personal burning barrel for burnable stuff vanishing

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.

personal burning barrel for burnable stuff vanishing

Postby unitivity » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:33 am

it seems that is is ok to burn anything in some sort of safe container, is this true.

Like a small barrel with wire mesh over the top?
unit
unitivity

Burning Since: 2014

Re: personal burning barrel for burnable stuff vanishing

Postby tamarakay » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:54 am

There are rules for safe burning, so many feet from structures, ground cover or clearance etc. from our experience you also need a guard or a way to lock your mesh, else neighbors throw trash in when you go to sleep and you are left with smoldering wood chips when you try to pack up.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Elliot » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:56 am

There are also three or four large communal burn platforms around Esplanade.
But you must not burn just anything. No plastic or painted wood or anything else that can generate toxic smoke. Only clean wood and paper.
Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

a.k.a. Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar, etc

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service & Bevera...

Postby unitivity » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:51 am

thank you fellow flamers - how about a fire at yuor camp for hot dogs or say the kind that is portable like for rv camp fire?

i saw a picture of a barrel with words cut into it with a fire in it very artistic fire barrel, but it would be great to sit around a fire

and blow the rv up. unit
unit
unitivity

Postby trilobyte » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:55 am

Actually, Elliot, last year they significantly reduced what they allow in the public burn platforms. Now it's just untreated/unpainted wood.

Here are the guidelines that would apply for a personal/camp burn barrel.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Elliot » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:29 am

trilobyte wrote:Actually, Elliot, last year they significantly reduced what they allow in the public burn platforms. Now it's just untreated/unpainted wood.

Ah, no paper. That makes sense, since burning paper could easily blow out of the big open platforms.
And I should have mentioned that pressure treated wood is also banned along with painted. Thanks, Trilo!
Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

a.k.a. Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar, etc

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service & Bevera...

Postby chuckularone » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:12 am

Elliot wrote:...And I should have mentioned that pressure treated wood is also banned along with painted. Thanks, Trilo!

No pressure treated wood!!? But I love the smell of Chromated copper arsenate!
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE
chuckularone

Postby digital » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:46 pm

Elliot wrote:There are also three or four large communal burn platforms around Esplanade.
But you must not burn just anything. No plastic or painted wood or anything else that can generate toxic smoke. Only clean wood and paper.

I lit a number of public burn platforms throughout the week and it was very sad to see how much trash was in them. Not burnable trash -- general camp waste stuffed into plastic bags and thrown in.

Please don't do this.
digital

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Postby *Kat* » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:05 am

We've had a BBQ grill / fire pit at our camp for several years. Apart from the obvious (distance from structures, burning only untreated wood / cardboard / paper, etc.) we do this:

- the fire pit is small and fairly contained so the fire does to get out of hand, we also keep a fire extinguisher close by
- it's raised off the playa floor so we don't leave any burn marks
- we've got a screen to put over it to prevent embers from flying into the air and to keep the ashes from flying about
- whoever starts the fire is in charge of it until it's burned out - unless somebody else agrees to take over
Once the ashes are cool we collect it immediately into a trash bag so it does not get blown about.
We also got a playa broom to scoop up fine matter from the ground (one of the best anti-moop ideas ever!).

So far it's never left a trace.
Sometimes even 15 minutes on the street clock is a world away! A letter of the alphabet can be an entire light-year, a galaxy, a universe. - AntiM
*Kat*

Burning Since: 2010

Postby FossaFerox » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:24 am

Google has failed me. What exactly is a playa broom? My camp got green last year, but I'm always looking for ways to be more thorough, especially if it's more efficient.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby *Kat* » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:32 am

Oh sorry, I'm so used to the word by now I did not think it might seem like something special. It's just a regular broom, something like this:

We use it to scoop up all kinds of small matter that happens to get blown into our camp (of course not for stuff that's big enough to be picked up easily). Just make sure to get a sturdy kind that does not shed.
Sometimes even 15 minutes on the street clock is a world away! A letter of the alphabet can be an entire light-year, a galaxy, a universe. - AntiM
*Kat*

Postby *Kat* » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:36 am

...and congratulations on getting green! We've always gotten green too (as far as I know) and we do intend to keep it that way.
*Kat*

Postby fernley1 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:56 am

"Playa broom", good idea.
I saw a few burn barrels last year. I really liked the 55 gallon ones that were cut out to make pictures or words.
fernley1

Postby FossaFerox » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:16 pm

I was always worried the carved barrels might throw ash or embers, especially when people load them up with cardboard.

As for the broom, wouldn't that have a tendency to kick up dust and potentially bury small bits of moop?
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby unjonharley » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:29 pm

*Kat* wrote:Oh sorry, I'm so used to the word by now I did not think it might seem like something special. It's just a regular broom, something like this:

We use it to scoop up all kinds of small matter that happens to get blown into our camp (of course not for stuff that's big enough to be picked up easily). Just make sure to get a sturdy kind that does not shed.

that is called a "corn broom"

'

'
unjonharley

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:57 am

We had a burn barrel in our camp last year. Along with the advice and guidelines above be prepared to fend people off on Sunday/Monday who want to burn their trash/paper/cardboard in your barrel. We had several people walk up and without asking start shoving inordinate amounts of boxes in our barrel, making a huge mess, throwing smoldering bits everywhere and overflowing our barrel with ashes. We ended up having someone stationed next to the barrel for guarding duties.
A-RockLeFrench

Camp Name: PLUNDERGROUND

Postby unjonharley » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:20 pm

more information needs stressed about removing store packaging before leaving for the playa.. Pack less in. Pack less out
unjonharley

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:30 pm

unjonharley wrote:more information needs stressed about removing store packaging before leaving for the playa.. Pack less in. Pack less out

I couldn't agree more, but unfortunately a bunch of useless stoned brain-dead hippies who would rather get wasted than positively contribute to Black Rock City aren't going to give a shit about "removing store packaging" because that means more work for them and work is something they simply abhor.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:25 pm

unitivity wrote:

i saw a picture of a ...

Oh, you will soon see more than pictures! :D
Generally speaking, the burn barrel is not for disposing of stuff that you'd rather not bring back. Burning plastic is frowned on (and it fucking stinks!)... but if you have a draft card or something that accidentally find its way into the flames, I didn't know about it.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Return to Leave No Trace