Elliot's Bicycle Service & Tap Room

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Re: Elliot's Bicycle Service & Tap Room

Postby Joeln » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:39 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:
sadie wrote:Woohoo!!!

Of all you yahoos that are in these forums (I'm referring to the newbies here) Sadie is the one I think I want to meet the most. Others, well, not so much.

Such a fine diplomat you are, Doc!
Interestingly, my interest has turned around for many of those I initially thought I didn't want to meet.
btw Doc, I'm looking forward to meeting you...
Collapse first and avoid the rush
Joeln

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby Ratty » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:52 pm

Sadie is at G and 5 with camp solomio. Jaybob boy is there too with Camp cosmic casbah. They have a pyramid or 2 with zip line and fish car.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby sadie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:55 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:
sadie wrote:Woohoo!!!

Of all you yahoos that are in these forums (I'm referring to the newbies here) Sadie is the one I think I want to meet the most. Others, well, not so much.

:shock: :oops: :D

I will see you at the M&G Wednesday night!
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!
sadie

Camp Name: Solomio

Postby StevenGoodman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:20 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Just got a call from Elliot ON THE PLAYA!!!!!!!!!!

Someone is parked on the G&5 corner, but there is enough space for the rest of our group going toward H street. 8) 8) 8)

I will fake it when I get there tomorrow morning. Or we could just surround the people on the corner!

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby BurnerFinn » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:59 pm

This kind of bike would be awesome for BM:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recumbent_bicycle

Obviously not a two wheel one but a three wheel one. Would be awesome wheels for slow cruising around the playa, watching art and people...

I'd come with one of those with me if I wasn't flying over from Europe.
BurnerFinn

Burning Since: 2015

Postby Elliot » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Another grand success of Bicycle Service! More after sleep....
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

---------------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!---------------

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:40 pm

Glad you got home safely, Elliot! Vino and I had a great time hanging out with you and the other members of Not a Fucking Camp Camp.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Cranky » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:12 pm

Elliot, BoyScoutGirl,

After all the time on ePlaya, it was great meeting you in person. Another banner year for desert bike repair!

Cheers,

Cranky
Cranky and Sons Bike Repair

Promoting RADIAL self-reliance
Why NOT reinvent the wheel?
Cranky

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Cranky and Sons Bike Repair

Postby gahb13 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Great to meet everyone in person and get in some bike repair time.
gahb13

Burning Since: 2013

Postby chuckularone » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:44 am

I spent 4 hours on Thursday during shop hours and several hours before and after shop hours the rest of the week helping Elliot with his bike repair. It was far more rewarding than I could have expected!

Thank you Elliot for the opportunity!
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE
chuckularone

Postby Elliot » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:44 am

:coffee:
Still not quite awake, but will attempt a Report:

Arriving at the intended location on the 19th, I found a small camp on the corner of G, and quickly established that they were friendlies who did not require much space. Plenty space left for us. To make everything fit, we only had to partly overlap Sunbeam's kitchen in front of my shade structure, which may even have been an improvement.

We wound up being 11 people in our group.
The basic 8 of us were...
Figjam,
Maryanimal,
Sadie,
Sunbeam,
Grey Coyote,
Martini Steve
Kowtow,
Elliot.

Then Chuckularone showed up and turned out to be a superb bicycle mechanic to boot.

And when two young ladies started setting up behind us, they were invited to join us rather than "be outcasts", and thus Laura and Lex became full-fledged campers also, for the total of 11.

In addition, a nice couple filled in the empty spot that was left over in our generally rectangular area, but we saw little of them.

We still had a little bit of open space which we deliberately kept that way to avoid the "tent ghetto" feel.

44 bicycles were lent out, most by prior arrangement.

Countless bicycles were repaired, by up to three mechanics working at once. Huge thanks to all the mechanics!

For the first time, I set out a table with a set of tools for Do-It-Yourself repair 24/7. Not only did I not lose any tools, but I gained some!

Also, several tools were gifted to me in person.

And parts.... Donations of inner-tubes and other parts began months earlier, and continued thru the event. Some of these donations were substantial, representing "real money". On behalf of all the end users, thank you! We did not run out of any of the common size tubes, and we even have a good start on next year's supply. Same with pedals and saddles. It is a great relief that we did not run out of these key parts. Always best to have a surplus.

I did come up short of certain unusual tube sizes and various odd parts. I had neglected to bring tubes for the new 28" tires. And I continue to be surprised by all the skinny (pavement) 700 and similar tires, many of these (and others) with Presta valves. Live and learn.
I did bring 29" tubes, but did not need a single one. But no doubt will in future years, as more of these bikes are sold.

Of special note.... Brought one 26 x 4.0 tube for Beast/Dolomite and needed precisely that one tube. Then the owner gifted me that Beast at the end of the event. Pretty cool.

You may see references to various camp names: Not A Fucking Camp Camp, and Fish Out Of Water Camp, in addition to various versions of Elliot's Nekkid Bicycle Service and Beverage Station Camp. All the same Gang of 11.

Sunbeam served 750 Bacon Tamales. Much praise.

