3:00 Neighborhood Camps

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

3:00 Neighborhood Camps

Postby trilobyte » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:07 pm

Alright, what camps (registered or otherwise) are planning on camping in the 2:30ish to 4ish range on the dial? Yes, we realize that all locations are approximate, and accurate to within half a block in any given direction for placed camps. Tell us about where you've been placed, or where you're aiming to camp in the neighborhood if you're not a placed theme camp. This thread is for camps to announce their locations and intentions (not for recruiting, posting lineups and schedules, or other stuff you can tell us in your own camp thread)… tell us who you are, meet your neighbors!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: 3:00 Neighborhood Camps

Postby misfit » Thu May 01, 2014 9:40 am

3:45 and C wish you were here camp and possibly the ESD burbs...............
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby jeremedia » Thu May 01, 2014 4:03 pm

This is a good idea Trilobyte! We're OKNOTOK, a group out of westside Los Angeles of about 25. If we're placed we'll hopefully be on the corner of 3 and F-ish, if not placed we'll find space on 3:30 probably around H+ (where we've been for the past five years).

New this year is the Corner Stage, a small neighborhood venue open to anyone to book time on, with support from a Stage Manager, and the Treehouse, a 12 foot tower with seating for 10, seen in the rendering below without the floor/seating included.

BM 2013

BEquinox 2014 (LA regional)

BM 2014
jeremedia

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: EXPEDITION OKNOTOK

Postby fernley1 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:18 pm

Loved walking by the disco ball at night.
So cool.
fernley1

Burning Since: 2013

Postby jeremedia » Thu May 01, 2014 4:44 pm

Thanks Fernley. The Disco Tower is now on its side serving as a long (if a little high) workbench for fabricating the new Treehouse components. Adaptive reuse! I've come to think of Burning Man as a madness-themed craft show.

jeremedia

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 01, 2014 6:09 pm

Great pics, I love the structure design!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby jeremedia » Fri May 02, 2014 12:40 am

trilobyte wrote:Great pics, I love the structure design!

Dude, thanks. That means a lot coming from you, given what you and your team bring forth.

Our original structure was framed with aluminum pipes. Two years ago I moved to a wood frame, still using the same 12'x12' shade panels. That wood frame was held together with Simpson Strong Ties and many braces, which resulted in waaaay too much on-playa drilling, especially for a non-placed camp.

Last year I had fabricated 6-way brackets that accept 4x4s, and they're great. No rebar, no ropes, no digging. Each bracket is 50 pounds, and each of 12 foot 4x4s are around 35 pounds. The structure stands against the winds with about 1000 pounds of downforce, but can be assembled by two with no tools. Aside from ladders.

Thinking about / working on this stuff is what the event is for me after ten years: a year-long motivation to explore construction and design techniques for which I have no real application outside the event (yet). The playa puts challenging, contrasting pressures on builds: temporary but interesting, strong but simple, reusable but affordable, big but storable. It's fun developing my understandings of tools, materials, and processes to better confront such unusual challenges. It must be quite a thing to be reviewing all the placement applications with the intent of programming a city-size venue to maximize the activated, unknowable experience of attendance. So damn cool that such a thing is happening at all. A venue of venues. A true bonkers fiesta.
jeremedia

Postby The_Sheik » Fri May 02, 2014 6:54 am

3:00 ESD camp, but if it fills up before I get my reservation in, 9:00 ESD camp.
KE5QOT
The_Sheik

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD sub-Camp 3 "The 'Burbs"

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sat May 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Destiny Lounge Lite will be returning this year, hopefully in the area of 3:30 - 4 and C or D. We are a placed "other" camp full of various volunteers and an honorarium artist and crew. Even though we aren't a full on theme camp this year, we will as always have some comfy couches and futons and will be offering Free Blowjobs for all willing passersby once again this year, male and female. We may even see a return of one of our giant games, Rock Yer Balls, last seen on playa in 2011. I'd like to get one more use out of it before it totally rots in my yard. See you all soon, neighbors!
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby Monkeystyle » Sun May 04, 2014 2:12 am

you might see bloody Mary's being served in the area... 8)
Monkeystyle

Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Postby atalebiz » Mon May 05, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi,

Is your camp available to add members? I am with 2 other women looking for a camp. We live in Los Angeles and can help with prepping before the burn - and of course during the burn.

