Dont have a camp? Join us!!!

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Re: Dont have a camp? Join us!!!

Postby Savannah » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:44 pm

Drmilamores wrote:yeah...My friend is getting in a few days before so shes going to try and get a spot but its not for sure. Either way, we can post on 9:15 & E and go from there...i should be in reno around noon on sunday to finish our shopping then head on to the playa and wait in line lol

There may not be a signpost at 9:15 and E. (If there is, there's no intersection.) Search for "2013 City Plan" on the main site. There is no intersection at 9:15 and E. 9:15 and G, on the other hand, does have an intersection and therefore a signpost, hopefully with a sign (at least in the first few days!) G Street is a better choice anyway, because you're not going to get E Street anyway without Placement.

G Street and beyond--yes.
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Theraplst » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Another suggestion: A center camp meetup on sunday night or monday morning, for anyone who's having trouble figuring out where to camp.
They call me simba
Theraplst

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hotel Rug

Postby Sundial » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:59 pm

Theraplst wrote:Another suggestion: A center camp meetup on sunday night or monday morning, for anyone who's having trouble figuring out where to camp.

I would say anyone joining this camp should be prepared for at least one night of solo camping, just in case.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Sundial

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Frosty Phoques

Postby Savannah » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Theraplst wrote:Another suggestion: A center camp meetup on sunday night or monday morning, for anyone who's having trouble figuring out where to camp.

Nice idea. note: Playa Info is next door and that would be a good opportunity to register an address.

If you meet somewhere big and crowded like Center Camp, specify (for example) the seating closest to the North Side, or some other thing, and "look for the guy in the white top hat." Or whathaveyou. (I would not easily be able to find someone hanging out there.)
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:19 pm

If you can set up on a spoke you will be easy to find! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Airbender » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:57 pm

This has gotten a tremendous response!

So I'm one of the people who camped here last year. We have decided the camp name. This is Camp Hotel Rug. We are going to have the post at the road sign @ 7:00 & C, as well as a registration with Playa info with our final address. Later tonight when I get off work. I'm going to make an inventory of what we currently have, and post it here as a google doc link. In there I'll also add a section for people to confirm.

This is turning out even better than last year. Let's make it a wonderful burn!
Airbender

Postby Firespyder » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:03 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I'm guessing not. the 24th is the Saturday before gate opens. Sounds like he's shopping and all in Reno, and going in on Sunday. He doesn't mention a project or volunteer gig that would get him in early.

you are correct sir, I do not have early access and for the most part planned and entering the playa as the great unknown. I would not only like to help but will probably camp with you fine fellowship of lost souls. I will be in Reno and have space for some people as well if you missed the burner express.
Firespyder

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Drmilamores » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:57 pm

Perfect! Does everyone agree with Hotel Rug? in still debating on taking a keg, what do you guys think??? We took 2 last year and it was more than enough for us and our surrounding family!
Drmilamores

Postby andtheskyopened » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Drmilamores wrote:Hey Guys! Last year was such a success we decided to do it again! We will be taking 3 or 4 easy ups, a large carpet, chairs, music source, food, booze, fire canister and wood, and much more. Last year we took 2 kegs and a jockey system to have cold beer but we are not sure if we are doing that again, still thinking about it! I’m also taking my trailer so we can make a shower on it if we need one. We are all pretty mellow and very respectful! Please feel free to call me or text me at 760-619-8483.

I know this issue has been beaten to death in many other postings, but i am curious if you took your easy ups last year and what that experience was like? I plan on bringing an easy up as well, rig it with some 24inch metal spikes and hope for the best.
andtheskyopened

Postby lemur » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:00 pm

just say no to ezups.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Drmilamores » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:03 pm

we took 3 easyups last year...we had 24 inch spikes and no problems at all...the easy ups hardlly even moved...you just really have to secure it to the ground...should be fine!
Drmilamores

Postby lemur » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:16 pm

if theres one thing that ya gotta know in the black rock desert is: it can kick your ass even when you thought you were prepared.

previous experience may not be a good way to predict the future, have some contingency plans prepared

ive seen well staked down ezups (and other structures) crumpled in to twisted heaps in some strong storms..

the past 2 years have had pretty tame wind speeds.. (in town, in gerlach where weather info was being gathered) ..id say atypical!

http://dongrays.com/burningman2012/
http://dongrays.com/burningman2011/

compared to the years previous to that

http://dongrays.com/burningman2010/
http://dongrays.com/burningman2009/
http://dongrays.com/burningman2008/
http://dongrays.com/burningman2007/
lemur

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:20 pm

the thing about an ez-up is that very same thing that makes it an ez up, can also be a weakness. That leg has a joint in the middle. It will never be as strong as one long pole, or even the two lengths attached with a cotter pin.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Drmilamores » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:29 pm

true...but thats wat we have....if the air gets too crazy we can always remove the covers.
Drmilamores

Postby lemur » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:30 pm

nice dome, bro.

