2014 East Coast Convoy To Burning Man

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

2014 East Coast Convoy To Burning Man

Postby Swope904 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:32 am

Has anyone does this before? I know it's hard to delicate everyone to a schedule and getting them to meet up from different parts would be a PITA but just wondering If people trip together from the east coast.

I'm a future virgin for 2014 and am going with a buddy. I'm 22 and hes 19.

I know this would probably be a good thing to get into contact with my regional's about which I will here soon into the future.

Anyone Camps or groups from Florida in particular that make thew drive out there?
Swope904

Burning Since: 2014

Re: 2014 East Coast Convoy To Burning Man

Postby Elliot » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:53 pm

:D
Me again, Sean. Driving in a convoy is a good idea in the sense of mechanical support, or fending off armed attack. But it is a terribly slow way to travel. Generally, everyone will be restricted to the slowest vehicle's speed, and must wait every time one vehicle needs to stop. I drove 18-wheelers cross country for many years, and I learned to refuse to keep company with even one other truck.

That said... it may be a good idea to travel with one other vehicle if your vehicle is less than fresh and absolutely reliable.

Rendezvousing with others on the road would be a gamble, since people often run late with preparations and packing.

What sort of rig do you plan to drive?
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Swope904 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:13 pm

Haha Elliot stop following me! just kidding lol And yeah I kinda figured there would be a lot of problems with timing. I was mostly going for just trying to join with other to travel with. And I have a 84' Caviler shes old but has less then 55k miles on it. Sat in an old ladies garage for over 10 years and I got it for free. So it was a pretty sweet deal. Nothing super fast but shes damn good on gas.
Swope904

Postby Elliot » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:33 pm

55,000 miles is well and good, but 1984 is the very recipe for cracking radiator hoses and and other problems that come from sheer age. And the Cavalier wasn't the best quality car in the world to start with. (I do appreciate the fun-value of an old "survivor" car, though.)

So you ought to have a competent mechanic go over, and replace as advisable, all hoses, belts, tires and such that he can think of for a long hard trip far from cities.

I'm glad she is sparing with the gasoline. Do not carry a big pile of luggage on the roof.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:44 pm

Elliot wrote: I learned to refuse to keep company with even one other truck.

I thought that was because you're a crotchety ol' fuck with a piss poor attitude…

haha

But about BM caravanning: what seems to work best is teaming up with others traveling with similar weight. If you're in a loaded RV pulling a trailer, you're good company with someone else traveling heavy. In just a car like yours, you're better company for others traveling light.
I do recommend hooking up with a few caravan buddies, two or three seems about right. You'll be a LONG way from home and the security of having friends with you is beyond valuable. But keep the caravan small, because as Eliot says, every time anyone has to stop, everyone has to stop.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Swope904 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Elliot wrote:55,000 miles is well and good, but 1984 is the very recipe for cracking radiator hoses and and other problems that come from sheer age. And the Cavalier wasn't the best quality car in the world to start with. (I do appreciate the fun-value of an old "survivor" car, though.)

So you ought to have a competent mechanic go over, and replace as advisable, all hoses, belts, tires and such that he can think of for a long hard trip far from cities.

I'm glad she is sparing with the gasoline. Do not carry a big pile of luggage on the roof.

Yes it is a small Car. I am not planing to take a lot in it. Just what I need. I plan on doing a full service including new tires before I set out on my way. The cooling system on my car was just recently redone. Its a decent car. Just a few little things I need to do before I actually leave. but thats over 9 months away. plus going through getting a ticket. so. who all evens knows lol :)

Captain Goddammit wrote:

I thought that was because you're a crotchety ol' fuck with a piss poor attitude…

haha

But about BM caravanning: what seems to work best is teaming up with others traveling with similar weight. If you're in a loaded RV pulling a trailer, you're good company with someone else traveling heavy. In just a car like yours, you're better company for others traveling light.
I do recommend hooking up with a few caravan buddies, two or three seems about right. You'll be a LONG way from home and the security of having friends with you is beyond valuable. But keep the caravan small, because as Eliot says, every time anyone has to stop, everyone has to stop.

