How to Start a Theme Camp

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Re: How to Start a Theme Camp

Postby psixonavt » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:36 am

Changes for 2013 - Early Arrival Passes will ONLY be issued until Saturday pre-event.
We expect and want you to arrive by Saturday August 24 to start building your theme camp.
We will do our best to hold your reserved spot until Sunday at 6PM, but it would be much better if you arrive on Saturday and secure your spot.
You MUST have an Early Arrival pass to enter Black Rock City before the gates open at 6PM. If you arrive on Sunday before 6PM (when the gates open) you need your Early Arrival pass to get in.

"Early Arrival Passes will ONLY be issued until Saturday pre-event" - does anyone know what exactly this means? No early arrival PRIOR to Saturday? We requested Thursday arrival in our application.
psixonavt

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Pretentious Fox

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:41 am

It simply means the early arrival passes are good from 12:01 a.m. Thursday morning until 11:59 p.m. Saturday night. No coming in on Sunday since you'd be pretty damn useless in setting up your camp if you came in that late just to avoid a line. For once I agree with the BMOrg.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:49 pm

It means pretty much exactly what it says (pro tip: most search engines also function as dictionaries if you're unsure of a word's meaning). Until means up to that point in time.

That means they'll issue them for dates prior and up to Saturday (if that's what has been requested and approved), but not after. EA's are issued with a specific date on them, make sure your campmates don't arrive before the date on them (if the pass says Friday or Saturday, you can't just show up Thursday).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Krokodyle » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:04 pm

This does seem to make some sense. I suspect this is going to catch a few people who are used to arriving on Sunday by surprise. :wink:
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.
Krokodyle

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: (Endorphin) Orphans Too

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:07 pm

It shouldn't catch anyone by surprise. People who may have been planning on Sunday arrival would have been doing so through a registered camp or project and be required to have an early entry pass (as they have for many, many years), and had months' notice from the group they submitted registration from.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby xhoosier » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:19 pm

I am adding my 10 cents to this overall topic.
1) See what camps are associated with your area- I have 4-5 just in Boise
2) Meet with them and see if you mesh
3) What are your interest, A place to sleep, a particular interest like gay friendly, artistic, music camp, etc. - If you like to sleep you don't want a all night dance camp
4) What do they provide- Showers, central shade, socials -I like a meal a day but this means I need to help out
5) Does your camp have activities or are you a place to collect- Once again, I like some camp activities but most of the time I can cruise around to see what else it happening
6) When do you have to be there- some have setup and tear down requirements
7) Most important (for me)- Does there seem to be a camp atmosphere of watching out for each other- It is the playa and no matter if you are a Birgin or a Burner you will need support at some point during you BM experience.

I can add a few others but I think this gives people an idea on what they need in a theme camp. Even if you decide that a theme camp is not our bag you should still reach out to the camps around your tent and learn who they are, talk about security and watch out for each other.

I love going to BM each year and for the most part I feel safe and secure but I have ran into issues with massive dehydration, out of mind people and very bad weather so I still need to understand what I need to deal with

Happy 2014 BM and let me know if you want to meet for a drink!!!!!
xhoosier

Burning Since: 2009

Previous

Return to 2014 Theme Camps