Well I broke down

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Well I broke down

Postby OnlyShreveportBurner » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:12 pm

Just got myself one off stubhub....Couldn't risk them getting more expensive, or be unsure if im going or not. Cost a few extra pennies, but finally, Its MY year....See you all in the dust. Oh and apologies if this is the wrong forum for this...I JUST HAD TO TELL SOMEONE!!!!
OnlyShreveportBurner

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Well I broke down

Postby ygmir » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:28 pm

congrats!! jump on in!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Ano » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:32 pm

I guess this is a bad time to let you know that the BLM authorized an extra 10 thousand people for the population, bringing it up to 68,000 total for the cap this year... And that the ticket flood is starting, and there are a few unclaimed tickets for below face value in my regional email...but sure, lining the pockets of a scalper is cool, too, I guess.

Congratulations! Now, never do that again.
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Postby gaminwench » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:49 pm

There's no guarantee that BMOrg will sell additional tickets this year; have they announced such a thing?

There were plenty of tickets last year, the re-distribution was tricky, but there are LOTS of tickets for sale at face right now.
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Ano » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Nothing has been announced beyond the BLM saying that the population cap is at 68,000. If I recall, the higher-than-anticipated population cap of 2012 caused an infusion of tickets into STEP and other places, directly from the heightened cap... That might be 2011 now that I think about it. Either way, it's worth noting that the cap is much higher than previously anticipated.
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Postby Nipple » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:14 pm

http://tickets2.burningman.com/info.php?i=4188

This is a list of voided tickets. Make sure you aren't Mr. XXIGEY6E!

See you in the dust.

(Scalpers have kind of a bad rep in these parts, since they're opportunistic feeders. They profit off of something by causing the people who want to go out there grief. The general sentiment is not to reward them.)

Edit: Wow... 18 tickets voided this year... versus last years... TL;DC http://tickets2.burningman.com/info.php?i=3815
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:21 pm

It's less than an extra ten thousand people (our permit last year was for 60,900 and an increase was expected this year). It might be a surprise to you, but none of it is really "higher than anticipated" so much as it's the result of many months of negotiations and managing Burning Man's relationship with the Bureau Of Land Management.

Last year, some additional tickets were fed into STEP, and some additional tickets were made available in the August sale. No announcements have been made by Burning Man with regards to additional tickets going on sale - stay tuned to the blog and Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Sham » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:25 pm

I am going to unofficially step into this. Strictly my opinion.

I'm not exactly sure how this BLM cap will effect the event or if the org will exercise this talked about increase. It's very possible that it WILL NOT be acted upon this year due to the infrastructure of the event not being able to handle a larger crowd.

Until the org actually makes some sort of announcement, I would assume that things have not changed.

Remain calm, all is well.
[media]
Sham

Postby lemur » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:35 pm

im going to be pre-emptively pissed off about the possible release of extra tickets.

just incase.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Didn't they have 3K tickets in the august sale last year? I could see them dumping a bunch more into the OMG sale to mess with scalpers again.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby mdmf007 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:52 pm

There is still time and tickets are still moving at face values. People are finding out all the time that they cant make it. One of the lads in our shop cant make it and is selling his 385.00 tickets as well back into STEP today.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby OnlyShreveportBurner » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:58 pm

Jeeze I jumped too soon! I was browsing the ticket info and I thought it said STEP was done (ive been in line atleast a month). Also I was scared the stubhub tickets might get sold out or sell for even higher prices, My logic behind that was a thread I read about how quickly the OMG tickets would go, and I would probably not be able to get off and sit in front of the computer. I really hated to let the scalper get me, but I just have to do it this year. I have plans on leaving the country soon, and after that working vacation I must get serious about my career(s). Ive been through some things lately, and my soul just needs this. I have a feeling its something I will do many more times in the future, and now that I know more about the ticket system, I shall have a proper ticket from a proper source.

Thanks for all the replies, I suppose I deserved a little scolding. I tried originally reaching out through the message boards and even on fetlifes Burner groups and was registered with STEP. Next time, I will know. Thanks again guys! My camp setup is coming together nicely, vehicle had some work done for cross the country drive. Boss gave me time off, even kinda supports me going! Im making lists like a crazy person. Im doing this on a not too extravagant budget but I camp a lot so most of that stuffs taken care of. I will however be gifting 3 home cooked meals to share with my neighbors, and looking for anyone and everyone that could use a helping hand. I really hope that my heart is in the right place for this, I don't want to be part of the problem. But ive done my research, and am an avid outdoorsman. I think ill do juusst fine.

Appropriate thread to have someone evauluate my camp setup/plan?
OnlyShreveportBurner

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:07 pm

Home cooked meals, and general handiness and assistance to people needing help are fantastic gifts--some of the best I ever got.

Please post in the Shelter subforum or other more specific, relevant threads if you would like your camp setup evaluated by a team of biased, snarky professionals. Include pics if readily available. You don't want custom help. You actually want the answers you receive to be readily found by other people in similar straits. Message me if you're unsure of where to post. Or Trilobyte. Sometimes I don't notice miscategorizations, but he always does. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Theraplst » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:09 pm

OnlyShreveportBurner wrote:Appropriate thread to have someone evauluate my camp setup/plan?

viewforum.php?f=277

Shelter and camping
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby OnlyShreveportBurner » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:08 am

Thanks Savannah!
OnlyShreveportBurner

Postby socks » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:13 pm

Well if your cooking some good southern food by all means you may camp next to us.
Welcome to the playa
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Return to 2013 Tickets Discussion