Black Rock Hardware Shoppe - 8:30 & Rod's Road

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Black Rock Hardware Shoppe - 8:30 & Rod's Road

Postby marc17 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Black Rock City Hardware Shoppe shall return for our 14th year since our founding in 1999 and can be found around 8:30 and Rod’s Road in 2014. We’re a fix-it shop servicing the community with an assortment of nuts, bolts, fasteners, solvents, and tools for use in attempts to repair or built art, camp structures, strange devices, generators, and anything else that no longer functions as desired on the playa. We’ll have a drill press, band saw and various other power tools such as drills, circular saws, and angle grinders. Hand tools of all sorts are also available including bike tools for self help by owner. Some sewing instruments for cloth and leather. We should have some sort of air compressor for tires as well as an inflator for air mattresses. A collection of tools for use on bikes by owner. We can also free yellow bikes found chained up.

Most tools are for our use in our shop unless we give permission and safety instructions*. Lending of tools is done, but anyone wishing to borrow a tool and take it back to their camp can expect to be required to leave something behind: their real world wallet or ID, something of value we will be ok with in keeping if the tool doesn’t come back, campmate as hostage, etc.)

We are generally open from the time we get up till sundown, Sunday through Friday before the burn.

We will not have a welder, but we usually keep a list of people who do and can send you their way.

*Safety may be third, but it is still on the list.
marc17

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Hardware Shoppe

Re: Black Rock Hardware Shoppe - 8:30 & Rod's Road

Postby The_Sheik » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:50 pm

Can you use a donated coffee can of mixed hardware like unsorted nuts, bolts, and screws?
The_Sheik

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp The 'Burbs 3:15 & E

Postby Ashtar » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi Marc,

We're the MacGyvers' Union and we'll be almost neighbors on 7:45 and Cinnamon. We're a support and social camp for fixers and handyfolk, and while we dream of eventually providing a tool shop, this year we're community building. :)

We'd love to be able to list your camp as a resource for union members, if that's cool with you. You can find out more about us on our website.

Looking forward to seeing you in the dust! :D
Image ...accept the fact that this city is headed for a disaster of Biblical proportions. -- Dr Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters
Ashtar

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: MacGyvers' Union

Postby marc17 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:25 pm

Thanks to both of you that posted.

We usually don't take donations as we can (and have) easily gathered hundreds of pounds of stuff more than we brought that we take back with us. That being said there are always some things we are usually looking for (like fine threaded metric bolts from motorcycles as they usually fit bikes also) and weird and exotic hardware. Coffee cans of random stuff however would just get dumped in our "hope bin" of similarly random stuff that is already too heavy for a single person to move.

Love to hear and meet the MacGyver's union. We are currently members of Union 447 but work well with others.

I meant to come back here and keep posting tips and tricks, but got sick and spent some time in the hospital. Now it's all about packing.
marc17

Postby marc17 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:30 pm

White Lightning wax based bike lube works wonders on the playa not only for bikes, but also for zippers on tents, clothes, and boots.
marc17

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:48 am

You guys need a welder? There's a guy offering his help in this thread: https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=71134
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby gaminwench » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:35 pm

You guys fixed the God phone several years back ... THANK YOU!!!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby marc17 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:06 pm

We do not usually bring a welder out to the playa because both we don't feel like welding, and because there is usually plenty of other welders out there that do. We do reach out to those welders, find out where they are and send people their way if they want us to. Bikes, art cars, other broken stuff, there is always a need for welding on the playa.
marc17

Postby marc17 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:07 pm

If people have rebar, we can both cut and candy can it at our camp for you. We have a limited supply of rebar stakes for people, but with this year's wind, we might use most of them for our own camp.
marc17

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:04 am

Been going 3 years and it didnt occur to me that there would be a camp like this. Knew of bike repair camps, but not a straight hardware camp. VERY good to know, as bolts from my cot occasionally loosen & get lost, or if we're a bolt or two short on our geo-dome (we're not, but if we hadnt done the test build we wouldnt have known to buy more!). Awesome service -- thanks guys.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby ACfromSAC » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:20 am

marc17 wrote:We can also free yellow bikes found chained up.

YES.
ACfromSAC

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Postby DoodleMatrix » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:53 am

Hey,

It was my first burn this year and my friend Rachel and I got stuck in the cue when it started raining, we were parked next to Captain Howdy, his lovely wife Nessa and their noble stallion "The Goat". We had a great time in that near 24 hour wait period in the mud and would love to keep in touch with them both however due to the chaotic nature of the Playa and a dead battery in the line up we never ended up grabbing their contact details, I was wondering if somebody here could pass on my username to either of them to get in touch? failing that please contact me via message and I will pass on my email address to be passed onto them.

I, Patrick aka Doodle as the playa hath decreed, did make a stop into the hardware shoppe during the festival, used one of your air pumps and had my t-shirt signed (totally not russian by the way bro who signed my shirt :P) while swapping addresses, and after Howdy and Ness dropped in to say a quick hello we realised we had again missed out on a valuable opportunity to trade contacts.

anyway, if somebody could help out with this it would be magical, thanks a bunch

peace out, and keep up the "hard" work…ahhhhh see what I did there?
DoodleMatrix

Burning Since: 2014

Return to 2014 Theme Camps