Gym/crossfit camp?

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Gym/crossfit camp?

Postby tevo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:33 pm

In previous years I've found a camp with a full set of weights, squat racks, etc but I can't remember who it was. Likewise, I remember a camp a few years back where they did WODs at various times. Again, no memory of who it was. Does anyone know of anyone with a similar setup this year? I searched but can't find anything and I'd like to get at least a couple workouts in during the week. Thanks!
tevo

Burning Since: 2010

Re: Gym/crossfit camp?

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:39 pm

Why don't you build it yourself? Radical self-reliance and all that.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby FossaFerox » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:00 pm

There's the Pink Gym (my buddy won one of their contests last year), but I don't think they do WOD stuff...
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby tevo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:36 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Why don't you build it yourself? Radical self-reliance and all that.

Given the difficulties of interpreting interwebs communication I'm not sure if this was intended as sarcasm or not, but I suppose one could say that about every camp or whathaveyou one frequents or uses on the playa. Obviously none of us out there are completely self reliant. When I volunteered helping out burners who got sick or hurt we certainly didn't chastise them for not bringing their own medics--though we did mock some of the sparkleponies who thought we were there forwhenever they wanted to cool down in the AC.

As for a gym--that sort of thing is a pretty resource intensive endeavour. A full gym requires a little more space to bring out than I'm able to devote to it. So I'm hoping there's one out there. If not it's not a critical concern--I can run, do bodyweight squats, and I'll probably bring a kettlebell. That's unfortunately about as self reliant as I can be this burn with respect to a gym.
tevo

Postby tevo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:19 pm

FossaFerox wrote:There's the Pink Gym (my buddy won one of their contests last year), but I don't think they do WOD stuff...

The Pink gym! Come to think of it--I think that's the one I was in before! Thanks!
tevo

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:03 pm

tevo wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:Why don't you build it yourself? Radical self-reliance and all that.

Given the difficulties of interpreting interwebs communication I'm not sure if this was intended as sarcasm or not, but I suppose one could say that about every camp or whathaveyou one frequents or uses on the playa. Obviously none of us out there are completely self reliant. When I volunteered helping out burners who got sick or hurt we certainly didn't chastise them for not bringing their own medics--though we did mock some of the sparkleponies who thought we were there forwhenever they wanted to cool down in the AC.

As for a gym--that sort of thing is a pretty resource intensive endeavour. A full gym requires a little more space to bring out than I'm able to devote to it. So I'm hoping there's one out there. If not it's not a critical concern--I can run, do bodyweight squats, and I'll probably bring a kettlebell. That's unfortunately about as self reliant as I can be this burn with respect to a gym.

eplaya has a long standing tradition of promoting "do-ocrasy" at the burn, often by asking "Why not you?" Think of us as a combination of the LIttle Red Hen and Rosie the Riviter...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tevo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:13 pm

Oh I get that and generally agree.
tevo

Postby sunhorse » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:10 pm

I would love to help get a group together to get a good workout in while on the playa. Maybe not everyday, but I want to stay active. We can then push and encourage each other. When I travel I usually find ways to do body weight exercise at cardio speeds.
sunhorse

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: HeeBeeGeeBeeHealers

Return to 2014 Theme Camps