Yeah thats exactly something that I would like to do. Trying to find people now. I was going to get into contact with the Central Florida Burners Regional. But even then your not always so lucky.
Swope904

Postby Elliot » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:01 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:

haha

Awwwwwww, youuuuu... you... you... dastardly scallywag!

(This is called Thread Drift.) :lol:

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby trilobyte » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Share Resources board, since that's a better fit for rideshares. To answer the question, yes - every year there are likely thousands of burners traveling in multi-vehicle convoys to the playa. To try and get in on something like that (either as organizer or participant) is to connect with not only your immediate regional group, but also adjacent or neighboring regions. Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby CaffeineGirl » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Swope904 wrote:
Yes it is a small Car. I am not planing to take a lot in it. Just what I need.

Ah the innocence! Need is such a relative term. My husband and I are now up to an overloaded 32' Class C RV with a trailer, and an SUV/staff car. For a 4 person camp with two of the members in tents. Of course, there is the espresso machine and everything to support it, a few mobile art pieces, pyro gear......
CaffeineGirl

Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Postby Swope904 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:14 pm

trilobyte wrote:I'm giving this a nudge over to the Share Resources board, since that's a better fit for rideshares. To answer the question, yes - every year there are likely thousands of burners traveling in multi-vehicle convoys to the playa. To try and get in on something like that (either as organizer or participant) is to connect with not only your immediate regional group, but also adjacent or neighboring regions. Good luck!

Why the nudge? This isn't a ride share? This talking to people about trying to trip together and get information. Im not giving anyone a ride so I think it would be pretty off topic in their dont you think?

CaffeineGirl wrote:
Swope904 wrote:

Ah the innocence! Need is such a relative term. My husband and I are now up to an overloaded 32' Class C RV with a trailer, and an SUV/staff car. For a 4 person camp with two of the members in tents. Of course, there is the espresso machine and everything to support it, a few mobile art pieces, pyro gear......

Lol wow. Well If I was loaded too I would buy an RV and Trailer and SUV and all this other stuff for just a couple of people too. But seeing is how Im just a blue color average joe when it comes to my finical life thats not a option. But thats good for you.

No "Just What I Need" means just what you need. Food. Water. Shelter. and a bike.
Swope904

Postby trilobyte » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:28 pm

No I don't. Offering or looking for rides, planning convoys, and other shared travel planning all falls under the umbrella of ride shares, and belongs on the Share Resources board.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Swope904 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:41 pm

trilobyte wrote:No I don't. Offering or looking for rides, planning convoys, and other shared travel planning all falls under the umbrella of ride shares, and belongs on the Share Resources board.

Im not planning on sharing any resources so I don't understand how that would go under that topic? The topic this is involved is transportation to and from an event. nothing is being shared during that time? just driving together...
Swope904

Postby trilobyte » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:56 pm

You seem to think that your thread being on this particular board signifies something bad, or takes away from your plan... which it doesn't. It also doesn't mean that you (or anybody else in your convoy) would need to give anybody a ride. This board is used for all manner of resource sharing and collaboration planning. Relax, it's in the right spot.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Elliot » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:02 pm

:D
It's also not horribly important, Sean. Me, for example, I glance at all new threads by using the "View New Posts" feature. I have that on a "Bookmark", and go straight there to glance down the list of threads, without paying much attention to what sub-forum it is in. I am under the impression many of us do that. So no worries.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Swope904 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Yeah thats fine. Im not even gonna worry about it any more trilobyte. And yeah I hear you Elliot. I myself and pretty familiar with the stand form layout and how to across quick features. Just didn't understand the logic behind switching it. no big deal :)
Swope904

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Swope904 wrote:
CaffeineGirl wrote:
Swope904 wrote:

Lol wow. Well If I was loaded too I would buy an RV and Trailer and SUV and all this other stuff for just a couple of people too. But seeing is how Im just a blue color average joe when it comes to my finical life thats not a option. But thats good for you.

