2:00 & 10:00 Neighborhood Camps

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

2:00 & 10:00 Neighborhood Camps

Postby trilobyte » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:06 pm

Alright, who's bringing the noise, or is brave enough to camp near all that wattage? For the new folks, 2:00 and 10:00 are where all the large scale sound installations are placed - but there are a lot of mutant vehicle and big art support camps and other hidden gems tucked into the edges of Black Rock City.

Yes, we realize that all locations are approximate, and accurate to within half a block in any given direction for placed camps. Tell us about where you've been placed, or where you're aiming to camp in the neighborhood if you're not a placed theme camp. This thread is for camps to announce their locations and intentions (not for recruiting, posting lineups and schedules, or other stuff you can tell us in your own camp thread)… tell us who you are, meet your neighbors!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: 2:00 & 10:00 Neighborhood Camps

Postby The Coffee Kid » Thu May 01, 2014 9:57 pm

Oh! Hey! I'm, I guess dumb enough or crazy enough to say I put 2:00 as my 1st placement choice. No really I had a huge inner draw to 2:00 last Burn so I figured it would be really great to camp there. Ya I know it's loud but it's amazing how well I (and I hope we) can just adjust to the Environment.
Our camp is called Electric Gypsy Coffee Oasis and we will be serving coffee and coffee drinks in the morning and evening. We are a small group of people from the US and Europe who really enjoy coffee thus created our camp. We are registered and of course hoping for placement.
Well Trilobyte I like your posts (which are many) and I don't usually feel like posting (sort of shy about it ). But I am really excited to take part in creating a camp this year!
So thanks for being my first..... p0st : D :coffee:
The Coffee Kid

Camp Name: Electric Gypsy Coffee Oasis

Postby trilobyte » Fri May 02, 2014 9:12 am

Thanks, and welcome to ePlaya! Your camp sounds great, I wish you guys luck with placement! Seems like an excellent spot for a caffeine boost, either for those wanting to stay up later to dance the night away at the big camps on 2, or those eager to get up and moving in the morning as they check out a magical sunrise set.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:25 pm

I'm hearing that Digital Apex camp will be back this year, and they're building an impressive and monstrous new stage set that's got lots and lots of fire... they've shared that they've been placed at 10:00 & B
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Jovankat » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:16 am

Can someone explain the difference in vibe between 10:00 and 2:00? I was camped at 9:45 last year and will be at 2:45 this year. I didn't really make it past 3ish last year and I'm not really big into the sound camps anyway. I have seen a couple of joke maps with 10:00 being labelled "ravers" and 2:00 labelled "drunks" which makes me think that the style of music might differ, is 2:00 less electronicy/dancey? I've also seen more listings of big sound camps on the 10:00 side which makes me wonder if the 2:00 folks are less self promotional or less organised :P Any insight would be appreciated :)
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:38 am

Jovankat wrote:Can someone explain the difference in vibe between 10:00 and 2:00?

The 2:00 side is dustier?

This is mostly my anecdotal experience comparing the 9:00 and 3:00 keyholes from evening to evening - 3:00 seemed to have larger and larger dunes as the week progressed.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Jovankat » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:42 am

Yeah I've heard that side of the city is worse for dust, super looking forward to that this year! :shock:

But really what I'm wondering about it a the vibe of the neighbourhood and the kind of crowd that side of the city gets compared to 10:00.
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:43 am

it's an east coast-west coast thing.

you wouldn't understand. :twisted:
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Jovankat » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:46 am

Which one is supposed to be east and which one is west then?
Jovankat

Postby lucky420 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:27 am

I think 10:00 is west coast but then again I'm somewhat directionally challenged.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:43 am

which side does the sun set on?

there is your answer.
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby lucky420 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:58 pm

DOH!

Thank you Simon
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Bless » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:53 pm

I'm hearing Camp Questionmark will be at 2:00 and J again this year
FUCK YOU I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU I'M A SHARK.
Bless

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Jovankat » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:57 pm

So you're saying on the 2:00 side people are more uptight, pushy, pessimistic and rude whereas on the 10:00 side they're more laid back, superficial and bigger hippies? And I assume there are more cars on the western side of the city as well? And the beaches are heaps better too yeah?

Here's an answer I got on Reddit that was actually helpful if anyone else is interested. It even talks about music in terms I can understand!

image.jpg
Jovankat

Postby Bless » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:11 pm

Yes, people often say that the more dubstep-heavy bass camps are located on 2:00 whereas the techno/house camps are on 10:00. I haven't necessarily noticed that myself.
FUCK YOU I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU I'M A SHARK.
Bless

Burning Since: 2012

Postby fernley1 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:29 pm

I thought the 2 o'clock side was darker, more bass type music.
People not as dressed up and not as lite up with lights.
fernley1

Burning Since: 2013

Postby HiLife » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:19 am

This is who I know is on each side thus far, regarding sound camps:

Root Society, Disorient, Disco Knights are all over on the 2:00 side.
Opulent Temple & White Ocean are on the 10:00 side and of course Distrikt at 9:00 & G. Nexus is also traditionally over on that side and I know Play)A(Skool is over there and they have parties in camp.

