My own project.Tribute to deaf peoples.Burning Man 2014.

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

My own project.Tribute to deaf peoples.Burning Man 2014.

Postby Maciek SCARA » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:38 am

Dear Burning Man’s Crew,
I found out about Burning Man festival few years ago. However until now I didn’t manage to participate in it. This year (2014). I would like to change, what I have been putting off for too long, and take part in such a great event. I would like to suggest my own idea to create a construction during this year's event. By sharing my personal story hope to explain what it stands for. It has driven me and motivated me to give it a try getting in touch with you and propose my chosen project. My name is Maciek Gryko and I live in north east Poland, Olsztyn. Exactly 25 years ago when I was 10 years old I became ill. My condition required an extensive surgery, which resulted in falling in coma. Doctors were fighting for my life and managed to save me. However due to period of absence of oxygen delivery to my brain I lost my hearing. Since then I perceived world relying on remaining senses. I have been going through many turbulent times, up and downs. During my lows, each time somewhere deep down I found some burning desire to keep me going. This year I felt accumulation of it and out of it a need to share it with others. A message not to give up, chase your dreams and live your passions. My passions and work is creative art: painting and graphics, designing. I am also passionate about healthy and active lifestyle. I played sport since young age and now I'm part of a Polish basketball deaf team. The idea of my project symbolizes a struggle of a deaf man in world we all live in. Despite invisibility of deafness, often it throws under our feet many hurdles and barriers against normal functioning and day to day living. Having had a real life experience of obstacles and perceived limits by deafness, seeing how many of my fellow friends are affected and entrapped by it and lack of faith and believe they can also succeed, live happy, fulfilling, powerful life. Aim of my project is to show a struggle and fight of a human with own weakness and their illusions. As crazy as it “sounds”, deaf man from other side of the world - Poland, going to US to participate in Burning Man, I want for myself and others give light, in attempt to break those stereotypes, and show them to release those breaks that we often set and stop ourselves with. I want to show and prove that all is needed to make your dreams come true is deep man’s burning desire. We all have weakness, disabilities, but at the same time we also have strengths, talents and unlimited potential if we wish to believe so. This is my attempt to show, prove and make it happen. I have attached a project of my idea for the construction which we created with my friend. As a part of it I want to capture it and document process and journey of creation from start to the end result. Thereafter I want to share it with other people who are deaf or less able, to inspire, motivate them and show them if im-POSSIBLE, it is possible for all of us! At this point, I am not able to specify the size, what materials and how much of it will be needed. I am hoping for an advice from experienced partakers from previous events. I would like to put together group of people, raise funds and make it happen. I wanted to ask Burning Man Team for guidance, what is required to participate and where to start to make this project happen. I would be thankful for any help, suggestions and directions from you.
Image Concept.
Image First sketch.
Kind Regards, Maciek Gryko
Maciek SCARA

Burning Since: 2014

Re: My own project.Tribute to deaf peoples.Burning Man 2014.

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:42 am

The classic advise is to not do too much your first year, as you don't know how you'll cope with the heat and altitude.

I'm going to suggest that you get in contact with the Czech regional contact. Last year (her 3rd or 4th) she brought five first-timers and a CORE project. I think she'd be a good person to talk over logistics with.

Regional contacts are found from a link in the main site. Click that "Burning Man" in the upper left corner, and poke around.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:20 pm

Welcome to eplaya.

Nothing like learning how to swim by jumping in the deep end of the pool. I enjoyed reading your story and you sound like you have a lot of determination. You definitely need to hook up with others, hopefully experienced burners, to help with the project and are experienced with the event and conditions and logistics. It sounds like you have the vision.

I imagine others will chime in with their comments and opinions.

Best of luck.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby shLong » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:10 pm

Hey there, I noticed in crypto's post he emphasized "CORE".
Last year was my first and Wednesday night when they did the core burn I just figured they called it that for some reason or another and didn't really give it much thought.
So, I ask, Crypto (or whomever) what does "CORE" mean?
Thanks
shLong

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Spank The Monkey Bar & Love Lounge

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:29 pm

Concentration? Collaboration? Conflagration? Another C? Of Regional Effigies
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:01 pm

It means Circle Of Regional Effigies.

To the original poster, do some reading and research. There are plenty of resources on the main Burning Man web site, this page would be a good place to start.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby shLong » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:45 pm

that's fantastic!
Much better than I would've thought it was.
Thanks a bunch, you two.
And of course, best of luck, OP
shLong

Camp Name: Spank The Monkey Bar & Love Lounge

Postby Maciek SCARA » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:48 am

Hello again!
Thank you for any advice and help.
I wrote to the Czech team and is currently waiting for a response.
I know that my design is crazy. I also know that I want to be a member of Burning Man this year.
I currently discover more information on the BM forum, and I'm waiting on 3D drawing of my project.
If I fail to do this year, I will try to do it in the next year.I know that I have to be patient.

Thanks.
Maciek
Maciek SCARA

Postby MisaBlue » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:50 pm

Hello hello!

