POST ALTERNATE LOCATIONS FOR BM 2013

Cargo Cult - Who is John Frum? He is known to us by many names, this Visitor from Elsewhere, dispenser of endless abundance and wielder of mysterious technologies: John Frum, Quetzalcoatl, Osiris, "Bob." His cargo is splendid, his generosity boundless, his motives beyond our understanding. But across the ages and around the world, the stories all agree: one day he will return, bearing great gifts. Our theme this year asks three related questions; who is John Frum, where is he really from, and where, on spaceship Earth, are we all going?

Re: POST ALTERNATE LOCATIONS FOR BM 2013

Postby Roark » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:15 pm

One of the board members here owns a 5000 acre ranch spread that abuts the Mexican border outside Laredo, TX. A bunch of the usual Burners wouldnt make it. Summer temps over 115F, humidity can be nearly 100%... or 0%. Wild pigs (mean as hell), scorpions as big as your hand, snakes of the "you're dead if you get bit" variety, and lots of drug cartel mules slinking through the underbrush. And ticks. LOTS of ticks. And mosquitos if it's rained in the last 3 weeks. The ground isn't sand, it's rock (scree). No dust storms, but the sky blackens with locusts routinely. This place is HELL on Earth. "Survivor" passed it up because they didn't want corpses on prime-time TV.

On second thought... lets keep BM on the Playa. :) :mrgreen:
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Burning Since: 2017

Postby user2346 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:39 am

yeah the fly ranch and hot springs, just cause the borg owns it now http://flyranchproject.org/
user2346

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:40 am

Yeah, it's part of a long-term permaculture project that BMP's been working on (as that web site alludes to).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:47 am

I like Roark's idea. What's wrong with a little (okay, a lot of) DANGER???
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Rice » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:35 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:I like Roark's idea. What's wrong with a little (okay, a lot of) DANGER???

And, it might increase the amount of attendees who are actually self reliant (well, sorta - ok, probably a few will be lost during each burn)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Roark » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:05 pm

Talk to Sunbeam. :mrgreen: The legal release to access the property is 11 pages long and strongly suggests you will die a horrible, violent death. One of the guys from the King Ranch looked at it... and stole part of it to incorporate into theirs. Sorta funny, that.

One nice thing about the location: you wouldnt need to pay for security. The Border Patrol would do it for free since they're there anyway. And the tick inspectors are a jovial bunch who would fit right into the BM culture. And I'm sure we could work a deal with the drug runners to re-route for a couple of weeks. But there is this longhorn bull that isn't gonna budge... :mrgreen:
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:50 am

BAS wrote:If I'd been by myself, or at least not with my parents, I might have stopped off to check out who the trailer (at least I think it was a trailer) with the Man logo on it belonged to while I was on my way to visit the caldera on the Big Island.

DAMMIT, I want to go back to Hawaii some time, with more time, money, and other resources for exploring! (I like my parents, but my Mom really can't get around any more, and my dad wants to pack too much into a day, so we end up not really having any time for actual exploring.) And also I want a better guidebook. Despite what the one we had said, we COULD have taken an all wheel drive vehicle to visit the green sand beach, and, therefore, have actually had time to go down to it and mess around in the surf (along with all the folks who didn't know you couldn't take an all wheel drive vehicle out there.)

High clearance AWD maybe, and surely not a regular car. Those ruts nearly ate our Jeep.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby clocksnmirrors » Tue May 28, 2013 9:14 pm

32.424239,-109.480802

the man is already out there in the arizona desert waiting for us!

kinda spooky

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Previous

Return to 2013 Theme