Burning Man 2014 looking for a camp

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Burning Man 2014 looking for a camp

Postby Jeseabell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:14 am

I know this is jumping the gun here but I have had to sell my ticket now twice do to unfortunate events. I had a ticket this year but then my house was broken into and my paycheck was stolen so I was unable to attend. I haven't been since 09' and I been trying to make it every year since then so I am deteremined to make it next year. I am starting to save money now so even if something stupid happens I should still be covered.

Anyways I would love to find a camp to make life easier. Perferably one that is located in the San Francisco area so I can get to know campmates and help participate in getting things ready and any fundraising needed. Again I know this is way too soon but just wanted to get on it asap. How does one go about finding a camp? The year I went friends and I camped on our own and then an other year I was supposed to go the camp I was with ended up breaking up. So I would love to find a reliable camp.
Jeseabell

Re: Burning Man 2014 looking for a camp

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:18 am

Patience, patience, patience.

Wait until the 2014 sub-forums come up.. do some reading.. get a feel for what people are planning.. and the opportunities and openings will present themselves.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

How to Find a Camp

Postby gyre » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:06 am

You make careful arrangements ahead of time with a camp that has local connections and out of state.
When you can't locate them, because they did everything except register at playa info, you cross the street and ask the camp there if you can camp until you find your camp.
Then, when you locate them by word of mouth days later, you are having such a good time with the great people there that you don't leave, even though the original camp is wonderful too.

You may take a different approach.
gyre

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:17 am

Meet locals. There are several Bay Area groups. I suggest you join all of them (check FB, too) and look around and attend some events--any or all that appeal--until you find folks you click with.

http://regionals.burningman.com/

I moved this to 2013 Theme Camps because that's the closest we come to having a proper forum for this question. Q&A Tips & Tricks might have been okay, too.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:38 pm

If a camp is a really good fit for you, but not SF based, write to the contact, anyway. I suspect that I could serve as a contact for Dye with Dignity, even though the leader is in Fredricksburn, Texas.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby DrYes » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:54 pm

Jeseabell wrote:I know this is jumping the gun here but I have had to sell my ticket now twice do to unfortunate events. I had a ticket this year but then my house was broken into and my paycheck was stolen so I was unable to attend. I haven't been since 09' and I been trying to make it every year since then so I am deteremined to make it next year. I am starting to save money now so even if something stupid happens I should still be covered.

Anyways I would love to find a camp to make life easier. Perferably one that is located in the San Francisco area so I can get to know campmates and help participate in getting things ready and any fundraising needed. Again I know this is way too soon but just wanted to get on it asap. How does one go about finding a camp? The year I went friends and I camped on our own and then an other year I was supposed to go the camp I was with ended up breaking up. So I would love to find a reliable camp.

You should first narrow down what kind of camp experience you're looking for, which tends to boil down to what kind of people you want to camp with. There's no wrong answer, but different people burn different ways. Be honest with yourself. Are you looking to rage w/ an EDM soundtrack? Are you looking for a meditative acroyoga experience? What are your feelings on bacon? Are you an undercover cop? Or maybe you just want to hang out at orgy dome?

These are all questions you should ask yourself.

As for how you find a camp, it, again, kind of depends on your goals. Some camps, particularly large ones, are explicitly open to people the camp may not know yet. Others are about friends and friends of friends.

Burners are, as I hope you've gathered, much friendlier than this forum might generally exhibit (though even the malcontents here would likely be super-friendly if encountered en playa). If you're good-natured and willing to pitch in to help, most camps will welcome you.
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:58 pm

Jeseabell wrote:I had a ticket this year but then my house was broken into and my paycheck was stolen so I was unable to attend.

Huh? Who else can cash your check? Can't you just get a check replaced? This makes no sense whatsoever.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby DrYes » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:49 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Jeseabell wrote:I had a ticket this year but then my house was broken into and my paycheck was stolen so I was unable to attend.

Huh? Who else can cash your check? Can't you just get a check replaced? This makes no sense whatsoever.

Perhpas she/he gets paid in bearer bonds. All 1980s Miami Vice and shit.
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby BBadger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:54 am

Lots of weirdness this year, like all those lost and found posts where people lost their PASSPORTS while burning -- including US citizen passports (WTF?!). Who carries that stuff around?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Asquared » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:29 am

Jeseabell wrote:Anyways I would love to find a camp to make life easier.

surprised no one jumped on that yet.
good luck.
"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh
Asquared

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Ratty » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:34 am

So true. Life will not be easier with a camp. After you pay to be part of the group you will have to participate by some assigned duty. You may enjoy it or not. It may be easier to wing it.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Patamon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:16 pm

If you like 80s music, being on the esplanade, and being part of a camp that has a real life indoor nghtclub, then give Planet Earth a shot. We're always looking for new enthusiastic camp members who can contribute. We also have our act together, most of us are 10 year+ burners, so we've got it down to a science when it comes to backstage infastructure (Power, shade, kitchen, Portas, shower, etc.)

Shoot me an email if you're interested, I can fill you in and add you to our Facebook camp list.
Patamon

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:

I'm still stuck on this… WTF. But apparently Jeseabell's computer has since been stolen.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Ratty » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:08 pm

Hummmmmmm, Maybe her paycheck was stolen and cashed. Then it took so long to sort it out that she missed out. Maybe they payed her with a stolen paycheck. Got me. I would have had another check the following day.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:24 pm

BBadger wrote:Lots of weirdness this year, like all those lost and found posts where people lost their PASSPORTS while burning -- including US citizen passports (WTF?!). Who carries that stuff around?

I did...
I lost my I'd the day we left. My passport is all I had for id's. I'm not going to not drink all week. :?
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby BBadger » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:13 am

That's why you photocopy it and blacken out the ID numbers. It's not like bars must check for original and unaltered ID documents; it's more about good-faith checking if the person looks suspiciously young.

If you must, just bring along your own booze that you brought for your own bar. There is no reason whatsoever why anyone should be carrying a vital ID document like a passport around while at Burning Man.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby 9ah » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:29 pm

BBadger wrote:That's why you photocopy it and blacken out the ID numbers. It's not like bars must check for original and unaltered ID documents; it's more about good-faith checking if the person looks suspiciously young.

If you must, just bring along your own booze that you brought for your own bar. There is no reason whatsoever why anyone should be carrying a vital ID document like a passport around while at Burning Man.

So true... enlarged photocopy. Pack a couple just in case. Store your original somewhere safe during the burn. Carry your own booze as well.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:13 pm

Just a heads up, if bars are following the rules and don't want to risk getting their camp shut down, they won't take paper copies. By Nevada law, you can not take paper photo copy id's as legal id tender. They can be photo shopped quite easy. It must be a hard copy for it to be legal.

Please don't give out bad/not legal advice. It can lead to bars being shut down or people not being served.
At our camp I have laid the law down and no paper id's will be taken. No plastic, no drink.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:25 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:

It might have to go through a process that takes time, and she decided to cut bait.

I'm only trying to help.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Return to 2014 Theme Camps