I am on it :) And already replied to Maciek.
It is great idea and I love the design.

Sure I can help with the logistics and so on and I contacted deaf Burners who can help with this aspect…and I am sure will love the project as well.

Many good people among Burners :)

Misa

Postby Reddick » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:57 am

Maciek, great idea. I can totally see this emerging from the Polish district of the Souk. It looks like there will be significant space between the Man and his Marketplace-That-Isn't-A-Marketplace. Perfect for showcasing smaller scale art. Good luck to you.
Reddick

Postby Merry » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:19 pm

Hi Maciek: I am part of Da Dirty Hands, a deaf camp at burning man, comprising of about 50 deaf burners (I estimate 10 are actively involved in our camp year-round.) Also, a group of ASL interpreter volunteers established PlayaTerp at burning man. Please look for us on Facebook and we can discuss how we can work together to make your dream a reality.
Merry

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Da dirty hands

Postby JustCallMeTex » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Hey Maciek, Merry beat me to it. Yes, there are a number of Deaf Burners. We don't all camp together, but there have been camps of mostly Deaf people. There are experienced Deaf Burners who work for Gate, for DPW, and who are involved with theme camps, as well as one-year Burners...

Someone said not to do too much your first year. I would stress that this is very good advice. The environment is harsh and taking on a major art project is an additional challenge. If you are determined, you can certainly do it, but I would suggest a team of experienced Burners. If you are able to go in 2014, you will meet Burners (Deaf and hearing alike) who may be able and willing to help you get your art project placed in 2015. Something to think about...

That said, we would love to meet you. Seek us out on Facebook. Or if that isn't your thing, find us on the playa if you make it this year. We are preparing plans for a bigger theme camp this year than in years past. Most of us sign American Sign Language. A few of us are versed in International Sign. I'm not sure any of us know Polish sign language, but I will ask around. In any case, there will be a hub where you can feel at home and be welcomed, regardless of where you camp.
JustCallMeTex

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:08 pm

I thought Opulent Temple was a tribute to deaf people.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby JustCallMeTex » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:32 am

I dunno about a tribute but more than a few of us <3 OT for sure!
JustCallMeTex

Postby Maciek SCARA » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:34 am

Hello Friends!
Thanks for all helpful replies.
I listened to your advice and decided to do my project in the next year.This does't mean that I will not be doing anything by this time to next Burning Man.
I got the first visualization in 3D (yet are not finite)Image and I had a meeting with the building engineer.After talking with him I plan to do a miniature of this project.
So this year I wanted to participate in the Burning Man to get to know alot of burners, as possible :)
I would like to offer my help to anyone who will need it when building your own project.
How do I join PlayaTerps?I know that the Polish Sign Language is different from the American but I'm mainly talking by writing and reading, there should be no problem with communication.

Thanks.
Mac.
Maciek SCARA

Postby Melt » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:53 am

Hi Mac

I really like your creative art!

Please let us know if you need help our help.

It would be great if your art to be seen in front of Playa Center where thousands of thousands of people are around for 24/7.

Great job!

Melt
Melt

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Da Dirty Hands

Postby Maciek SCARA » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:14 am

Hi again Friends !
Now I have free time to write something new. I was on vacation in New York and Charlotte and now I have lot of work in my job. I work as a graphic designer in small clothing company. And I am also graffiti and mural painter.
I'll show you one of the works :) Image

But I will be back to topic.
My friend did better designs in this time. Now it looks very good. Now I have to do a sculpture on a small scale.
Although this project I tried to build only in 2015, I can not wait to meet with the participants of Burning Man :)
Image Image Image

Size of the project and the human figure on the last photo is just a fantasy of my friend who did 3d graphic design :)
I think the sculpture is little to huge :)
What do you think about this?

Maciek
Maciek SCARA

Postby tatonka » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:23 am

he has no junk , like a ken doll . This is burningman, I heard it was ok to be naked :)
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby AntiM » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:55 am

Wonderful.

Can a man be too huge?
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby carefactornil » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:36 am

Firstly - Outstanding idea!

I did something pretty large for my first Burn coming from the UK. It IS possible, but I was prepared to fail and give up if necessary which isn't an easy thing to do, especially if you have time and money invested in it. Fortunately it worked out OK for me. I'd probably only recommend doing a big art piece in your first year if you have plenty of time before BM out in Reno or similar. Then you have a chance to visit the playa, see what it actually "is" and what it's like to build on / into. And then build your piece in the USA nearby.

Otherwise if you build outside of the US then you have a whole series of logistics to deal with (expensive too) and risk the piece not being allowed into the USA (this happened to the Canadian CORE team last year I think).

If you can afford to come to BM in 2014 and 15, I would generally recommend that for 2014 you find an easier way to participate and then go HUGE in 2015. I have a feeling from your passion that BRC is going to ignite you in ways you don't yet realise and give you a serious hunger to return and do this piece justice. It did to me and really hope to see this out there at some point.
carefactornil

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Syncytium

Return to 2014 Art & Performance