Burner Express Bus Service To/From BRC

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Re: Burner Express Bus Service To/From BRC

Postby Zhust » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:45 am

Savannah wrote:I hope that anyone with Feedback for the Burner Express send their words to BurningMan@busbank.com, an address I found at their website. (Burner Express is not run by Burning Man, although they contracted with Burning Man.) Ccing feedback@burningman.com couldn't hurt. (I don't know if it helps, but it can't hurt).

I got them the feedback from my post and got a friendly personal response back thanking me for the feedback. So, well, there you go.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Ratty » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:41 am

This thread is making me sad. I was camped on G and I saw several people with rolling luggage. IT NEVER OCCURRED TO ME TO LEND A HAND! Shame on me. They were weary travelers. I could have offered them a cool drink or put their luggage on our bikes and walked with them. Maybe they were just looking for a friendly place to camp. Next year.

Of course I immediately jump to an elaborate routine in my mind of greeting and drinks on a tray with little umbrellas etc....Calm down Ruth. Mellllllooooow..
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby unjonharley » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:59 am

Idea for this project....Get "POD" involved in pickup and delivery to Burning Man..

A POD delivered to a "bus burners" driveway.. Burner shares space and cost with other "bus burners".. POD picks up the pod and delivers it to theme camp style assigned street.. Bus burners burn the bus going home.. Arriving at there PODs and set camp.. (bikes and all).. Bus burners burn the week at Black Rock City..

RE pack the PODs and burn the bus out.. Pods delivered back to said driveways.
unjonharley

Postby lollergirl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:38 pm

i'm really excited to hear such good reviews. my car can't make the drive so i either have to rideshare (which has always been a total fiasco) or fly into Reno and get a rental car (almost a $1000 for a car i'm using for 8 hours!). i am SERIOUSLY considering the Burner Express next time.
lollergirl

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby unjonharley » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:47 pm

oops
unjonharley

Postby Zhust » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:34 pm

unjonharley wrote:Idea for this project....Get "POD" involved in pickup and delivery to Burning Man..

Coming from a great distance, a "mini-container"-style storage/transport company service sounds great. Until you price it out. And find out most have limits to where they go. And then you start pricing shipping containers and find they're not that much more. And then you find out they are enough more to make it prohibitive for one person. And then you look for other people. And then you don't feel like dealing with all the friggin' logistics and just pack light.
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Postby unjonharley » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:01 pm

Zhust wrote:
unjonharley wrote:Idea for this project....Get "POD" involved in pickup and delivery to Burning Man..

Coming from a great distance, a "mini-container"-style storage/transport company service sounds great. Until you price it out. And find out most have limits to where they go. And then you start pricing shipping containers and find they're not that much more. And then you find out they are enough more to make it prohibitive for one person. And then you look for other people. And then you don't feel like dealing with all the friggin' logistics and just pack light.

Boy you sure put a negative twist on my idea.. I wrote the idea for the people that are Bus Burner.. So they can bring bikes and artwork.. Maybe SF, Reno and others where the bus will be.. For Bus Burners there are no tables, chairs and sleeping on the ground.. Also I said "get POD ""involved"" in pick up and delivery"
unjonharley

Postby PL_FL » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:15 am

I was a virgin this year and spent WAY too much money on rental car… I really like the Burner Express idea, I’ll use them for sure. My only question is about a bike. I didn’t see any mention on their site or the BM site, but maybe I just missed it. How does a fly-in get a bike? I used Kiwanis Bike this year ($40 each, nice), and maybe that would be a cool partnership?
"Nothing Is Written"
(Lawrence of Arabia: after he goes back into the Nefud Desert to rescue Gasim)
PL_FL

Burning Since: 2013

Postby trilobyte » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:59 am

I believe the standard luggage allowance lets you do two big bags and a carry-on, the large (or upgrade, or whatever it's called) gives you 4 big bags and a bike allowance. You can bring your own, or get one at the Save Mart stop.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby peyote2004 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:32 am

I couldn't remember about the cost/ luggage info so I emailed them a couple of weeks ago.

This is part of their response.

Standard Luggage Allowance which allows you two (2) large luggage items and one (1) carry on item that must fit underneath the seat or the Large Luggage Allowance which allows you four(4) large luggage items and one (1) oversized item (i.e. a bike)
Shopping Bus which stops at Save Mart Supermarket for power shopping or the Express Bus which travels straight to Burning Man.

