wreck share :D

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

wreck share :D

Postby teknoGypsy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:00 pm

Hi all,

we are 2 Italian guys living in Australia and coming to black rock city for the first time this year! got the ticket and trying to figured out all the costs for surviving... it's something crazy! even only renting a car and buying the camping equipment... it's a lot. so, thinking about alternative solutions... we figured out that the best way would be share an RV with 2 other burners... buying a shitty/creepy/wreck one for cheat, but with all the comforts... wc, fridge, AC... everything basically! and don't have the issue of "we broke it! they are going to keep our bond!!!" we are planning to go wild, so we don't even care of what's going to happen to the RV after... probably is going to be a gift to an homeless

We are planning LA -> sacramento (1 week), then 1 week BM e then 1 week Las vegas & back to LA! I'm pretty skilled in mechanic... so... if lil problems are going to happen... I'll be able to fix them anyone interested in share some crazy time?

Peace!
teknoGypsy

Burning Since: 2013

Re: wreck share :D

Postby BBadger » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:18 pm

Summary: Australian eurotrash "going wild" and buying used cars to hang out with other burners hippies, only to dump it once they're through with their vacation.

There's a reason why France is deporting (tekno) gypsies by giving them 350 Euros and flying them one-way back to Romania (this is what countries do, now that they can't just gas undesirables)...

It's posts like this.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby teknoGypsy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:26 pm

I'm far away from a hippy, trust me :D there is also a reason why a town in italy is moving to protect some tekno gypsies (mutoid, just on the news)... thanks for judging something that you don't know :D

soo... maybe I should put a bit more info. IT chief engineer for a company that I can not even post the name, full into a carreer life with a partner in crime, head chef in a BIG restaurant, are looking to get rid of few society limit and impositions... the travel to black rock city is going to be the time to let everything go... to be able to be totally open minded and free spirit!

Don't feel to share more... just send me a PM if interested, and we can have a chat on skype and see :)
teknoGypsy

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:34 pm

I can see Bbadger's point, while aI don't doubt that you'd take it off the playa with you, renting s junk vehicle to trash and discard after the party doesn't really sound like a great idea. It's probably worth pointing out the obvious - bargain basement vehicles may not have fully functional amenities, or may even encounter mechanical failures (it wouldn't be the first RV that broke down).

You may care to take a little time to explore your options. Shade structures and camps are less difficult to work out than most people think, and in cases where world travelers can't take it home with them the components are often easier to recycle or donate to a worthy cause post-event (there's typically a burner's guide to Leaving no trace that goes out in the JRS in July/august, with info about dropoff locations and times).

Good luck with whichever route you choose to take.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby teknoGypsy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:47 pm

I'm a decent mechanic... just rebuilt my 30yo motorbike from scratch! I know, I'm not going to have all my tools with me... but I'll find a way to keep going :D the idea is to travel to mexico after... and I'm sure someone I'll look after the old RV and use it with no wasting/trashing anything! already trying to contact mexican organizations :)

other options... like renting a car, find a generator, a fridge (I want to set-up a beer bar... who likes hot beers?!), a tent, a sleeping bag, kitchen equipment, toilet/shower, trust me... I'v been trying to sort all this out... and in the end... it's going to cost more :(
teknoGypsy

Postby Canoe » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:22 am

IT engineer, mechanic, all nice, but meaningless when you haven't done your homework.
You might want to see what the requirements are for running an RV on the playa. A cheap one is likely to have many components (generator, fridge, a/c, etc.) stressed and prone to break down on-playa, if it even makes it there.
And there are issues regarding sharing an RV on playa. Take a look at viewtopic.php?f=277&t=64842

There are so many warning signs in what you've posted, I can't imagine anyone getting on that train wreck...
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby AntiM » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:40 am

Plus there's the issue of license and registration, unless you have a US patsy.....
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:19 am

AntiM wrote:Plus there's the issue of license and registration, unless you have a US patsy.....

Insurance.

My only suggestion to the O.P. is to do some reading of pertinent threads here, see how RVing goes, sharing same, supplies, what works, what doesn't........stuff like that.
You may find some of your notions, spot on, and some you'll throw out the window, once you see the experience of others.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:45 am

I can't count the number of these "wrecks" I see on the side of the road every year with somebody holdind a "Help" sign.

And that's before I even get to 447.

It's hot!

It's a long way between parts places, even if they have what you need!

