Will Call the bung hole of BM

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Will Call the bung hole of BM

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:13 pm

ironmonkey wrote:So I'm still a bit unclear. Is it possible to camp in brc Sunday evening?

YES. :mrgreen:

Trilobyte wrote:The gates will officially open at 6pm on Sunday evening. Plan to arrive at or after 6pm, and you'll be fine.

Although officially the event always runs "Monday through Monday", the event gates open at 6pm on Sunday, August 25th. This means you should time your travels to arrive no earlier than that. (If you gatecrash, you'll end up in "D Lot"--detention--for a few hours.) It averages 3-5 hours in line to get in Sunday or Monday, so be emotionally prepared for that, and embrace the sea of humanity. Have your flashlights or lanterns packed in an accessible place. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby International Incident » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:39 pm

Just locked in a couple of shifts to help the masses get in and out of the Will Call Lot this year - I reckon Will Call will be THE PLACE to be this year!

But please don't run me over. That wouldn't be manners.
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:58 am

International Incident wrote:Just locked in a couple of shifts to help the masses get in and out of the Will Call Lot this year - I reckon Will Call will be THE PLACE to be this year!

No matter how good you speak American.. The cross hairs in my wind screen tells me there is a Aussie..
unjonharley

Postby Gobkin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:50 am

Oh wow... wooooooooo 3 hours to wait in line big whoop.
Last year I had to stand (and i mean stand on my feet) from 6 pm to 4 am in line in an airport to get my tickets exchanged. 4 transatlantic flights have been cancelled and angry mob charged the customer service, there were fights, 2 ppl had heart attack, you couldnt leave line for food or water coz someone would take ur place. So waiting 3 hours sitting in a car with ac on sipping juice, listening to music, enjoying company of new friends sounds doesn't sound like a bad time at all. Who cares if you get in 1 or 2 hours earlier if you got whole week of good time ahead. Patience is a virtue.
Gobkin

Burning Since: 2013

Postby 9ah » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:57 am

International Incident wrote:Just locked in a couple of shifts to help the masses get in and out of the Will Call Lot this year - I reckon Will Call will be THE PLACE to be this year!

Are you working any pre-gate shifts?
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby unjonharley » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:07 am

Gobkin wrote:Oh wow... wooooooooo 3 hours to wait in line big whoop.
Last year I had to stand (and i mean stand on my feet) from 6 pm to 4 am in line in an airport to get my tickets exchanged. 4 transatlantic flights have been cancelled and angry mob charged the customer service, there were fights, 2 ppl had heart attack, you couldnt leave line for food or water coz someone would take ur place. So waiting 3 hours sitting in a car with ac on sipping juice, listening to music, enjoying company of new friends sounds doesn't sound like a bad time at all. Who cares if you get in 1 or 2 hours earlier if you got whole week of good time ahead. Patience is a virtue.

For some, "standing" in line is not a good thing.. I'll be ok.. Bring the walker and able to sit.. For others sitting in the hot sun in a wheel chair is not good..
Even the old hippie fair in OR has an "altered able" line for the disabled...
If I see a altered able person in line behind me, I will call them forward and fuck the rest of ya..
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:06 am

No, not that kind of "altered".
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Wow...lots of questions and comments. Ygmir has answered some, but I'll chime in FWIW.

For UnJon: There is no lane from the highway because that'd be unfair. So you come tooling down the highway and zip all the way to willcall in your special lane (if there's no wait). Since there's special lanes to exit from Will Call into the processing lanes, you've effectively jumped the whole line. And once that special line becomes full/backed up to the highway,the reverse is true; you are all just sitting there in your single lane, while all 12 lanes of the main part of Gate road creep forward past you. The best thing to do is to create the most paths to the first decision point. That sorting/decision point is at the Apex opening Yggie mentioned. If you got tix, you are pulled forward to be processed with search/tickets torn, etc. If you need willcall, you are directed there. It LOOKs chaotic, but it's actually not. It's honestly the result of some very smart people studying queueing a LOT and coming up with that method. Seriously.

DLot is the lot where Gate folks park you if your shit is somehow not sorted and dealing with you is going to take more than a few minutes. Things like: fake ticket, lost ticket, "I need a handy from someone in my camp can you call them?", "I don't have an early arrival barcode but they'll bring me one", large vehicles/art cars needing dismantling for search, etc. They have the time, experience and resources to sort you out or have you removed from the event site.

The stack lot is a temporary construct used only on opening day/night. It is NOT DLot. If you arrive at the Gate on opening day and you have everything in order except you don't have an early arrival pass, you've jumped the gun. If it's more than a couple hours early, you'll be sent packing back to Reno; Gate doesn't have infrastructure to support you hanging at the Gate. As opening get closer, you are "stacked" in a lot for when the Gate opens. Gate does this in a way that is first in/last out. Read that again: First in/last out. The judgement is that if you got there real early, you didn't follow instructions NOT TO COME EARLY. That means you'll be the last person let out and into the city. You can probably plan on that being on Monday morning some time considering the traffic at the gate. People that did their best to time it correctly but arrive just a tad early will be the first ones, along with people in the regular gate line, let in as the Gates open because they followed the rules. We balance letting people from the gate line in with emptying the stack lot once the gates open.

Will Call has two components: the Will Call parking lot and the box office itself. The Box Office has made great strides in improving their speed in service over the last few years. The Will; Call lot has been largely unmanaged and left to participants to park and organize themselves. This has resulted in abandoned/lost cars for hours at a time, blocked vehicles, people partying in cars after they have their tickets, etc. Typically Gate comes along later in opening and imposes some traffic control as a last resort. This year Gate will affirmatively control and manage the Will Call lot the entire time. Expect it to be much more organized and efficient, but a whole lot less ass grabbing. Get in, get your ticket and get in the fucking city.

Gate Perimeter & Exodus can always use volunteers, especially those that have been to the event before and have great ideas on how to improve things. Interested in signing up? Check out the volunteering section of their website here for info: http://gate.burningman.com/volunteering.php
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:50 pm

Excellent post, LoR, thanks! And that Apex setup is genius. Big cheers to those who plan it and work it safely. While I came in before that was up and running last year, numerous campmates and friends did experience it and things ran really smoothly for them.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Previous

Return to 2013 Tickets Discussion