Ah, classism on eplaya... When you say you're "blue color, is that a lack of oxygen?
Seriously, Swope, one of the great things about the burn is that there's a mixing of classes. Sure, the really poor cannot attend, and the billionaires may not mix with us, but it's still more of a mix than many other situations in which you might find yourself. And blue collars get a lot of respect on playa, because they build lots of cool shit.
And it's true, some people do find that year after year, they bring more to do more.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Swope904 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:28 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Ah, classism on eplaya... When you say you're "blue color, is that a lack of oxygen?
Seriously, Swope, one of the great things about the burn is that there's a mixing of classes. Sure, the really poor cannot attend, and the billionaires may not mix with us, but it's still more of a mix than many other situations in which you might find yourself. And blue collars get a lot of respect on playa, because they build lots of cool shit.
And it's true, some people do find that year after year, they bring more to do more.

I guess your right buddy. I mean I like the mixing of different people. And I am fully for people during their burn their way. I get that. It just seemed off topic and out of place.
Swope904

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:42 pm

On eplaya threads don't merely drift, they are torn downstream in raging torrents.

The good thing about all these apparently useless posts, is that they keep this thread near the top of the subforum, so it's seen by the people who need to see it.

Some would say that there are educational benefits to you as well, but the science is a bit hazy.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:48 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:On eplaya threads don't merely drift, they are torn downstream in raging torrents.

Anyone need a sig?

New sig, no waiting.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Swope904 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:59 pm

haha right on crypto. yeah I guess that is a good thing as well.
Swope904

Postby Canoe » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:03 pm

CaffeineGirl wrote:Ah the innocence! Need is such a relative term. My husband and I are now up to an overloaded 32' Class C RV with a trailer, and an SUV/staff car. For a 4 person camp with two of the members in tents. Of course, there is the espresso machine and everything to support it, a few mobile art pieces, pyro gear......

Minimalist
https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic ... 08#p915408
For the record, that wasn't by choice. Borrowed car. My car & dedicated BM trailer was back in the prairies.

Does a convoy help in taking 95 through Pershing? Like the wildebeasts getting across the river full of crocodiles, they can only catch so many?
Or is that my evil twin talking...
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Swope904 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:20 pm

you sir Canoe are a badass.

are you... bear grylls? jk lol ;)
Swope904

Postby CaffeineGirl » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Wow. I am amazed to learn that taking a lot of stuff to burning man = being wealthy. I am sure the folks on this board who take, among other things, gigantic school buses loaded with bicycles and infrastructure will be glad to learn that. Burners tend to be scroungers, and hard work and creativity are often much more the case than throwing $.

Was just trying to say that perspectives change over the years for what you need and want to take, and the car of gear you take the first year may be way too small by second year. First year usually is really minimalist, with just basic camping gear and food for you and a friend or two. Then you see things, get ideas, get involved with other people and things grow. The commercial, two head, espresso machine we take was purchased for $125 on ebay and has provided shots to thousands of burners over the years. Does dealing with power, water, a structure to put it on, etc. take a lot of space? Hell yes. Would I leave it at home? No way.

And we usually convoy with two or three other vehicles for the one day trip to BRC. As noted by others, it works best when all of the vehicles are about the same size/weight.
CaffeineGirl

Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:28 pm

Hell, taking a lot of stuff to Burning Man is one of the biggest reasons I'm not wealthy!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Swope904 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:01 pm

CaffeineGirl wrote:Wow. I am amazed to learn that taking a lot of stuff to burning man = being wealthy. I am sure the folks on this board who take, among other things, gigantic school buses loaded with bicycles and infrastructure will be glad to learn that. Burners tend to be scroungers, and hard work and creativity are often much more the case than throwing $.