Hope you don't screw up your burn! :roll:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:16 am

Driving from LA to Sacramento to BRC you are going over some very steep mountain passes. Being a good mechanic isn't going to help much if your engine burns up, brakes fail, or transmission explodes. Then you have hundreds of miles of hot, remote desert (and mountains) going to las vegas. You could be stuck for a looooong time with no parts/repair places anywhere nearby.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:55 am

While your plan may sound good in theory, in the long run it may very well cost far more than a rental or other options.

1. Any RV being sold cheap is probably going to need new tires, have a non functioning refrigerator, have generator and / or air conditioner troubles, and likely have some drive train issues.
2. It is beyond the scope of many people's imagination exactly how desolate the region is - any parts or help are a long way away. Accordingly roadside help such as towing is going to be very expensive. The nearest place to get parts could easily be well over 100 miles away. And all this while in one of the harshest environments in North america.
3. Registration and insurance is mandatory in most states and very expensive. As mentioned above there may also be issues buying insurance without a US drivers license. Getting caught with an unregistered and uninsured vehicle might get you arrested and the vehicle impounded.
4. You will be spending hours on a road that has cattle crossing it and in many places is unsafe to pull off the pavement.
5. As mentioned above, the mountains may stress the thing out mechanically and no amount of repair skills will help you with a blown engine or transmission.

teknoGypsy wrote:other options... like renting a car, find a generator, a fridge (I want to set-up a beer bar... who likes hot beers?!), a tent, a sleeping bag, kitchen equipment, toilet/shower, trust me... I'v been trying to sort all this out... and in the end... it's going to cost more :(

Just to address some of this:
1. Even a functional RV fridge will barely keep food from spoiling and thats if you hardly ever open it.
2. RV generators are not really suitable for running anything other than the rv stuff (lights, water pump, recharging the batteries, etc...).
3. If you want cold beer - bring a good cooler and use ice, an RV won't help with that anyway.
4. The others have linked RV threads that adress some of your other concerns such as toilet and shower and I suggest reading them.

In the long run - I try to simplify and minimize any problems I might have getting to or surviving at the burn. Your plan is fraught with disasters waiting to happen and could ruin your burn week or prevent you from ever getting there. So you might want to rethink this.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Token » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:03 pm

And on top of that we don't use the metric system here and the water flushes down the toilet the wrong way!

Oh the humanity!

Fly to LA.
Rent a one-way car to Sacramento.
Rent a cargo van in Sacramento to take to BRC.
Return van to Sacramento.
Rent car to Vegas / LA

Buy the insurance and remember to drive on the wrong side of the road.

If you are going to BRC to party like an animal, why the heck do you need an RV?
Token

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Drawingablank wrote:2. It is beyond the scope of many people's imagination exactly how desolate the region is - any parts or help are a long way away. Accordingly roadside help such as towing is going to be very expensive. The nearest place to get parts could easily be well over 100 miles away. And all this while in one of the harshest environments in North america.

Depending on where they've been in Australia, it could look like Tokyo rush hour...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:02 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:2. It is beyond the scope of many people's imagination exactly how desolate the region is - any parts or help are a long way away. Accordingly roadside help such as towing is going to be very expensive. The nearest place to get parts could easily be well over 100 miles away. And all this while in one of the harshest environments in North america.

Depending on where they've been in Australia, it could look like Tokyo rush hour...

True, but chances are most Aussies have never seen the real boonies - just like most Americans. But I hardly think a 30 year old bike was restored in the outback, and if it was hundreds of hours must have been wasted traveling for parts.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Rusted Iron » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:28 pm

A campmate bought a beater RV a few years back when he wanted to save the money on a rental. What he spent on blown tires, tows,and repair after repair while on the road, he could have spent on several rentals. It had an exhaust leak that almost ended him and few of the appliances worked. Worse was the time, a two day drive took him four days on the way out and two on the way back only because he junked the RV in Ridgecrest.

There are reasonable RVs out there to buy but a whole lot of crap as well. Every year, we pass many dead on the road.
Rusted Iron

Postby BBadger » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:39 pm

Rusted Iron wrote:A campmate bought a beater RV a few years back when he wanted to save the money on a rental. What he spent on blown tires, tows,and repair after repair while on the road, he could have spent on several rentals. It had an exhaust leak that almost ended him and few of the appliances worked. Worse was the time, a two day drive took him four days on the way out and two on the way back only because he junked the RV in Ridgecrest.