Kindly advise when possible.

Amy
atalebiz

Burning Since: 2013

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon May 05, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi there, Amy. If that question was directed at me, I must politely decline your offer. We are going fairly small this year and will only be taking on vetted past members or their immediate friends. Perhaps if we ever stage a comeback or even create a new theme camp, we will be looking for some new faces. Thanks for the offer.

atalebiz wrote:Hi,

Is your camp available to add members? I am with 2 other women looking for a camp. We live in Los Angeles and can help with prepping before the burn - and of course during the burn.

Amy
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby Peritwinkle » Tue May 06, 2014 2:35 pm

Hoping to be at 3:01 and D again......
Serving fine wine, champagne, cocktails and more!
309465_274830775875673_1748243432_n.jpg
309465_274830775875673_1748243432_n.jpg (8.02 KiB) Viewed 2735 times

1794553_826619637363448_2036931200_n.jpg
Peritwinkle

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A - Peritwinkle's venue

Postby Monkeystyle » Tue May 06, 2014 9:51 pm

Peritwinkle wrote:Hoping to be at 3:01 and D again......
Serving fine wine, champagne, cocktails and more!

If we get 3:00 again I might have to make a walk up to see you guys.... :D
Monkeystyle

Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Bad Idea Theater

Postby psylentlarry » Mon May 12, 2014 12:46 pm

We're working on resurrecting Bad Idea Theater. Hoping to return to our old haunt in 3:00 Plaza.

Same old schtick; open bar, + crazy movies after dark.
psylentlarry

Burning Since: 1995
Camp Name: Bad Idea Theater

Postby kittyrodriguez » Tue May 13, 2014 6:05 pm

TexasRick wrote:3:00 ESD camp, but if it fills up before I get my reservation in, 9:00 ESD camp.

Hey TR! We'll be at Station 3 too! I'll be the Sat., Sun., Mon., placement concierge/liaison.
kittyrodriguez

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Re: Bad Idea Theater

Postby jeremedia » Tue May 13, 2014 6:11 pm

psylentlarry wrote:We're working on resurrecting Bad Idea Theater. Hoping to return to our old haunt in 3:00 Plaza.

Great news! A late night screening of Wizard People, Dear Readers once really hurt my face with laughter.
jeremedia

Postby DaVinci » Thu May 15, 2014 8:58 pm

Vines Without Borders is a new camp this year aiming for the3:30 area.
http://www.vineswithoutborders.com

Vines Without Borders (Vines) is a global wine bar and lounge inviting guests and wines from around the world to convene for an unforgettable burn. Whether you’re an enophile (lover of wine) or a neophile (lover of new things) Vines is the first ‘port of call’ on your Caravansary journey. Our inviting venue features a lively lounge furnished with vintage couches and chairs, illuminated with LED lighting, showcasing a sleek LED back-lit bar designed and built especially for this burn. The Vines international wine theme is our unifying principle for global community and festivity.

We will craft an intimate, interactive experience that provides opportunity for people from everywhere to drop in and enjoy discovering others on a deeper level, making connections that survive beyond the week. And, we are offering wine each night from a different region of the world.

We are looking for people to join our camp, especially people from outside the United States to help build our Without Borders experience. Contact me through our website or through ePlaya.
DaVinci

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Vines Without Borders

Postby missmelee » Fri May 16, 2014 7:38 am

DaVinci wrote:Vines Without Borders is a new camp this year aiming for the3:30 area.

Vines Without Borders (Vines) is a global wine bar and lounge inviting guests and wines from around the world to convene for an unforgettable burn. Whether you’re an enophile (lover of wine) or a neophile (lover of new things) Vines is the first ‘port of call’ on your Caravansary journey. Our inviting venue features a lively lounge furnished with vintage couches and chairs, illuminated with LED lighting, showcasing a sleek LED back-lit bar designed and built especially for this burn. The Vines international wine theme is our unifying principle for global community and festivity.