Was just trying to say that perspectives change over the years for what you need and want to take, and the car of gear you take the first year may be way too small by second year. First year usually is really minimalist, with just basic camping gear and food for you and a friend or two. Then you see things, get ideas, get involved with other people and things grow. The commercial, two head, espresso machine we take was purchased for $125 on ebay and has provided shots to thousands of burners over the years. Does dealing with power, water, a structure to put it on, etc. take a lot of space? Hell yes. Would I leave it at home? No way.

And we usually convoy with two or three other vehicles for the one day trip to BRC. As noted by others, it works best when all of the vehicles are about the same size/weight.

No, I take back what I said. Your right. I had an off day. didn't come out like it should have. and yeah convoying with suvs and cars would be better then to mix match with rvs etc.
Swope904

Postby BBadger » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:57 pm

Swope904 wrote:No, I take back what I said. Your right. I had an off day. didn't come out like it should have. and yeah convoying with suvs and cars would be better then to mix match with rvs etc.

Give me a break dude. You still don't "get it." Do you feel somehow tainted that you share a playa with all those RVs too? How do you even get a good night sleep at Burning Man with this lame level of wealth-resentment?

Do you know what is the best part about hanging out at Burning Man with people-in-RVs or other "white-collar rich folk"? That I don't even know they're "rich" (as if an RV implies such). Most of that is because they never feel the need to remind me about my "place" in the world. Hell, unless I've followed them back to their temporary homes, I would not even know what status they supposedly have in the "default world."

The people who protest too loudly are the insecure, wealth-resentment losers. They're the ones feeling superior because they're bringing in jack-shit for themselves. They're the ones equating suffering to piety. They're the ones claiming "them" and "us" instead of "we." They're the ones pretending to be pious and humble, while telling me about it.

It gets really old. It also gets old on ePlaya.

Swope904 wrote:Lol wow. Well If I was loaded too I would buy an RV and Trailer and SUV and all this other stuff for just a couple of people too. But seeing is how Im just a blue color average joe when it comes to my finical life thats not a option. But thats good for you.

No "Just What I Need" means just what you need. Food. Water. Shelter. and a bike.

"Just What I Need." Right.

Do you ever ask your other "blue collar" friends about what they think about your participation at Burning Man? This guy who enjoys such privilege and luxury that he can waste an entire week to drive out to literally the middle of nowhere, pack everything he needs in his car (and pack it out) only to have it wrecked by the elements -- and to pay $400 for that privilege just to get past the gates. And for what? Just to enjoy some art festival where people burn stuff, wreck their gear in a harsh environment, drink and lounge about, give away lights and food and drink, and drive around decorated cars?

Honestly, what kind of elitist asshole hangs out with this kind of crowd? A crowd comprising a bunch of parasite hippies living out of tents. Rich folk with RVs, planes, hex-yurts, and art cars they haul in on trailers. Douchebag kid ravers listening to techno and trance. Dancing weirdos from California staying up all night. People who build shit out of expensive lumber and materials just to burn it at the end of a week. People who waste gas on their mobile castles and ships just to drive at 5mph looking at a desert. The fucking rich people who can build a city out of nothing, and wipe it away after it's all over. We might as well be talking about rich assholes who go to the ISS to spend a week looking down on Earth.

Really, who the hell are you to arrogantly pretend that you're not also some elitist fuck who has means to go enjoy something totally, and outrageously wasteful, expensive, and totally out of balance with what "normal people" do with their money and spare time?

If you're not an elitist fuck, then why is everyone else?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Swope904 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:32 am

okay buddy
Swope904

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:21 am

i'm totally an elitist fuck, a social darwinist, and i eat babies.

so sue me.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:22 am

[media]
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby EspressoDude » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:17 am

I tend to think of the RV that we rent (with blue collar dollars) for Burning Man as a box truck with some amenities.
How much can it haul. If loaded correctly they can carry a lot of coffee, water, and camo net. Ford V-10.
Trailer full of camp structure, fire art, and bicycles.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Next

Return to 2014 Share Resources