Yeah, but when he's planning to buy-and-dump, what does he care? It'll be the problem of the hippie-suckers that get stuck with it.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby Major Krash » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:39 am

Token wrote:And on top of that we don't use the metric system here and the water flushes down the toilet the wrong way!

Oh the humanity!

Fly to LA.
Rent a one-way car to Sacramento.
Rent a cargo van in Sacramento to take to BRC.
Return van to Sacramento.
Rent car to Vegas / LA

Buy the insurance and remember to drive on the wrong side of the road.

If you are going to BRC to party like an animal, why the heck do you need an RV?

+1

do not rent from U-Haul (they hate burners)
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams
Major Krash

Camp Name: tbd

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:40 pm

I have to debunk something that was said: RV refrigerators keep food cold just fine, in fact I have problems with things getting too cold and icing up sometimes.
Also - RV generators are perfectly suitable for running a refrigerator or whatever you want.

I agree with everyone, being a skilled mechanic won't save you out near Black Rock. I'm a "skilled mechanic" myself, but if the transmission blows (the most likely failure in an old RV travelling the mountain passes to Black Rock) you're screwed.
I've actually had that happen!! I only made it anyway because I live here and have local friends who brought me a truck to tow my trailer back home, where I had a spare RV to head back out in.
Listen to these people about the terrain and environment; it's steep hills and hot temperatures and miles and miles of NOTHING. You can do it in an old rig - IF you've gone through it ahead of time and the motor, trans, radiator, tires, wheel bearings, and u-joints are all fresh. Don't go out there expecting to just fix it on the side of the road when it breaks.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Token » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:52 pm

Don't go out there expecting to just fix it on the side of the road when it breaks.

What side of the road? Never saw any on 447.

8)
Token

Postby Canoe » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I have to debunk something that was said: RV refrigerators keep food cold just fine, in fact I have problems with things getting too cold and icing up sometimes. ..

Depends on the unit.
My propane fridge had cool drinks and frozen popsicles all week, even freezing Freezees when I put them in.
My neighbours had nothing frozen, and drinks barely cool.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby McStrangle » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:37 pm

BBadger wrote:
Rusted Iron wrote:A campmate bought a beater RV a few years back when he wanted to save the money on a rental. What he spent on blown tires, tows,and repair after repair while on the road, he could have spent on several rentals. It had an exhaust leak that almost ended him and few of the appliances worked. Worse was the time, a two day drive took him four days on the way out and two on the way back only because he junked the RV in Ridgecrest.

Yeah, but when he's planning to buy-and-dump, what does he care? It'll be the problem of the hippie-suckers that get stuck with it.

Actually I believe they intended to gift it to ''an homeless''.....so thoughtfull.
Something Pithy
McStrangle

Burning Since: 2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Of course, there are all sorts of flavors of homeless... Many couldn't maintain an rv...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby BBadger » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:21 pm

McStrangle wrote:Actually I believe they intended to gift it to ''an homeless''.....so thoughtfull.

Though pack that RV full of muffin stumps, lobster shells, and chicken skins and they'll jump all over it.

[media]

BBadger

Postby OUtback UFO » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:07 am

My first year was last year... and even with a load of experience in traveling by motorcycle across the planet... that includes the remote deserts of Australia. I learned a lot about camping for 8 days on the Playa. I even had a heavy duty diesel pickup, 14ft cargo trailer, and a large cabin tent.

I found that keeping food from spoiling is a major issue as stated above... even my friends with RVs in the camp i was in had meat spoil on them... I froze rock solid any food that would spoil. I used the big block ice in the my over sized cooler... i got a the large one so i could pack more ice in then i would think i would need. I did not have any of my meat spoil but had some issues. Pack each days of food in its own gallon sized zip lock back.. that way you wont water log you food in the cooler. I also bought some canned food. There is a good variety of quality soups to buy out there. I ate my spoil-able food in the first four days... then ate the canned and boxed stuff. This way I did not get tired of eating the canned food. There is a lot of dry food you can bring and cook on side with a inexpensive two top camping stove... i only used about half a container of propane for my stove... Had one skillet and one pot for cooking. I had two plastic bowls and a set of utensels and one plate... easier to wash it and less trash to haul out.

If i were you...