2013 cost info

· $60 plus ticket fees: Express bus RNO to Gerlach (standard luggage allowance – 2 large bags, one carry on)

· $65 plus ticket fees: One hour Save mart stop for shopping (standard luggage allowance – 2 large bags, one carry on)

· $75 plus ticket fees: Express bus RNO two Gerlach (LARGE LUGGAGE ALLOWANCE our(4) large luggage items and one (1) oversized item (i.e. a bike)

· $85 plus ticket fees: One hour Save mart stop for shopping (LARGE LUGGAGE ALLOWANCE our(4) large luggage items and one (1) oversized item (i.e. a bike))

· $95 plus ticket fees: EXPRESS bus San Francisco to Gerlach(standard luggage allowance – 2 large bags, one carry on)
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Burning Since: 2014

Postby NikkiG » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:13 pm

I have to agree with Zhust, Pods are an awesome Idea, but there's not enough market for it, and it will ultimately be too expensive for anyone to use. Packing light is the best way to go because there's no way of transporting a crap load of luggage by yourself. I was blessed though, my camped was across the street from the bus stop. It took me several trips back and forth to drop off my stuff (2 large suitcases, a backpack, two six gallon cases of water and a bike!. Being a newbie, I didn't realize that I wouldn't use half of the water or clothes that I brought. I was overly prepared.. :lol: I'm definitely packing lighter next year :wink: . Buying a bike at Kiwanas and having it delivered to the Playa via the Burner bus's large luggage allowance is the best way to go. Please be advised the bike is one of the large pieces allowed (4 items total not 5!). Your water will count as a large item, and your food could be part of your back pack if you know how to shop. Anyway, NY has a container that people are allowed to buy space on. Each state should have one in their major cities.
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain
NikkiG

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Stag Camp

Postby Zhust » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:03 am

unjonharley wrote:Boy you sure put a negative twist on my idea.. I wrote the idea for the people that are Bus Burner.. So they can bring bikes and artwork.. Maybe SF, Reno and others where the bus will be.. For Bus Burners there are no tables, chairs and sleeping on the ground.. Also I said "get POD ""involved"" in pick up and delivery"

I guess I misunderstand. I thought you meant people who use the Burner Express. This year they used rental trailers on a pick-up truck (maybe more than one truck/trailer) to bring luggage and materials. I'm not sure how involving a mini-container business would be easier than that.

One thing that would be important to know is: how many people used Burner Express live in the source cities (San Francisco or Reno) versus how many came from out-of-town. I didn't even ask people so I don't have an anecdote, but the Reno bus seemed especially geared to out-of-town people (e.g. pick-up and drop-off at the airport). I would bet the S.F. bus was mostly S.F. people, so it would make sense to have a "move your gear / move your self" package based on some kind of container.
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Postby lulu_Mou » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:14 am

Reading through this thread has made me so happy... Planning for my first burn next year and I was a Lil' worried as to how one from the other side of the world would be able to get to BM when I know not one single person going ... Hoping to change that...
I'll defiantly be using this option if it's available next year. And I really like the idea of a camping area as I'll be flying solo.
Love reading all the info on eplaya... It's very helpful. Cheers guys!!
if you are a positive pure spirit, regardless of how many wounds, scars, disappointments, losses you've felt in your life- it will heal you, will nurture you, will give you charge and inspiration, will gift you wings. it will change your life forever!
lulu_Mou

Postby Divreon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:45 am

How did the burner express deal with the greeters station. I'm looking into going for the first time next year and don't want to miss the greeters.
"Time is relative, and I'm not related to it."

Birgin Camp 2014 is underway https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=364&t=67595&start=68
Divreon

Camp Name: Birgin Camp 2014

Postby Savannah » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:24 am

Divreon wrote:How did the burner express deal with the greeters station. I'm looking into going for the first time next year and don't want to miss the greeters.

