The Burner's Guide To Leaving No Trace

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.

Re: The Burner's Guide To Leaving No Trace

Postby The_Sheik » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:39 pm

So, if I'm standing in line at the porta cans, and I see somebody go in with can of beer, then come out without it, it's socially acceptable to call them on it?

Of course, I could just offer to hold it for them, or if I find a can inside (I ain't pearl diving for it :x ) I can put it in my moop bag.
The_Sheik

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp The 'Burbs 3:15 & E

Postby unjonharley » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:09 pm

One year as i was arriving for my morning piss at the local pot..I had to stand in line for a few. This young lady come out of a potty.. I open the and saw she had pissed all over the seat.. I turned around and started screaming.. " that person just pissed on the seat.. That one in the (color) she pissed all over the place.See her, thats the one..god dam it. "
unjonharley

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:54 am

[media]
"la ayuda del kool es bueno"

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby shroom » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:31 am

How cool! I will eat there next visit to Chicago!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby ProfessorChaos » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:24 am

Little off topic but very related to MOOP... Lightning in a bottle festival in SoCal is a leave no trace event. It was held on private land near orange, CA for a few years. 2011 was amazing, truly life changing. Bassnectar was headlining a crowd of 3-4k people. As thy finished up, they come up front with everyone who played that night and asked everyone to spend 5 minutes and clean. Having never been to an event like this I was shocked to see everyone start picking up trash. It was beautiful. 15 minutes later I was sitting in the middle of a perfectly clean field looking at the stars.

The next year however, and I cannot confirm this is actually what happened or why they moved(just what I saw and heard) the festival went full Coachella. Beer cans and cig butts on the ground. The hug booth was now inhabited by drunken frat bros. It was a mess. Not surprisingly, they were not able to return after 2012. They have been changing location since, plagued by undercover busts last year in Temecula forcing them to move far north this year.

I will wreck you verbally on the playa if you MOOP near me. Be warned :twisted:

TL;DR- don't MOOP!!! They can and will take away the permit. It will suck having to find a new home for this event.
ProfessorChaos

Postby trilobyte » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:42 am

@TexasRick - go right on ahead and say something. I'd bet that in most of those cases, the person may have set the beer down while taking care of business, and accidentally left it behind.

@ProfessorChaos - you've got a number of things just a bit off there. Some friends of mine organize that event, they're all long-time burners, and it has always been a leave no trace event. It has also moved several times in the last decade, but never once because of a mess that was left behind. Their own crew stays and cleans up after everyone - regardless of how well or how poorly LiB participants treat it, the owners of the property get the space back in as good condition (if not better) as it was to begin with. PM me if you'd care to discuss that further, as that conversation has little to do with MOOP and leaving no trace.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ProfessorChaos » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:42 am

@Trilo - Thank you so much, I was hoping someone here would know something more. Generally, we can only see a very small portion from the outside looking in. The Do Lab always been amazing in their support of the music scene. It made me so sad to see people treating the land so poorly in '12. As we were leaving we discussed the possiblity of them not being able to come back because of the way the area was during the festival compared to other years.

Bottom line- their "leave no trace" event changed my life forever (actually starting me on my journey that is leading to BM)and I am eternally grateful. Thanks again for your thoughts :)
ProfessorChaos

Postby apavlin » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:14 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:Little off topic but very related to MOOP... Lightning in a bottle festival in SoCal is a leave no trace event. It was held on private land near orange, CA for a few years. 2011 was amazing, truly life changing. Bassnectar was headlining a crowd of 3-4k people. As thy finished up, they come up front with everyone who played that night and asked everyone to spend 5 minutes and clean. Having never been to an event like this I was shocked to see everyone start picking up trash. It was beautiful. 15 minutes later I was sitting in the middle of a perfectly clean field looking at the stars.

The next year however, and I cannot confirm this is actually what happened or why they moved(just what I saw and heard) the festival went full Coachella. Beer cans and cig butts on the ground. The hug booth was now inhabited by drunken frat bros. It was a mess. Not surprisingly, they were not able to return after 2012. They have been changing location since, plagued by undercover busts last year in Temecula forcing them to move far north this year.

I will wreck you verbally on the playa if you MOOP near me. Be warned :twisted:

TL;DR- don't MOOP!!! They can and will take away the permit. It will suck having to find a new home for this event.

This reminds me of a funny story about an outdoor Phish concert held at Oswego County Airport in upstate New York a few years ago. The promoters were smart; they created a custom T-shirt, and the only way to get one was you had to bring them 5 bags of garbage picked up from the concert grounds (which happened to be the runways and taxiways of the temporarily-closed airport). People were actually stealing each other's bags of garbage to be able to get the special T-shirt, because there wasn't enough garbage to go around. Slogan: "I really cleaned up at the Phish concert!" :D
apavlin

Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Postby apavlin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:26 am

Oops. I just realized that my above posting was showing a violation of the Third Principle. Sorry.
apavlin

Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Postby ^Rhino! » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:39 pm

lucky420 wrote:Yep it's good to pick up moop as you see it. I was being a good citizen last year while walking down 4:00 last year by our camp (Dye with Dignity) when I saw some moop in the road. Bent down to pick it up and BAM! was caught hippie fishing :oops:

I yelled FUCK! and just burst out laughing. The camp doing the fishing started laughing too. They offered a beer and a hug.

In my defense the dollar was covered in dust and I am extremely near sighted. Think Ms. Magoo...I really just thought it was a scrap of paper.

In 2009 I was over at the 9:00 plaza with Rue Morgue, and some guy set up to hippy fish with dollar bills....I stepped on his monofilament line, and picked up the bill, and laughed at him. It doesn't work on everyone, you know. Then, I gave him a couple glow sticks and suggested he try 'raver fishing' as a new twist.
He told me later he 'caught his limit and then some" after dark. A nice guy, so I let him keep the dollar bill.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:42 pm

^Rhino! wrote: A nice guy, so I let him keep the dollar bill.

Rhino, right there is the difference between you and me.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby tatonka » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:20 pm

winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Previous