1. i would rent an large SUV... like a Suburban... get the insurance on the vehicle then you dont get charged a cleaning fee later.. you can sleep in the back if you want...but you can lock up and keep food out of the direct sun...
2. buy a 4 man tent so you have a bit of room in it to sleep... at most sport stores for 30-40US you can get an inflatable mattress.... donate it later...
3. Realize... everything gets coated in dust in some way or another.... THERE IS NO ESCAPE FROM THE DUST... it is a major part of what the Burn is about... buy a dust mask or two or get a respirator and decorate it... take it home as a keep sake. get a extra sheet to cover you sleeping pad and bag/blankets when not sleeping to keep dust off it... you will figure out quickly when it is best to open up and air out you tent....
4, Buy a tarp and some rope to tie the tarp off the large SUV and out over the tents ... will help with the day time heat. Use the 12 inch stake nails (get them at home depot or lowes) they have a rounded head and wont impale someone if they step on them... also you can hammer them down flush with the playa ground.. will keep things in place in the wind.
5. Water... bring twice what you think you need to drink. Also buy some 5-7 gallon water containers to washing water... you can build a quick water trap that is also a solar evaporator for the water to be caught in out of some heavy duty plastic and 4 2x4s... you can take sponge baths also to minimize you washing water needs... both taking in and leaving.
6. Bring some of your own TP... can never know if the portopotties will have any in them when YOU need to GO...
7. Alcohol hand sanitizer is you friend and a lot of sunscreen... wet wipes are good to... though you need to be prepared to have trash bags to haul out all you trash and waste water also...
8. The experience will be nothing what you think and you will learn more about yourself and the idea of what burning man is than you will ever think.
9. REALLY READ OVER THE SURVIVAL GUIDE!!!!! good info in there...
From out of a dream I rode to beyond the Horizon. Got Adventure? The Zen Gear One Meteior Crater surrounded by a lot of roos, emus, Yowies, drop bears and one major flood in the driest desert on Earth... There still was a bottle of red with dinner.
OUtback UFO

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:12 am

Canoe wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote:I have to debunk something that was said: RV refrigerators keep food cold just fine, in fact I have problems with things getting too cold and icing up sometimes. ..

Depends on the unit.
My propane fridge had cool drinks and frozen popsicles all week, even freezing Freezees when I put them in.
My neighbours had nothing frozen, and drinks barely cool.

If that happens, try banging on the tubes on the back of the unit with a piece of 2x4 wood. Beat on 'em pretty good, hard enough to rattle them but not hard enough to break anything. If they sit a while unused, sometimes they jam up and frequently will start cooling properly if you do that.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby teknoGypsy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:20 pm

Thank you all boys and girls! I'm going to reconsider the thing and try to plan something different... but it's bloody expensive, I know, no money on the playa (and eplaya)... but to get there from AU... and live there... requires a lot of effort, damn!
teknoGypsy

Postby Canoe » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:27 am

teknoGypsy wrote:...but to get there from AU... and live there... requires a lot of effort, damn!

Yup.

There's the SUV/car with a tent as someone gave their recommendation.

Watch out for rentals allowed to go to BM. Some Burners have had companies come to the playa and confiscate their vehicles. Search eplaya before renting anything.

And the Box Truck method was summarized too. Box Truck camping is working out very well for many. The thread is a big read, take notes and check your notes at the end to see how it could fit you. For rentals, the Budget on Gentry in Reno is no longer the optimum source (and reportedly sold out too), so getting one this year at a decent price is something you'll have to do some work on. Enterprise was one suggestion I've seen.
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=35289

You can buy ice at BRC. Check this thread for maxing your cooler performance.
viewtopic.php?f=280&t=64782#p948202

If you need or want cooling while on the playa, look into a DIY swamp-cooler. Different sizes, good for tents, vans, box trucks, etc..
STICK TO THE PROVEN DESIGNS & MATERIALS for a quick & easy build, reliable, works well.
viewtopic.php?f=280&t=33842&start=1950#p947515
You can order the parts online and have them shipped to the UPS store in Reno on North McCarran Blvd..
Pads available at Lowe's in Fernley. Perhaps not a good idea to rely on them still being in stock when you drive up. viewtopic.php?f=280&t=33842&p=898717&hilit=lowe%27s+fernley#p898717
FIGJAM wrote:ACE hardware will ship pads to any of thier stores for free, so that way you can save on shipping. 8)
Canoe

Postby PlayaPatrol » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:55 am

teknogypsy how did the camping go? what vehicle did you use?
Eplaya is the same few dozen hate filled trolls shouting into the echo chamber for 4 hours per day, every day, for over a decade.
PlayaPatrol

Return to 2013 Share Resources