On the Beverage front, we served white wine, beer, ice tea with lemon, lemonade, and water. The wine from 5-liter boxes, the others in aluminum cans (and the water in plastic bottles). Ran out of the lemonade, but otherwise had plenty.
At times we did have a "hostess" to serve beverages, but at other times not, so we need to plan this better next year. To leave a customer thirsty is surely a sin.

Have not counted yet, so don't know how many of the Loaners were lost. But numerous bicycles were donated at the end of the event, so the Loaner fleet can theoretically grow. Trouble is, I can only haul so many! And I want to bring one of my 4-seat pedal cars again. So expect fewer Loaners next year -- the extras being stored for the future.

True to form, Yours Truly went nude at all times in camp, except some chilly early mornings and late evenings. One other mechanic, who worked two or three shifts, likewise worked in the buff. And two of our own campers went nude a bit around camp. Going nude, weather permitting, is simply marvelously comfortable. Going nude also "strikes a blow" for positive forces (like body-acceptance for all) and against negative forces (like moral double-standards), and I hereby invite more nudity in camp.

You may recall that some of my plans for camp features had to be cancelled because of a past health issue. One such feature was a water-misting system. Well, the kitchen had a surplus of water at the end of the week, and I re-purposed this water to an improvised plain-aire Extreme-Misting system, using parts from my bus's shower stall. This was a grand success, with Burners from the whole neighborhood taking advantage thereof.

By "Extreme Misting" I mean that some of the water reached the ground. But scattering of essentially clean water is perfectly legal, so long as we don't put so much water in one spot as to create mud. We even lucked out to have a BLM officer happen by, and he "signed off" on the system so long as there was no soap or other contaminant involved.
And much of the spilled water was soaked up in my rugs. (This made the rugs grotesquely heavy, but I managed to drag them onto the trailer in the end.)
This Extreme Misting must be repeated and expanded!
Renting the water tank and pump from MECO worked splendidly.

I think those are the highlights. Time for a nap.

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:42 am

:D
One more thing:
When not repairing bicycles....

Dawn Patrol, Black Rock City 2014

photo by Marty Looneytunes

Elliot

Postby Ratty » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:04 am

Thank you Elliot for the HUGE service you provided and for just generally being wonderful. We realize what a time and money commitment this is. The people that you have helped appreciate it. (I've heard talk a plenty). Between your GPE and bike repair you didn't leave much personal time. Put out the 'closed' sign and tootle around next year. Let your friends enjoy your smiling face. Or not....In any case, thank you for burning in such a helpful and positive way.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby Sunbeam56 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:08 am

Elliot's Kitchen a/k/a Sunbeam's Tamale Tasterie a/k/a Fish Out of WAter Camp (why use one name?) overlapping Elliot's Bike Repair was serendipitous. We maximized the shade space and acted as a resting and answering service.
People were coming for bicycle repair outside of hours, some were able to help themselves, most not... But Unjonharley was able to teach many to do basic repairs, within his vast knowledge but outside his cranky physical abilities.
Maybe we can combine hostessing with cooking next time?

Im useless with a bike - and was busy in the kitchen. Next time it will be better thought out. The heat source was in the wind and in the way.

We expected to stay and help you tear down, Elliot. But when you decided to stay an extra day, and we could not... We ended up leaving early. I hope you found lots of help - its a big settup.
And its all good. We will be home two days early, to recover for what is going to be a very busy Monday.

And i am very glad you got use out of the water :)
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Postby Elliot » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:49 am

:D

Making Burners happy, one flat tire at the time.

Elliot

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:30 pm

I completely agree with all the above and hope that ALL birgins participate as well as the ones in our non-camp did!!!

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby chuckularone » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:34 pm

FIGJAM wrote:I completely agree with all the above and hope that ALL birgins participate as well as the ones in our non-camp did!!!

Not participating was not an option!

KF4JPE
chuckularone

Postby Savannah » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:42 pm

Eternally grateful for the gift of your Bicycle Service, Elliot, as well as the pleasure of meeting so many ePlayans at once. :wink: I'd like to contribute some tubes next year.

( And I love that new photo of you, but my favorite might still be of you playing a pipe organ naked like the goddamned Phantom of the Opera. :lol: )
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Elliot » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:45 pm

Some of us are not even back to our default abodes yet, but we are already discussing plans for next year. One possibility is going real Theme Camp with placement. Ideally, we would get placed in that same spot. I have noticed that Theme Camp space has been expanding, and "our" spot is next in line for annexation. If that happens without us, we would lose that spot. So I'm thinking we might as well....

I did a Theme Camp with 25 people in 2007, in case you wonder about the difficulty. Even I can do it. :mrgreen:

Elliot

Postby Savannah » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:49 pm

Until I learned on the boards that you were not, I thought you already were a theme camp. :)

I agree that you should go for it. You already are a Theme Camp obviously, and a very good one, you just lack official Placement.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Elliot » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:57 pm

Savannah wrote:...
( And I love that new photo of you, but my favorite might still be of you playing a pipe organ naked like the goddamned Phantom of the Opera. :lol: )

Your wish is my command:

But they are only two old pianos.

