Hitchhiking in, need eplaya's help

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Re: Hitchhiking in, need eplaya's help

Postby msj2u » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:19 pm

I see you've got 2 different threads going; however, I'll just answer this one.

Read the survival guide that came with your ticket for the information you need and best of luck with your water situation.

MSJ
A hug is the perfect gift
One size fits all
And no one minds if you exchange it

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
msj2u

Burning Since: 2003

Postby GreyCoyote » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:20 pm

No flame intended here. The cautions expressed are well founded. Nobody wants you to be a corpse that never made it to the fun side of the moop fence. People die in the desert, and it is not such a rare occasion. That you are experienced makes for good conversation, but MOST of the people who wind-up a statistic are not Noobs. (Noobs generally wont push it intentionally. They back-off once they understand the rigors of the place).

Having said this, you are clearly hell-bent to burn this way, so there isnt a lot left to discuss. You are either hitching a ride, or you are walking. That should be about like backpacking in Furnace Creek in August. If you are comfy doing that, then you should have no problem at BM, and there isnt a lot of wisdom to impart.

Final thought: sometimes young people get their head wrapped around an idea and it turns into a vision quest. Ask yourself if this will still sound like a good idea 20 years down the road. Pretend your son or daughter just made that post instead of you, and ask yourself what your response would be. Only in this light will you understand the responses you have been given.

Good luck. Hope it works out safely for you.
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:52 pm

GreyCoyote wrote: Nobody wants you to be a corpse

Speak for yourself.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby DrYes » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:56 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:
GreyCoyote wrote: No decent human being wants you to be a corpse

Speak for yourself.

There, I fixed the quote you responded to.
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:51 am

Don't worry; you can always hitchhike out of Reno. Nevada law is extremely lax concerning hitchhikers.
Most Burners will pick you up if you flash boobs. They may even gift you a ticket if give good head. That's how most of us get our tickets.
Don't even bother bringing a tent, just sleep at Center Camp with the rest of the hippies.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Theraplst » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:06 pm

After giving it more thought, seeing as pretty much everyone here is a veteran to some degree and 98% of you agree it's a terrible idea, I've decided to find a camp ahead of time and find people I can ride in with. (yes, I have $ for camp dues/gas etc, thank you)

I have several "friends of friends" who I might be able to camp with. I'll figure it out though. Thank you all for your input.
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby lucky420 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:36 pm

Hope you have a great burn :D
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Theraplst wrote:After giving it more thought, seeing as pretty much everyone here is a veteran to some degree and 98% of you agree it's a terrible idea, I've decided to find a camp ahead of time and find people I can ride in with. (yes, I have $ for camp dues/gas etc, thank you)

I have several "friends of friends" who I might be able to camp with. I'll figure it out though. Thank you all for your input.

Now we're on the right track, but you don't even need to spend money to join a camp, and now that you've clarified your original post, I think you can do close to what you originally planned. Once you get to Reno, head to one of the big Burner supermarkets and get the water & basic supplies you need. Don't forget electrolytes! Water alone will not be enough, and you can drink water all day & still die because of an electrolyte imbalance. Now look for a ride-share to the event, right there at the supermarket. If you fly in, there's actually a ride-share desk at the airport, and most of those rides will take you to the supermarket. If you have minimum supplies & just the water for one person this is a lot more do-able than you think. The rest of your plan sounds fine (one backpack, minimum supplies), and I know people who've done just that in the past. Hell, "walk in camping" is made up basically of people who want to camp without the fuss of vehicles (even if they do drive there).

I think the hang-up was in the way your original post was phrased. The hitchhiking (ie: only what you could carry) combined with the rest... *oi*. I know I read it as "I'm bringing enough water to get there, then want to find camps who will let me refill from their supply" and "I want to find camps who will fill out the needs I couldn't fit into my backpack". Your reposts have clarified this some, at least to me.

As long as you're prepared to make sure you're not a burden on others, I say go for it.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Previous

Return to 2013 Share Resources