricket » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:12 am

Bless wrote:That place is a dump. Much like most of Reno.

Well,... yes. But it was worse than usual. I just wondered if anyone else had that experience, of if they just gave me the worst rooms they could find.
)'(
bm_cricket

Postby lucky420 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:13 am

Really? Eh...fuck off
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:14 am

bm_cricket wrote:

Well,... yes. But it was worse than usual. I just wondered if anyone else had that experience, of if they just gave me the worst rooms they could find.

It was full up. You're a stinky burner. It's cheap.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby bm_cricket » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:20 am

lucky420 wrote:It was full up. You're a stinky burner. It's cheap.

I stayed there on Thursday night before gates opened (prebuild) and Friday night before the man ever came down. I wouldn't expect either of those to be totally full, especially not a Thursday.

lucky420 wrote:

Really? Eh...fuck off

Yeah, it's a funny thing. I would feel bad wrecking a really nice hotel, so I don't mind staying someplace a little grubby like the Sands. That said, sparking light switches and terrifying elevators add a whole new level of terror to the visit. All I want is a safe room, clean bed, a hot shower, and preferably a high traffic parking lot with 24 hour security. The Sands has always done this until now. I don't like sparking switches. Call me a whimp. But my main question is this: Did anyone else notice anything different this year from past years?
)'(
bm_cricket

Postby lucky420 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:27 am

bm_cricket wrote:

I stayed there on Thursday night before gates opened (prebuild) and Friday night before the man ever came down. I wouldn't expect either of those to be totally full, especially not a Thursday.

lucky420 wrote:

Really? Eh...fuck off

Yeah, it's a funny thing. I would feel bad wrecking a really nice hotel, so I don't mind staying someplace a little grubby like the Sands. That said, sparking light switches and terrifying elevators add a whole new level of terror to the visit. All I want is a safe room, clean bed, a hot shower, and preferably a high traffic parking lot with 24 hour security. The Sands has always done this until now. I don't like sparking switches. Call me a whimp. But my main question is this: Did anyone else notice anything different this year from past years?

Lol sparking switches, sands just wanted you to feel at home. :twisted: The sands has some rooms that are "decent" and some not so. It's a gamble on which you room you end up with.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:29 am

lucky420 wrote:
bm_cricket wrote:

Lol sparking switches, sands just wanted you to feel at home. :twisted: The sands has some rooms that are "decent" and some not so. It's a gamble on which you room you end up with.

And yeah I've seen some shit rooms there
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby bm_cricket » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:30 am

lucky420 wrote:Lol sparking switches, sands just wanted you to feel at home. :twisted: The sands has some rooms that are "decent" and some not so. It's a gamble on which you room you end up with.

That's what my wife and I kept telling ourselves. "Oh honey, just be glad we didn't get electrocuted during the lightning storm", "Oh honey, isn't it wonderful that nobody broke any bones in camp this year?", "Oh honey, nobody in camp required surgery, or even stitches this year."
)'(
bm_cricket

Postby pink » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:17 pm

If a room is dirty/dangerous, ask for a different one. Last year post burn, water suddenly started coming out of the light fixture in the bathroom. When I called the front desk, they switched us to a different room before they even investigated whatever was going on in the room above. We had already showered & really didn't want to switch rooms, we were so tired. They said it was for safety, and had to be done. I'm sure a wiring problem would also be a safety issue!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby danibel » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:02 pm

I stayed one night on the way up and the one on the way back. The room on the way up was not any dirtier or "unkept" as any other room I have been in there. But, I was disappointed that the shower was lukewarm that evening. I had just packed up the van and driven 5 hours straight and all I wanted was a hot shower before bed (It was 3 am or so). I got a lukewarm one. I did take another in the morning (because, burning man) and it was hot as a pistol. The only thing I can think is that the laundry was running and used all the hot water.

On the way home we had a room of about the same quality, but the shower - WOW. Not a low flow at all! It was great. HOT and fabulous. I even took a bath. I did notice that the beds we had were super comfy. I slept great both nights.

I do think I am going to try to book at the GSR next year. Just for something a little different. I've stayed at Circus Circus and I would say it's about the same as the Sands, but costs a bit more.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Ulisse » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:53 pm

First, a big THANK YOU to Doc for setting this up for us.
I stayed both before and after the burn. The rooms where comfortable, inexpensive and clean. Not fancy. The hotel was full. bell staff said that over 800 people checked out on Sunday before the burn.
I don't know, but I believe that the more often you stay there the better room you will get. Businesses take care of repeat customers.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...
Ulisse

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Jovankat » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:06 am

We stayed there before and after the burn, all up three nights for $120, that's fanfuckingtastic in my book. We even went back there this weekend despite staying at The Nugget to get the steak and lobster deal at the restaurant after we kept missing it. Also the banana and strawberry (ask them to mix the flavours) milkshakes at Mel's were AMAZING.

Also, is the two queen or king beds to a room a Reno/Nevada thing? All three hotels I've stayed in there have had them as standard but it's not something I've seen anywhere else I've traveled.
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Postby Ulisse » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:56 am

Also, is the two queen or king beds to a room a Reno/Nevada thing? All three hotels I've stayed in there have had them as standard but it's not something I've seen anywhere else I've traveled.

Most hotels in the US offer either 2 queens or 1 king. Ask when you register they are usually happy to give you 1 or 2 beds for the same cost.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...
Ulisse

Burning Since: 2013

Postby danibel » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:37 am

Ulisse wrote:I don't know, but I believe that the more often you stay there the better room you will get. Businesses take care of repeat customers.

I am a member of the gaming club at the sands. I get emails all year and coupons in the mail. I use them when I stay there, and yes, I do think I get a better room because I am repeat customer and in the "club."
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Ulisse wrote:

Most hotels in the US offer either 2 queens or 1 king. Ask when you register they are usually happy to give you 1 or 2 beds for the same cost.

I've made hotel reservations for my boss and others, and yeah, that's the standard.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Previous

Return to 2014 Share Resources