I'm almost certain they did go through Greeters. You're supposed to funnel through there traffic-wise regardless of whether you stop, so I'm guessing yes. I think also someone mentioned the bus drivers being surprised at the dustiness of the virgins returning to the bus. :lol:

You could also send a PM to Delle and ask; she's very nice & won't mind. She posted a great BRC Express interior photo on page 2 of this thread that suggests she might've boarded the BRC Express during a Greeter shift.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Ratty » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:32 am

I know they stopped at the Greeter station on Friday. I remember because we had run out of www books by then. All we had were maps. And that was the 8 am shift.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Mojojita » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:19 pm

The Burner Bus does not stop at the Greeter's station. The Greeter Lead is notified by radio from the Gate when one is coming by and they pass by without stopping on the outside of the Greeter's station in their own lane. If one came through on Friday it was likely just a one - time occurrence.

Anyone taking the Burner Bus is welcome to come on out to Greeters any time or stop by Greeter's Camp for a thorough "Welcome Home" greeting.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby Savannah » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Thanks for the skinny, Mojojita!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Mojojita » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Tis my pleasure! There are so many busses coming through now that are not the "burner bus" that it's sometimes hard to tell. I think the burner bus has done an incredible job of getting people to and from the city in the most expedient, rapid transit-like manner possible, including avoiding long stops at Gate and Greeters. They have their own lane at Gate as well. There are lots and lots of good reasons to use this service, not the least of which is that it looks like so much fun.
Mojojita

Postby Mia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:57 am

Thank you so much for this thread. It's been very informative and one of the lease snarky posts I've read through.

My thought is to pack everything into a large heavy duty plastic "camp trunk" and save my smaller carry on for clothing. I think this would fit into their luggage restrictions. I hope they ease up on "water being a large item" a gal has to live LOL.

Thank you so much for this great thread.
Mia

Postby peyote2004 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:25 am

That's a bummer for virgins coming in. They miss a part of the experience if they use Burner Express. also, how do they get the map, etc if they don't go through greeters?
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Postby delle » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:36 am

Savannah wrote:
Divreon wrote:How did the burner express deal with the greeters station. I'm looking into going for the first time next year and don't want to miss the greeters.

I'm almost certain they did go through Greeters. You're supposed to funnel through there traffic-wise regardless of whether you stop, so I'm guessing yes. I think also someone mentioned the bus drivers being surprised at the dustiness of the virgins returning to the bus. :lol:

You could also send a PM to Delle and ask; she's very nice & won't mind. She posted a great BRC Express interior photo on page 2 of this thread that suggests she might've boarded the BRC Express during a Greeter shift.

Actually I wasn't on the bus as a Greeter, but as a passanger. (I have yet to do a Greeters shift, tho it's definitely on my list of Things To Do). First Bus Through on Sunday (as a non-Early Entry bus). We were in Gerlach at the time. At that point those who had Will Call disembarked, crossed the street, and got their tickets. Once everyone was back on the bus a Greeter entered and the WWW and all other goodies and info was distributed.

I had disembarked for a cigarette and talked to the guy running the whole show while I was out there. The looks on the faces of my "back of the bus" cohorts was after I'd announced that we were NOT going to be transferring to a schoolbus (as had previously been suggested to be the MO), and nor were we to sit and wait until 6pm (as we had been making silly bets on) -- but that we should be on the playa within the half-hour.

It is possible that the way that things were handled was modified after our bus went through. The gentleman with whom I'd spoken had said that they were working things out on the fly -- this being the first BIG day (i.e. non Early Entry) of the first year of the service... so others may have had different experiences.

I'm still maintaining it was a five star service, and definitely a huge plus for those of us who have to fly in, and/or have transportation issues from either Reno or San Francisco. The number of cars it kept off the roads and out of the lines is also nothing to sneeze at.

Super pleasant.

If going through Greeters "properly" is very high on your priority list, you won't get it quite the same way with the bus. You get the excitement and the warmth, but no bell or dust angels -- However, I think it's important to know that there are chunks of time when Greeters can't give you that love even if you do go in by car, if they're too backed up. (So I've heard. Maybe Mojo could confirm this)

You can always do your own virgin ceremony once you hit the ground inside. (and then not track the dust back into your vehicle... just sayin')
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby Mojojita » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:27 pm

Yup. During the first full day of opening, Greeters gets pretty busy with participants wanting to get the heck to a campsite considering they have already waited for hours and hours to get in. So during the times when there is a lot of traffic, you wont get the full "get out, ring the bell and roll in the dust" service. However, the best thing to do IMHO, is to come out to the Greeter's Station and play with us when we are not so slammed and ask for the full initiation - we will be happy to comply.
Mojojita

Previous

Return to 2013 Share Resources