We will craft an intimate, interactive experience that provides opportunity for people from everywhere to drop in and enjoy discovering others on a deeper level, making connections that survive beyond the week. And, we are offering wine each night from a different region of the world.

We are looking for people to join our camp, especially people from outside the United States to help build our Without Borders experience. Contact me through our website or through ePlaya.

I like this wine bar idea! If we are able to make it to your camp to enjoy some of your wines, can we bring some unique wines to donate/contribute to your collection?
missmelee

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Back Burner

Postby DaVinci » Fri May 16, 2014 4:59 pm

missmelee wrote:
DaVinci wrote:Vines Without Borders is a new camp this year aiming for the3:30 area.

I like this wine bar idea! If we are able to make it to your camp to enjoy some of your wines, can we bring some unique wines to donate/contribute to your collection?

missmelee, thank you for the kind comment. Of course, you are invited to bring some wines to share, that is precisely our hope. We will provide many great wines but hope the community will bring some to share as well.
DaVinci

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Vines Without Borders

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sat May 17, 2014 7:27 am

psylentlarry wrote:We're working on resurrecting Bad Idea Theater. Hoping to return to our old haunt in 3:00 Plaza.

Had a great time with you guys out at YOUtopia - somebody poured their heart into great subtitles of a hilariously bad Spanish-language sci-fi/romance.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby The_Sheik » Mon May 19, 2014 8:25 pm

Well, kittierodriguez, due to a computer glitch, I got aced out of the Station 3 ESD camp sign up which filled up in less than 90 minutes. It looks like I will instead camp in the adjacent no-frills ESD camp, AKA "The 'Burbs". Of course I might get a slot in Station 3 camp if there are enough cancels or no pays but I'm #24 in the stand-by list. But what the heck, it's all good. Might even be nicer, seeing that my RV trailer is self contained and I have a generator if I need it for air conditioner, but I'm going to try and get day shifts in order to sleep during the cool nights after the requisite running around.
KE5QOT
The_Sheik

Camp Name: ESD sub-Camp 3 "The 'Burbs"

Postby TryptaNim » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:23 pm

I had a great time with you guys at Bequinox the year before last! How are things shaping up for this year? Is there anything you need help with? Hope to see you all on the Playa.
Waiting until I can think of a good 1...
TryptaNim

Postby RICKSAX1 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:20 pm

Ahoy Amy...

Camp Gallavant, home of the Pirates of the Playa, the Arrgh Bar and the Mutant Vehicle, USS Nevada, always welcomes new wenches and pirates...still looking for a playa home?

---Navigator RICK

Camp Gallavant
(http://www.rickmetz.com/Site/Camp_Gallavant.html)
USS Nevada {Mutant Vehicle}
(http://www.rickmetz.com/Site/USS_Nevada.html)
Picture Page
(http://www.rickmetz.com/Site/BM_Pix/BM_Pix.html)
Camp Gallavant Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/182847903250/

www.RickMetz.com
www.facebook.com/Navigator RICK

[quote="atalebiz"]Hi,

Amy[/quote]
RICKSAX1

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:37 am

Amy
Send a private message if you want to be sure they get it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:48 am

Just a friendly reminder - this thread is not intended for recruiting campmates. It's for camps to share a bit about who they are, so that people who might be camping in that neighborhood know what kind of awesome stuff is nearby. Camps are more than welcome to start a thread (if they don't have one already) and post more details and pics, as well as to recruit campmates and members.

That said, woohoo for Gallavant and the incredibly awesome USS Nevada!
trilobyte
Site Admin

OMG you guys! PLACEMENT!!

Postby Jovankat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:56 pm

I *JUST* got the email. Flamingos FTW will be at 2:45 and B!

Where's everyone else?!

Squeeee so much excitement!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: OMG you guys! PLACEMENT!!

Postby Sunbeam56 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:59 pm

Me too!!!!!
WOO HOO! :) :) :)
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Re: OMG you guys! PLACEMENT!!

Postby Jovankat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:01 pm

Yay! Where are you?
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Postby Jovankat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Also I'm happy to say that New York Dangerous who you may remember had some trouble with their village falling apart has joined forces with Flamingos and will be coexisting with us on our 150x150 plot.
Jovankat

Next

Return to 2014 Theme Camps