They have placed us, Space Cowboys at 2:30 and Esplanade, so this should be interesting. We don't compete with the big sound camps but we think we have an excuse to rock out in camp now :) We've always been on that side, just not that close to the sound camps. We are hoping there is enough distance between us and Root Society as we are not huge fans of their sound.
HiLife

Camp Name: Space Cowboys

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:31 am

Any anecdotal perceptions about one side being darker or lighter or one genre or another... are just anecdotal personal perceptions and should be taken with huge grains of salt. I don't think I've ever seen a map by musical genre, but from my years in the dust I've found an incredibly wide range of sounds all over the playa. Hell, sometimes it's an incredibly wide range of genres even within the one camp!

The 2:00 and 10:00 spikes (as I call them) are the outer edges of the city. That's where the LSSA (large scale sound art) installation camps are placed, as there aren't really any restrictions on the wattage. They are directed to be mindful of speaker placement (point 'em outward, not in towards the city and to neighbors). Coming away from those two spoke streets on each end of the city, there tends to be more of a restriction on sound.

Further back from Esplanade on the 2:00/10:00 spikes, things will tend to quiet down...or not. In the last few years that's turned out to be where a lot of large mutant vehicle support camps live... Heart Deco/Heart Phoenix, Robot Heart, Charlie The Unicorn, Purgatory Cruiser, the Purple Palace (which I don't believe comes out anymore). Don't expect things to be too quiet, though. Sure, the sound systems further back aren't in the 60Kwatt+ range you find closer in, but are still packing quite a punch. There can be some real gems to discover as you head further back.

Probably the biggest and most notable exception to the large scale sound rule is Distrikt (9:00 & G this year). They do bring a very big sound system, but they're also a daytime party - they typically start running around noonish, and then shut down at sunset. In 2011 my camp was at about 8:55 and G, just two doors down from 9:00 with Distrikt across the street, and we had a great time. Their speakers weren't pointed in our direction, and while we could hear the thump of the bass in the background, nobody in our camp had any trouble sleeping or carrying on a normal conversation. We were part of a pretty great neighborhood, and really enjoyed what seemed like an endless daytime parade of art cars ferrying passengers to and from the biggest daytime bar on Earth. Distrikt (and the Deep End as they were known before that) has been doing it for a long long time, and they seem to have got it down.

I'm also seeing )'(ooligan Alley reporting placement at 2:00 & B. If I remember correctly, they bring a full-on Funktion One sound system all the way from London. I'm not sure what they've got up their sleeve for 2014, but last year they had a big crashed plane setup that looked pretty cool.

Nexus (historically at 10:00 & G and heavy on breaks/dubstep/bass music) is taking 2014 off (part of me is bummed they won't be on the playa, another part of me is glad they're getting a well-deserved break). Hookahdome (historically at 2:00 and near Esplanade and heavy on world music) is also reportedly taking 2014 off (and will also be missed).

Anyone who's interested in the large scale sound camps would be well served to explore both sides of the dial. You'll find completely amazing stuff, and meet completely amazing people on both sides of the city. You'll also pass by camps whose music you don't connect with, but that's no problem. Keep on walking or pedaling, and that will soon change. You should also plan for plenty of deep playa exploration, too. Some of the city's best sound systems are actually fully mobile. They bring the sound to anything from big art installations to random locations out in deep playa and make the magic happen damned near anywhere.

As far as east/west, the BRC city map shows that once again North is approximately where 10:30 would be on the dial. Technically I suppose that would make the 10:00 side west and 2:00 side east... but it could also sort of be a north/south side.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:25 pm

^ITS ALL GOOD^
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Eric » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:47 pm

I encourage people to check out both sides even if they're not into the music. I'm not, but I like to go & be amazed at the sheer scale of what people can drag to the desert, and they usually have some pretty impressive effects going on. We usually go up one block before heading out on a deep playa blinky-light tour, then come back down the other side.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Crockett » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:32 am

Here's a Google Map of Theme Camps at Burning Man 2014! Feel free to add your camp if it's not already listed, or adjust your existing camp location, description, etc.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... 5aPNbgSvFI

Please use the existing layer as I'm going to reserve other layers for BRC services, such as Medical & Ranger stations, ice locations, etc.

Tips for adding your camp:
1) Zoom into the playa easily by searching for "Black Rock City, NV".
2) Place your camp by selecting the pin tool below the search bar and manually place it.
3) Type your full address (e.g. 9:15 & Isfahan).
4) You may need to manually drag your pin back to it's location (Google Maps doesn't handle the :15s and :45s very well).
5) Contact me for any help!
Sincerely Yours,
Crockett!

http://www.facebook.com/FlirtCampSF
Crockett

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Flirt Camp

Postby CindyLou » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:25 pm

2:00 gets labeled as drunks cause we have the Petting Zoo!!!! We'll be at 2:30 & A next to space cowboys!!!!
If everyone gives, no one needs
CindyLou

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Petting Zoo

Return to 2014 Theme Camps