Details on the placement process?

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Re: Details on the placement process?

Postby peyote2004 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:45 am

Sounds like that would have been very cool to see.
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby FossaFerox » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 am

Would have been? Will be. ;)

I've got all the major components. What I'm missing is about $250 worth of plywood, $100 worth of glass, $200 worth of acrylic (thick-wall acrylic tubing is shockingly expensive) to keep the glass safe, and room on the truck to bring it. The ferrofluid is shelf stable so it'll get out there eventually, and like I said, I'm going to bring a few small samples to play with this year. Most likely one of the bigger jars I procured for testing and probably a few small ones to gift.

I just wanted to share since I know I made people curious and I'd hate to not deliver, or worse, expect anyone to care another 18 months.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:40 am

It may seem alien to consider, this being your second year and all, but I'd venture to say at least half of the projects on the playa in any given year took more than a year of planning, prepping, and pooling financial resources. That happens with not just the big stuff, but the smaller projects too. More often than not, it's a marathon and not a sprint - you can make it happen.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby FossaFerox » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:55 am

Oh I have no doubt that the big stuff takes years of prep to put together and make happen. I was confident in my ability to make this a reality this year, but my campmates ultimately came up with a better avenue for our limited resources. I'll make it happen. After all, next year was better. :)
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:39 am

FossaFerox wrote:After all, next year was better. :)

Exactly. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby asr9754 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:29 pm

Alright experts, earlier in this thread some posters suggested: "Provide pictures, videos, diagrams, details, bills of materials, itemized lists, funding sources, schedules, and everything else to "sell" the proposal in the questionnaire..."

I'm working on the online Theme Camp form and I don't see a place to upload photos, videos or other attachments (besides the Camp Layout diagram). Where would placers like to see additional photos or documentation? I want to provide info for them, but I don't want to annoy them with too much. How can I help them help me with a streamlined but thorough application?

Thanks
asr9754

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:49 pm

I think that person was either mistaken, or on the wrong path.

You do want to 'sell' or convey the excitement of your project - but use your words in the spaces provided. Do not drop in a URL to a flickr page or camp web site with "go here to see what we mean" as a cop-out to using your words. The only real image/document you're uploading is the camp layout, and as I think it's explained on the theme camp resource guide, you may want to add a couple pictures to illustrate if the layout is muddy.

When the placement team is meeting as a team, they're at a big table and working from printed copies of questionnaires and the layout page. Sure, there's a computer in the room to access the internet, but not at all convenient or feasible for the team to have to keep manually entering URL's and coming over to huddle over a screen to look at whatever is on the other side. By using your words and keeping all your visuals contained on your camp layout page, you make it easier for the Placement team to review your application and find a place for your camp.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby asr9754 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:08 pm

Thanks kindly,

so would it be appropriate on my Camp Layout upload to have a diagram at the top half of the PDF and a photo or 2 on the lower half of the page? Sort of a "collage"?
asr9754

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:40 pm

Here is the page on the resource guide, what you choose to do is up to you.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Previous

Return to 2014 Theme Camps