And yes, I took the liberty of starting this thread in the Theme Camps section of ePlaya. But I wanted to keep the old location.

Elliot

Postby Jovankat » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:22 pm

I brought American Boyfriend to meet Elliot after he had some negative reactions to his nakeding out on the playa. I thought it would be good for him to meet such an accomplished nakeder. It turned out though that he and GreyCoyote actually had a whole lot of things to talk about. It was pretty cool seeing them both get excited about their shared interests and lovely for GreyCoyote to take the time to give him advice. I hope we can come do a shift or two next year with American Boyfriend fixing bikes and me serving drinks. In the nude of course ;)
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Postby Elliot » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:10 am

Jovankat wrote:I brought American Boyfriend to meet Elliot after he had some negative reactions to his nakeding out on the playa. I thought it would be good for him to meet such an accomplished nakeder. It turned out though that he and GreyCoyote actually had a whole lot of things to talk about. It was pretty cool seeing them both get excited about their shared interests and lovely for GreyCoyote to take the time to give him advice. I hope we can come do a shift or two next year with American Boyfriend fixing bikes and me serving drinks. In the nude of course ;)

This would be awesome!
I want to encourage more folks to enjoy the comfort of going nude, and we can sure use more help running the "shop".
So far we have only Tiahaar as the second nude mechanic, and no nude bartender. With more of us nude, we could incorporate the word "nude" or "nekkid" in the camp name and signage.

We also have more floor-rugs for next year, making it realistic to go barefoot for a few hours. And I expect even more shade. And a second refrigerator. (All because I can.) :D

Elliot

Postby chuckularone » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Hmmm.... I'm going to have to figure out how to get a base tan on my butt...

KF4JPE
chuckularone

Re: Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Beverage Station

Postby Elliot » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:22 pm

About going barefoot.... Shoes are among the most uncomfortable garments invented -- so long as they are not needed for protection against rough ground. I loathe shoes, but usually I need them. This year I finally ventured to go barefoot quite a bit on Playa, and I can report that I wore down ("sand-papered") the skin on my feet to tissue-thickness. But house-slippers worked well, as did dust-proof socks/boot-liners. Mind you, I'm talking about walking on rugs most of the time. But the normal coating of Dust turns even soft rugs into sandpaper.

I also wore gloves most of the time when working with my hands. These are well-fitting "mechanic's gloves", not the stiff and sloppy generic work gloves. Highly recommended. My fingertips have split a few times in the past, and "normal" cuts and bruises are never fun.

Be aware that Loaner Bicycle reservations do not automatically carry over to the next year, so now is not too early to put in requests.

Elliot

Re: Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Beverage Station

Postby Elliot » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:37 pm

chuckularone wrote:Hmmm.... I'm going to have to figure out how to get a base tan on my butt...

Yes, highly recommended. Not only does it protect against sunburn, but "tan lines" look silly. I start in May or June and take a restful "nap" in the sun every mid-morning, maybe 20 minutes on each side. Sometimes I read, but mostly I just let my mind rest -- specially since I learned a little about meditation. Thus the time is not wasted.

Of course, it helps to have a location where neighbors will not take offense at seeing us sunbathe. This may seem a problem for some city-dwellers. But fact is; most people are so busy with their own worries they have no interest in us or our activities! Thus, they are impossible to offend.

Elliot

Postby GreyCoyote » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:52 pm

When mud made wearing shoes impossible, I ditched the shoes for a day. For me this is an extreme rarity. I ALWAYS wear shoes as I dont have a lot of feeling in my feet and toes (FWIW, I broke my middle toe in the hotel the day before arrival. For most folks this is pretty crippling. For me it was just a damned nuisance. I still managed a few miles to see the Man, Embrace, etc. So sometimes reduced sensation is handy!)

The playa mud did an amazing thing: for my feet: in Texas, its 100f and 95% humidity. Everyone that works outside and sweats gets athletes foot in the summer. But after a day in the mud mine was gone! Yay! The only down side is the skin got pretty thin from abrasion, but the remaining skin is healthy, pink and happy.

Playa majick!
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Re: Elliot's Nakend Bicycle Service & Beverage Station

Postby Elliot » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:40 pm

All my skin is healthy, pink and happy. :lol:

Elliot

Postby chuckularone » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:49 pm

I wear shoes are little as possible in the default. For some reason, I wasn't comfortable going barefoot on the playa. I need to work out a happy medium for the playa next year.

KF4JPE
chuckularone

Postby Tiahaar » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:27 pm

Was great fun helping out at the bike shop, Elliot! Glad to meet a bunch of good folks there, loved your cream sodas, got gifted a bacon tamale from a person whose bike I fixed, yums (who had received two from the kitchen next door), I enjoyed the crazy bike breakdown stories immensely and will always remember your reaction to the $75 frankenbike with the 20"/26" wheels that one kid brought in heheh :D Looking forward to next year!
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

PreviousNext

Return to 2014 Theme Camps