(source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenwithe ... otostream/ )

(not my photo.. but from 2007.. a particularly brutal wind year.. most of the serious damage ive seen at the burn happened 2007-2008-2009)
Last edited by lemur on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lemur

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Well, total disaster can be a great bonding experience...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Sundial » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Note to Self: Get some damn rebar stakes for the tent this year.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Sundial

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Frosty Phoques

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Drmilamores wrote:true...but thats wat we have....if the air gets too crazy we can always remove the covers.

Not if you're out wandering the playa. You could come back and find your e-z up has flown away and smashed someone's windshield.

Anyway, I've seen some survive with a lot of guy lines holding it down, and I've also had one of mine get mangled horribly within half a day on the playa.
Orphan Endorphin Camp - 7:00 and A for 2015
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Dirt Wheel » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:16 pm

Just replace the covers that the hards-ups come with, camo netting. Still plenty of shade and no need to worry went playing on the Playa!
Dirt Wheel

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Blackies

Postby andtheskyopened » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks for all the info, I think swapping out the cover sounds like the right move. Excited to hopefully meet you all and more then willing to contribute what I can.
andtheskyopened

Postby Airbender » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:48 pm

Inventory!

Alright, so I'm making an inventory of the items we are bringing.

Important note: Items in here are assumed to be shared, and meant as a guide for last-minute purchases, and packing. Shared means that if nobody else is using it, you can use it. But it should be returned within a reasonable time for others to use. For things that you are not willing to share with others, it's adviced that you keep them in your tent or in your car.

Feel free to make any changes you see fit. But please try not to erase other people's stuff! I'll be using this to organize my stuff for packing.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Go Camp Hotel Rug!
Airbender

Postby Airbender » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:57 pm

Oh! I also forgot to mention two things:

If you are definitely camping with us, don't forget to put down your name(playa names preferred) in the first page of the spreadsheet along with your expected arrival time.
    You are assumed to take care of your most basic needs(radical self reliance): Water, some place to sleep, sun protection & food. For everything else, we'll find a way to make it work :)
Airbender

Postby Theraplst » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:17 am

I'll be bringing a small propane grill, hookups for small bottles. I won't be able to bring excess of propane though, just a few bottles. we'll see how it works out. I do plan on bringing a bunch of bacon to cook once we get the gang around.

I'll also be bringing a small (manly sized) first aid kid.

Duct tape
Vinegar
Gauze
Anti-septic
Visine
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby Spring » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:23 am

Sounds great! We are a fun couple, first timers, looking for a cool camp with good people to chill out with.

How can we contact you. Any chance that you'll have spot before Sunday?

I'm looking forward to get to BRC!!!
Viv
Spring

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:44 am

Spring wrote:How can we contact you.

ttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing looks like the best bet

Spring wrote:Any chance that you'll have spot before Sunday?

There's not no chance, but as things look now to me (not a member of the camp and I didn't read the document I linked to), they don't have anyone going into the city on Early Arrival. (Most member seem to be first timers, so this is totally normal.) So they've designated the communication and search strategy above.
Burningman is so improvisational anyway. Might as well go whole hog with it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Kikistravels » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:00 pm

Hello everybody,
Just wondering if anyone saw my post few days ago? Two friendly frenchies, BM newbies looking for a camp!?
Could anyone tell us if you still have some space for two nice people and a tent at your camp? If so what participation are you asking for the whole week? (in $).
Please see post from 4 days ago to know more about us.
Thank you
Cindy
Kikistravels

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:33 pm

kikistravels
I suggest you read this thread again, carefully. This is not a camp that costs money, it's a very informal camp that is gathering together among readers of this board. They will be pooling resources for things like shade. I don't know if there will be a kitchen. I imagine that meals would be pretty informal, more pot luck than anything else, or even people each eating his/her own food, at the same time, in the same place.
It's a fantastic way to meet a whole bunch of new people and have some support and a lot of freedom. But not a lot of services.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Drmilamores » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:42 pm

this camp is about meeting new people, having a great time and just having the best burn eveeer! we can all come together and makes something for all of us. So feel free to join us guys. there is no price or anything that has to be paid...lets have an awsome time!!!
Drmilamores

Postby Theraplst » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:47 pm

Kikistravels wrote:Hello everybody,
Just wondering if anyone saw my post few days ago? Two friendly frenchies, BM newbies looking for a camp!?
Could anyone tell us if you still have some space for two nice people and a tent at your camp? If so what participation are you asking for the whole week? (in $).
Please see post from 4 days ago to know more about us.
Thank you
Cindy

You should post your name and eplaya name in this google doc:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsytnAQ0Heb8dEVsdW4tWDg3OC1Cck4tV1BCVTVMNGc#gid=0

We're being told that we'll have a sign at 7:00 and C...

Airbender wrote:This is Camp Hotel Rug. We are going to have the post at the road sign @ 7:00 & C, as well as a registration with Playa info with our final address.

What this means is, when you get to the playa you should park your heinie somewhere temporarily and go to playa info. from there, you can look us up by our new camp name "Camp Hotel Rug." That will have info about us and how to find us.
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby Danger Murphy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:58 pm

This is fantastic, very happy to be in an informal camp.... Although the big organised camps have their advantages, at least this way we can be more self reliant and free, whilst still having the best burn.

Will add to the google doc
Danger Murphy

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Theme Camps